|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 10, Diana musically asks Dr. Madden what urgent driving question?
2. What song is sung by Henry and Dan in Act 2, Scene 9?
3. In Act 2, Scene 6, an argument almost erupts between Henry and Natalie, but Henry defuses it by saying he'll come by when to take her to the dance?
4. What object appears along with Gabe in the ending of Act 2, Scene 4?
5. In a reprise of what song in Act 2, Scene 10 do Diana and Gabe both resist the idea of more talk and electroshock therapy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions does Diana bombard Dan with in Act 2, Scene 8? What is his response?
2. What reprise is sung by Diana in Act 2, Scene 7? What conversation takes place between Diana and Dr. Madden in this scene?
3. What is the conclusion of Diana's and Dr. Madden's disagreement in Act 2, Scene 10?
4. What is revealed in the conversation between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 12?
5. What song is sung together by Natalie and Diana in Act 2, Scene 1? What does it reveal?
6. Why is Henry worried about Natalie in Act 2, Scene 3? Where does he ask her to go?
7. What does Natalie confess in the song "Next to Normal" in Act 2, Scene 11?
8. What does Diana reveal to Natalie in their brief scene in Act 2, Scene 11?
9. What ironic comment does Natalie make about her mother's treatment in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. Where are Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1? Why is Natalie distraught?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effects of double-casting in dramatic works. What effect does having Dr. Madden and Dr. Fine played by one actor create in the audience? Are other roles in the play double-cast?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the symbolic and metaphorical elements in Act 1, Scene 10. How does this scene illustrate the suicide attempt of the protagonist in a creative way?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the role of Gabe in Next to Normal. With what characters does Gabe interact and what is symbolized through Gabe's character?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)