|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is being memorialized as Chapter 2 unfolds?
2. What motivation causes John to decide to investigate the crash of Flight 800 despite the inherent dangers?
3. Where does John go after leaving the Bayview Hotel in Chapter 25?
4. What does Kate think of the theory that what hundreds of witnesses saw was an optical illusion?
5. Which of the following is not one of the seven theories as to the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kate being sent to Africa and why has she chosen Africa over an assignment in the United States?
2. Where does John go after calling in sick to work and for what purpose?
3. What question comes to John's mind after he views both the hotel room and the spot on the beach where the couple possibly videotaped the plane crash?
4. Who is Liam Griffith and what does he warn John Corey not to do at the memorial for TWA Flight 800?
5. What does Kate tell John about how she came to know about the police finding the blanket from Bayview Hotel on the beach the night of the crash?
6. What is the CIA's theory as to the orange light many witnesses reported seeing coming from the ocean toward the plane?
7. How did Kate come to know which hotel the blanket found on the beach near the camera lens cap belonged to?
8. What does Koenig imply about Kate's relationship with Ted Nash during his meeting with John to go over his assignment in Yemen?
9. What did the police find on a public beach within view of the plane crash that Kate now feels is significant to the investigation?
10. What do John and Kate agree to do if anyone asks about their re-investigation into the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Bayview Hotel. What is the Bayview Hotel? What role does this hotel play in the investigation both when the crash happened and five years later when John begins re-investigating? Why did the FBI focus on this hotel? Why are all the employees who came into direct contact with the videotaping couple disappear? Why can John not find the records that deal with these employees or with the FBI agents who stayed at the hotel during the initial investigation? What does this imply about the actions of the original investigators?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the importance of each of these items on the overall development of the plot:
1) Camera lens cap
2) Hotel blanket
3) Band aid
4) A Man and A Woman VCR movie.
Essay Topic 3
Why does John dislike Nash? What does John believe the relationship is between Nash and his wife, Kate? How often does this suggestion come up throughout the novel? Who makes the suggestion? How does this knowledge affect John's behavior in dealing with these people? How does this situation affect John's relationship with his wife? Does John trust his wife? How does the reader know if John trusts his wife?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)