|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, in 1998, the hourly wage necessary to afford a one bedroom apartment was _________.
2. The management at the restaurant try to keep Barbara __________ at every moment of her shift, even when it's slow.
3. Barbara began to realize that the only thing that made her special and separate from others at her workplace was her lack of __________.
(b) Ripped clothing
(c) Driver's license
4. What did Barbara fear employers would think she was if she were to put the PhD on her resumes and applications?
5. __________ is a city in which Barbara is afraid she might be recognized, so she looks for work in a nearby city.
(a) New York
(b) Key West
(d) Key Largo
6. Barbara's father had been a _____________; her uncles and grandfathers worked in the mines or for the Union Pacific.
(a) Restaurant owner
(b) Copper miner
7. As Barbara downs coffee who does she notice is looking haggard when she shows up for her next job?
8. Having spend her life with ____________ struggling people, the author is not happy about getting the assignment.
(b) Lower class
(c) Middle class
(d) Upper class
9. The manager, ________, yells at Barbara for a confused breakfast and a yuppie customer complains too.
10. Barbara makes the common that the ____________ is too low and that someone used to more should try to live with it.
(a) Worker hour restriction
(b) Minimum wage
(c) Break schedule
(d) Health benefit package
11. The other staff of the hotel refuses to exchange _________ with the housekeepers or show any sort of respect.
12. Barbara does not want to live a life of _________ or discomfort when it comes to this new assignment.
13. Later it is rumored that Stu was guilty of stealing money to support his __________ habit.
(d) Crack cocaine
14. Barbara wondered why there wasn't more indignation about her ruse, realizing that it was probably because people's notion of __________ is different than she thinks it should be.
15. Who is the tiny busy woman who teaches Barbara the rules of the next job she takes on at the hotel adjacent to the restaurant?
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara admits that at the end of the project, she did break down and ____________, stealthily, though, and never within hearing of management.
2. The other restaurant that Barbara works at during her time in Florida is called ___________, a chain with huge food and calorie packed dishes.
3. What would Barbara use in order to document her daily experiences after her shifts were done for the day?
4. What are they listening to at full volume as they are cleaning each of the hotel rooms?
5. Barbara begins to realize that when she is a maid, she is not ____________ to be a maid. She really is a maid.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)