|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does Dan sing in reply to Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 6?
2. Who claims that he sits behind Natalie in several classes and knows her schedule in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Who played the character of Gabe in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
4. What song does Dan sing accompanied with the Voices in Act 1, Scene 5?
5. Who played the character of Henry in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the character of Gabe in Act 1, Scenes 4 and 5?
2. What does the song "I'm Alive" relate to in Act 1, Scene 8?
3. How is the Goodman family portrayed in the first scenes of Act 1?
4. Describe the central themes in Next to Normal. What does the story of the play revolve around?
5. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
6. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
7. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
8. What is sung about and by whom in the songs "Who's Crazy" / "My Psychopharmacologist and I"?
9. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
10. What song does Dan sing to Diana about their son in Act 1, Scene 5? What does the song reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the musical elements, structure and terms in Act 1, Scene 1. How are the music and dialogue intercut and what effect does this have on the reader/audience?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the song "Hey #2" and the role of reprise in the musical. What effect do reprises have on the reader/audience member?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of the choral ensemble in Next to Normal. How does the chorus relate to choruses of the Classical Greek theater?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)