|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dolly and Vasco arrive at Pebble Beach in a what?
2. Mrs. Kendall's son's name is what?
3. Who is Dolly?
4. Alex Burnet is in the middle of the biggest case of her career, so she does not ask many questions when her dad announces he is going out of town for how long?
5. Josh's mother calls him and tells him the son of her friend on whom he used the maturity gene has _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. If you were Lynn Kendall, Henry's wife, would you put up with Henry's bringing the chimpanzee hybrid home?
2. In Paris, Gail Bond stops spending the night at her own apartment, giving her husband the opportunity to make Gerard, their transgenic bird, disappear. Gail knows her husband is behind the disappearance due to his hatred of the bird, but cannot prove it. What does that say about Gail as a person?
3. What major problem regarding Burnet's cells does Rick have in this section and what could that mean later on?
4. How and why do Henry and Lynn's attitudes about having Dave in their home seem to reverse in this section?
5. Explain the interactions between Stan Milgram and Gerard in this section and Stan's unusual reaction to Gerard.
6. Billy Cleever, the sixth grader Dave bit earlier in the day, is on his way home from school with his friends when they see Dave and Jamie up ahead. Billy's friends goad him into getting Dave back for the earlier incident. Billy jumps Jamie in the park, knocking him down. What are your opinions of that incident?
7. How is Brad Gordon's situation worsened, yet again, in this section of the book?
8. With regard to his mother's New York cousin, how does Josh redeem himself a bit in this section of the book?
9. How did Alex's father try to warn Alex of the situation and what objects did he send her to help?
10. Explain the incident with the turtle and what it implies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The topic of animal testing is a sensitive one.
Part 1: Do you condone animal testing? Why or why not?
Part 2: Does your opinion of animal testing depend on which animals are being tested? For example, do you consider testing on mice acceptible, but testing on dogs or cats deplorable? What are your reasons for those opinions?
Part 3: Over all, do you think animal testing is helpful or harmful, both in the book and in real life? Use examples from the book and from real life to back up your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Josh Winkler takes a retrovirus from his lab and, by accident, his brother, Adam, inhales it.
Part 1: Why did Josh take the retrovirus from the lab?
Part 2: Was Josh as greedy as Rick, Marty or Robert, as the book progressed? Why or why not?
Part 3: Use examples from the book to explain the different phases of greed, guilt and redemption for Josh.
Essay Topic 3
Marty Roberts begins to feel pressure when Mrs. Weller threatens to sue and he is later surprised to see that some of Mr. Weller's bones are missing and then that some are replaced with metal tubes. When he later finds that the lab results were skewed and Mr. Weller may have been poisoned, he is enraged because all of the hospital problems are falling on his head.
Part 1: Do you feel that all hospitals are corrupt in some way or mix up test results, either accidentally or on purpose. For what reasons?
Part 2: If you were in Marty Roberts' place, how would you have handled all of the above mentioned problems at the hospital?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)