|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does John call to find his new suspect in Chapter 37?
2. What threat is made against John during this phone call in Chapter 50?
3. What does Jill force John to watch when she shows him the videotape of the plane crash?
4. How many cars do John and Kate take to the meeting the following morning?
5. Why does John rent a car and drive to Philadelphia at the end of Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important detail is Roxanne able to supply John about an item that is no longer available in the Bayview Hotel rooms now, but was in 1996?
2. How does John know that Jill made a copy of the videotape?
3. What does Kate have to say about the conspiracy to hide the tape when John is done catching her up on the case?
4. What strange phone call does John get just after learning where he can find Jill Winslow?
5. What does John find when he goes to the Plaza to retrieve the videotape from the hotel safety deposit box?
6. What is Jill's biggest fear now that John knows the truth about the videotape?
7. What threat does Koenig make to John when they speak the day before the scheduled meeting?
8. What is Roxanne able to tell John that she recalls of room 203 when she cleaned it the night of the plane crash?
9. Who does Dom Fanelli tell John was waiting for Kate at the airport?
10. Who arranges for John, Jill, and Kate to have a police escort the following day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the CIA say about the many witnesses who thought they saw an orange light moving toward the plane the night Flight 800 crashed? How do they support this claim? Who disputes this claim? What does Kate think of this claim? What is the readers first clue that this claim by the CIA might not be true? What does the videotape show? Is the orange light moving toward the plane or is it the burning fuselage falling to the ocean? How does the reader know for sure which it is?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time in which the novel is set predict the end of the novel? What impact could John's investigation have had on the attacks of September 11 had he not been sent to Yemen? Why does the author arrange the final meeting between John and Nash in the North Tower of the World Trade Center? How do the deaths of Nash and Koenig in the World Trade Center stop John from going public with all he knows about the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jack Koenig. Why does Koenig dislike John? Why do John and Koenig get into disagreements several times in the novel? Why does Koenig send John to Yemen? What might John have been able to prevent if he had finished his investigation into Flight 800 instead of going to Yemen? What was Jack Koenig afraid John might discover? Why does John invite Koenig to the final meeting regarding the VCR tape? What does John think Koenig will do with the tape?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)