|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the four newlyweds do after mass is sung the morning after the wedding night?
(a) Preside over the wedding feast.
(b) Don festive clothing and dance the customary post-nuptial dance.
(c) Bestow lavish gifts on noble men and women.
(d) Attend the royal rites and become crowned.
2. What does Kriemhild do, without her husband's knowledge, when her family is invited to the summer festival in Hungary?
(a) Give treasure to the messengers to use to adorn Siegfried's grave.
(b) Give treasure to the messengers for them to give to Giselher.
(c) Take an additional messenger with them to persuade her brothers to come to Hungary.
(d) Have a secret meeting with the messengers in her apartments.
3. What does Siegfried tell Gunther before he goes to bring warriors back to Isenstein after the contest between Gunther and Brunhild is over?
(a) I will be back in a fortnight.
(b) Tell Brunhild it is your idea that I go.
(c) Do not fear Brunhild.
(d) Remember you promised that I will marry your sister.
4. For how long does Kriemhild lie in mourning?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Three-and-a-half years.
(d) Nine years.
5. How many warriors go with Siegfried to win the hand of the fair maiden?
6. How long does Kriemhild go without speaking to Gunther after Siegfried dies?
(a) Three-and-one-half years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two-and-one-half years.
7. What does Gunther say he must do before he can accept the invitation to visit Etzel and Kriemhild?
(a) Consult his council.
(b) Consult Hagen.
(c) Consult his brothers.
(d) Consult Brunhild.
8. How long does the wedding feast last when Etzel takes Kriemhild as a bride?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) Seventeen days.
(c) Seven days.
(d) Four days.
9. What words spoken by Kriemhild pain Siegmund while he is convincing her to return to Siegfried's lands?
(a) The blood-feud only involves Siegfried, not his wife.
(b) My family is loyal to me.
(c) I command my son to the kind protection of the knights.
(d) None of my kin lives in Nibelungland.
10. What occasion causes Etzel to seek Kriemhild's hand in marriage?
(a) Etzel came of age.
(b) Etzel's wife died.
(c) Etzel wanted to take a second wife.
(d) Etzel had just been made king.
11. Who is guarding the Nibelungers' land when Siegfried arrives?
(b) A dwarf, Albric.
(c) A giant.
12. Who does not join the mourners at the cathedral?
(c) All answers are incorrect.
(d) The people of Burgundy.
13. When Siegfried, acting as Gunther's messenger, shows up in Burgundy without Gunther, what does Giselher assume?
(a) That Gunther is married.
(b) That Gunther has lost their lands in a contest with Brunhild.
(c) That Gunther is dead.
(d) That Siegfried marries Brunhild instead of Gunther.
14. How many princes of lofty rank rode before Etzel to meet Kriemhild on her way to wed him?
(c) One hundred.
15. Of what does Kriemhild accuse Brunhild during their argument about their husbands?
(a) Stealing a gold ring that Siegfried gives to her on her wedding night.
(b) Stealing a girdle that Siegfried gives to her on their wedding night.
(c) Being the paramour of a king.
(d) Hiding a former romantic relationship with Siegfried.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Hagen approaches Siegfried's bier?
2. What country does Etzel rule?
3. With whom does Kriemhild discuss her dream?
4. Which answer describes Gunther's wedding night?
5. Whom does Kriemhild forgive for involvement in the murder of Siegfried?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)