|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 9, Gabe appears, singing that he is "more than" what?
2. What song is sung by Diana and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 9?
3. What song is sung by Diana and Dr. Madden in Act 2, Scene 7?
4. What does Henry claim could potentially happen, which would be perfect, in Act 2, Scene 12?
5. Who arrives after Dan goes upstairs to bed in Act 2, Scene 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized in the song "Next to Normal" in the musical?
2. Why is Henry worried about Natalie in Act 2, Scene 3? Where does he ask her to go?
3. What song does Gabe sing in Act 2, Scene 5? What metaphor is used in the song?
4. What is the conclusion of Diana's and Dr. Madden's disagreement in Act 2, Scene 10?
5. What object does Gabe give Diana in Act 2, Scene 8? What song is sung?
6. What song is sung together by Natalie and Diana in Act 2, Scene 1? What does it reveal?
7. Where are Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1? Why is Natalie distraught?
8. What does Natalie confess in the song "Next to Normal" in Act 2, Scene 11?
9. What is revealed in the conversation between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 12?
10. Who arrives after Dan leaves in Act 2, Scene 5? What interaction takes place with Diana?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the structural elements of the play and its transitions. How are these transitions reflective of the themes of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sibling rivalry in the narrative. How is this theme manifested in the relationship between Gabe and Natalie?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the choices and motivations of Dan in the narrative. What decisions of Dan's have been questionable? Do you believe he has the best intentions for Diana? Why or why not?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)