|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ehrenreich discover about her uniform when she is heading over to her second job?
(a) It is stained
(b) It is at home
(c) It is too small
(d) It is ripped
2. Barbara certainly does not want to do hard ________ labor when she is working at her new jobs.
3. Gail reveals that she had to live in _______ and pee into a plastic bottle after her boyfriend she lives with suddenly dies.
(a) A truck
(b) The bathroom
(c) A storage space
(d) A box
4. The Preamble Center for Public Policy noted that the odds against a typical welfare recipient's landing a job at a ______ were about 97 to 1.
(a) Living wage
(d) Minimum age
5. Barbara feels to truly replicate the experience of a minimum wage worker, she would need to have a few __________ in tow too.
(b) Bill collectors
6. What did Barbara fear employers would think she was if she were to put the PhD on her resumes and applications?
7. The management at the restaurant try to keep Barbara __________ at every moment of her shift, even when it's slow.
8. Barbara will give up completely on the project if it seems she will be ___________, if only for one night.
(a) Out of contact
9. Barbara begins to realize that minimum wage workers are no less ____________ or intelligent than she is.
10. As Barbara downs coffee who does she notice is looking haggard when she shows up for her next job?
11. Barbara will keep driving a beat up ____________ car, though she knows many minimum wage workers can not.
12. Barbara promises to spend a _________ in each location in order to get a sense of the area.
(d) Few months
13. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
(d) Higher education
14. What does Jerry's restaurant close off to employees since they don't want other employees lingering there during breaks?
(b) Outside area
(c) Break room
(d) Dining room
15. The businesses place ads in the paper so they can always have a pool of __________ from which to hire at any time.
(a) Desperate workers
(d) Cheap labor
Short Answer Questions
1. Having spend her life with ____________ struggling people, the author is not happy about getting the assignment.
2. What is Barbara punished with when she points out that a manager is calling one of his employees by the incorrect name?
3. Barbara is concerned that her biggest challenge will be to hide her _____________, even though this does not turn out to be an issue.
4. For what magazine does the author of "Nickel and Dimed" work when she is beginning her assignment?
5. When the going gets too rough for Barbara, she admits she will use ____________ to get by.
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)