|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Later it is rumored that Stu was guilty of stealing money to support his __________ habit.
(a) Crack cocaine
2. Barbara will keep driving a beat up ____________ car, though she knows many minimum wage workers can not.
3. __________ is a city in which Barbara is afraid she might be recognized, so she looks for work in a nearby city.
(a) Key Largo
(b) Key West
(c) New York
4. Barbara realizes that her use of a car is different as many minimum wage workers have to use _________ to get around.
(c) Their legs
5. Barbara certainly does not want to do hard ________ labor when she is working at her new jobs.
6. Some of the coworkers have to pay $60 a night for a hotel room because they can not save up the ___________ for a first and last month rent payment.
7. What did Barbara fear employers would think she was if she were to put the PhD on her resumes and applications?
8. When Barbara is paired up with Carlie on her first shift, Carlie is angry they have 19 _________ to swab down in just one shift.
(a) Beach chairs
9. When a manager sees Barbara having a little __________ during her shift, she is scolded, but instead of fighting it, she walks out.
(a) Sip of water
10. As Barbara downs coffee who does she notice is looking haggard when she shows up for her next job?
11. The author most dislikes the visible __________ at the restaurant where she works since they complain and never leave good tips.
12. Who is Barbara Ehrenreich's editor, the one who assigns her the story that became this book?
(a) Stu Manshet
(b) Louis Lanston
(c) Lewis Lapham
(d) Joseph Truman
13. Barbara promises to spend a _________ in each location in order to get a sense of the area.
(b) Few months
14. A middle aged waitress named __________ takes Barbara under her wing when she first begins her new job.
15. Barbara asks the manager of her trailer park to donate her security deposit to ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara does admit that she modified her __________ when she was new at the job and wanted to fit in.
2. Barbara begins to realize that minimum wage workers are no less ____________ or intelligent than she is.
3. Barbara admits she has two things going for her as a minimum wage worker - she is ________ and she is a native English speaker.
4. Barbara is surprised that she feels a strong urge to ________ the patrons who she meets.
5. At the ____________, the interviewer Barbara meets warns her about labor organizers, to avoid them.
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)