|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 10, Diana musically asks Dr. Madden what urgent driving question?
2. In Act 2, Scene 5, Gabe sings of the hole left in Diana's mind by what?
3. What is defined as a musical composition for two voices or instruments?
4. What overlapping ballad is sung by Natalie and Diana in Act 2, Scene 11?
5. Where are Natalie and Henry when they first appear in Act 2, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the choices and motivations of Dan in the narrative. What decisions of Dan's have been questionable? Do you believe he has the best intentions for Diana? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Next to Normal. What are the time and place in which the action takes place? How is the setting evoked in the music?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the structural elements of the play and its transitions. How are these transitions reflective of the themes of the narrative?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)