|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a bouncy, fast pace in music?
2. How old was Gabe when Diana recalls having rushed him to the hospital in Act 2, Scene 8?
3. What song is sung by Doctor Madden, Dan, Natalie and Diana in Act 2, Scene 4?
4. What in musical theater refers to a musical number in which music, ideas and even some text are sung again some time after being sung the first time?
5. What slow ballad is sung by Diana and Dan in Act 2, Scene 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dan attempt to show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What makes Natalie almost leave?
2. What does Dr. Madden relate about Diana's memory loss in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What interaction takes place between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 6?
4. What reprise is sung by Diana in Act 2, Scene 7? What conversation takes place between Diana and Dr. Madden in this scene?
5. Why is Henry worried about Natalie in Act 2, Scene 3? Where does he ask her to go?
6. What object does Gabe give Diana in Act 2, Scene 8? What song is sung?
7. What reaction does Diana have to returning home in Act 2, Scene 2? What song is sung?
8. What is revealed about the character of Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. What song is sung together by Natalie and Diana in Act 2, Scene 1? What does it reveal?
10. What question does Diana pose to Dr. Madden in Act 2, Scene 10? What is Madden's reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of the choral ensemble in Next to Normal. How does the chorus relate to choruses of the Classical Greek theater?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the structural elements of the play and its transitions. How are these transitions reflective of the themes of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Henry in the narrative and the motif of drug use. How does Henry's character differ from the characters of the Goodman family?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)