|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theory does Kate claim is in a category all its own?
2. How does Kate tell John she learned the name of the hotel on the blanket?
3. Who helps John find Marie Gubitosi?
4. What have Jill and Bud come to the beach to do?
5. Why does Kate insist she cannot get involved in re-investigating the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Short Essay Questions
1. John returns to the Bayview Hotel and learns what about the process to check out books from the hotel library?
2. Who does John ask Fanelli to find and for what purpose?
3. Why does Kate tell John she would like him to re-investigate the crash of TWA Flight 800?
4. How does Tom Spruck explain his theory when previous investigators have already ruled them out?
5. What is significant about the pink receipt John is able to locate with the help of the hotel manager for a VCR tape the couple in room 203 took out the night of the plane crash?
6. Where does John arrange to meet with Nash the following morning? What is significant about this location?
7. What does John hear as he approaches the North Tower a few minutes behind Jill and Kate?
8. How did Kate come to know which hotel the blanket found on the beach near the camera lens cap belonged to?
9. What do John and Kate agree to do if anyone asks about their re-investigation into the crash of TWA Flight 800?
10. What does Jill promise to do for John when Kate arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time in which the novel is set predict the end of the novel? What impact could John's investigation have had on the attacks of September 11 had he not been sent to Yemen? Why does the author arrange the final meeting between John and Nash in the North Tower of the World Trade Center? How do the deaths of Nash and Koenig in the World Trade Center stop John from going public with all he knows about the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ted Nash. Who is Ted Nash? Why does John believe he is dead at the beginning of the novel? How does John learn Nash is still alive? Why does Nash reveal this truth to John? What is Nash afraid John will learn? Did Nash have an affair with John's wife? Why do several characters claim that Kate and Nash were lovers? What does Nash tell John about the couple who videotaped the crash? What does Nash say about the videotape? Is this true? Why does Nash offer this explanation to John?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kate Mayfield. How does Kate know John? How does their relationship affect Kate's influence over John's decision to investigate Flight 800? Why does Kate want the crash re-investigated? What is her motivation? Why was Kate not allowed to investigate the blanket found on the beach after the crash? Why was she reprimanded for discovering which hotel the blanket came from? Why do all of John's enemies continuously imply that Kate had an affair with Nash? Did she?
This section contains 2,111 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)