Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Siben insist was the cause of the plane crash?
2. Why does Kate insist she cannot get involved in re-investigating the crash of TWA Flight 800?
3. Where does Kate take John after leaving Tom Spruck?
4. What is the most significant item found on this beach?
5. For whom does John Corey work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange phone call does John get just after learning where he can find Jill Winslow?
2. What question plagues John as he waits for Dom Fanelli to locate Jill Winslow?
3. What does Kate tell John about how she came to know about the police finding the blanket from Bayview Hotel on the beach the night of the crash?
4. Who does John find waiting for him on the beach when he goes to meet with his mysterious caller?
5. What does Jill promise to do for John when Kate arrives?
6. Why does John insist that a videotape of the crash of TWA Flight 800 might not be the key piece of evidence Kate hopes it will be?
7. What does Nash ask of John when he hears the title of the movie John plans to allow him to view at their meeting?
8. What question comes to John's mind after he views both the hotel room and the spot on the beach where the couple possibly videotaped the plane crash?
9. What is significant about the pink receipt John is able to locate with the help of the hotel manager for a VCR tape the couple in room 203 took out the night of the plane crash?
10. John returns to the Bayview Hotel and learns what about the process to check out books from the hotel library?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jack Koenig. Why does Koenig dislike John? Why do John and Koenig get into disagreements several times in the novel? Why does Koenig send John to Yemen? What might John have been able to prevent if he had finished his investigation into Flight 800 instead of going to Yemen? What was Jack Koenig afraid John might discover? Why does John invite Koenig to the final meeting regarding the VCR tape? What does John think Koenig will do with the tape?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Jill Winslow? Why was Jill on the beach the night Flight 800 went down? What did Jill see? Why does Jill quickly leave the scene? Who is Jill with? How does this companion influence Jill's decision to copy the tape? Why does Jill keep the tape to herself for five years? Why does Jill eventually give the tape to John? How does the discovery of this tape change the direction of John's investigation? What does the tape prove?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time in which the novel is set predict the end of the novel? What impact could John's investigation have had on the attacks of September 11 had he not been sent to Yemen? Why does the author arrange the final meeting between John and Nash in the North Tower of the World Trade Center? How do the deaths of Nash and Koenig in the World Trade Center stop John from going public with all he knows about the crash of TWA Flight 800?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)