|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author most dislikes the visible __________ at the restaurant where she works since they complain and never leave good tips.
2. Barbara admits she has two things going for her as a minimum wage worker - she is ________ and she is a native English speaker.
3. Since Barbara is far from any grocery store, she needs to live on __________ when she eats.
(a) Diet soda
(b) Fast food
(c) Energy bars
(d) Work food
4. Having spend her life with ____________ struggling people, the author is not happy about getting the assignment.
(a) Lower class
(b) Upper class
(c) Middle class
5. Barbara admits that at the end of the project, she did break down and ____________, stealthily, though, and never within hearing of management.
(a) Admit her assignment
6. What does Ehrenreich discover about her uniform when she is heading over to her second job?
(a) It is stained
(b) It is at home
(c) It is too small
(d) It is ripped
7. One manager threatens to take the _______________ privilege from the employees even though this is their only hideout to smoke or eat.
(b) Break room
8. When Barbara is paired up with Carlie on her first shift, Carlie is angry they have 19 _________ to swab down in just one shift.
(d) Beach chairs
9. Later it is rumored that Stu was guilty of stealing money to support his __________ habit.
(d) Crack cocaine
10. Barbara is also not willing to make up a _____________ in order to pad her resume as she is going off to find jobs.
(a) False life
(b) Number of children
(d) Work life
11. Barbara states, "Someone ought to do the old-fashioned kind of ________ - you know, go out there and try it for themselves."
12. For what magazine does the author of "Nickel and Dimed" work when she is beginning her assignment?
(a) New England Journal
(b) NY Gazette
(c) New Yorker
(d) New York Times
13. Barbara notes that she made a rule that she had to work hard at her jobs to keep them, not go off on ________ rants or sneak off to read novels in the ladies' room.
14. Barbara certainly does not want to do hard ________ labor when she is working at her new jobs.
15. What is Barbara's PhD in, according to her own admittance?
(b) Public Policy
Short Answer Questions
1. At the ____________, the interviewer Barbara meets warns her about labor organizers, to avoid them.
2. Barbara promises to spend a _________ in each location in order to get a sense of the area.
3. When the going gets too rough for Barbara, she admits she will use ____________ to get by.
4. Barbara will take the ____________ paying minimum wage job she can find when she's off on assignment.
5. Barbara will keep driving a beat up ____________ car, though she knows many minimum wage workers can not.
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)