|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gail reveals that she had to live in _______ and pee into a plastic bottle after her boyfriend she lives with suddenly dies.
(a) A truck
(b) A box
(c) A storage space
(d) The bathroom
2. Barbara lets a sewer repairman spend a few minutes cooling off with a ________________ before taking his order.
(a) Glass of ice water
(c) Iced tea
(d) Newspaper fan
3. How long do Carlie and Barbara work before they take a break from their housekeeping work?
(a) 4 hours
(b) 10 hours
(c) 8 hours
(d) 5 hours
4. Barbara notes that she made a rule that she had to work hard at her jobs to keep them, not go off on ________ rants or sneak off to read novels in the ladies' room.
5. Many of the businesses in town seem to place ads in the paper ____________ so as to always have applicants.
(a) On Sundays
(b) On Mondays
(c) Once in a while
6. Barbara does not want to live a life of _________ or discomfort when it comes to this new assignment.
7. What does Ehrenreich discover about her uniform when she is heading over to her second job?
(a) It is too small
(b) It is stained
(c) It is at home
(d) It is ripped
8. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
(a) Higher education
9. Barbara realizes that her use of a car is different as many minimum wage workers have to use _________ to get around.
(d) Their legs
10. Barbara says that she will not rely on her superior ______________ to support herself.
(d) Name recognition
11. Barbara notes that her sister constantly complained about the hopelessness of being a ____________.
(a) Minimum wage worker
(b) Wage slave
12. The Preamble Center for Public Policy noted that the odds against a typical welfare recipient's landing a job at a ______ were about 97 to 1.
(c) Minimum age
(d) Living wage
13. Barbara will keep driving a beat up ____________ car, though she knows many minimum wage workers can not.
14. Barbara asks the manager of her trailer park to donate her security deposit to ________.
15. Barbara certainly does not want to do hard ________ labor when she is working at her new jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. A middle aged waitress named __________ takes Barbara under her wing when she first begins her new job.
2. At what publication does the editor who assigns the story to Barbara work?
3. Barbara begins to realize that when she is a maid, she is not ____________ to be a maid. She really is a maid.
4. Barbara states, "Someone ought to do the old-fashioned kind of ________ - you know, go out there and try it for themselves."
5. Barbara begins to realize that minimum wage workers are no less ____________ or intelligent than she is.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)