|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara can not afford gas money because of the $30 she has to spend on a ___________ for her restaurant job.
(a) Application fee
(c) Set of pencils
2. Since Barbara is far from any grocery store, she needs to live on __________ when she eats.
(a) Diet soda
(b) Fast food
(c) Work food
(d) Energy bars
3. What is Barbara's PhD in, according to her own admittance?
(c) Public Policy
4. One manager threatens to take the _______________ privilege from the employees even though this is their only hideout to smoke or eat.
(a) Break room
5. Barbara says that she will not rely on her superior ______________ to support herself.
(d) Name recognition
6. When Barbara walks out of the restaurant, she feels _______ instead of feeling enraged, as she expects to.
7. Later it is rumored that Stu was guilty of stealing money to support his __________ habit.
(a) Crack cocaine
8. Gail reveals that she had to live in _______ and pee into a plastic bottle after her boyfriend she lives with suddenly dies.
(a) The bathroom
(b) A truck
(c) A storage space
(d) A box
9. What is the name of the young Czech dishwasher who Barbara befriends when she is working at the restaurant?
10. When Barbara is paired up with Carlie on her first shift, Carlie is angry they have 19 _________ to swab down in just one shift.
(a) Beach chairs
11. Who is Barbara Ehrenreich's editor, the one who assigns her the story that became this book?
(a) Joseph Truman
(b) Stu Manshet
(c) Lewis Lapham
(d) Louis Lanston
12. Barbara does admit that she modified her __________ when she was new at the job and wanted to fit in.
13. What is the name Barbara uses for the family restaurant where she chooses to work first in Florida?
(d) Heartbreak Hotel
14. What does Barbara not want to mention when she is out in her new working life?
(a) Her daughters
(c) Her hometown
(d) Her husband
15. What is Barbara punished with when she points out that a manager is calling one of his employees by the incorrect name?
(a) Extra work
(b) Loss of tips
(c) Being sent home early
(d) Reduced wages
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara promises to spend a _________ in each location in order to get a sense of the area.
2. The Preamble Center for Public Policy noted that the odds against a typical welfare recipient's landing a job at a ______ were about 97 to 1.
3. What would Barbara use in order to document her daily experiences after her shifts were done for the day?
4. Barbara began to realize that the only thing that made her special and separate from others at her workplace was her lack of __________.
5. According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, in 1998, the hourly wage necessary to afford a one bedroom apartment was _________.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)