|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing Barbara will be able to avoid a bit more from her new apartment's location?
(c) Dog park
2. Barbara begins to realize that she is acting like an unhappy __________ when she argues with another worker at Wal-Mart.
3. Barbara doesn't even apply for ___________ since she knows she doesn't have the clothing for this type of work.
(a) Retail work
(b) Management positions
(c) Office work
(d) Factory work
4. Given that The Maids are paid _______, Barbara doesn't understand why they need to rush through their duties.
5. What drug is Barbara afraid might skew the results of a drug test she might have to take?
Short Answer Questions
1. One young girl named ____________ refuses to eat and she grows paler each day as a result, obviously she is ill.
2. Which department is Barbara placed into when she goes back to Menards to find out about the job?
3. What is interesting about the test Barbara takes when she applies at Wal-Mart again?
4. The Maids calculate their wages by ________, which makes it difficult to know what a person is being paid.
5. Working class people are driven to live in ____________ since rents are so high in the areas where they work.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the rate of pay that the Merry Maids claims to offer to those who work for them?
2. What surprises Barbara about the cleaning method of The Maids, as described in the book?
3. What does Barbara do as the focus of her job at Wal-Mart, as it becomes clearer on the first shift?
4. What are the titles that Wal-Mart wants its employees to think of themselves as?
5. What is the second job that the author takes on in addition to the maid job in Maine?
6. What does the author do on a night when she has nothing to do and no money to spend on entertainment?
7. What does the unattractive young cook at the elder care facility reveal to Barbara as they are out on a smoke break?
8. What is the one line of work that Barbara does not even apply for since she does not have the proper clothing?
9. What does the author admit to doing which is making her a little nervous about the drug test she needs to take?
10. Why so the Maids think that the job they are offering is easy for someone to learn and to do?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)