|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what mental illness does the protagonist of Next to Normal suffer?
2. Dan reminds Diana that Gabe has been dead for how long in Act 1, Scene 5?
3. What word means lying asleep or as if asleep; inactive, as in sleep; torpid?
4. Diana reveals what to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6?
5. Who invites Henry to dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
2. How is the Goodman family portrayed in the first scenes of Act 1?
3. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
4. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
5. What irony can be seen by the reader or audience member in the character of Gabe?
6. What does Dan sing about in the song "It's Gonna Be Good"? Where is he?
7. What are Henry and Natalie doing in Act 1, Scene 4? Who watches them?
8. What music opens Act 1, Scene 2? What does Natalie sing about in this song?
9. Describe the central themes in Next to Normal. What does the story of the play revolve around?
10. What is the subject and style of the song "Superboy and the Invisible Girl"? Who sings it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of irony and symbolism in Act 1, Scene 8. How is reality explored through the character of Gabe?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the song "Hey #2" and the role of reprise in the musical. What effect do reprises have on the reader/audience member?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of Act 1. What stylistic elements are in place in this climactic scene? What is pertinent about the reference to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)