|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diana enter with after dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
2. Who vents her anger at being the child always disregarded in favor of her parents' concern about her brother in Act 1, Scene 7?
3. Where does Henry visit Natalie in Act 1, Scene 9?
4. Who played the character of Dan in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
5. Who takes some of Diana's medication in Act 1, Scene 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place at the family dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
2. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
3. What music opens Act 1, Scene 2? What does Natalie sing about in this song?
4. What is the subject and style of the song "Superboy and the Invisible Girl"? Who sings it?
5. What does Dan sing about in the song "It's Gonna Be Good"? Where is he?
6. What irony can be seen by the reader or audience member in the character of Gabe?
7. How is Gabe different as a character from the others in Act 1, Scenes 1-3?
8. Describe the central themes in Next to Normal. What does the story of the play revolve around?
9. What is revealed about the character of Gabe in Act 1, Scenes 4 and 5?
10. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Next to Normal. What are the time and place in which the action takes place? How is the setting evoked in the music?
Essay Topic 2
Define the element of conflict in dramatic literature and discuss the conflicts between the characters in the play. What central conflict exists between Diana and Dan?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of the choral ensemble in Next to Normal. How does the chorus relate to choruses of the Classical Greek theater?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)