|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is foreshadowing?
2. Where does Jill Winslow's husband go in Chapter 44 that allows John to speak to her alone?
3. How long does John wait after the husband has left before ringing Jill Winslow's doorbell in Chapter 44?
4. What threat is made against John during this phone call in Chapter 50?
5. Who does John get into an argument with at the going away party in Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John hear as he approaches the North Tower a few minutes behind Jill and Kate?
2. Who does John find waiting for him on the beach when he goes to meet with his mysterious caller?
3. What is Jill's biggest fear now that John knows the truth about the videotape?
4. Who all does John tell Jill will be at the meeting the following day?
5. With whom does John fight at his and Kate's going away party and why?
6. What does Nash first tell John about the crash of Flight 800 when they meet on the beach?
7. What strange phone call does John get just after learning where he can find Jill Winslow?
8. What reason does John give the police for wanting to speak to Jill Winslow?
9. Who does Dom Fanelli tell John was waiting for Kate at the airport?
10. Who arranges for John, Jill, and Kate to have a police escort the following day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, everyone involved in the investigation dies except for John and Kate. How does this cause a credibility problem for John and Kate? Does John have a copy of the videotape? What happened to all the copies of the tape? What would John do with the tape if one still existed? Who might believe John without a tape and without a witness? What does this imply about the real story of the crash of TWA Flight 800? Is it possible John's story could be accurate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss John's decision to continue pursuing the investigation even after being warned away. Why did John begin investigating the crash? Why does he continue to investigate? What is John's overall goal in investigating this crash? Does John go into the investigation with the belief that terrorists are involved, or does John have some other motive for beginning this investigation? How many times is John warned to stay away from the investigation? Who gives these warnings? What are their motives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following relationships and how they influence the development of the plot:
1) John and Kate
2) Jill and Bud
3) John and Nash
4) Kate and Nash
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)