|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the manager of the hotel where the videotaping lovers were staying?
2. What building can John see from his apartment's balcony that was attacked by a terrorist's bomb in 1993?
3. What warning about his employees does John give Rosenthal in Chapter 25?
4. The deaths of how many people are being memorialized in Chapter 3?
5. Why does Kate insist she cannot get involved in re-investigating the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what purpose does John ask to see the personnel files of those employees who came into contact with the couple with the video camera? What does he find?
2. Who is Sidney R. Siben and how does he discredit eye witness reports of an object flying toward the plane from the ocean?
3. Why does John insist that a videotape of the crash of TWA Flight 800 might not be the key piece of evidence Kate hopes it will be?
4. Why do John Corey and Kate Mayfield go to a memorial on the beach each year?
5. What does Koenig imply about Kate's relationship with Ted Nash during his meeting with John to go over his assignment in Yemen?
6. What question comes to John's mind after he views both the hotel room and the spot on the beach where the couple possibly videotaped the plane crash?
7. How did Kate come to know which hotel the blanket found on the beach near the camera lens cap belonged to?
8. What key evidence did the FBI hide from Marie Gubitosi while she was investigating the couple from the beach?
9. Why does Kate tell John she would like him to re-investigate the crash of TWA Flight 800?
10. What are the seven theories of the plane crash that Kate tells John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, including examples from the novel:
2) Political conspiracy
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Bayview Hotel. What is the Bayview Hotel? What role does this hotel play in the investigation both when the crash happened and five years later when John begins re-investigating? Why did the FBI focus on this hotel? Why are all the employees who came into direct contact with the videotaping couple disappear? Why can John not find the records that deal with these employees or with the FBI agents who stayed at the hotel during the initial investigation? What does this imply about the actions of the original investigators?
Essay Topic 3
Why does John dislike Nash? What does John believe the relationship is between Nash and his wife, Kate? How often does this suggestion come up throughout the novel? Who makes the suggestion? How does this knowledge affect John's behavior in dealing with these people? How does this situation affect John's relationship with his wife? Does John trust his wife? How does the reader know if John trusts his wife?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)