|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people is not invited to the meeting the following morning, as John explains to Jill in Chapter 50?
2. How does John react when Kate arrives in Chapter 52?
3. What room does John request when he arrives at the hotel?
4. What does John find when he returns to his apartment?
5. What threat is made against John during this phone call in Chapter 50?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John ensure that Jill Winslow's husband will not be home when he goes to talk to her?
2. Where does John take Jill after ditching his car in a university parking lot?
3. On what day does John return from Yemen? Why is this day significant?
4. Who all does John tell Jill will be at the meeting the following day?
5. What method does Jill insist was used to destroy the original videotape of the plane crash?
6. What is Roxanne able to tell John that she recalls of room 203 when she cleaned it the night of the plane crash?
7. With whom does John fight at his and Kate's going away party and why?
8. What threat does Koenig make to John when they speak the day before the scheduled meeting?
9. What does John find at home after searching all day for Kate?
10. Who arranges for John, Jill, and Kate to have a police escort the following day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following relationships and how they influence the development of the plot:
1) John and Kate
2) Jill and Bud
3) John and Nash
4) Kate and Nash
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jack Koenig. Why does Koenig dislike John? Why do John and Koenig get into disagreements several times in the novel? Why does Koenig send John to Yemen? What might John have been able to prevent if he had finished his investigation into Flight 800 instead of going to Yemen? What was Jack Koenig afraid John might discover? Why does John invite Koenig to the final meeting regarding the VCR tape? What does John think Koenig will do with the tape?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the video tape. What was on the video tape? Why did Jill Winslow hide it for so many years? Why did Jill make a copy in the first place? Why did Bud erase the original tape? Who has the original tape? What does John believe was done with the original tape? How does John know this? What does Jill force John to watch on the tape before it comes to the part he is most interested in? Why?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)