|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What social rank does Liudegast hold?
(a) He is a knight.
(b) He is a king.
(c) He is a commoner.
(d) He is a count.
2. Why does Ortwin suggest to Gunther that he bring out lovely maidens for his guests to see at the festivities in Adventure 5?
(a) Because they will entice warriors to outdo each other in the festivities.
(b) Because he has spent much gold attiring the maidens of Burgundy.
(c) Because he wants to appease the warriors' demands.
(d) Because he wants an excuse for Siegfried to meet Kriemhild.
3. What does Kriemhild give to Siegfried as a reward for his message from Gunther?
(a) A death sentence.
(b) Twenty-four lashes of a whip.
(c) A dozen jewel-encrusted swords.
(d) Twenty-four bracelets.
4. What does Siegfried do with the treasure he wins from the Nibelungers?
(a) He puts it in a cave.
(b) He spends it on Kriemhild.
(c) He takes it to his castle.
(d) He builds a castle with it.
5. Who urges Hagen not to travel to Hungary?
(b) Sir Rumold.
6. What does Siegmund ask Kriemhild to do after Siegfried's funeral?
(a) Give Siegfried's lands and property away and live with Siegmund.
(b) Plot against Hagen.
(c) Rule over Siegfried's lands.
(d) Plot against Brunhild.
7. How many warriors go with Siegfried to win the hand of the fair maiden?
8. Who makes the clothing that Gunther wears to meet Brunhild?
(a) A harem of skilled seamstresses from Morocco.
(b) Seven skilled maidens commanded by Gunther.
(c) Seamstresses skilled in the silk trade from Libya.
(d) Thirty skilled maidens commanded by Kriemhild.
9. What does Brunhild and her ladies observe Siegfried do for Gunther that is designed to make Gunther look more kingly?
(a) Place a crown on his head.
(b) Hand him a sword.
(c) Hand him a lance.
(d) Hold a stirrup.
10. What person does Kriemhild notify first after discovering Siegfried's murder?
11. In Adventure 4, what does the secret messenger convey to Kriemhild?
(a) A gift of love from Siegfried.
(b) News of her brother's death.
(c) A poem of love from Siegfried.
(d) News of how well Siegfried fights the battle against the two kings.
12. How many vassals does Kriemhild take with her to the Netherlands?
(b) Five hundred.
(c) One thousand.
13. What does Kriemhild think about as soon as she sees Siegfried's dead body?
(a) Siegfried's reputation among her people.
(b) Hagen's questions about Siegfried's vulnerability.
(c) Gunther's weakness in preventing Hagen's assassination.
(d) Brunhild's disdain for her.
14. What messengers go to Burgundy to invite Gunther and his men to visit Kriemhild in Hungary?
(a) Four men with swift horses.
(b) Four of the greatest Hungarian warriors.
(c) Two minstrels with fiddles.
(d) Two diplomats.
15. Oddly enough, who is sent as a messenger to Uote and Kriemhild at Burgundy after the contest between Gunther and Brunhild?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which kings unite to march against King Gunther's lands?
2. Who is determined to woo Kriemhild?
3. After the queens start to argue about their husbands' rank, why do the people wonder when they see the queens at the cathedral?
4. Who travels to Kriemhild on Etzel's behalf?
5. To whom does Kriemhild become attached while in Pochlarn?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)