|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does Diana sing to Dr. Madden in Act 2, Scene 10?
2. What song is sung by Diana and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 9?
3. What refers to the original form of rock music, basically dependent on a consistently loud and strong beat?
4. When Henry says he'll be there for Natalie in Act 2, Scene 12, she protests, with increasing anger, that she might turn out to what?
5. Who does Dr. Madden reference, stopping the conversation cold between him and Diana in Act 2, Scene 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized in the song "Next to Normal" in the musical?
2. What does Diana reveal to Natalie in their brief scene in Act 2, Scene 11?
3. What question does Diana pose to Dr. Madden in Act 2, Scene 10? What is Madden's reply?
4. Who arrives after Dan leaves in Act 2, Scene 5? What interaction takes place with Diana?
5. What reaction does Diana have to returning home in Act 2, Scene 2? What song is sung?
6. What song is sung together by Natalie and Diana in Act 2, Scene 1? What does it reveal?
7. What does Dr. Madden relate about Diana's memory loss in Act 2, Scene 4?
8. What is revealed in the conversation between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 12?
9. What reprise is sung by Diana in Act 2, Scene 7? What conversation takes place between Diana and Dr. Madden in this scene?
10. What interaction takes place between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss use of drug treatment for bipolar disorder and the role that the drugs play in the musical. How does Diana feel when she is medicated?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the musical elements, structure and terms in Act 1, Scene 1. How are the music and dialogue intercut and what effect does this have on the reader/audience?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of the choral ensemble in Next to Normal. How does the chorus relate to choruses of the Classical Greek theater?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)