|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 6, an argument almost erupts between Henry and Natalie, but Henry defuses it by saying he'll come by when to take her to the dance?
2. What refers to a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance?
3. What reprise is sung by Natalie and Henry in Act 2, Scene 12?
4. What does Gabe hand to Diana in Act 2, Scene 8?
5. What theatrical term refers to the shutting off of stage lights?
Short Essay Questions
1. What song does Gabe sing in Act 2, Scene 5? What metaphor is used in the song?
2. How do the scenes flow between Act 2 Scenes 7 and 8? What does this represent symbolically?
3. Where are Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1? Why is Natalie distraught?
4. Who arrives after Dan leaves in Act 2, Scene 5? What interaction takes place with Diana?
5. What does Diana reveal to Natalie in their brief scene in Act 2, Scene 11?
6. What question does Diana pose to Dr. Madden in Act 2, Scene 10? What is Madden's reply?
7. What is revealed about the character of Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. What interaction takes place between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 6?
9. What questions does Diana bombard Dan with in Act 2, Scene 8? What is his response?
10. What ironic comment does Natalie make about her mother's treatment in Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss use of drug treatment for bipolar disorder and the role that the drugs play in the musical. How does Diana feel when she is medicated?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the song "Hey #2" and the role of reprise in the musical. What effect do reprises have on the reader/audience member?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Natalie in the narrative. How old is Natalie? What characteristics does she embody? With what characters is she closest?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)