Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara notes that her sister constantly complained about the hopelessness of being a ____________.
2. Barbara will take the ____________ paying minimum wage job she can find when she's off on assignment.
3. Barbara begins to realize that minimum wage workers are no less ____________ or intelligent than she is.
4. Barbara is also not willing to make up a _____________ in order to pad her resume as she is going off to find jobs.
5. Having spend her life with ____________ struggling people, the author is not happy about getting the assignment.
Short Essay Questions
1. If things get too rough during this experiment, what does Barbara say she will do in order to feel herself or to support herself?
2. Why does the author decide to go to Maine for her next working assignment?
3. Describe what 'time theft' is according to Wal-Mart and its slick produced videos that the author watches during orientation.
4. What does Menards offers to Barbara eventually when they call up to hire her?
5. What does the interviewer at a grocery store warn Barbara about when she puts in her application?
6. What does the long employment test at a Wal-Mart job fair seem to be trying to do?
7. What are the titles that Wal-Mart wants its employees to think of themselves as?
8. What does the unattractive young cook at the elder care facility reveal to Barbara as they are out on a smoke break?
9. How does the government measure the rate of poverty in the country, according to the author?
10. What does Barbara decide about the entire hiring process after noticing she didn't even ask about salary at Menards?
Essay Topic 1
The management styles described in the book are commonplace for those who have already had minimum wage jobs, it seems.
Part 1: Why do you think managers in the book feel they need to be as demanding as they are?
Part 2: Do you think the managers are consciously trying to manipulate their workers? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to be a fair and balanced manager when you are managing minimum wage workers? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many times, the workers Barbara is with seem resigned to the life in which they have been a part.
Part 1: Why do you think the workers Barbara meets don't really understand that things could be better?
Part 2: Why do you think the workers around Barbara don't know their rights and don't believe them when Barbara tells them what they should expect?
Part 3: Why do you think the workers aren't motivated to do more for themselves?
Essay Topic 3
The minimum wage workers are kept down and continue to be kept down in modern times. With this idea in mind, it seems that maybe there is a reason for the poverty level to exist.
Part 1: Why might there be a need for poverty level workers in the world?
Part 2: What might happen if the poverty level workers were not around to fill the positions they are in?
Part 3: Do you think it's realistic to have a goal of removing poverty and minimum wage workers completely? Why or why not?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)