|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jill Winslow's husband go in Chapter 44 that allows John to speak to her alone?
2. What does John describe as the game ball in his description of the meeting to take place on September 11?
3. What receipt does John ask to be shown in Chapter 36?
4. What deal does Ted Nash want to make with John in regards to the videotape he now knows John has?
5. What does the maid tell John she found in an ashtray when she cleaned Room 203?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question plagues John as he waits for Dom Fanelli to locate Jill Winslow?
2. How does John ensure that Jill Winslow's husband will not be home when he goes to talk to her?
3. What does John find when he goes to the Plaza to retrieve the videotape from the hotel safety deposit box?
4. What method does Jill insist was used to destroy the original videotape of the plane crash?
5. How many cars do John, Jill, and Kate take to the North Tower? For what reason?
6. What does Kate have to say about the conspiracy to hide the tape when John is done catching her up on the case?
7. What is Roxanne able to tell John that she recalls of room 203 when she cleaned it the night of the plane crash?
8. Who does Dom Fanelli tell John was waiting for Kate at the airport?
9. What is significant about the pink receipt John is able to locate with the help of the hotel manager for a VCR tape the couple in room 203 took out the night of the plane crash?
10. What important detail is Roxanne able to supply John about an item that is no longer available in the Bayview Hotel rooms now, but was in 1996?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the importance of each of these items on the overall development of the plot:
1) Camera lens cap
2) Hotel blanket
3) Band aid
4) A Man and A Woman VCR movie.
Essay Topic 2
In the end, everyone involved in the investigation dies except for John and Kate. How does this cause a credibility problem for John and Kate? Does John have a copy of the videotape? What happened to all the copies of the tape? What would John do with the tape if one still existed? Who might believe John without a tape and without a witness? What does this imply about the real story of the crash of TWA Flight 800? Is it possible John's story could be accurate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the real story behind TWA Flight 800. When did the plane go down? What was the explanation the NTSB gave the American public? What were some of the theories about how the plane might have crashed? How do these theories compare to the ones suggested in the novel? How does the comparison between reality and the story of Flight 800 in the novel create a plausible plot? Is it possible Flight 800 was a precursor to the September 11 attacks?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)