|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does John ask if he was in on the cover-up regarding the videotape?
2. What does John ask Jill to do with the tape in Chapter 47?
3. What story does John use in Chapter 43 to get close to a suspect?
4. What is foreshadowing?
5. Who does John send to meet Kate at the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who all does John tell Jill will be at the meeting the following day?
2. What important detail is Roxanne able to supply John about an item that is no longer available in the Bayview Hotel rooms now, but was in 1996?
3. What is significant about the pink receipt John is able to locate with the help of the hotel manager for a VCR tape the couple in room 203 took out the night of the plane crash?
4. How many cars do John, Jill, and Kate take to the North Tower? For what reason?
5. With whom does John fight at his and Kate's going away party and why?
6. What does Nash claim was on the videotape the couple on the beach took the night of the plane crash?
7. What does John hear as he approaches the North Tower a few minutes behind Jill and Kate?
8. Where does John arrange to meet with Nash the following morning? What is significant about this location?
9. Who does John find waiting for him on the beach when he goes to meet with his mysterious caller?
10. How does John ensure that Jill Winslow's husband will not be home when he goes to talk to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, everyone involved in the investigation dies except for John and Kate. How does this cause a credibility problem for John and Kate? Does John have a copy of the videotape? What happened to all the copies of the tape? What would John do with the tape if one still existed? Who might believe John without a tape and without a witness? What does this imply about the real story of the crash of TWA Flight 800? Is it possible John's story could be accurate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write a descriptive passage that discusses the motivation of one of the following characters and how that motivation impacts the development of the plot:
1) John Corey
2) Kate Mayfield
3) Jack Koenig
4) Ted Nash
Essay Topic 3
Discuss John's decision to continue pursuing the investigation even after being warned away. Why did John begin investigating the crash? Why does he continue to investigate? What is John's overall goal in investigating this crash? Does John go into the investigation with the belief that terrorists are involved, or does John have some other motive for beginning this investigation? How many times is John warned to stay away from the investigation? Who gives these warnings? What are their motives?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)