|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the manager, Rosenthal, say he fired Christopher Brock, the desk clerk on the night of the crash of Flight 800?
2. What is the nationality of the taxi driver who takes John and Kate to the office in Chapter 14?
3. Who helps John find Marie Gubitosi?
4. What object does Kate believe will be key evidence in the investigation into the crash of TWA Flight 800?
5. Why does John become angry with Kate in Chapter 21 when he learns how she found out about the blanket and lens cap left on the beach the night after the crash of Flight 800?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question comes to John's mind after he views both the hotel room and the spot on the beach where the couple possibly videotaped the plane crash?
2. What key evidence did the FBI hide from Marie Gubitosi while she was investigating the couple from the beach?
3. What does Jill see in the sky just before the plane explodes?
4. Why does Dick Kearns tell John Corey to stay away from the TWA Flight 800 investigation?
5. What theory of the CIA does Kate not support and John doubts?
6. Why do John Corey and Kate Mayfield go to a memorial on the beach each year?
7. Who does John ask Fanelli to find and for what purpose?
8. What kind of camera did Nash tell Kate the lens cap came from?
9. What does Tom Spruck, a retired naval officer, tell John he saw the night Flight 800 crashed?
10. What is the result of John's meeting with Stein?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Kate Mayfield. How does Kate know John? How does their relationship affect Kate's influence over John's decision to investigate Flight 800? Why does Kate want the crash re-investigated? What is her motivation? Why was Kate not allowed to investigate the blanket found on the beach after the crash? Why was she reprimanded for discovering which hotel the blanket came from? Why do all of John's enemies continuously imply that Kate had an affair with Nash? Did she?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism and how it is related to one of the following items:
1) A MAN AND A WOMAN tape
2) Hotel Blanket
3) Camera lens cap
Essay Topic 3
The author introduces several other incidences of terror attacks that took place after the crash of TWA Flight 800. Discuss these other terror acts. How do these acts give authenticity to the plot? Who was responsible for most of these acts of terror? What was their purpose? How might these attacks have been connected to the September 11 attacks? Could these attacks have been a warning as the author appears to suggest in this novel? Was TWA Flight 800 connected to any of these acts? If so, how?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)