|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the going gets too rough for Barbara, she admits she will use ____________ to get by.
(c) Credit cards
(d) Her resume
2. At the ____________, the interviewer Barbara meets warns her about labor organizers, to avoid them.
(d) Grocery store
3. Barbara is also not willing to make up a _____________ in order to pad her resume as she is going off to find jobs.
(a) Number of children
(b) Work life
(d) False life
4. How long do Carlie and Barbara work before they take a break from their housekeeping work?
(a) 4 hours
(b) 10 hours
(c) 8 hours
(d) 5 hours
5. Barbara can not afford gas money because of the $30 she has to spend on a ___________ for her restaurant job.
(a) Set of pencils
(c) Application fee
6. What is the name of the young Czech dishwasher who Barbara befriends when she is working at the restaurant?
7. Some of the coworkers have to pay $60 a night for a hotel room because they can not save up the ___________ for a first and last month rent payment.
8. Barbara certainly does not want to do hard ________ labor when she is working at her new jobs.
9. Barbara realizes she will need ____________ in order to pay for her apartment.
(a) To stop driving
(b) More tips
(c) Less food
(d) Another job
10. Barbara is surprised that she feels a strong urge to ________ the patrons who she meets.
11. What does Jerry's restaurant close off to employees since they don't want other employees lingering there during breaks?
(a) Dining room
(b) Outside area
(c) Break room
12. What is Barbara punished with when she points out that a manager is calling one of his employees by the incorrect name?
(a) Extra work
(b) Loss of tips
(c) Being sent home early
(d) Reduced wages
13. When a manager sees Barbara having a little __________ during her shift, she is scolded, but instead of fighting it, she walks out.
(a) Sip of water
14. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
(c) Higher education
15. Barbara begins to realize that when she is a maid, she is not ____________ to be a maid. She really is a maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what publication does the editor who assigns the story to Barbara work?
2. What would Barbara use in order to document her daily experiences after her shifts were done for the day?
3. When Barbara is paired up with Carlie on her first shift, Carlie is angry they have 19 _________ to swab down in just one shift.
4. The Preamble Center for Public Policy noted that the odds against a typical welfare recipient's landing a job at a ______ were about 97 to 1.
5. What area of the restaurant is locked up when it is assumed that the dishwasher is stealing from the restaurant?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)