Prologue, Chapter 1-4
• Richard Essex in on a train traveling though the New York countryside, writing a letter to his wife.
• Five soldiers dressed in civilian clothes are playing cards in the same car.
• Harry Shields is on a sinking Canadian luxury liner that was headed for England.
• Shields can see the body of a girl from another cabin.
• The girl's father comes, and Shields asks him to take a paper in his luggage to the Foreign Office in London.
• The boat sinks and Shields drowns.
• Sam Harding, ticket agent for the New York & Quebec Northern Railroad in Wacketshire, New York, notices that the Manhattan Limited is late.
• The Western Union night man, Hiram Meechum, thinks the train is late due to weather.
• A tugboat captain complains that a girder from the train bridge hit his boat.
• The train dispatcher calls someone to check the bridge before the...
This section contains 3,710 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)