|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What in musical theater refers to a musical number in which music, ideas and even some text are sung again some time after being sung the first time?
2. What does Dan take from Diana and break in Act 2, Scene 8?
3. What refers to a bouncy, fast pace in music?
4. What refers to a conductor through which a current enters or leaves a nonmetallic medium, as an electrolytic cell, arc generator, vacuum tube, or gaseous discharge tube?
5. How long is Diana's treatment set to last in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Natalie show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What effect does it have?
2. Why is Henry worried about Natalie in Act 2, Scene 3? Where does he ask her to go?
3. What is revealed about the character of Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What interaction takes place between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 6?
5. What question does Diana pose to Dr. Madden in Act 2, Scene 10? What is Madden's reply?
6. What reprise is sung by Diana in Act 2, Scene 7? What conversation takes place between Diana and Dr. Madden in this scene?
7. What does Diana reveal to Natalie in their brief scene in Act 2, Scene 11?
8. What do Henry and Natalie witness between Diana and Dan in Act 2, Scene 8?
9. Where are Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1? Why is Natalie distraught?
10. What songs are sung by the ensemble in Act 2, Scene 9? What are the songs about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the structural elements of the play and its transitions. How are these transitions reflective of the themes of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the symbolic and metaphorical elements in Act 1, Scene 10. How does this scene illustrate the suicide attempt of the protagonist in a creative way?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Henry in the narrative and the motif of drug use. How does Henry's character differ from the characters of the Goodman family?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)