|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diana reveal Gabe died from in Act 2, Scene 11?
2. What song do Natalie and Henry sing in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. What song is sung by Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 6?
4. What is Henry worried about regarding Natalie in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. What does Gabe hand to Diana in Act 2, Scene 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Diana reveal to Natalie in their brief scene in Act 2, Scene 11?
2. Who arrives after Dan leaves in Act 2, Scene 5? What interaction takes place with Diana?
3. Where are Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1? Why is Natalie distraught?
4. What ironic comment does Natalie make about her mother's treatment in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What reaction does Diana have to returning home in Act 2, Scene 2? What song is sung?
6. What is revealed about the character of Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. What does Natalie confess in the song "Next to Normal" in Act 2, Scene 11?
8. What is revealed in the conversation between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 12?
9. What song does Gabe sing in Act 2, Scene 5? What metaphor is used in the song?
10. What does Natalie show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What effect does it have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the role of Gabe in Next to Normal. With what characters does Gabe interact and what is symbolized through Gabe's character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the symbolic and metaphorical elements in Act 1, Scene 10. How does this scene illustrate the suicide attempt of the protagonist in a creative way?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the relationship of Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 2. What objective is each character seeking and why?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)