|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does John go in Chapter 42 after arriving in the city he has chosen to visit?
2. What does the librarian in Chapter 38 tell John he can do with his borrowed book if he does not need a receipt?
3. What does Jill eventually confess she did with the rented video tape of A MAN AND A WOMAN?
4. What is written on the caller ID when the phone rings at Jill's house several times while John waits for Jill to pack?
5. What is foreshadowing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who all does John tell Jill will be at the meeting the following day?
2. Who does Dom Fanelli tell John was waiting for Kate at the airport?
3. What does John hear as he approaches the North Tower a few minutes behind Jill and Kate?
4. What strange phone call does John get just after learning where he can find Jill Winslow?
5. What is significant about the pink receipt John is able to locate with the help of the hotel manager for a VCR tape the couple in room 203 took out the night of the plane crash?
6. What does Jill promise to do for John when Kate arrives?
7. What does John find at home after searching all day for Kate?
8. With whom does John fight at his and Kate's going away party and why?
9. What important detail is Roxanne able to supply John about an item that is no longer available in the Bayview Hotel rooms now, but was in 1996?
10. What does Kate have to say about the conspiracy to hide the tape when John is done catching her up on the case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jill Winslow? Why was Jill on the beach the night Flight 800 went down? What did Jill see? Why does Jill quickly leave the scene? Who is Jill with? How does this companion influence Jill's decision to copy the tape? Why does Jill keep the tape to herself for five years? Why does Jill eventually give the tape to John? How does the discovery of this tape change the direction of John's investigation? What does the tape prove?
Essay Topic 2
Why does John dislike Nash? What does John believe the relationship is between Nash and his wife, Kate? How often does this suggestion come up throughout the novel? Who makes the suggestion? How does this knowledge affect John's behavior in dealing with these people? How does this situation affect John's relationship with his wife? Does John trust his wife? How does the reader know if John trusts his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time in which the novel is set predict the end of the novel? What impact could John's investigation have had on the attacks of September 11 had he not been sent to Yemen? Why does the author arrange the final meeting between John and Nash in the North Tower of the World Trade Center? How do the deaths of Nash and Koenig in the World Trade Center stop John from going public with all he knows about the crash of TWA Flight 800?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)