|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the drug testing is supposed to begin, the employees speculate that it is _________ who is guilty of the drug issue.
2. One manager threatens to take the _______________ privilege from the employees even though this is their only hideout to smoke or eat.
3. Barbara notes that she made a rule that she had to work hard at her jobs to keep them, not go off on ________ rants or sneak off to read novels in the ladies' room.
4. The other restaurant that Barbara works at during her time in Florida is called ___________, a chain with huge food and calorie packed dishes.
5. What does Jerry's restaurant close off to employees since they don't want other employees lingering there during breaks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will Barbara not rely on in order to get a job and to support herself, as one of the rules of her experiment?
2. What will Barbara drive when she is a part of this experiment in working for minimum wage?
3. What kind of job does Barbara say that she will take, money-wise, at least at the start of the experiment?
4. Once Barbara begins to let go of her elitist attitude, what does she realize about the workers around her?
5. What happens if Barbara thinks she will have to go homeless, even for one night during this experiment?
6. What does the interviewer at a grocery store warn Barbara about when she puts in her application?
7. What is Barbara's fear about working in the area where she currently lives, Key West?
8. How long a period of time will the author spend in each location?
9. How much does Barbara think she will have to make in order to pay her rent and for food during her stay in Florida?
10. What does Barbara find out about Gail and what she has to do when her boyfriend suddenly dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While at times it seems that coworkers band together to help each other out, at other times, they treat each other as though they were unaware of the other's existence.
Part 1: Why do you think coworkers band together at some points of a minimum wage job?
Part 2: Why do you think coworkers can also turn their backs on their coworkers so easily?
Part 3: Do you think the management tries to influence the bonds between coworkers? If so, why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of poverty is one of the most complex issues this world seems to be unable and often unwilling to tackle.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of poverty? Can there be only one definition? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think poverty is so hard for governments to manage?
Part 3: Why do you think people slide into poverty and poverty-conditions?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of a living wage is something that is hotly debated these days.
Part 1: Why do you think a living wage is necessary?
Part 2: What do you think a good living wage would be for your current location today? Why did you choose this number?
Part 3: If prices keep rising, but the living wage does not, how can a minimum wage worker ever get ahead? What might you suggest as a plan to keep people from living off of fast food and avoiding healthcare?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)