|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes the clothing that Gunther wears to meet Brunhild?
2. Where is the city of Xanten located?
3. What occasion causes Etzel to seek Kriemhild's hand in marriage?
4. What theme runs through the chapter in which the warriors meet Brunhild?
5. What dream does Kriemhild relate to Siegfried before his hunting trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Etzel's marriage proposal come about?
2. Describe Siegfried.
3. What happens when Kriemhild weeps when she sees Hagen and Folker talking together?
4. Why is it smart that that Hagen asks Volker to stand by him when they are approached by Kriemhild and four hundred armed soldiers?
5. Why does Etzel consider Volker to be the most dreadful guest?
6. What finally convinces Dietrich to join the fight in the feast hall?
7. What is Siegfried more interested in than ruling as king, and why?
8. What is given as a dowry for the Margrave's daughter, and by whom?
9. How do Kriemhild's relatives convince her to stay among them when they allowed her beloved husband to be murdered?
10. Describe Gunther's men's arrival at Rudeger's hall.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explains the reasons why does Rudiger stays away from the fray between the Gunther's men and Etzel's men until the very end.
Part 1: What oaths and customs prohibit his involvement, or is there another reason he stays away?
Part 2: Does Rudiger try to stay true to his oaths? If so how? If not, why not? What involvement do Etzel and Kriemhild have in changing his mind?
Use specific examples from the poem to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
What is the moral of the Nibelungenlied? What lesson does it teach about grief and justice?
Essay Topic 3
Why do Gunther,Giselher, and Gernot protect Hagen? What strength does he have that keeps justice from coming down on him? What has he done for Gunther and the others?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)