|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does Dan sing in reply to Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 6?
2. What does Diana do while stating "I miss my life" in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What controversial treatment does Dr. Madden suggest for Diana in Act 1, Scene 10?
4. Who is the protagonist of Next to Normal?
5. What song does Diana, Natalie and Gabe sing in Act 1, Scene 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dan attempt to show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What makes Natalie almost leave?
2. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
3. What does Diana reveal to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6? What song does she sing in this scene?
4. What ironic comment does Natalie make about her mother's treatment in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What object does Gabe give Diana in Act 2, Scene 8? What song is sung?
6. How do the scenes flow between Act 2 Scenes 7 and 8? What does this represent symbolically?
7. What conversation does Dan have with Dr. Madden in Act 2, Scene 14?
8. What takes place at the family dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
9. What do the members of the Goodman family sing about in the song "Just Another Day" in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. What is revealed in the conversation between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 12?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the characters of Dan and Dr. Fine in the musical. What is the objective of each of these characters and how do they go about attaining those objectives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of Act 1. What stylistic elements are in place in this climactic scene? What is pertinent about the reference to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the song "Hey #2" and the role of reprise in the musical. What effect do reprises have on the reader/audience member?
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)