|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, music plays a classical sounding piano part with some light orchestral accompaniment in the style of what composer?
2. What refers to the science dealing with the preparation, uses, and especially the effects of drugs?
3. What song does Henry sing to Natalie in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. What refers to a type of affective disorder characterized by euphoric mood, excessive activity and talkativeness, impaired judgment, and sometimes psychotic symptoms, as grandiose delusions?
5. Who appears and sings along with Dan using no words in Act 1, Scene 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the character of Gabe in Act 1, Scenes 4 and 5?
2. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
3. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
4. What is the subject and style of the song "Superboy and the Invisible Girl"? Who sings it?
5. What irony can be seen by the reader or audience member in the character of Gabe?
6. What music opens Act 1, Scene 2? What does Natalie sing about in this song?
7. Describe the central themes in Next to Normal. What does the story of the play revolve around?
8. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
9. What does Dr. Madden suggest to Diana in Act 1, Scene 10? Where does she go after she leaves his office?
10. What song does Dan sing to Diana about their son in Act 1, Scene 5? What does the song reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship and correlations between Diana and Natalie in the opening of Act 2. How does this intercut scene reflect their similarities?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the structural elements of the play and its transitions. How are these transitions reflective of the themes of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the role of Gabe in Next to Normal. With what characters does Gabe interact and what is symbolized through Gabe's character?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)