|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John learn about Marie Gubitosi before he goes to see her?
2. Who made the video John watches that refutes mechanical failure as the cause of the crash of Flight 800?
3. What is the name of the manager of the hotel where the videotaping lovers were staying?
4. What part of the investigation did the FBI hide from Marie?
5. Why does Tom Spruck not believe an American missile could have caused the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Kate take John in order for him to view the wreckage of the plane?
2. How did Kate come to know which hotel the blanket found on the beach near the camera lens cap belonged to?
3. What kind of camera did Nash tell Kate the lens cap came from?
4. What theory of the CIA does Kate not support and John doubts?
5. What does Koenig imply about Kate's relationship with Ted Nash during his meeting with John to go over his assignment in Yemen?
6. What is the CIA's theory as to the orange light many witnesses reported seeing coming from the ocean toward the plane?
7. What name does John ask Dick Kearns to give him in relation to the investigation?
8. Why does Kate suspect Koenig wants to see her the following morning and Steiner wants to see John?
9. What does Jill see in the sky just before the plane explodes?
10. Why does John insist that a videotape of the crash of TWA Flight 800 might not be the key piece of evidence Kate hopes it will be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jack Koenig. Why does Koenig dislike John? Why do John and Koenig get into disagreements several times in the novel? Why does Koenig send John to Yemen? What might John have been able to prevent if he had finished his investigation into Flight 800 instead of going to Yemen? What was Jack Koenig afraid John might discover? Why does John invite Koenig to the final meeting regarding the VCR tape? What does John think Koenig will do with the tape?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Bayview Hotel. What is the Bayview Hotel? What role does this hotel play in the investigation both when the crash happened and five years later when John begins re-investigating? Why did the FBI focus on this hotel? Why are all the employees who came into direct contact with the videotaping couple disappear? Why can John not find the records that deal with these employees or with the FBI agents who stayed at the hotel during the initial investigation? What does this imply about the actions of the original investigators?
Essay Topic 3
Write a descriptive passage that discusses the motivation of one of the following characters and how that motivation impacts the development of the plot:
1) John Corey
2) Kate Mayfield
3) Jack Koenig
4) Ted Nash
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)