|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara begins to realize that minimum wage workers are no less ____________ or intelligent than she is.
2. Since Barbara is far from any grocery store, she needs to live on __________ when she eats.
(a) Work food
(b) Diet soda
(c) Energy bars
(d) Fast food
3. One manager threatens to take the _______________ privilege from the employees even though this is their only hideout to smoke or eat.
(d) Break room
4. When Barbara walks out of the restaurant, she feels _______ instead of feeling enraged, as she expects to.
5. Barbara is concerned that her biggest challenge will be to hide her _____________, even though this does not turn out to be an issue.
(a) Writing career
6. What is the 'dream job' that Barbara lands in addition to her restaurant job, taking on both when in Florida?
(b) Factory work
(d) Office work
7. Barbara says that she will not rely on her superior ______________ to support herself.
(a) Name recognition
8. Who is Barbara Ehrenreich's editor, the one who assigns her the story that became this book?
(a) Joseph Truman
(b) Louis Lanston
(c) Lewis Lapham
(d) Stu Manshet
9. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
(a) Higher education
10. When Barbara is paired up with Carlie on her first shift, Carlie is angry they have 19 _________ to swab down in just one shift.
(a) Beach chairs
11. Barbara lets a sewer repairman spend a few minutes cooling off with a ________________ before taking his order.
(a) Iced tea
(b) Newspaper fan
(d) Glass of ice water
12. Who is the tiny busy woman who teaches Barbara the rules of the next job she takes on at the hotel adjacent to the restaurant?
13. What does Barbara not want to mention when she is out in her new working life?
(a) Her hometown
(b) Her daughters
(c) Her husband
14. Barbara notes that her sister constantly complained about the hopelessness of being a ____________.
(b) Wage slave
(d) Minimum wage worker
15. At what publication does the editor who assigns the story to Barbara work?
(d) Ladies Home Journal
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara certainly does not want to do hard ________ labor when she is working at her new jobs.
2. What is Barbara punished with when she points out that a manager is calling one of his employees by the incorrect name?
3. What would Barbara use in order to document her daily experiences after her shifts were done for the day?
4. Barbara realizes that her use of a car is different as many minimum wage workers have to use _________ to get around.
5. For what magazine does the author of "Nickel and Dimed" work when she is beginning her assignment?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)