|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara lets a sewer repairman spend a few minutes cooling off with a ________________ before taking his order.
(a) Glass of ice water
(c) Newspaper fan
(d) Iced tea
2. For what magazine does the author of "Nickel and Dimed" work when she is beginning her assignment?
(a) New York Times
(b) New Yorker
(c) New England Journal
(d) NY Gazette
3. Barbara notes that she made a rule that she had to work hard at her jobs to keep them, not go off on ________ rants or sneak off to read novels in the ladies' room.
4. Barbara does not want to live a life of _________ or discomfort when it comes to this new assignment.
5. Barbara admits that at the end of the project, she did break down and ____________, stealthily, though, and never within hearing of management.
(d) Admit her assignment
6. As Barbara downs coffee who does she notice is looking haggard when she shows up for her next job?
7. __________ is a city in which Barbara is afraid she might be recognized, so she looks for work in a nearby city.
(a) New York
(b) Key West
(c) Key Largo
8. What does Barbara not want to mention when she is out in her new working life?
(a) Her hometown
(b) Her husband
(c) Her daughters
9. The other staff of the hotel refuses to exchange _________ with the housekeepers or show any sort of respect.
10. Some of the coworkers have to pay $60 a night for a hotel room because they can not save up the ___________ for a first and last month rent payment.
11. Barbara feels to truly replicate the experience of a minimum wage worker, she would need to have a few __________ in tow too.
(d) Bill collectors
12. Barbara makes the common that the ____________ is too low and that someone used to more should try to live with it.
(a) Worker hour restriction
(b) Health benefit package
(c) Minimum wage
(d) Break schedule
13. Barbara notes that her sister constantly complained about the hopelessness of being a ____________.
(b) Minimum wage worker
(c) Wage slave
14. Barbara is concerned that her biggest challenge will be to hide her _____________, even though this does not turn out to be an issue.
(b) Writing career
15. Barbara realizes that her use of a car is different as many minimum wage workers have to use _________ to get around.
(a) Their legs
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara will take the ____________ paying minimum wage job she can find when she's off on assignment.
2. Who is Barbara Ehrenreich's editor, the one who assigns her the story that became this book?
3. What is the name of the cook who occasionally throws meat against the wall during his shift?
4. When the going gets too rough for Barbara, she admits she will use ____________ to get by.
5. Who is the tiny busy woman who teaches Barbara the rules of the next job she takes on at the hotel adjacent to the restaurant?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)