|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doctor does Diana go to see in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What refers to a type of affective disorder characterized by euphoric mood, excessive activity and talkativeness, impaired judgment, and sometimes psychotic symptoms, as grandiose delusions?
3. What emotional ballad does Dan sing to Diana in Act 1, Scene 11?
4. Next to Normal closed on Broadway after how many regular performances?
5. What song does Diana, Natalie and Gabe sing in Act 1, Scene 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Henry and Natalie doing in Act 1, Scene 4? Who watches them?
2. Describe the symbolic and metaphoric elements in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11. What object becomes important in these scenes and why?
3. How does Gabe's character stand apart from the others in Act 1, Scene 9?
4. What song does Dan sing to Diana about their son in Act 1, Scene 5? What does the song reveal?
5. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
6. What do the members of the Goodman family sing about in the song "Just Another Day" in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. What irony can be seen by the reader or audience member in the character of Gabe?
8. What new doctor does Diana see in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed about her medical history?
9. What triggers Diana's memory flashback in Act 1, Scene 4? What is the memory of?
10. What does Gabe sing with Natalie about in Act 1, Scene 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the characters of Dan and Dr. Fine in the musical. What is the objective of each of these characters and how do they go about attaining those objectives?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Next to Normal. What are the time and place in which the action takes place? How is the setting evoked in the music?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship and correlations between Diana and Natalie in the opening of Act 2. How does this intercut scene reflect their similarities?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)