|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a bouncy, fast pace in music?
2. What reprise is sung by Natalie and Henry in Act 2, Scene 12?
3. In Act 2, Scene 11, Diana meets Natalie, telling her that she's going to take Natalie where?
4. Where are Natalie and Henry when they first appear in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What color dress does Natalie wear to the dance in Act 2, Scene 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Natalie show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What effect does it have?
2. Why is Henry worried about Natalie in Act 2, Scene 3? Where does he ask her to go?
3. What does Dr. Madden relate about Diana's memory loss in Act 2, Scene 4?
4. What is symbolized in the song "Next to Normal" in the musical?
5. What interaction takes place between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 6?
6. What reaction does Diana have to returning home in Act 2, Scene 2? What song is sung?
7. Who arrives after Dan leaves in Act 2, Scene 5? What interaction takes place with Diana?
8. What does Dan attempt to show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What makes Natalie almost leave?
9. What ironic comment does Natalie make about her mother's treatment in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. What do Henry and Natalie witness between Diana and Dan in Act 2, Scene 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the musical elements, structure and terms in Act 1, Scene 1. How are the music and dialogue intercut and what effect does this have on the reader/audience?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the relationship of Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 2. What objective is each character seeking and why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the structural elements of the play and its transitions. How are these transitions reflective of the themes of the narrative?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)