|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barbara have to surrender when she goes in for her drug test at the hospital?
(a) Her sweater
(b) Her jacket
(c) Her driver's license
(d) Her purse
2. Because of the low wages that are paid in the area, people who are working at minimum wage are expected to ____________.
(b) Argue at the interview
(c) Hold multiple jobs
(d) Work longer hours
3. What does Barbara have to care for when she stays in a friend's house at the beginning of her adventure in Minnesota?
4. Why is it strange that the author decides to go to a religious revival meeting on her night off?
(a) She told herself she wouldn't
(b) She doesn't like to go out
(c) She's an atheist
(d) She has no money
5. Barbara notes that Wal-Mart is a __________ system and when one is working there, one forgets there is an outside world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is interesting about the test Barbara takes when she applies at Wal-Mart again?
2. Rosalie worked so hard as a _____________ in her childhood that her rotator cuff is damaged, though she continues to work through the pain.
3. The thing Barbara hates to clean most of all is _________ in the bathrooms of their customers.
4. Barbara begins to realize that she is acting like an unhappy __________ when she argues with another worker at Wal-Mart.
5. The obvious __________ of the sales company is a breath of fresh air for the author compared to the false concern from Wal-Mart.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author admit to doing which is making her a little nervous about the drug test she needs to take?
2. What is Barbara's living arrangement when she first gets into town in Minneapolis?
3. Why does the author decide to go to Maine for her next working assignment?
4. When Barbara's skin breaks out in an odd rash, what does her boss seem to think the problem is?
5. What does the prissy women at the first Maids job Barbara is on do for her baby?
6. What does Barbara do as the focus of her job at Wal-Mart, as it becomes clearer on the first shift?
7. What is the one upside of the Twin Lakes apartment that compels Barbara to sign up for a lease there?
8. What are the workers in Portland, Maine expected to do as the wages seem to be falling between $6 and $7 an hour?
9. What is the story of Caroline, the women Barbara uses as a guide to her own difficult situation in Minneapolis?
10. What comes in the emergency food package that Barbara eventually gets from the Community Emergency Assistance Program?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)