|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The _____________ market proves to be a challenge in the city Barbara moves to in Minnesota.
2. What does the author have to do once she is done with the testing process at Wal-Mart?
(a) Start a shift
(b) Drug test
(c) Read a book
(d) Train five new people
3. Barbara is horrified to see that The Maids use very little _________ when they are cleaning.
4. Who does Barbara have to hide from when she is trying to make a last ditch effort to find a place to stay when in Minnesota?
5. Where does Barbara rent a room until she is able to find housing that will work for her?
(a) Holiday Inn
(b) Howard Johnson
(c) Super 8
(d) Motel 6
6. Barbara thinks the fact she is __________ will help her since she will not stand out from others.
(a) A divorced woman
(b) A single woman
(d) A yuppie
7. Which department is Barbara placed into when she goes back to Menards to find out about the job?
8. Ruthie decides to pour _____________ on Barbara's breakfast and jokes again and again that Barbara should be called Barbara Bush.
(a) Tobasco sause
(d) Orange juice
9. _____________ has to support her husband and an elderly relative on 30 to 50 dollars each week.
10. What does Barbara have to care for when she stays in a friend's house at the beginning of her adventure in Minnesota?
11. Barbara notes that Wal-Mart is a __________ system and when one is working there, one forgets there is an outside world.
12. The thing Barbara hates to clean most of all is _________ in the bathrooms of their customers.
13. What does Marge suspect about Holly and this is confirmed when she will not answer the question?
(a) She is quitting
(b) She is pregnant
(c) She is sleeping with Ted
(d) She is dying
14. How long does the shift at Menards turn out to be when they call again the next day before she goes to work?
(a) 4 hours
(b) 2 hours
(c) 11 hours
(d) 8 hours
15. When Barbara returns to her home in Clearview, she finds out that __________ is covering the floor of her room, requiring her to move to a new one.
(d) Bug infestation
Short Answer Questions
1. One young girl named ____________ refuses to eat and she grows paler each day as a result, obviously she is ill.
2. A look at the local free magazine reveals very little _________ Barbara can afford in the area where she is staying.
3. The Maids calculate their wages by ________, which makes it difficult to know what a person is being paid.
4. Barbara doesn't even apply for ___________ since she knows she doesn't have the clothing for this type of work.
5. Because of the low wages that are paid in the area, people who are working at minimum wage are expected to ____________.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)