|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have Jill and Bud come to the beach to do?
2. Who does John learn is searching for him during his visit with Marie?
3. From whom does Kate tell John she learned of the hotel blanket and camera lens cap found on the beach the night of the crash of Flight 800?
4. What nags at John about the timeline regarding the suspected lovers on the beach in Chapter 25?
5. Why does Tom Spruck not believe an American missile could have caused the crash of TWA Flight 800?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question comes to John's mind after he views both the hotel room and the spot on the beach where the couple possibly videotaped the plane crash?
2. Why is Kate being sent to Africa and why has she chosen Africa over an assignment in the United States?
3. What theory of the CIA does Kate not support and John doubts?
4. Why does John insist that a videotape of the crash of TWA Flight 800 might not be the key piece of evidence Kate hopes it will be?
5. Who does John ask Fanelli to find and for what purpose?
6. Where does John go after calling in sick to work and for what purpose?
7. What name does John ask Dick Kearns to give him in relation to the investigation?
8. What kind of camera did Nash tell Kate the lens cap came from?
9. Who does John ask to find Marie Gubitosi and what does he find?
10. How does Tom Spruck explain his theory when previous investigators have already ruled them out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss John's decision to continue pursuing the investigation even after being warned away. Why did John begin investigating the crash? Why does he continue to investigate? What is John's overall goal in investigating this crash? Does John go into the investigation with the belief that terrorists are involved, or does John have some other motive for beginning this investigation? How many times is John warned to stay away from the investigation? Who gives these warnings? What are their motives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ted Nash. Who is Ted Nash? Why does John believe he is dead at the beginning of the novel? How does John learn Nash is still alive? Why does Nash reveal this truth to John? What is Nash afraid John will learn? Did Nash have an affair with John's wife? Why do several characters claim that Kate and Nash were lovers? What does Nash tell John about the couple who videotaped the crash? What does Nash say about the videotape? Is this true? Why does Nash offer this explanation to John?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one of the following settings:
1) Westhampton and John's small apartment
2) Windows on the World Restaurant and the small Greek coffee shop
3) Bayview Hotel and the Plaza Hotel.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)