|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Shields' cabin number on the Empress?
2. Who is the first person that Shaw sees after his fight with Gly?
3. Why does Dirk consult Preston Beatty?
4. Who drives Dirk's car to the airport?
5. How many people die after the explosion that Gly sets off?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the President need the copy of the treaty?
2. What message does Shaw want Heidi to pass on to Alan Mercier?
3. What was Massey's plan to get the gold shipment, and what was the outcome?
4. Why does Heidi want to start searching the Empress of Ireland first?
5. What four different systems will be used to tunnel through the Empress?
6. What is odd about the train wreck of the Manhattan Limited?
7. How was the research boat, the De Soto, damaged?
8. What pattern does Gly follow for his assassinations?
9. Who does the President send to help Dirk and his crew?
10. What four things does Dirk tell Moon he has to have if he is going to look for the North American Treaty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Cussler uses imagery to make each scene come alive in the novel. What senses does Cussler usually appeal to?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of suspense in the novel and explain how suspense advances the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the author uses cliffhangers in the novel. Use examples from the novel to show how the author keeps readers on the edge of their seats by using cliffhangers.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)