|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the made-up name for the apartments that Barbara finally finds in Minnesota?
(a) Twin Lakes
(c) Blue Gill
(d) Blue Waters
2. What does one company want her to sell, promising her $1650 for doing 54 two hour appointments?
(c) Air purifier
(d) Vacuum cleaner
3. What does Barbara have to leave in her disgusting hotel room, even though she does not want to?
4. What city in Minnesota does Barbara choose in order to find a new job in her assignment?
(c) St. Paul Town
(d) Salmon Lake
5. The Maids calculate their wages by ________, which makes it difficult to know what a person is being paid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marge and Holly talk about how low wage ____________ even look down on maids when they are out.
2. What are employees to think of themselves as when they are working for Wal-Mart?
3. According tot he ACLU, the process of drug testing ___________ improve the chances of screening out addicts.
4. Barbara thinks the fact she is __________ will help her since she will not stand out from others.
5. What is the next place Barbara goes to in order to try to avoid drug testing and get more money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the workers in Portland, Maine expected to do as the wages seem to be falling between $6 and $7 an hour?
2. When Barbara's skin breaks out in an odd rash, what does her boss seem to think the problem is?
3. What does Menards offers to Barbara eventually when they call up to hire her?
4. What is the rate of pay that the Merry Maids claims to offer to those who work for them?
5. Why so the Maids think that the job they are offering is easy for someone to learn and to do?
6. What surprises Barbara about the cleaning method of The Maids, as described in the book?
7. After Barbara takes her drug test, what does she do in terms of her job hunting?
8. What comes in the emergency food package that Barbara eventually gets from the Community Emergency Assistance Program?
9. What is the story of Caroline, the women Barbara uses as a guide to her own difficult situation in Minneapolis?
10. What does the author do on a night when she has nothing to do and no money to spend on entertainment?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)