|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara begins to realize that minimum wage workers are no less ____________ or intelligent than she is.
2. Barbara began to realize that the only thing that made her special and separate from others at her workplace was her lack of __________.
3. What area of the restaurant is locked up when it is assumed that the dishwasher is stealing from the restaurant?
4. Barbara certainly does not want to do hard ________ labor when she is working at her new jobs.
5. What are they listening to at full volume as they are cleaning each of the hotel rooms?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much does Barbara think she will have to make in order to pay her rent and for food during her stay in Florida?
2. How long a period of time will the author spend in each location?
3. What happens if Barbara thinks she will have to go homeless, even for one night during this experiment?
4. What are some of the other reasons why Barbara doesn't really want to take on the assignment of working for minimum wage?
5. What is the one thing that Barbara says she will not mention as she is applying and working during this experiment?
6. What does Barbara think, at the start of the experiment, will be the biggest challenge during this assignment?
7. Once Barbara begins to let go of her elitist attitude, what does she realize about the workers around her?
8. If things get too rough during this experiment, what does Barbara say she will do in order to feel herself or to support herself?
9. What is Barbara's fear about working in the area where she currently lives, Key West?
10. Describe the first apartment that Barbara finds when she is out looking for her first new 'home' for the assignment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barbara seems to be a good person, someone who looks out for others and even stands up for them when they are being taken advantage of.
Part 1: Do you think Barbara is a good person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Barbara would have stood up for Holly, for example, if she had actually had to rely on her job for money?
Part 3: How do you think Barbara's assignments affected the way she interacted with the other workers? Or didn't it?
Essay Topic 2
While it might be no surprise that Wal-Mart doesn't want to have labor unions in their store, it's more surprising that workers aren't more motivated to get involved
Part 1: Why do you think Wal-Mart doesn't want to have labor unions and organizations in their stores?
Part 2: Why do you think employees at Wal-Mart are scared to begin talks for labor union support in their stores?
Part 3: Is the risk of losing one's job worth it in order to get a labor organization in a store? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The management styles described in the book are commonplace for those who have already had minimum wage jobs, it seems.
Part 1: Why do you think managers in the book feel they need to be as demanding as they are?
Part 2: Do you think the managers are consciously trying to manipulate their workers? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to be a fair and balanced manager when you are managing minimum wage workers? Why or why not?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)