|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara admits that at the end of the project, she did break down and ____________, stealthily, though, and never within hearing of management.
(b) Admit her assignment
2. What is the 'dream job' that Barbara lands in addition to her restaurant job, taking on both when in Florida?
(b) Factory work
(c) Office work
3. Barbara does admit that she modified her __________ when she was new at the job and wanted to fit in.
4. What is Barbara's PhD in, according to her own admittance?
(b) Public Policy
5. Barbara begins to realize that when she is a maid, she is not ____________ to be a maid. She really is a maid.
6. When the drug testing is supposed to begin, the employees speculate that it is _________ who is guilty of the drug issue.
7. What is the name of the young Czech dishwasher who Barbara befriends when she is working at the restaurant?
8. The author most dislikes the visible __________ at the restaurant where she works since they complain and never leave good tips.
9. Barbara feels to truly replicate the experience of a minimum wage worker, she would need to have a few __________ in tow too.
(c) Bill collectors
10. Some of the coworkers have to pay $60 a night for a hotel room because they can not save up the ___________ for a first and last month rent payment.
11. Barbara is surprised that she feels a strong urge to ________ the patrons who she meets.
12. Barbara makes the common that the ____________ is too low and that someone used to more should try to live with it.
(a) Worker hour restriction
(b) Health benefit package
(c) Break schedule
(d) Minimum wage
13. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
(d) Higher education
14. Barbara's father had been a _____________; her uncles and grandfathers worked in the mines or for the Union Pacific.
(a) Restaurant owner
(d) Copper miner
15. Barbara notes that she made a rule that she had to work hard at her jobs to keep them, not go off on ________ rants or sneak off to read novels in the ladies' room.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, in 1998, the hourly wage necessary to afford a one bedroom apartment was _________.
2. Barbara states, "Someone ought to do the old-fashioned kind of ________ - you know, go out there and try it for themselves."
3. Many of the businesses in town seem to place ads in the paper ____________ so as to always have applicants.
4. Barbara asks the manager of her trailer park to donate her security deposit to ________.
5. The management at the restaurant try to keep Barbara __________ at every moment of her shift, even when it's slow.
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)