|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the maid suggest the couple did in the few hours after arriving at the hotel?
2. Who does John request to see when he takes a room in a hotel in Chapter 35?
3. How does John react when Kate arrives in Chapter 52?
4. What is significant about the location of the meeting regarding the videotape?
5. Who does John set up a meeting with the following day, September 11, at the Windows on the World restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John ensure that Jill Winslow's husband will not be home when he goes to talk to her?
2. What does Nash claim was on the videotape the couple on the beach took the night of the plane crash?
3. Where does John arrange to meet with Nash the following morning? What is significant about this location?
4. What method does Jill insist was used to destroy the original videotape of the plane crash?
5. What threat does Koenig make to John when they speak the day before the scheduled meeting?
6. On what day does John return from Yemen? Why is this day significant?
7. Who all does John tell Jill will be at the meeting the following day?
8. What does John find when he goes to the Plaza to retrieve the videotape from the hotel safety deposit box?
9. What is Jill's biggest fear now that John knows the truth about the videotape?
10. What does John hear as he approaches the North Tower a few minutes behind Jill and Kate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jill Winslow? Why was Jill on the beach the night Flight 800 went down? What did Jill see? Why does Jill quickly leave the scene? Who is Jill with? How does this companion influence Jill's decision to copy the tape? Why does Jill keep the tape to herself for five years? Why does Jill eventually give the tape to John? How does the discovery of this tape change the direction of John's investigation? What does the tape prove?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the real story behind TWA Flight 800. When did the plane go down? What was the explanation the NTSB gave the American public? What were some of the theories about how the plane might have crashed? How do these theories compare to the ones suggested in the novel? How does the comparison between reality and the story of Flight 800 in the novel create a plausible plot? Is it possible Flight 800 was a precursor to the September 11 attacks?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following relationships and how they influence the development of the plot:
1) John and Kate
2) Jill and Bud
3) John and Nash
4) Kate and Nash
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)