|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the protagonist's daughter in Next to Normal?
2. What word means lying asleep or as if asleep; inactive, as in sleep; torpid?
3. What refers to the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning?
4. What song does Gabe sing in Act 1, Scene 8?
5. What song does Dan sing accompanied with the Voices in Act 1, Scene 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the song "I'm Alive" relate to in Act 1, Scene 8?
2. Describe the structural elements which stand out in the first scenes of Act 1. How is musical improvisation used as a literary technique?
3. How is the Goodman family portrayed in the first scenes of Act 1?
4. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
5. What does Gabe sing with Natalie about in Act 1, Scene 7?
6. What is the subject and style of the song "Superboy and the Invisible Girl"? Who sings it?
7. What song does Dan sing to Diana about their son in Act 1, Scene 5? What does the song reveal?
8. What new doctor does Diana see in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed about her medical history?
9. Describe the symbolic and metaphoric elements in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11. What object becomes important in these scenes and why?
10. What takes place at the family dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sibling rivalry in the narrative. How is this theme manifested in the relationship between Gabe and Natalie?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of memory in the play. How do each of the characters react to Diana's memory loss?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Natalie in the narrative. How old is Natalie? What characteristics does she embody? With what characters is she closest?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)