|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Siben insist was the cause of the plane crash?
2. Why does Kate insist she cannot get involved in re-investigating the crash of TWA Flight 800?
3. Where does Kate take John after leaving Tom Spruck?
4. What is the most significant item found on this beach?
5. For whom does John Corey work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange phone call does John get just after learning where he can find Jill Winslow?
2. What question plagues John as he waits for Dom Fanelli to locate Jill Winslow?
3. What does Kate tell John about how she came to know about the police finding the blanket from Bayview Hotel on the beach the night of the crash?
4. Who does John find waiting for him on the beach when he goes to meet with his mysterious caller?
5. What does Jill promise to do for John when Kate arrives?
6. Why does John insist that a videotape of the crash of TWA Flight 800 might not be the key piece of evidence Kate hopes it will be?
7. What does Nash ask of John when he hears the title of the movie John plans to allow him to view at their meeting?
8. What question comes to John's mind after he views both the hotel room and the spot on the beach where the couple possibly videotaped the plane crash?
9. What is significant about the pink receipt John is able to locate with the help of the hotel manager for a VCR tape the couple in room 203 took out the night of the plane crash?
10. John returns to the Bayview Hotel and learns what about the process to check out books from the hotel library?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following relationships and how they influence the development of the plot:
1) John and Kate
2) Jill and Bud
3) John and Nash
4) Kate and Nash
Essay Topic 2
Why does John dislike Nash? What does John believe the relationship is between Nash and his wife, Kate? How often does this suggestion come up throughout the novel? Who makes the suggestion? How does this knowledge affect John's behavior in dealing with these people? How does this situation affect John's relationship with his wife? Does John trust his wife? How does the reader know if John trusts his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the video tape. What was on the video tape? Why did Jill Winslow hide it for so many years? Why did Jill make a copy in the first place? Why did Bud erase the original tape? Who has the original tape? What does John believe was done with the original tape? How does John know this? What does Jill force John to watch on the tape before it comes to the part he is most interested in? Why?
This section contains 2,132 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)