|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Barbara is paired up with Carlie on her first shift, Carlie is angry they have 19 _________ to swab down in just one shift.
2. Barbara asks the manager of her trailer park to donate her security deposit to ________.
3. The author most dislikes the visible __________ at the restaurant where she works since they complain and never leave good tips.
4. Barbara promises to spend a _________ in each location in order to get a sense of the area.
5. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
Short Essay Questions
1. What will Barbara not rely on in order to get a job and to support herself, as one of the rules of her experiment?
2. What are some of the other reasons why Barbara doesn't really want to take on the assignment of working for minimum wage?
3. How much does Barbara think she will have to make in order to pay her rent and for food during her stay in Florida?
4. Why doesn't Barbara think the physical exertion of her new job should be bothering her so much?
5. Why do people end up living with others or in conditions they don't want to live in, according to Barbara?
6. What do the managers do to Barbara when she is an employee at Hearthside, she realizes as she continues to work there?
7. What will Barbara drive when she is a part of this experiment in working for minimum wage?
8. Describe the first apartment that Barbara finds when she is out looking for her first new 'home' for the assignment.
9. What is surprising to Barbara about the many places to which she has applied for a job?
10. What does Barbara find out about Gail and what she has to do when her boyfriend suddenly dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that most of the places where Barbara worked didn't want to give employees any time off or any breaks.
Part 1: Why do you think the places of employment were unwilling to give breaks to the workers?
Part 2: What do you think may have happened to morale and productivity if the employees had been allowed to take breaks?
Part 3: Why do you think breaks are necessary within the course of a working shift?
Essay Topic 2
When Barbara goes back and tells her coworkers what she was doing and who she is, the coworkers don't seem to have a reaction.
Part 1: Why do you think Barbara's coworkers didn't really notice Barbara as anyone different or special?
Part 2: Why do you think Barbara expected to be seen as different in some way?
Part 3: Were you surprised that the other coworkers didn't have a bigger reaction? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The minimum wage workers are kept down and continue to be kept down in modern times. With this idea in mind, it seems that maybe there is a reason for the poverty level to exist.
Part 1: Why might there be a need for poverty level workers in the world?
Part 2: What might happen if the poverty level workers were not around to fill the positions they are in?
Part 3: Do you think it's realistic to have a goal of removing poverty and minimum wage workers completely? Why or why not?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)