|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Barbara Ehrenreich's editor, the one who assigns her the story that became this book?
(a) Louis Lanston
(b) Lewis Lapham
(c) Joseph Truman
(d) Stu Manshet
2. According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, in 1998, the hourly wage necessary to afford a one bedroom apartment was _________.
3. Barbara's father had been a _____________; her uncles and grandfathers worked in the mines or for the Union Pacific.
(a) Restaurant owner
(b) Copper miner
4. What is the name of the cook who occasionally throws meat against the wall during his shift?
5. The manager, ________, yells at Barbara for a confused breakfast and a yuppie customer complains too.
6. Barbara certainly does not want to do hard ________ labor when she is working at her new jobs.
7. Barbara promises to spend a _________ in each location in order to get a sense of the area.
(a) Few months
8. Barbara begins to realize that minimum wage workers are no less ____________ or intelligent than she is.
9. Barbara realizes that her use of a car is different as many minimum wage workers have to use _________ to get around.
(b) Their legs
10. The management at the restaurant try to keep Barbara __________ at every moment of her shift, even when it's slow.
11. Later it is rumored that Stu was guilty of stealing money to support his __________ habit.
(d) Crack cocaine
12. Barbara is surprised that she feels a strong urge to ________ the patrons who she meets.
13. Barbara does admit that she modified her __________ when she was new at the job and wanted to fit in.
14. Barbara will keep driving a beat up ____________ car, though she knows many minimum wage workers can not.
15. The other staff of the hotel refuses to exchange _________ with the housekeepers or show any sort of respect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara notes that her sister constantly complained about the hopelessness of being a ____________.
2. Barbara says that she will not rely on her superior ______________ to support herself.
3. At the ____________, the interviewer Barbara meets warns her about labor organizers, to avoid them.
4. What does Ehrenreich discover about her uniform when she is heading over to her second job?
5. What does Jerry's restaurant close off to employees since they don't want other employees lingering there during breaks?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)