|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the ____________, the interviewer Barbara meets warns her about labor organizers, to avoid them.
(c) Grocery store
2. The management at the restaurant try to keep Barbara __________ at every moment of her shift, even when it's slow.
3. For what magazine does the author of "Nickel and Dimed" work when she is beginning her assignment?
(a) New England Journal
(b) NY Gazette
(c) New York Times
(d) New Yorker
4. What are they listening to at full volume as they are cleaning each of the hotel rooms?
(a) Local news
(b) Soap operas
(c) Their headphones
(d) Rap music
5. The author most dislikes the visible __________ at the restaurant where she works since they complain and never leave good tips.
6. Barbara begins to realize that minimum wage workers are no less ____________ or intelligent than she is.
7. Barbara will keep driving a beat up ____________ car, though she knows many minimum wage workers can not.
8. When Barbara is paired up with Carlie on her first shift, Carlie is angry they have 19 _________ to swab down in just one shift.
(a) Beach chairs
9. Barbara does not want to live a life of _________ or discomfort when it comes to this new assignment.
10. As Barbara downs coffee who does she notice is looking haggard when she shows up for her next job?
11. Barbara states, "Someone ought to do the old-fashioned kind of ________ - you know, go out there and try it for themselves."
12. Barbara can not afford gas money because of the $30 she has to spend on a ___________ for her restaurant job.
(a) Application fee
(b) Set of pencils
13. What is the 'dream job' that Barbara lands in addition to her restaurant job, taking on both when in Florida?
(a) Factory work
(c) Office work
14. Barbara is also not willing to make up a _____________ in order to pad her resume as she is going off to find jobs.
(a) Number of children
(c) Work life
(d) False life
15. Who is the tiny busy woman who teaches Barbara the rules of the next job she takes on at the hotel adjacent to the restaurant?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the drug testing is supposed to begin, the employees speculate that it is _________ who is guilty of the drug issue.
2. Barbara admits she has two things going for her as a minimum wage worker - she is ________ and she is a native English speaker.
3. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
4. The other staff of the hotel refuses to exchange _________ with the housekeepers or show any sort of respect.
5. What is Barbara's PhD in, according to her own admittance?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)