|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara begins to realize that minimum wage workers are no less ____________ or intelligent than she is.
2. Barbara will give up completely on the project if it seems she will be ___________, if only for one night.
(b) Out of contact
3. What does Jerry's restaurant close off to employees since they don't want other employees lingering there during breaks?
(a) Dining room
(c) Outside area
(d) Break room
4. What is Barbara punished with when she points out that a manager is calling one of his employees by the incorrect name?
(a) Loss of tips
(b) Extra work
(c) Being sent home early
(d) Reduced wages
5. What is the name of the cook who occasionally throws meat against the wall during his shift?
6. What is the name of the young Czech dishwasher who Barbara befriends when she is working at the restaurant?
7. What area of the restaurant is locked up when it is assumed that the dishwasher is stealing from the restaurant?
(b) Meat locker
(d) Dry storage
8. Barbara is surprised that she feels a strong urge to ________ the patrons who she meets.
9. When the going gets too rough for Barbara, she admits she will use ____________ to get by.
(a) Credit cards
(d) Her resume
10. Who is the tiny busy woman who teaches Barbara the rules of the next job she takes on at the hotel adjacent to the restaurant?
11. A middle aged waitress named __________ takes Barbara under her wing when she first begins her new job.
12. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
(a) Higher education
13. Barbara is concerned that her biggest challenge will be to hide her _____________, even though this does not turn out to be an issue.
(d) Writing career
14. One manager threatens to take the _______________ privilege from the employees even though this is their only hideout to smoke or eat.
(b) Break room
15. What is the name Barbara uses for the family restaurant where she chooses to work first in Florida?
(a) Heartbreak Hotel
Short Answer Questions
1. When the drug testing is supposed to begin, the employees speculate that it is _________ who is guilty of the drug issue.
2. The Preamble Center for Public Policy noted that the odds against a typical welfare recipient's landing a job at a ______ were about 97 to 1.
3. As Barbara downs coffee who does she notice is looking haggard when she shows up for her next job?
4. Barbara notes that she made a rule that she had to work hard at her jobs to keep them, not go off on ________ rants or sneak off to read novels in the ladies' room.
5. The author most dislikes the visible __________ at the restaurant where she works since they complain and never leave good tips.
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)