|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quickly paced, urgent number is sung by Gabe in Act 2, Scene 5?
2. What song does Diana sing to Dr. Madden in Act 2, Scene 10?
3. In Act 2, Scene 6, an argument almost erupts between Henry and Natalie, but Henry defuses it by saying he'll come by when to take her to the dance?
4. In Act 2, Scene 10, Diana musically asks Dr. Madden what urgent driving question?
5. What theatrical term refers to the shutting off of stage lights?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Henry and Natalie witness between Diana and Dan in Act 2, Scene 8?
2. What does Natalie show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What effect does it have?
3. What question does Diana pose to Dr. Madden in Act 2, Scene 10? What is Madden's reply?
4. Who arrives after Dan leaves in Act 2, Scene 5? What interaction takes place with Diana?
5. What song does Gabe sing in Act 2, Scene 5? What metaphor is used in the song?
6. What reprise is sung by Diana in Act 2, Scene 7? What conversation takes place between Diana and Dr. Madden in this scene?
7. What is symbolized in the song "Next to Normal" in the musical?
8. How do the scenes flow between Act 2 Scenes 7 and 8? What does this represent symbolically?
9. What ironic comment does Natalie make about her mother's treatment in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. What does Diana reveal to Natalie in their brief scene in Act 2, Scene 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the choices and motivations of Dan in the narrative. What decisions of Dan's have been questionable? Do you believe he has the best intentions for Diana? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of Act 1. What stylistic elements are in place in this climactic scene? What is pertinent about the reference to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss use of drug treatment for bipolar disorder and the role that the drugs play in the musical. How does Diana feel when she is medicated?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)