|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the tiny busy woman who teaches Barbara the rules of the next job she takes on at the hotel adjacent to the restaurant?
2. Barbara will give up completely on the project if it seems she will be ___________, if only for one night.
(d) Out of contact
3. What is the name of the cook who occasionally throws meat against the wall during his shift?
4. What did Barbara fear employers would think she was if she were to put the PhD on her resumes and applications?
5. What does Jerry's restaurant close off to employees since they don't want other employees lingering there during breaks?
(a) Dining room
(b) Break room
(d) Outside area
6. Barbara admits that at the end of the project, she did break down and ____________, stealthily, though, and never within hearing of management.
(c) Admit her assignment
7. Barbara begins to realize that minimum wage workers are no less ____________ or intelligent than she is.
8. Barbara began to realize that the only thing that made her special and separate from others at her workplace was her lack of __________.
(a) Ripped clothing
(d) Driver's license
9. Since Barbara is far from any grocery store, she needs to live on __________ when she eats.
(a) Fast food
(b) Diet soda
(c) Energy bars
(d) Work food
10. Barbara notes that she made a rule that she had to work hard at her jobs to keep them, not go off on ________ rants or sneak off to read novels in the ladies' room.
11. Gail reveals that she had to live in _______ and pee into a plastic bottle after her boyfriend she lives with suddenly dies.
(a) A box
(b) The bathroom
(c) A truck
(d) A storage space
12. Barbara is surprised that she feels a strong urge to ________ the patrons who she meets.
13. Barbara says that she will not rely on her superior ______________ to support herself.
(b) Name recognition
14. Barbara realizes that her use of a car is different as many minimum wage workers have to use _________ to get around.
(d) Their legs
15. Barbara certainly does not want to do hard ________ labor when she is working at her new jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara is concerned that her biggest challenge will be to hide her _____________, even though this does not turn out to be an issue.
2. The manager, ________, yells at Barbara for a confused breakfast and a yuppie customer complains too.
3. Barbara notes that her sister constantly complained about the hopelessness of being a ____________.
4. What does Ehrenreich discover about her uniform when she is heading over to her second job?
5. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)