|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song is sung by Doctor Madden, Dan, Natalie and Diana in Act 2, Scene 4?
2. What song is sung by Diana and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 9?
3. What in musical theater refers to a musical number in which music, ideas and even some text are sung again some time after being sung the first time?
4. In Act 2, Scene 5, Gabe sings of the hole left in Diana's mind by what?
5. What refers to a conductor through which a current enters or leaves a nonmetallic medium, as an electrolytic cell, arc generator, vacuum tube, or gaseous discharge tube?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Madden relate about Diana's memory loss in Act 2, Scene 4?
2. What song is sung together by Natalie and Diana in Act 2, Scene 1? What does it reveal?
3. Why is Henry worried about Natalie in Act 2, Scene 3? Where does he ask her to go?
4. What ironic comment does Natalie make about her mother's treatment in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What interaction takes place between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 6?
6. What object does Gabe give Diana in Act 2, Scene 8? What song is sung?
7. What is symbolized in the song "Next to Normal" in the musical?
8. What does Natalie show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What effect does it have?
9. What reaction does Diana have to returning home in Act 2, Scene 2? What song is sung?
10. What songs are sung by the ensemble in Act 2, Scene 9? What are the songs about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the musical elements, structure and terms in Act 1, Scene 1. How are the music and dialogue intercut and what effect does this have on the reader/audience?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the song "Hey #2" and the role of reprise in the musical. What effect do reprises have on the reader/audience member?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of irony and symbolism in Act 1, Scene 8. How is reality explored through the character of Gabe?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)