|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Brunhild and Kriemhild greet each other the first time they meet?
(a) They curtsey to one another.
(b) They bow silently without making eye contact.
(c) They beam brilliant smiles and embrace with tears of joy in their eyes.
(d) They kiss one another.
2. Who fiercely objects to accepting the invitation to visit Hungary?
(a) The council.
(c) The Burgundian kings.
3. What blood relative consoles Kriemhild in Burgundy after the death of Siegfried?
(b) The Nibelungs.
4. What lady meets Kriemhild, at the request of Rudinger?
(a) The wife of Rudinger.
(b) The Margravine.
(c) Lady Gotelind.
(d) All answers are correct.
5. Who pledges to harm Siegfried or die in the attempt?
6. For how long does Kriemhild lie in mourning?
(a) Nine years.
(b) Three-and-a-half years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Seven years.
7. What does Kriemhild give to Siegfried as a reward for his message from Gunther?
(a) A dozen jewel-encrusted swords.
(b) Twenty-four bracelets.
(c) Twenty-four lashes of a whip.
(d) A death sentence.
8. With whom does Kriemhild discuss her dream?
9. How many vassals does Kriemhild take with her to the Netherlands?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) One thousand.
10. What is unusual about Queen Brunhild?
(a) She is respected as much as a man of her station.
(b) She is very strong physically.
(c) She has never been seen in public because she is so beautiful.
(d) She frequently condemns to death men who offend her.
11. Who tries to stop Hagen's treasonous plan?
12. What comment of Kriemhild's sets off the quarrel between herself and Brunhild?
(a) My husband is so mighty that he might rule over all kingdoms.
(b) Your husband is a great king, but no man is equal to my husband.
(c) My husband is the ruler of all kingdoms in the land.
(d) Your husband will never have dominion over all kingdoms as long as my husband is alive.
13. How many days of festivities occur before Brunhild and Kriemhild begin quarreling?
14. What further insult does Hagen reign upon Siegfried's lifeless body after they bring it back to the fortress?
(a) He curses over the body by moonlight.
(b) He covers the body in mud and muck.
(c) He leaves the body with the horses.
(d) He sets the body down on the threshold of Kriemhild's apartment.
15. Whom does Kriemhild forgive for involvement in the murder of Siegfried?
(a) Everyone except Hagen.
(b) Gernot and Giselher.
(c) Everyone except Hagen and Gunther.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gunther tell Brunhild at first when she wishes for him to invite his sister and her husband to visit them?
2. What dream does Kriemhild relate to Siegfried before his hunting trip?
3. What does Brunhild want to know when she confronts Siegfried during his visit to Burgundy?
4. What occasion causes Etzel to seek Kriemhild's hand in marriage?
5. How does Gunther answer Kriemhild's messengers?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)