|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building can John see from his apartment's balcony that was attacked by a terrorist's bomb in 1993?
2. Why does Tom Spruck not believe an American missile could have caused the crash of TWA Flight 800?
3. To what does John compare this key evidence Kate is placing all the hopes of the investigation on in Chapter 17?
4. What promise was Kate able to extract from Koenig with the understanding that both she and John would accept their new assignments?
5. What is the CIA's explanation for the hundreds of witness reports that claim to have seen the same thing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the police find on a public beach within view of the plane crash that Kate now feels is significant to the investigation?
2. What name does John ask Dick Kearns to give him in relation to the investigation?
3. What key evidence did the FBI hide from Marie Gubitosi while she was investigating the couple from the beach?
4. What interview did Marie Gubitosi conduct that John now feels is significant in regards to the couple on the beach the night of the plane crash?
5. Where does Kate take John in order for him to view the wreckage of the plane?
6. What does Kate tell John about how she came to know about the police finding the blanket from Bayview Hotel on the beach the night of the crash?
7. Who does John ask Fanelli to find and for what purpose?
8. Who is Sidney R. Siben and how does he discredit eye witness reports of an object flying toward the plane from the ocean?
9. Where does John go after calling in sick to work and for what purpose?
10. Why does Kate tell John she would like him to re-investigate the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time in which the novel is set predict the end of the novel? What impact could John's investigation have had on the attacks of September 11 had he not been sent to Yemen? Why does the author arrange the final meeting between John and Nash in the North Tower of the World Trade Center? How do the deaths of Nash and Koenig in the World Trade Center stop John from going public with all he knows about the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kate Mayfield. How does Kate know John? How does their relationship affect Kate's influence over John's decision to investigate Flight 800? Why does Kate want the crash re-investigated? What is her motivation? Why was Kate not allowed to investigate the blanket found on the beach after the crash? Why was she reprimanded for discovering which hotel the blanket came from? Why do all of John's enemies continuously imply that Kate had an affair with Nash? Did she?
Essay Topic 3
What does the CIA say about the many witnesses who thought they saw an orange light moving toward the plane the night Flight 800 crashed? How do they support this claim? Who disputes this claim? What does Kate think of this claim? What is the readers first clue that this claim by the CIA might not be true? What does the videotape show? Is the orange light moving toward the plane or is it the burning fuselage falling to the ocean? How does the reader know for sure which it is?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)