|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara admits she has two things going for her as a minimum wage worker - she is ________ and she is a native English speaker.
2. What is Barbara's PhD in, according to her own admittance?
(d) Public Policy
3. What does Barbara not want to mention when she is out in her new working life?
(a) Her daughters
(c) Her hometown
(d) Her husband
4. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
(a) Higher education
5. Barbara is also not willing to make up a _____________ in order to pad her resume as she is going off to find jobs.
(a) Work life
(b) Number of children
(d) False life
6. The businesses place ads in the paper so they can always have a pool of __________ from which to hire at any time.
(a) Cheap labor
(c) Desperate workers
7. Barbara does not want to live a life of _________ or discomfort when it comes to this new assignment.
8. What area of the restaurant is locked up when it is assumed that the dishwasher is stealing from the restaurant?
(a) Dry storage
(b) Meat locker
9. Barbara promises to spend a _________ in each location in order to get a sense of the area.
(c) Few months
10. Barbara will give up completely on the project if it seems she will be ___________, if only for one night.
(d) Out of contact
11. Barbara makes the common that the ____________ is too low and that someone used to more should try to live with it.
(a) Worker hour restriction
(b) Health benefit package
(c) Minimum wage
(d) Break schedule
12. Barbara notes that she made a rule that she had to work hard at her jobs to keep them, not go off on ________ rants or sneak off to read novels in the ladies' room.
13. What does Ehrenreich discover about her uniform when she is heading over to her second job?
(a) It is stained
(b) It is too small
(c) It is ripped
(d) It is at home
14. For what magazine does the author of "Nickel and Dimed" work when she is beginning her assignment?
(a) New York Times
(b) New Yorker
(c) New England Journal
(d) NY Gazette
15. Barbara realizes she will need ____________ in order to pay for her apartment.
(a) Another job
(b) More tips
(c) Less food
(d) To stop driving
Short Answer Questions
1. Many of the businesses in town seem to place ads in the paper ____________ so as to always have applicants.
2. Barbara lets a sewer repairman spend a few minutes cooling off with a ________________ before taking his order.
3. The author most dislikes the visible __________ at the restaurant where she works since they complain and never leave good tips.
4. What is the name of the young Czech dishwasher who Barbara befriends when she is working at the restaurant?
5. Some of the coworkers have to pay $60 a night for a hotel room because they can not save up the ___________ for a first and last month rent payment.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)