|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Siben insist was the cause of the plane crash?
2. Why does Kate insist she cannot get involved in re-investigating the crash of TWA Flight 800?
3. Where does Kate take John after leaving Tom Spruck?
4. What is the most significant item found on this beach?
5. For whom does John Corey work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange phone call does John get just after learning where he can find Jill Winslow?
2. What question plagues John as he waits for Dom Fanelli to locate Jill Winslow?
3. What does Kate tell John about how she came to know about the police finding the blanket from Bayview Hotel on the beach the night of the crash?
4. Who does John find waiting for him on the beach when he goes to meet with his mysterious caller?
5. What does Jill promise to do for John when Kate arrives?
6. Why does John insist that a videotape of the crash of TWA Flight 800 might not be the key piece of evidence Kate hopes it will be?
7. What does Nash ask of John when he hears the title of the movie John plans to allow him to view at their meeting?
8. What question comes to John's mind after he views both the hotel room and the spot on the beach where the couple possibly videotaped the plane crash?
9. What is significant about the pink receipt John is able to locate with the help of the hotel manager for a VCR tape the couple in room 203 took out the night of the plane crash?
10. John returns to the Bayview Hotel and learns what about the process to check out books from the hotel library?
Essay Topic 1
Why does John dislike Nash? What does John believe the relationship is between Nash and his wife, Kate? How often does this suggestion come up throughout the novel? Who makes the suggestion? How does this knowledge affect John's behavior in dealing with these people? How does this situation affect John's relationship with his wife? Does John trust his wife? How does the reader know if John trusts his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, including examples from the novel:
2) Political conspiracy
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kate Mayfield. How does Kate know John? How does their relationship affect Kate's influence over John's decision to investigate Flight 800? Why does Kate want the crash re-investigated? What is her motivation? Why was Kate not allowed to investigate the blanket found on the beach after the crash? Why was she reprimanded for discovering which hotel the blanket came from? Why do all of John's enemies continuously imply that Kate had an affair with Nash? Did she?
This section contains 2,132 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)