|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Kendall decides to tell everyone that Dave, the hybrid, is actually a human who suffers from what?
2. How old is Georgia's daughter?
3. Gerard knows _______________________ so Mrs. Bond hopes she might hear from him again some day.
4. In Berkley, Mark Sanger is arrested for tampering with the leatherback turtles __________________.
5. In Paris, Barton Williams boards what, with Gerard in tow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Bob Koch gets Alex's case straightened out.
2. Billy Cleever, the sixth grader Dave bit earlier in the day, is on his way home from school with his friends when they see Dave and Jamie up ahead. Billy's friends goad him into getting Dave back for the earlier incident. Billy jumps Jamie in the park, knocking him down. What are your opinions of that incident?
3. What ordeal does Gerard face when Stan Milgram drops him at the side of the road?
4. Describe the advertising meeting in London.
5. Who, it turns out, was actually responsible for destroying BioGen and contaminating the cell line and why? What is the outcome?
6. What major problem regarding Burnet's cells does Rick have in this section and what could that mean later on?
7. Do you agree or disagree with Ellis Levine wanting to sue Josh for his mother's Alzheimer's symptoms?
8. Dave fits in well with the Kendall family, but it does not take long before he realizes that he is different from everyone else. Lynn tries to make him feel better, but has difficulty knowing how to treat him. How might you deal with the situation in Lynn's place?
9. Explain the incident with the turtle and what it implies.
10. In Paris, Barton Williams boards his private jet with Gerard in tow, a gift for his wife. However, Gerard talks so much, repeating the words of everyone on board, that Williams gives him to one of the stewardesses rather than take it home and listen to it talk all the time. The stewardess takes it to a pet shop in Shaker Heights and gives it to the guy behind the counter, Stan Milgram. How do you feel about the way Gerard is being passed about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the book focuses on Marty Roberts, the medical examiner. Explain why Marty Roberts is in trouble and feels the need to alter evidence to suit his own needs. Also, do you agree or disagree with Marty telling Mrs. Weller to have Mr. Weller's body burned. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A central topic of the book is animal experimentation. Answer the following questions comparing Gerard's case to Dave's:
1. Since breeding a chimpanzee with a man can be potentially dangerous, do you feel that Henry should not have experimented with an embryo to create Dave? Why or why not?
2. Since giving Gerard, a parrot, super intelligence does not seem outwardly dangerous, does that make his case more acceptable than Dave's? Use several examples from the story and real life to explain your opinion.
3. Do you feel that Gerard, Dave, neither or both should be considered property? Does heightened intelligence automatically indicate that they should be considered intelligent beings in charge of their own lives, or are they property, since they were the result of lab experiments?
Essay Topic 3
Marty Roberts begins to feel pressure when Mrs. Weller threatens to sue and he is later surprised to see that some of Mr. Weller's bones are missing and then that some are replaced with metal tubes. When he later finds that the lab results were skewed and Mr. Weller may have been poisoned, he is enraged because all of the hospital problems are falling on his head.
Part 1: Do you feel that all hospitals are corrupt in some way or mix up test results, either accidentally or on purpose. For what reasons?
Part 2: If you were in Marty Roberts' place, how would you have handled all of the above mentioned problems at the hospital?
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)