|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel on the blanket found on the beach the night of the crash of Flight 800?
2. What building can John see from his apartment's balcony that was attacked by a terrorist's bomb in 1993?
3. Who does John arrange to meet at a local restaurant?
4. What did Spruck see the night TWA Flight 800 crashed?
5. Where does John learn that Koenig is sending Kate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do John and Kate agree to do if anyone asks about their re-investigation into the crash of TWA Flight 800?
2. Who is Sidney R. Siben and how does he discredit eye witness reports of an object flying toward the plane from the ocean?
3. Who does John ask Fanelli to find and for what purpose?
4. What did the police find on a public beach within view of the plane crash that Kate now feels is significant to the investigation?
5. Why does John insist that a videotape of the crash of TWA Flight 800 might not be the key piece of evidence Kate hopes it will be?
6. For what purpose does John ask to see the personnel files of those employees who came into contact with the couple with the video camera? What does he find?
7. What is the CIA's theory as to the orange light many witnesses reported seeing coming from the ocean toward the plane?
8. What theory of the CIA does Kate not support and John doubts?
9. How does Tom Spruck explain his theory when previous investigators have already ruled them out?
10. Why does Kate tell John she would like him to re-investigate the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time in which the novel is set predict the end of the novel? What impact could John's investigation have had on the attacks of September 11 had he not been sent to Yemen? Why does the author arrange the final meeting between John and Nash in the North Tower of the World Trade Center? How do the deaths of Nash and Koenig in the World Trade Center stop John from going public with all he knows about the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the real story behind TWA Flight 800. When did the plane go down? What was the explanation the NTSB gave the American public? What were some of the theories about how the plane might have crashed? How do these theories compare to the ones suggested in the novel? How does the comparison between reality and the story of Flight 800 in the novel create a plausible plot? Is it possible Flight 800 was a precursor to the September 11 attacks?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following relationships and how they influence the development of the plot:
1) John and Kate
2) Jill and Bud
3) John and Nash
4) Kate and Nash
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)