|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the 'dream job' that Barbara lands in addition to her restaurant job, taking on both when in Florida?
(a) Office work
(d) Factory work
2. When the going gets too rough for Barbara, she admits she will use ____________ to get by.
(b) Her resume
(c) Credit cards
3. Barbara makes the common that the ____________ is too low and that someone used to more should try to live with it.
(a) Break schedule
(b) Worker hour restriction
(c) Health benefit package
(d) Minimum wage
4. The businesses place ads in the paper so they can always have a pool of __________ from which to hire at any time.
(b) Desperate workers
(d) Cheap labor
5. Barbara began to realize that the only thing that made her special and separate from others at her workplace was her lack of __________.
(b) Ripped clothing
(c) Driver's license
6. For what magazine does the author of "Nickel and Dimed" work when she is beginning her assignment?
(a) NY Gazette
(b) New Yorker
(c) New York Times
(d) New England Journal
7. Barbara will give up completely on the project if it seems she will be ___________, if only for one night.
(d) Out of contact
8. Barbara asks the manager of her trailer park to donate her security deposit to ________.
9. Barbara's father had been a _____________; her uncles and grandfathers worked in the mines or for the Union Pacific.
(b) Restaurant owner
(d) Copper miner
10. __________ is a city in which Barbara is afraid she might be recognized, so she looks for work in a nearby city.
(a) Key West
(b) New York
(d) Key Largo
11. Barbara realizes that her use of a car is different as many minimum wage workers have to use _________ to get around.
(d) Their legs
12. Barbara can not afford gas money because of the $30 she has to spend on a ___________ for her restaurant job.
(c) Set of pencils
(d) Application fee
13. Barbara does admit that she modified her __________ when she was new at the job and wanted to fit in.
14. Barbara realizes she will need ____________ in order to pay for her apartment.
(a) Another job
(b) More tips
(c) Less food
(d) To stop driving
15. Gail reveals that she had to live in _______ and pee into a plastic bottle after her boyfriend she lives with suddenly dies.
(a) The bathroom
(b) A storage space
(c) A box
(d) A truck
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara does not want to live a life of _________ or discomfort when it comes to this new assignment.
2. The author also doesn't want to live in an _____________ building when she is off on her assignment.
3. Barbara lets a sewer repairman spend a few minutes cooling off with a ________________ before taking his order.
4. The manager, ________, yells at Barbara for a confused breakfast and a yuppie customer complains too.
5. Later it is rumored that Stu was guilty of stealing money to support his __________ habit.
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)