|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the original form of rock music, basically dependent on a consistently loud and strong beat?
2. What does Diana not remember having had in Act 2, Scene 7?
3. What theatrical term refers to the shutting off of stage lights?
4. What quickly paced, urgent number is sung by Gabe in Act 2, Scene 5?
5. What color dress does Natalie wear to the dance in Act 2, Scene 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Henry and Natalie witness between Diana and Dan in Act 2, Scene 8?
2. What does Diana reveal to Natalie in their brief scene in Act 2, Scene 11?
3. What interaction takes place between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 6?
4. What does Dr. Madden relate about Diana's memory loss in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. What does Natalie show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What effect does it have?
6. What songs are sung by the ensemble in Act 2, Scene 9? What are the songs about?
7. What ironic comment does Natalie make about her mother's treatment in Act 2, Scene 2?
8. What question does Diana pose to Dr. Madden in Act 2, Scene 10? What is Madden's reply?
9. What is symbolized in the song "Next to Normal" in the musical?
10. What is revealed about the character of Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship and correlations between Diana and Natalie in the opening of Act 2. How does this intercut scene reflect their similarities?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the symbolic and metaphorical elements in Act 1, Scene 10. How does this scene illustrate the suicide attempt of the protagonist in a creative way?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the musical elements, structure and terms in Act 1, Scene 1. How are the music and dialogue intercut and what effect does this have on the reader/audience?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)