|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shields ask a man to find for him?
2. After Dr. King calls Sandecker at home, what does Sandecker forget to do before going back to NUMA?
3. When he is in the hospital, who does Sarveux say that Henri Villon must consult?
4. What time does a ship sink on the St. Lawrence River?
5. How does the Doodlebug survive the torpedo attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mercier meet with the Secretary of Energy, Ronald Klein?
2. What does Quebec Hydro want if they sell electricity to the United States?
3. What safety precautions are in effect at the hydroelectric plant?
4. Why were the tests of the Doodlebug conducted in the Labrador Sea?
5. Why does the dispatcher from Albany call the train station?
6. Why do Dr. King and Sandecker have differing opinions about making the existence of the Doodlebug known?
7. How does Peter Beasley find a reference to the North American Treaty?
8. What is the weather like as Sam Harding waits for the Manhattan Limited?
9. Describe the Doodlebug.
10. What does Brigadier General Simms ask Brian Shaw to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what a night probe is and explain why the term is a good title for the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The author inserts a bit of himself and his family into every book he writes. Explain the different references that Cussler has inserted into the novel and how they refer to Cussler, his work, his maritime organization, or his family.
Essay Topic 3
There are many conflicts in the book. Identify different types of conflict in the novel and compare these conflicts showing how they are and are not related.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)