|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Volker do, sitting at the threshold below the great door of the hall in Adventure 30?
2. Where does Gernot ask to be allowed to fight?
3. Where do Gunther, his brothers, and the other nobles sleep after the Midsummer's Eve festivities?
4. What is the nuptial gift to Nuodumg's betrothed?
5. What does Dietrich think when he hears the crying over Rudeger's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do all of the lives lost while avenging Siegfried's death testify to Siegfried's greatness, or do they make him smaller, as just one of the many dead? Is Siegfried still superior to the others, or was he just an earlier figure, from a time when magic was still available to help men?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of the envoys that are sent back and forth between Gunther's house and Siegfried's and then Kriemhild's. Why are messengers important in these societies, and why is a delay in response unforgivable? How are the instances where messengers arrive with messages different throughout the Nibelungenlied?
Essay Topic 3
Why do Gunther,Giselher, and Gernot protect Hagen? What strength does he have that keeps justice from coming down on him? What has he done for Gunther and the others?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)