|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara notes she feels like a fugitive on this assignment, becoming obsessed with the few __________ she's brought along.
(d) Credit cards
2. ___________ is a Christian with a working husband and grown children, some of who have had major problems in their life.
3. _____________ is a woman who simply picked up and moved to Florida because she heard the rents were better than New Jersey.
4. What is one of the things Barbara is NOT handed when she goes back to Menards?
(c) Tool belt
5. What is the made-up name for the apartments that Barbara finally finds in Minnesota?
(a) Twin Lakes
(b) Blue Gill
(c) Blue Waters
6. _____________ has to support her husband and an elderly relative on 30 to 50 dollars each week.
7. Wal-Mart contends that _______ take money from workers and risk the wages of workers
(b) Time thieves
8. Barbara doesn't even apply for ___________ since she knows she doesn't have the clothing for this type of work.
(a) Retail work
(b) Factory work
(c) Office work
(d) Management positions
9. When any employees does something for his or herself instead of for the store, Wal-Mart calls them a ____________.
(a) Time thief
(b) Poor choice worker
(c) Bad worker
(d) Wal-Mart enemy
10. Why is it strange that the author decides to go to a religious revival meeting on her night off?
(a) She's an atheist
(b) She doesn't like to go out
(c) She told herself she wouldn't
(d) She has no money
11. What does one company want her to sell, promising her $1650 for doing 54 two hour appointments?
(a) Air purifier
(c) Vacuum cleaner
12. What are managers to think of themselves as when they are working at Wal-Mart?
(b) Growth managers
(c) Slave drivers
(d) Servant leaders
13. The author concludes that the hiring process is designed to ____________ workers down and make them agree to anything.
14. What is interesting about the test Barbara takes when she applies at Wal-Mart again?
(a) There is no record of her last test
(b) It's not the same as the last one she took
(c) She fails the test and gets thrown out
(d) She gets answers 'wrong'
15. What is the title of the job Barbara takes at the Woodcrest residential facility, an elder care facility?
(a) Dietary aid
(b) Medical assistant
(d) Nurse's aide
Short Answer Questions
1. The _____________ market proves to be a challenge in the city Barbara moves to in Minnesota.
2. The workers have troubles coming up with two dollars to buy a new ___________ when one is left behind at the office.
3. What does Barbara accidentally shatter in her efforts to help Holly not have to work as hard?
4. Ruthie decides to pour _____________ on Barbara's breakfast and jokes again and again that Barbara should be called Barbara Bush.
5. Because of the low wages that are paid in the area, people who are working at minimum wage are expected to ____________.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)