|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month and year is Nicholas II crowned Tsar?
(a) January 1896.
(b) May 1896.
(c) January 1895.
(d) May 1895.
2. Does Queen Victoria have a child with hemophilia? If so, what is the child's name?
(b) Yes. Louise.
(c) Yes. Leopold.
(d) Yes. Albert.
3. This Russian wins the Nobel Prize in 1904:
(a) Ivan Pavlov.
(b) Leon Trotsky.
(c) Leo Tolstoy.
(d) Mikhail Gorbachev.
4. Why does the royal trains stop wherever there is a cool spot or water available?
(a) Because travel is hot and stuffy.
(b) Because the trains overheat often.
(c) Because there is no water on the trains.
(d) Because travel is cold and damp.
5. What happens to Alexandra as a result of the stress she experiences while caring for Alexis during the first eleven days of his injury?
(a) She has a stroke.
(b) Her hair begns to turn gray.
(c) She has a nervous breakdown.
(d) Her hair falls out.
6. The Queen is known to carry the gene for hemophilia. How many of her daughters also carry the gene?
7. Where are the Romanovs when Austria's Archduke Ferdinand is assassinated in Sarajevo in 1914?
(a) Vacationing at Livadia.
(b) Hunting in Spala.
(c) Sailing on the Standart.
(d) Vacationing in the Crimean mountains.
8. What does the Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna say about Nicholas and Alexandra?
(a) She says they are the last generation of Romanov rulers.
(b) She says they are known as the greatest Romanov rulers in history.
(c) She says that Nicholas ought to award the throne to his brother Michael in light of Alexis' illness.
(d) She says their son, Alexis, becomes the greatest Romanov ruler.
9. Nicholas and Alexandra's first home is at the palace in:
(b) St. Petersburg.
(d) Tsarskoe Selo.
10. In whose carriage does Nicholas' mother, Marie, ride during the coronation ceremony?
(b) Vlad the Impaler's.
(c) Catherine the Great's.
11. When do Tsars invoke the blessing of the icon the Vladimir Mother of God?
(a) During war.
(b) During peace.
(c) Before they go to bed.
(d) When they are crowned.
12. The Tsar is the ruler of which country?
(c) The Soviet Union.
13. In addition to all the official ceremonies, what else do the Romanovs do to celebrate Russia's tercentenary?
(a) They make a pilgrimage to Constantinople, the seat of Orthodoxy.
(b) They make a cross-country public relations trip.
(c) They make a pilgrimage to trace the route of the first Tsar.
(d) They make a public relations trip through every country in Europe.
14. What happens to the two older girls instead of their debut?
(a) They stay with the family at Tsarskoe Selo.
(b) They are sent to their Aunt Ella's convent.
(c) They are sent to St. Petersburg.
(d) They are sent to England.
15. When Austria presents an ultimatum to Serbia, what is Serbia's first reaction?
(a) They reject it outright.
(b) They appeal to their protector, Germany, for help.
(c) They start shelling Austria.
(d) They appeal to their protector, Russia, for help.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which member of the European royal family does the hemophilia gene first appear as a spontaneous mutation?
2. With whom do the girls go to St. Petersburg on Sundays?
3. What is the response of Kaiser William, the ruler of Germany and Tsar Nicholas' cousin, to the Austrian shelling of Serbia?
4. Why does Russia negotiate a ninety-nine-year lease with China on Port Arthur?
5. Alexis' illness _________ alter the household routine.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)