|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pursues Dan in exiting Act 2, Scene 9?
2. What reprise is sung by Natalie and Henry in Act 2, Scene 12?
3. What song is sung by Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 6?
4. What does Henry claim could potentially happen, which would be perfect, in Act 2, Scene 12?
5. Natalie confesses in Act 2, Scene 11 that she once wished what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives after Dan leaves in Act 2, Scene 5? What interaction takes place with Diana?
2. What is the conclusion of Diana's and Dr. Madden's disagreement in Act 2, Scene 10?
3. What song is sung together by Natalie and Diana in Act 2, Scene 1? What does it reveal?
4. How do the scenes flow between Act 2 Scenes 7 and 8? What does this represent symbolically?
5. What does Natalie confess in the song "Next to Normal" in Act 2, Scene 11?
6. What does Dan attempt to show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What makes Natalie almost leave?
7. What does Dr. Madden relate about Diana's memory loss in Act 2, Scene 4?
8. What is revealed about the character of Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. What do Henry and Natalie witness between Diana and Dan in Act 2, Scene 8?
10. What song does Gabe sing in Act 2, Scene 5? What metaphor is used in the song?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Next to Normal. What are the time and place in which the action takes place? How is the setting evoked in the music?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sibling rivalry in the narrative. How is this theme manifested in the relationship between Gabe and Natalie?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the musical elements, structure and terms in Act 1, Scene 1. How are the music and dialogue intercut and what effect does this have on the reader/audience?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)