|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Carlie and Barbara work before they take a break from their housekeeping work?
2. Barbara says that she will not rely on her superior ______________ to support herself.
3. Barbara admits that at the end of the project, she did break down and ____________, stealthily, though, and never within hearing of management.
4. A middle aged waitress named __________ takes Barbara under her wing when she first begins her new job.
5. Barbara promises to spend a _________ in each location in order to get a sense of the area.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is surprising to Barbara about the many places to which she has applied for a job?
2. Why does Barbara want to take on the assignment she actually suggested be done?
3. What will Barbara drive when she is a part of this experiment in working for minimum wage?
4. How much does Barbara think she will have to make in order to pay her rent and for food during her stay in Florida?
5. What does the interviewer at a grocery store warn Barbara about when she puts in her application?
6. Once Barbara begins to let go of her elitist attitude, what does she realize about the workers around her?
7. What is the one thing that Barbara says she will not mention as she is applying and working during this experiment?
8. How long a period of time will the author spend in each location?
9. Why doesn't Barbara think the physical exertion of her new job should be bothering her so much?
10. When Stu says that drugs have been found at the restaurant, what do the employees speculate about this action?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The costs of housing seem to be higher than one might expect, even for the year in which the author attempted this study.
Part 1: Why do you think housing costs are so high for such horrible apartments?
Part 2: Why do you think society and the government doesn't seem to recognize how exorbitant the housing prices are?
Part 3: Do you think housing prices can ever be completely fair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The author herself is white and someone who is certainly in the middle class, even if she's not working as though she was.
Part 1: In what ways might her 'white-ness' have affected the way her experience turned out?
Part 2: In what ways might her experience have been different had she been a man?
Part 3: In what ways might her experience have been different had she been of a different class or race?
Essay Topic 3
It could be said that the author's own personal experiences are influencing the way she sees the situations around her.
Part 1: How does one's past affect the way they see the future, do you think?
Part 2: In what ways are the author's descriptions and experiences influenced by her education and her past experiences?
Part 3: Do you think the author could ever be completely objective? Why or why not?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)