|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the maid from the Bayview Hotel tell John interviewed her the day after the crash of TWA Flight 800?
2. Why does John want to speak with Jill Winslow?
3. To where does John go in Chapter 42 after arriving in the city he has chosen to visit?
4. To what city does John decide to visit in Chapter 42?
5. What room does John request when he arrives at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Roxanne able to tell John that she recalls of room 203 when she cleaned it the night of the plane crash?
2. Where does John take Jill after ditching his car in a university parking lot?
3. How many cars do John, Jill, and Kate take to the North Tower? For what reason?
4. How does John know that Jill made a copy of the videotape?
5. What strange phone call does John get just after learning where he can find Jill Winslow?
6. What does Nash first tell John about the crash of Flight 800 when they meet on the beach?
7. John returns to the Bayview Hotel and learns what about the process to check out books from the hotel library?
8. What is significant about the pink receipt John is able to locate with the help of the hotel manager for a VCR tape the couple in room 203 took out the night of the plane crash?
9. On what day does John return from Yemen? Why is this day significant?
10. What does Nash claim was on the videotape the couple on the beach took the night of the plane crash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ted Nash. Who is Ted Nash? Why does John believe he is dead at the beginning of the novel? How does John learn Nash is still alive? Why does Nash reveal this truth to John? What is Nash afraid John will learn? Did Nash have an affair with John's wife? Why do several characters claim that Kate and Nash were lovers? What does Nash tell John about the couple who videotaped the crash? What does Nash say about the videotape? Is this true? Why does Nash offer this explanation to John?
Essay Topic 2
What does the CIA say about the many witnesses who thought they saw an orange light moving toward the plane the night Flight 800 crashed? How do they support this claim? Who disputes this claim? What does Kate think of this claim? What is the readers first clue that this claim by the CIA might not be true? What does the videotape show? Is the orange light moving toward the plane or is it the burning fuselage falling to the ocean? How does the reader know for sure which it is?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following relationships and how they influence the development of the plot:
1) John and Kate
2) Jill and Bud
3) John and Nash
4) Kate and Nash
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)