|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jill eventually confess she did with the rented video tape of A MAN AND A WOMAN?
2. What does Jill tell John in Chapter 45 happened to the original video tape taken the night of the crash of Flight 800?
3. Why does John want to speak with Jill Winslow?
4. What does John see when the video reaches the part in which TWA Flight 800 crashes?
5. How does John react after watching the video tape of the plane crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jill's biggest fear now that John knows the truth about the videotape?
2. What strange phone call does John get just after learning where he can find Jill Winslow?
3. What does Nash claim was on the videotape the couple on the beach took the night of the plane crash?
4. What reason does John give the police for wanting to speak to Jill Winslow?
5. What does Kate have to say about the conspiracy to hide the tape when John is done catching her up on the case?
6. What does John find when he goes to the Plaza to retrieve the videotape from the hotel safety deposit box?
7. Who does John find waiting for him on the beach when he goes to meet with his mysterious caller?
8. What does Jill promise to do for John when Kate arrives?
9. What important detail is Roxanne able to supply John about an item that is no longer available in the Bayview Hotel rooms now, but was in 1996?
10. What does John hear as he approaches the North Tower a few minutes behind Jill and Kate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Bayview Hotel. What is the Bayview Hotel? What role does this hotel play in the investigation both when the crash happened and five years later when John begins re-investigating? Why did the FBI focus on this hotel? Why are all the employees who came into direct contact with the videotaping couple disappear? Why can John not find the records that deal with these employees or with the FBI agents who stayed at the hotel during the initial investigation? What does this imply about the actions of the original investigators?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the real story behind TWA Flight 800. When did the plane go down? What was the explanation the NTSB gave the American public? What were some of the theories about how the plane might have crashed? How do these theories compare to the ones suggested in the novel? How does the comparison between reality and the story of Flight 800 in the novel create a plausible plot? Is it possible Flight 800 was a precursor to the September 11 attacks?
Essay Topic 3
What does the CIA say about the many witnesses who thought they saw an orange light moving toward the plane the night Flight 800 crashed? How do they support this claim? Who disputes this claim? What does Kate think of this claim? What is the readers first clue that this claim by the CIA might not be true? What does the videotape show? Is the orange light moving toward the plane or is it the burning fuselage falling to the ocean? How does the reader know for sure which it is?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)