|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Carlie and Barbara work before they take a break from their housekeeping work?
2. Barbara begins to realize that when she is a maid, she is not ____________ to be a maid. She really is a maid.
3. When the going gets too rough for Barbara, she admits she will use ____________ to get by.
4. What is Barbara punished with when she points out that a manager is calling one of his employees by the incorrect name?
5. Barbara is also not willing to make up a _____________ in order to pad her resume as she is going off to find jobs.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Stu says that drugs have been found at the restaurant, what do the employees speculate about this action?
2. Once Barbara begins to let go of her elitist attitude, what does she realize about the workers around her?
3. What will Barbara drive when she is a part of this experiment in working for minimum wage?
4. What will Barbara not rely on in order to get a job and to support herself, as one of the rules of her experiment?
5. Describe the first apartment that Barbara finds when she is out looking for her first new 'home' for the assignment.
6. What is the one thing that Barbara says she will not mention as she is applying and working during this experiment?
7. What does Barbara think, at the start of the experiment, will be the biggest challenge during this assignment?
8. What do the managers do to Barbara when she is an employee at Hearthside, she realizes as she continues to work there?
9. If things get too rough during this experiment, what does Barbara say she will do in order to feel herself or to support herself?
10. What is Barbara's fear about working in the area where she currently lives, Key West?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barbara seems to be a good person, someone who looks out for others and even stands up for them when they are being taken advantage of.
Part 1: Do you think Barbara is a good person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Barbara would have stood up for Holly, for example, if she had actually had to rely on her job for money?
Part 3: How do you think Barbara's assignments affected the way she interacted with the other workers? Or didn't it?
Essay Topic 2
When Barbara goes back and tells her coworkers what she was doing and who she is, the coworkers don't seem to have a reaction.
Part 1: Why do you think Barbara's coworkers didn't really notice Barbara as anyone different or special?
Part 2: Why do you think Barbara expected to be seen as different in some way?
Part 3: Were you surprised that the other coworkers didn't have a bigger reaction? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The costs of housing seem to be higher than one might expect, even for the year in which the author attempted this study.
Part 1: Why do you think housing costs are so high for such horrible apartments?
Part 2: Why do you think society and the government doesn't seem to recognize how exorbitant the housing prices are?
Part 3: Do you think housing prices can ever be completely fair? Why or why not?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)