|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the orangutan sanctuary?
2. The fugitive locks himself in what?
3. Frank's doctor eventually asked him to come in for tests every three months for how many years?
4. Brad Gordon is arrested for aggravated assault and ______________.
5. A few days later, Roberts gets a call from Emily Weller letting him know she cannot have her husband cremated because the funeral parlor found __________ in his arms and legs.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does BioGen try to discredit Frank?
2. Explain the reaction that Tom Weller's sister has to her father's death. If you were in Tom's sister's position, would you have the same reaction?
3. Explain Alex Burnet's feelings about the court case against her father.
4. Explain how the Levines are further identified, in Chapter 23 and what that could mean later, as things develop.
5. Based on information int his section, what sort of person is Emily Weller?
6. Why is Frank Burnet suing the Regents of the University of California?
7. How does a previous incident with Brad come up in this section?
8. Explain Rick Diehl's attitude regarding finding out that his wife cheated on him.
9. Describe Jack Watson's reaction to the news that RIck's car was stolen and what that indicates about Watson's character.
10. Although bio research can be useful, it can also cause problems. What are some of the potential problems that may be associated with bio research?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters evolve throughout the story. Choose any one of the following characters and discuss the major events and changes they went through, as the story progressed.
Essay Topic 2
Answer the following questions about Henry using examples from the story:
1. Why do you think Henry wanted to create a highly intelligent chimpanzee?
2. Why do you think Henry used his own DNA to make the chimpanzee cross breed, Dave?
3. Do you think that Henry thought of Dave as his son, or only as his experiment? Do you feel that his opinion changed throughout the book? If so, when and in what ways? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
A central topic of the book is animal experimentation. Answer the following questions comparing Gerard's case to Dave's:
1. Since breeding a chimpanzee with a man can be potentially dangerous, do you feel that Henry should not have experimented with an embryo to create Dave? Why or why not?
2. Since giving Gerard, a parrot, super intelligence does not seem outwardly dangerous, does that make his case more acceptable than Dave's? Use several examples from the story and real life to explain your opinion.
3. Do you feel that Gerard, Dave, neither or both should be considered property? Does heightened intelligence automatically indicate that they should be considered intelligent beings in charge of their own lives, or are they property, since they were the result of lab experiments?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)