|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who announces in front of the company at the Margrave's home that he would wish to have the Margrave's daughter as a wife?
2. What does Kriemhild tell the warriors she gathers to wait for?
3. What is Dietrich trying to accomplish by going to see Gunther and Hagen after he discovers that his men are slain?
4. Why does Hildebrand arm himself before he goes to inquire about the lamenting?
5. What does Dankwart tell Hagen when he bursts into the feast hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the bloodshed that takes place in the Hungarian hall Kriemhild's doing, or does she bring about something that the men have created themselves? Is she driving the men with her grief, or is she just a catalyst for the justice that should have been enacted in the first place?
Essay Topic 2
Hagen is a very important character in this poem. Without Hagen there is no murder of Siegfried. What kind of a person is Hagen? One way to highlight his true character is to provide a foil in the poem to highlight certain aspects of his makeup and help the reader decipher his motivations. Write an essay that compares and contrasts Hagen to his brother, Dancwart. What does the foil character reveal about Hagen that we would not know otherwise? Provide at least three examples and use the poem to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Repetition is an important characteristic in Das Nibelungenlied. There are various elements in the first half of the poem that are repeated in the second half. Write an essay that provides examples of three patterns that exist in the poem and explain what these patterns contribute to the plot, mood, theme, or other aspect of the poem. Use examples from the poem to support your argument.
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)