Prologue, Chapter 1-4
1. What is the date in Chapter 1?
(a) September 1914.
(b) August 1912.
(c) July 1911.
(d) May 1914.
2. What nickname has the train engineer given the locomotive?
(b) Gallopin' Lena.
(c) Speeding Stanley.
(d) Steamy Sam.
3. When was the locomotive built?
4. What is Richard Essex doing on the train?
(a) Reading a book.
(b) Writing a letter to his wife.
(d) Playing cards.
5. Where is Harvey Shields in Chapter 1?
(a) In a car.
(b) At home.
(c) On a train.
(d) On a sinking Canadian luxury liner.
6. What can Shields see from where he is at the beginning of the book?
(a) His wife.
(b) Other passengers.
(c) A dead girl.
(d) Other cars.
7. What happens to a ship on the St. Lawrence River?
(c) It runs aground.
(d) Pilot error.
8. What does Shields ask a man to find for him?
(a) A jacket.
(b) Something to eat.
(c) A travel case.
(d) A gas station.
9. What time does a ship sink on the St. Lawrence River?
(a) 3 a.m.
(b) 4 p.m.
(c) 2:10 a.m.
This section contains 3,804 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)