|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the intentional taking of one's own life?
2. What song does Dan sing as he tidies up in Act 1, Scene 11?
3. Where does Henry visit Natalie in Act 1, Scene 9?
4. Dan reminds Diana that Gabe has been dead for how long in Act 1, Scene 5?
5. What refers to anything, as an act or event, that serves as a stimulus and initiates or precipitates a reaction or series of reactions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What song does Dan sing to Diana about their son in Act 1, Scene 5? What does the song reveal?
2. What is symbolized in the song "Next to Normal" in the musical?
3. What new doctor does Diana see in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed about her medical history?
4. What songs are sung by the ensemble in Act 2, Scene 9? What are the songs about?
5. What does Dr. Madden relate about Diana's memory loss in Act 2, Scene 4?
6. What takes place at the family dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
7. What does Natalie discover in Act 2, Scene 14? What song is sung?
8. What do Henry and Natalie witness between Diana and Dan in Act 2, Scene 8?
9. What is the conclusion of Diana's and Dr. Madden's disagreement in Act 2, Scene 10?
10. What does Natalie confess in the song "Next to Normal" in Act 2, Scene 11?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Natalie in the narrative. How old is Natalie? What characteristics does she embody? With what characters is she closest?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the role of the choral ensemble in Next to Normal. How does the chorus relate to choruses of the Classical Greek theater?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the structural elements of the play and its transitions. How are these transitions reflective of the themes of the narrative?
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)