|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Natalie as Diana's body is taken into the treatment room in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, Natalie comments ironically on how good the treatment is - her mother's mind is "so pure / that she doesn't _____."
3. What is defined as a musical composition for two voices or instruments?
4. What refers to a division of a play or of an act of a play, usually representing what passes between certain of the actors in one place?
5. What song do Natalie and Henry sing in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives after Dan leaves in Act 2, Scene 5? What interaction takes place with Diana?
2. What questions does Diana bombard Dan with in Act 2, Scene 8? What is his response?
3. What object does Gabe give Diana in Act 2, Scene 8? What song is sung?
4. What does Diana reveal to Natalie in their brief scene in Act 2, Scene 11?
5. What is symbolized in the song "Next to Normal" in the musical?
6. How do the scenes flow between Act 2 Scenes 7 and 8? What does this represent symbolically?
7. What does Natalie confess in the song "Next to Normal" in Act 2, Scene 11?
8. What song is sung together by Natalie and Diana in Act 2, Scene 1? What does it reveal?
9. What does Natalie show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What effect does it have?
10. What song does Gabe sing in Act 2, Scene 5? What metaphor is used in the song?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss use of drug treatment for bipolar disorder and the role that the drugs play in the musical. How does Diana feel when she is medicated?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the musical elements, structure and terms in Act 1, Scene 1. How are the music and dialogue intercut and what effect does this have on the reader/audience?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of double-casting in dramatic works. What effect does having Dr. Madden and Dr. Fine played by one actor create in the audience? Are other roles in the play double-cast?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)