|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days behind schedule is Giordino at the beginning of Chapter 41?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 5 days.
2. How do Shaw's reinforcements arrive?
(a) By parachute.
(b) In Jeeps.
(c) On foot.
(d) By helicopter.
3. Why does Dirk consult Preston Beatty?
(a) He is an explosives expert.
(b) He is a train analyst.
(c) He is an expert on unsolved crimes.
(d) He is an engineer who specializes in bridges.
4. What top secret program does the President want Mercier and Klein to coordinate with the State Department and Central Intelligence?
(a) Make certain Quebec becomes an independent nation.
(b) Make certain that Quebec does not become an independent nation
(c) Protect Prime Minister Sarveux.
(d) Find the North American Treaty.
5. Who is creating the ghost train?
(a) Clement Massey's brother.
(b) Sam Harding's grandson.
(c) Hiram Meecham's granddaughter.
(d) Ansel Magee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk ask the helicopter pilot, who brings Heidi to the wreck site, to bring on his next run?
2. To whom does the author compare Premier Jules Guerrier's appearance?
3. What is Gly's price for not turning incriminating photographs over to the press?
4. What possible cause of death does Dr. McGovern keep coming back to that might have killed Guerrier?
5. How many hours does Lieutenant Commander Weeks give Dirk to retrieve his men and equipment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dirk believe that Harding and Meechum were fooled the night that the Manhattan Limited disappeared?
2. Why does the President's Chief of Staff meet Dirk at a car auction?
3. What four things does Dirk tell Moon he has to have if he is going to look for the North American Treaty?
4. What does Dirk learn when he takes portions of the bridge to be examined at the Heiser Foundation analytic labs?
5. Why does the President need the copy of the treaty?
6. What message does Shaw want Heidi to pass on to Alan Mercier?
7. Describe how the Empress of Ireland sank.
8. What four different systems will be used to tunnel through the Empress?
9. How does Eric Caldweiler figure out how to get into the quarry?
10. What information does Joe Epstein, a columnist for the Baltimore Sun, research for Dirk?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)