|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Barbara Ehrenreich's editor, the one who assigns her the story that became this book?
(a) Louis Lanston
(b) Stu Manshet
(c) Lewis Lapham
(d) Joseph Truman
2. Later it is rumored that Stu was guilty of stealing money to support his __________ habit.
(a) Crack cocaine
3. Barbara states, "Someone ought to do the old-fashioned kind of ________ - you know, go out there and try it for themselves."
4. At the ____________, the interviewer Barbara meets warns her about labor organizers, to avoid them.
(a) Grocery store
5. Barbara can not afford gas money because of the $30 she has to spend on a ___________ for her restaurant job.
(a) Set of pencils
(d) Application fee
6. What would Barbara use in order to document her daily experiences after her shifts were done for the day?
(d) The wall
7. Barbara feels to truly replicate the experience of a minimum wage worker, she would need to have a few __________ in tow too.
(d) Bill collectors
8. Barbara admits she has two things going for her as a minimum wage worker - she is ________ and she is a native English speaker.
9. Barbara promises to spend a _________ in each location in order to get a sense of the area.
(a) Few months
10. The author also doesn't want to live in an _____________ building when she is off on her assignment.
(a) Ill built
11. Barbara begins to realize that minimum wage workers are no less ____________ or intelligent than she is.
12. Barbara notes that her sister constantly complained about the hopelessness of being a ____________.
(c) Minimum wage worker
(d) Wage slave
13. When a manager sees Barbara having a little __________ during her shift, she is scolded, but instead of fighting it, she walks out.
(d) Sip of water
14. When the going gets too rough for Barbara, she admits she will use ____________ to get by.
(a) Credit cards
(c) Her resume
15. Many of the businesses in town seem to place ads in the paper ____________ so as to always have applicants.
(a) On Sundays
(b) Once in a while
(d) On Mondays
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara began to realize that the only thing that made her special and separate from others at her workplace was her lack of __________.
2. The other staff of the hotel refuses to exchange _________ with the housekeepers or show any sort of respect.
3. What did Barbara fear employers would think she was if she were to put the PhD on her resumes and applications?
4. Barbara lets a sewer repairman spend a few minutes cooling off with a ________________ before taking his order.
5. At what publication does the editor who assigns the story to Barbara work?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)