|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men does Gunther send to Siegfried with an invitation to come to Burgundy?
2. Whom does Kriemhild forgive for involvement in the murder of Siegfried?
3. What will happen if Gunther cannot best Brunhild?
4. Where is the city of Xanten located?
5. How long does Kriemhild go without speaking to Gunther after Siegfried dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hagen refuse to pursue the Hunnish knights who come in the night to murder Gunther and his men while they sleep after the Midsummer Eve's festivities?
2. What is the secret of Siegfried's strength?
3. How does Kriemhild end up being killed?
4. Why does Hagen murder the ferryman?
5. How is Hagen's guilt for Siegfried's murder revealed?
6. What causes Iring to step forward to challenge Hagen?
7. What is given as a dowry for the Margrave's daughter, and by whom?
8. How does Kriemhild feel about getting married one day?
9. Describe Kriemhild's wedding festivities.
10. Who are Gernot and Giselher, and how do they react to the murder of Siegfried?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After almost thirteen years, Kriemhild has had time to become nearly obsessed by Siegfried's death. She asks her husband to send messengers to Burgundy, seeking to bring her brothers for a visit. Kriemhild has been wronged, and since she does not possess the physical ability to avenge the wrong herself, she must work her plan of revenge through her husband. Over the years since the death of her beloved Siegfried, does Kriemhild's thirst for revenge change or evolve? Write an essay comparing and contrasting Kriemhild's desire for revenge over the years.
Essay Topic 2
What is the moral of the Nibelungenlied? What lesson does it teach about grief and justice?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the women's roles in the Nibelungenlied. What roles do women play in the courtly drama and in the battles men fight? Are Brunhild and the mermaids and Kriemhild and Dame Uta all cut from one cloth, or do they serve different roles and purposes in the narrative?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)