|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do John and Rosenthal realize has happened to the personnel records of the employees who came into direct contact with the lovers on the beach the night of the crash of Flight 800?
2. What does Koenig tell John in Chapter 30 about the videotape?
3. What was Tom Spruck doing the night TWA Flight 800 crashed?
4. What terror attack is the focus of a talk radio program John listens to in Chapter 22?
5. What room did this woman from the Bayview Hotel tell Marie she saw a couple with a blanket leaving the night of the crash of Flight 800?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the CIA's theory as to the orange light many witnesses reported seeing coming from the ocean toward the plane?
2. Why is Kate being sent to Africa and why has she chosen Africa over an assignment in the United States?
3. What interview did Marie Gubitosi conduct that John now feels is significant in regards to the couple on the beach the night of the plane crash?
4. What are the seven theories of the plane crash that Kate tells John?
5. Why does John insist that a videotape of the crash of TWA Flight 800 might not be the key piece of evidence Kate hopes it will be?
6. Who is Sidney R. Siben and how does he discredit eye witness reports of an object flying toward the plane from the ocean?
7. Who does John ask Fanelli to find and for what purpose?
8. How does Tom Spruck explain his theory when previous investigators have already ruled them out?
9. Where does John go after calling in sick to work and for what purpose?
10. What does Tom Spruck, a retired naval officer, tell John he saw the night Flight 800 crashed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time in which the novel is set predict the end of the novel? What impact could John's investigation have had on the attacks of September 11 had he not been sent to Yemen? Why does the author arrange the final meeting between John and Nash in the North Tower of the World Trade Center? How do the deaths of Nash and Koenig in the World Trade Center stop John from going public with all he knows about the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, everyone involved in the investigation dies except for John and Kate. How does this cause a credibility problem for John and Kate? Does John have a copy of the videotape? What happened to all the copies of the tape? What would John do with the tape if one still existed? Who might believe John without a tape and without a witness? What does this imply about the real story of the crash of TWA Flight 800? Is it possible John's story could be accurate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one of the following settings:
1) Westhampton and John's small apartment
2) Windows on the World Restaurant and the small Greek coffee shop
3) Bayview Hotel and the Plaza Hotel.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)