|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
(d) Higher education
2. Many of the businesses in town seem to place ads in the paper ____________ so as to always have applicants.
(a) Once in a while
(b) On Sundays
(c) On Mondays
3. Barbara is also not willing to make up a _____________ in order to pad her resume as she is going off to find jobs.
(a) Number of children
(b) Work life
(c) False life
4. How long do Carlie and Barbara work before they take a break from their housekeeping work?
(a) 5 hours
(b) 4 hours
(c) 8 hours
(d) 10 hours
5. When a manager sees Barbara having a little __________ during her shift, she is scolded, but instead of fighting it, she walks out.
(b) Sip of water
6. As Barbara downs coffee who does she notice is looking haggard when she shows up for her next job?
7. When Barbara is paired up with Carlie on her first shift, Carlie is angry they have 19 _________ to swab down in just one shift.
(c) Beach chairs
8. Barbara wondered why there wasn't more indignation about her ruse, realizing that it was probably because people's notion of __________ is different than she thinks it should be.
9. The other restaurant that Barbara works at during her time in Florida is called ___________, a chain with huge food and calorie packed dishes.
10. The Preamble Center for Public Policy noted that the odds against a typical welfare recipient's landing a job at a ______ were about 97 to 1.
(c) Living wage
(d) Minimum age
11. What area of the restaurant is locked up when it is assumed that the dishwasher is stealing from the restaurant?
(a) Dry storage
(d) Meat locker
12. When Barbara walks out of the restaurant, she feels _______ instead of feeling enraged, as she expects to.
13. For what magazine does the author of "Nickel and Dimed" work when she is beginning her assignment?
(a) NY Gazette
(b) New York Times
(c) New Yorker
(d) New England Journal
14. Barbara began to realize that the only thing that made her special and separate from others at her workplace was her lack of __________.
(a) Ripped clothing
(d) Driver's license
15. Barbara realizes she will need ____________ in order to pay for her apartment.
(a) Another job
(b) Less food
(c) More tips
(d) To stop driving
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara lets a sewer repairman spend a few minutes cooling off with a ________________ before taking his order.
2. Barbara does not want to live a life of _________ or discomfort when it comes to this new assignment.
3. Barbara does admit that she modified her __________ when she was new at the job and wanted to fit in.
4. When the going gets too rough for Barbara, she admits she will use ____________ to get by.
5. Barbara states, "Someone ought to do the old-fashioned kind of ________ - you know, go out there and try it for themselves."
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)