Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to instructions written into the script of a play, indicating stage actions, movements of performers, or production requirements?
2. What is the name of the protagonist's son who died in the musical?
3. What word means to compose and perform or deliver without previous preparation; extemporize?
4. What is the name of the protagonist's daughter in Next to Normal?
5. What was the name of the previous musical to win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama before Next to Normal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dan attempt to show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What makes Natalie almost leave?
2. What does Dr. Madden relate about Diana's memory loss in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
4. What does Natalie show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What effect does it have?
5. What is symbolized in the song "Next to Normal" in the musical?
6. What is the subject and style of the song "Superboy and the Invisible Girl"? Who sings it?
7. What is the conclusion of Diana's and Dr. Madden's disagreement in Act 2, Scene 10?
8. What does Dr. Madden suggest to Diana in Act 1, Scene 10? Where does she go after she leaves his office?
9. Why is Henry worried about Natalie in Act 2, Scene 3? Where does he ask her to go?
10. What ironic comment does Natalie make about her mother's treatment in Act 2, Scene 2?
Discuss the theme of sibling rivalry in the narrative. How is this theme manifested in the relationship between Gabe and Natalie?
Analyze and discuss the song "Hey #2" and the role of reprise in the musical. What effect do reprises have on the reader/audience member?
Describe and analyze the characters of Dan and Dr. Fine in the musical. What is the objective of each of these characters and how do they go about attaining those objectives?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)