|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day Brad gets out of jail on bail who approaches him?
2. In what state is Mr. Bellarmino giving a speech?
3. Roberts calls Emily Weller back and tells her that he has a copy of a prescription for the __________ found in her husband's body.
4. Who is Brad the nephew of?
5. Mrs. Bond has worked on transferring human _____________ to animals.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does BioGen try to discredit Frank?
2. Do you agree with Josh's attitude when Adam inhales the retrovirus? Why or why not?
3. Henry Kendall learns that the blood he took to Roberts is human and that the DNA matches his own. Henry goes to the NIH lab in Bethesda where he was working on a transgenic chimpanzee four years ago when an encephalitis outbreak interrupted. Henry spends time with the chimpanzee, who is, for all intents and purposes, Henry's son, before learning it is to be destroyed. Henry decides to steal the chimpanzee from the lab and take it home, though he is not sure what he will do with him then. Do you feel that it was right for Henry to steal the Chimpanzee?
4. When Adam's behavior suddenly changes and he goes off drugs and gets a job, Josh tells their mother about the retrovirus Adam inhaled. Then, their mother asks Josh to send some of the retrovirus to a drug-addicted son of a friend. Do you agree with that request or Josh's reaction to it? Why or why not?
5. Explain Henry Kendall's reaction to the news of a talking orangutan in Sumatra.
6. Describe Brad's attitude and activities in this section. What do they say about his moral character?
7. Why is Frank Burnet suing the Regents of the University of California?
8. Explain how Dr. Bellarmino shows conflicting attitude is this section of the book.
9. Explain Alex Burnet's feelings about the court case against her father.
10. How does a previous incident with Brad come up in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Josh's mother had the best of intentions in asking Josh to send retrovirus to her neighbor's son and to her cousin in New York. Write an essay on your opinion of the morality of her decision, using both examples from the book and from real life. Since Josh's mother had good intentions, do you feel that it is her fault that things went so badly? Why or why not? Also, what might have happened if the retrovirus wound up in the hands of someone else accidentally, for example a small child?
Essay Topic 2
Many events are foreshadowed in the book. Describe at least four examples where foreshadowing was used and also discuss the results of those events.
Essay Topic 3
Rick Diehl tries to get custody of his children by using his wife's genes to show that she is an unfit mother. Answer the following questions about that situation:
1. Do you feel that Rick should have custody of the children? Why or why not?
2. Do you feel that Rick has any right to say that his wife is genetically unfit to have custody? Why or why not?
3. What qualities do you feel make a good parent? Do you think that Rick or his wife have any of those qualities. If yes, which ones? If no, who should get the children, instead?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)