|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about the date on which John returns from Yemen?
(a) It is four days before the September 11 attacks.
(b) It is his and Kate's wedding anniversary.
(c) It is the anniversary of the crash of TWA Flight 800.
(d) It is his birthday.
2. What does John see when the video reaches the part in which TWA Flight 800 crashes?
(a) John clearly sees the fuel tank exploding.
(b) John clearly sees a methane bubble rising out of the ocean.
(c) John clearly sees falling debris.
(d) John clearly sees an orange light rising toward the plane.
3. What odd phone call does John receive in his hotel room in Chapter 38?
(a) A man claiming to be Ted Nash.
(b) A woman claiming to know about the videotape.
(c) A woman claiming to be his sister.
(d) A man claiming to be Kate's lover.
4. Why is the appearance of this person in Chapter 39 a shock to John?
(a) He is there to break his wedding vows.
(b) He was expecting a woman.
(c) He is supposed to be dead.
(d) She is someone from his past.
5. What does the maid suggest the couple did in the few hours after arriving at the hotel?
(a) Ate dinner.
(b) Had sex.
(c) Swam in the hotel pool.
(d) Watched television.
6. Why does John wait more than an hour on Cupsogue Beach County Park in Chapter 39?
(a) To meet his sister.
(b) To meet his mysterious caller.
(c) To meet a lover.
(d) To experience what the suspected lovers experienced the night of the crash.
7. What does John later learn happened to Jill?
(a) Kate sent her home.
(b) Kate put her on the elevator moments before the plane crash.
(c) Kate saw her car crash.
(d) Kate saw her arrested.
8. How does John convince the police sergeant to give him directions to the Winslow house in Chapter 43?
(a) By saying the rapist has been in the area.
(b) By saying he needs to protect the witness.
(c) By saying the prowler might show up at the house.
(d) By saying he needs to watch for suspicious behavior.
9. Where does John go in Chapter 35 after interviewing a maid from the Bayview Hotel?
(a) The Plaza Hotel.
(b) The Bayview Hotel.
(c) The Holiday Inn.
(d) The Waldorf-Astoria Hotel.
10. Who does John describe as the referee in his description of the people he plans to invite to the meeting regarding the videotape?
(a) Someone from the CIA.
(b) Someone from the Attorney General's office.
(c) Someone from FBI headquarters.
(d) Someone from the NTSB.
11. Who does Jill report to John has been trying to reach her by phone in Chapter 49?
(a) Jack Koenig.
(b) Kate Mayfield.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Ted Nash.
12. What name does John discover on the receipt in Chapter 36?
(a) Jill Winslow.
(b) Jack Koenig.
(c) Bud Mitchell.
(d) Kate Mayfield.
13. What information does Dom Fanelli give John in Chapter 38?
(a) Where to find Jill Winslow.
(b) That Ted Nash is still alive.
(c) That Koenig wants John fired.
(d) That Kate is coming home soon.
14. Why did the FBI tell the maid she should quit her job at the Bayview Hotel the day after the crash of Flight 800?
(a) She has no work visa.
(b) She might face federal prosecution.
(c) She might be barraged by the press.
(d) She might be a crutial witness in the case.
15. What does Dom Fanelli tell John when he calls him from a bar in Chapter 32?
(a) To stay away from the Flight 800 investigation.
(b) That Kate has returned home.
(c) That John O'Neill has taken over FBI security at the World Trade Center.
(d) Where to find Roxanne Scarangello.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does John want to ask this person on the beach in Chapter 40 that he chooses not to verbalize?
2. What threat is made against John during this phone call in Chapter 50?
3. What room does John request when he arrives at the hotel?
4. How long does John wait after the husband has left before ringing Jill Winslow's doorbell in Chapter 44?
5. What does John do in Chapter 42 after his meeting on the beach?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)