|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author also doesn't want to live in an _____________ building when she is off on her assignment.
2. Who is the tiny busy woman who teaches Barbara the rules of the next job she takes on at the hotel adjacent to the restaurant?
3. What is Barbara punished with when she points out that a manager is calling one of his employees by the incorrect name?
4. Barbara promises to spend a _________ in each location in order to get a sense of the area.
5. Barbara will keep driving a beat up ____________ car, though she knows many minimum wage workers can not.
Short Essay Questions
1. How much does Barbara think she will have to make in order to pay her rent and for food during her stay in Florida?
2. How long a period of time will the author spend in each location?
3. What do the managers do to Barbara when she is an employee at Hearthside, she realizes as she continues to work there?
4. What statement does the author make which leads to her getting the assignment to write this book?
5. What is the one thing that Barbara says she will not mention as she is applying and working during this experiment?
6. What will Barbara drive when she is a part of this experiment in working for minimum wage?
7. What does Barbara feel she is compelled to do with the patrons at Hearthside, where she works as a waitress?
8. What are some of the other reasons why Barbara doesn't really want to take on the assignment of working for minimum wage?
9. What is Barbara's fear about working in the area where she currently lives, Key West?
10. What kind of job does Barbara say that she will take, money-wise, at least at the start of the experiment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barbara seems to be a good person, someone who looks out for others and even stands up for them when they are being taken advantage of.
Part 1: Do you think Barbara is a good person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Barbara would have stood up for Holly, for example, if she had actually had to rely on her job for money?
Part 3: How do you think Barbara's assignments affected the way she interacted with the other workers? Or didn't it?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of poverty is one of the most complex issues this world seems to be unable and often unwilling to tackle.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of poverty? Can there be only one definition? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think poverty is so hard for governments to manage?
Part 3: Why do you think people slide into poverty and poverty-conditions?
Essay Topic 3
While at times it seems that coworkers band together to help each other out, at other times, they treat each other as though they were unaware of the other's existence.
Part 1: Why do you think coworkers band together at some points of a minimum wage job?
Part 2: Why do you think coworkers can also turn their backs on their coworkers so easily?
Part 3: Do you think the management tries to influence the bonds between coworkers? If so, why? If not, why not?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)