|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 5, Gabe sings of the hole left in Diana's mind by what?
2. How old was Gabe when Diana recalls having rushed him to the hospital in Act 2, Scene 8?
3. Where are Natalie and Henry when they first appear in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. In Act 2, Scene 10, Diana musically asks Dr. Madden what urgent driving question?
5. In Act 2, Scene 9, Gabe appears, singing that he is "more than" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reaction does Diana have to returning home in Act 2, Scene 2? What song is sung?
2. What is revealed in the conversation between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 12?
3. What does Dan attempt to show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What makes Natalie almost leave?
4. What songs are sung by the ensemble in Act 2, Scene 9? What are the songs about?
5. What is symbolized in the song "Next to Normal" in the musical?
6. What object does Gabe give Diana in Act 2, Scene 8? What song is sung?
7. What is revealed about the character of Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. What ironic comment does Natalie make about her mother's treatment in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. Where are Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1? Why is Natalie distraught?
10. What song is sung together by Natalie and Diana in Act 2, Scene 1? What does it reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the structural elements of the play and its transitions. How are these transitions reflective of the themes of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the symbolic and metaphorical elements in Act 1, Scene 10. How does this scene illustrate the suicide attempt of the protagonist in a creative way?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of sibling rivalry in the narrative. How is this theme manifested in the relationship between Gabe and Natalie?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)