|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What overlapping ballad is sung by Natalie and Diana in Act 2, Scene 11?
2. What refers to a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance?
3. What word means to make (oneself or another) no longer opposed; cause to acquiesce in something unpleasant?
4. What refers to a ballroom dance in triple time in which couples spin around as they progress around the room?
5. What refers to the mental capacity or faculty of retaining and reviving facts, events, impressions, etc., or of recalling or recognizing previous experiences?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the role of Gabe in Next to Normal. With what characters does Gabe interact and what is symbolized through Gabe's character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sibling rivalry in the narrative. How is this theme manifested in the relationship between Gabe and Natalie?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of Act 1. What stylistic elements are in place in this climactic scene? What is pertinent about the reference to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)