|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the discussion, who taunts Hagen about whether to travel to Hungary to see Etzel and Kriemhild?
2. What do Siegfried's men do after Kriemhild responds to Siegmund's request?
3. What happens to Brunhild after she lies with Gunther?
4. In what city are Etzel and Kriemhild wed?
5. Who escorts the Nibelungs from Worms on their return to their own lands after the murder of Siegfried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gunther parade the women in front of the knights at the tournament?
2. Why is it important that Hagen does not rise at the approach of Kriemhild when she approaches with four hundred armed warriors?
3. What is the significance of Gunther's decision to send Siegfried ahead as a messenger to return word of his marriage with Brunhild?
4. What conditions do Kriemhild and Etzel offer Gunther and his men?
5. Why does Etzel consider Volker to be the most dreadful guest?
6. How does Iring end up fighting Hagen alone?
7. Why do Gunther and Gernot decide to introduce Kriemhild to Siegfried, even though she has never been introduced to a knight before?
8. What does Hagen initially tell King Gunther when they find that the Danube river is swollen and treacherous to cross?
9. Describe Kriemhild's welcome of Hagen and Gunther and their men.
10. What does Hagen do when he hears that Dankwart has been attacked and that Bloedelin has been killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of hospitality and clemency in the Nibelungenlied. Cite three instances where someone is allowed to survive a battle, and describe the benefits that accrued to the person who let them go.
Essay Topic 2
King Gunther and his brothers are trapped in the hall with violence that escalates out of control once Hagen kills the infant child of Etzel and Kriemhild. Write an essay that describes the reaction of each of the brothers to the violence. How does each react as it starts and as it continues? What does this reaction reveal or confirm about each king's character? Be sure to discuss the kings' reaction to Dietrich's request to remove himself and others from the violence, if applicable. Use the poem to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Is the bloodshed that takes place in the Hungarian hall Kriemhild's doing, or does she bring about something that the men have created themselves? Is she driving the men with her grief, or is she just a catalyst for the justice that should have been enacted in the first place?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)