|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will head up the search for the Manhattan Limited?
2. Who does Dirk want Sandecker to call in to get maps from railroad archives?
3. Where does Shaw take Heidi?
4. What book does Dirk wonder if Harrison Moon IV has ever read?
5. Where does Dirk meet Joe Epstein to discuss some research that Epstein did for Dirk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dirk find at Coles Point?
2. Describe how the Empress of Ireland sank.
3. What damage is done by the explosives that Gly sets off on the Empress?
4. Who was Clement Massey?
5. Why is Sarveux very surprised to see Villon at the end of Chapter 67?
6. What was Massey's plan to get the gold shipment, and what was the outcome?
7. What message does Shaw want Heidi to pass on to Alan Mercier?
8. Why does the President's Chief of Staff meet Dirk at a car auction?
9. What is odd about the train wreck of the Manhattan Limited?
10. What information does Joe Epstein, a columnist for the Baltimore Sun, research for Dirk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what a night probe is and explain why the term is a good title for the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Does the author use third person limited or third person omniscient point of view? Present arguments indicating which point of view the author uses. Use examples from the novel to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether the author does or does not use details that stereotype his characters. Use examples from the novel.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)