|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Carlie and Barbara work before they take a break from their housekeeping work?
2. Barbara lets a sewer repairman spend a few minutes cooling off with a ________________ before taking his order.
3. When Barbara is paired up with Carlie on her first shift, Carlie is angry they have 19 _________ to swab down in just one shift.
4. Barbara certainly does not want to do hard ________ labor when she is working at her new jobs.
5. Barbara realizes that her use of a car is different as many minimum wage workers have to use _________ to get around.
Short Essay Questions
1. What will Barbara drive when she is a part of this experiment in working for minimum wage?
2. What does Barbara feel she is compelled to do with the patrons at Hearthside, where she works as a waitress?
3. Why doesn't Barbara think the physical exertion of her new job should be bothering her so much?
4. How long a period of time will the author spend in each location?
5. What is Barbara's fear about working in the area where she currently lives, Key West?
6. What are some of the other reasons why Barbara doesn't really want to take on the assignment of working for minimum wage?
7. What will Barbara not rely on in order to get a job and to support herself, as one of the rules of her experiment?
8. What statement does the author make which leads to her getting the assignment to write this book?
9. What happens if Barbara thinks she will have to go homeless, even for one night during this experiment?
10. Why do people end up living with others or in conditions they don't want to live in, according to Barbara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It could be said that the author's own personal experiences are influencing the way she sees the situations around her.
Part 1: How does one's past affect the way they see the future, do you think?
Part 2: In what ways are the author's descriptions and experiences influenced by her education and her past experiences?
Part 3: Do you think the author could ever be completely objective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The management styles described in the book are commonplace for those who have already had minimum wage jobs, it seems.
Part 1: Why do you think managers in the book feel they need to be as demanding as they are?
Part 2: Do you think the managers are consciously trying to manipulate their workers? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to be a fair and balanced manager when you are managing minimum wage workers? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many times, the workers Barbara is with seem resigned to the life in which they have been a part.
Part 1: Why do you think the workers Barbara meets don't really understand that things could be better?
Part 2: Why do you think the workers around Barbara don't know their rights and don't believe them when Barbara tells them what they should expect?
Part 3: Why do you think the workers aren't motivated to do more for themselves?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)