|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John see when the video reaches the part in which TWA Flight 800 crashes?
2. What threat is made against John during this phone call in Chapter 50?
3. What does the librarian in Chapter 38 tell John he can do with his borrowed book if he does not need a receipt?
4. Where does John go in Chapter 35 after interviewing a maid from the Bayview Hotel?
5. What explanation does John receive in Chapter 41 for the current location of the videotape taken by the lovers the night Flight 800 crashed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John know that Jill made a copy of the videotape?
2. What threat does Koenig make to John when they speak the day before the scheduled meeting?
3. Where does John arrange to meet with Nash the following morning? What is significant about this location?
4. What does Kate have to say about the conspiracy to hide the tape when John is done catching her up on the case?
5. What method does Jill insist was used to destroy the original videotape of the plane crash?
6. How many cars do John, Jill, and Kate take to the North Tower? For what reason?
7. Who all does John tell Jill will be at the meeting the following day?
8. What is Jill's biggest fear now that John knows the truth about the videotape?
9. What reason does John give the police for wanting to speak to Jill Winslow?
10. What is Roxanne able to tell John that she recalls of room 203 when she cleaned it the night of the plane crash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jack Koenig. Why does Koenig dislike John? Why do John and Koenig get into disagreements several times in the novel? Why does Koenig send John to Yemen? What might John have been able to prevent if he had finished his investigation into Flight 800 instead of going to Yemen? What was Jack Koenig afraid John might discover? Why does John invite Koenig to the final meeting regarding the VCR tape? What does John think Koenig will do with the tape?
Essay Topic 2
Why does John dislike Nash? What does John believe the relationship is between Nash and his wife, Kate? How often does this suggestion come up throughout the novel? Who makes the suggestion? How does this knowledge affect John's behavior in dealing with these people? How does this situation affect John's relationship with his wife? Does John trust his wife? How does the reader know if John trusts his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one of the following settings:
1) Westhampton and John's small apartment
2) Windows on the World Restaurant and the small Greek coffee shop
3) Bayview Hotel and the Plaza Hotel.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)