|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara realizes that her use of a car is different as many minimum wage workers have to use _________ to get around.
(c) Their legs
2. Barbara begins to realize that minimum wage workers are no less ____________ or intelligent than she is.
3. As Barbara downs coffee who does she notice is looking haggard when she shows up for her next job?
4. Barbara is also not willing to make up a _____________ in order to pad her resume as she is going off to find jobs.
(a) Number of children
(c) Work life
(d) False life
5. The management at the restaurant try to keep Barbara __________ at every moment of her shift, even when it's slow.
6. What is the name of the cook who occasionally throws meat against the wall during his shift?
7. The other restaurant that Barbara works at during her time in Florida is called ___________, a chain with huge food and calorie packed dishes.
8. What area of the restaurant is locked up when it is assumed that the dishwasher is stealing from the restaurant?
(b) Dry storage
(d) Meat locker
9. The businesses place ads in the paper so they can always have a pool of __________ from which to hire at any time.
(a) Desperate workers
(c) Cheap labor
10. When Barbara walks out of the restaurant, she feels _______ instead of feeling enraged, as she expects to.
11. Who is Barbara Ehrenreich's editor, the one who assigns her the story that became this book?
(a) Stu Manshet
(b) Louis Lanston
(c) Lewis Lapham
(d) Joseph Truman
12. Barbara admits that at the end of the project, she did break down and ____________, stealthily, though, and never within hearing of management.
(b) Admit her assignment
13. Barbara's father had been a _____________; her uncles and grandfathers worked in the mines or for the Union Pacific.
(a) Restaurant owner
(b) Copper miner
14. Barbara says that she will not rely on her superior ______________ to support herself.
(a) Name recognition
15. Barbara asks the manager of her trailer park to donate her security deposit to ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the ____________, the interviewer Barbara meets warns her about labor organizers, to avoid them.
2. Barbara is surprised that she feels a strong urge to ________ the patrons who she meets.
3. Barbara lets a sewer repairman spend a few minutes cooling off with a ________________ before taking his order.
4. The Preamble Center for Public Policy noted that the odds against a typical welfare recipient's landing a job at a ______ were about 97 to 1.
5. Many of the businesses in town seem to place ads in the paper ____________ so as to always have applicants.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)