|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the city of Xanten located?
(b) The Netherlands.
2. Why is King Etzel concerned that Kriemhild will not marry him?
(a) Because she is still in mourning.
(b) Because she will not want to leave her kinsmen.
(c) Because he is a heathen.
(d) Because he is so much older than she is.
3. Why does Ortwin suggest to Gunther that he bring out lovely maidens for his guests to see at the festivities in Adventure 5?
(a) Because he wants to appease the warriors' demands.
(b) Because he wants an excuse for Siegfried to meet Kriemhild.
(c) Because he has spent much gold attiring the maidens of Burgundy.
(d) Because they will entice warriors to outdo each other in the festivities.
4. How many men does Gunther send to Siegfried with an invitation to come to Burgundy?
(a) A thousand.
(d) A hundred.
5. What theme runs through the chapter in which the warriors meet Brunhild?
(a) Presenting oneself as a worthy opponent or lover.
(b) Banishing evil from the world.
(c) Winning lands and riches through strength.
(d) Redeeming the people through acts of heroism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the meeting between Etzel's messengers and Brunhild have to be delayed?
2. How does Siegfried subdue Brunhild?
3. Who offers to go with Siegfried to visit Gunther and Brunhild?
4. How many days of festivities occur before Brunhild and Kriemhild begin quarreling?
5. What does Brunhild give Gunther and his men after she explains the games?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kriemhild end up being killed?
2. Describe Kriemhild's journey to Hungary.
3. Was the death of the single Hun, which was caused by Volker's lance, an accident?
4. Who are Gernot and Giselher, and how do they react to the murder of Siegfried?
5. Why does Hagen attempt to explain to Gelpfrat what actually happens to the ferryman?
6. What is the story that Hagen relates to Gunther about Siegfried?
7. What did Kriemhild dream, and why did Siegfried dismiss her dream?
8. Why does Gunther parade the women in front of the knights at the tournament?
9. What is Kriemhild about to do when she hears of Etzel's marriage proposal?
10. What are the gifts Rudeger returns to Gunther's men, and whom does he return them to?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)