|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to an instruction written into the script of a play, indicating stage actions, movements of performers, or production requirements?
2. What object appears along with Gabe in the ending of Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What does Henry want to take Natalie to in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. What reprise is sung by Natalie and Henry in Act 2, Scene 12?
5. What song is sung by Diana and Dr. Madden in Act 2, Scene 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed in the conversation between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 12?
2. What is the conclusion of Diana's and Dr. Madden's disagreement in Act 2, Scene 10?
3. Where are Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1? Why is Natalie distraught?
4. What does Dr. Madden relate about Diana's memory loss in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. What does Natalie confess in the song "Next to Normal" in Act 2, Scene 11?
6. What song is sung together by Natalie and Diana in Act 2, Scene 1? What does it reveal?
7. What ironic comment does Natalie make about her mother's treatment in Act 2, Scene 2?
8. What song does Gabe sing in Act 2, Scene 5? What metaphor is used in the song?
9. What object does Gabe give Diana in Act 2, Scene 8? What song is sung?
10. How do the scenes flow between Act 2 Scenes 7 and 8? What does this represent symbolically?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the role of Gabe in Next to Normal. With what characters does Gabe interact and what is symbolized through Gabe's character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Next to Normal. What are the time and place in which the action takes place? How is the setting evoked in the music?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss use of drug treatment for bipolar disorder and the role that the drugs play in the musical. How does Diana feel when she is medicated?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)