|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does John go in Chapter 42 after arriving in the city he has chosen to visit?
2. How does John react after watching the video tape of the plane crash?
3. Where do John and the hotel employee find the receipt he has requested?
4. What deal does Ted Nash want to make with John in regards to the videotape he now knows John has?
5. What movie does John ask JIll to get a copy of while she is out shopping in Chapter 49?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John find at home after searching all day for Kate?
2. What does Nash claim was on the videotape the couple on the beach took the night of the plane crash?
3. What does Nash ask of John when he hears the title of the movie John plans to allow him to view at their meeting?
4. What is Jill's biggest fear now that John knows the truth about the videotape?
5. What does Nash first tell John about the crash of Flight 800 when they meet on the beach?
6. Where does John go after speaking to Nash?
7. What does John find when he goes to the Plaza to retrieve the videotape from the hotel safety deposit box?
8. Who does Dom Fanelli tell John was waiting for Kate at the airport?
9. What does John hear as he approaches the North Tower a few minutes behind Jill and Kate?
10. On what day does John return from Yemen? Why is this day significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss John's decision to continue pursuing the investigation even after being warned away. Why did John begin investigating the crash? Why does he continue to investigate? What is John's overall goal in investigating this crash? Does John go into the investigation with the belief that terrorists are involved, or does John have some other motive for beginning this investigation? How many times is John warned to stay away from the investigation? Who gives these warnings? What are their motives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time in which the novel is set predict the end of the novel? What impact could John's investigation have had on the attacks of September 11 had he not been sent to Yemen? Why does the author arrange the final meeting between John and Nash in the North Tower of the World Trade Center? How do the deaths of Nash and Koenig in the World Trade Center stop John from going public with all he knows about the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one of the following settings:
1) Westhampton and John's small apartment
2) Windows on the World Restaurant and the small Greek coffee shop
3) Bayview Hotel and the Plaza Hotel.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)