|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears to ask Dan why he didn't take her to the hospital in Act 1, Scene 11?
2. What was the name of the previous musical to win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama before Next to Normal?
3. Who played the character of Gabe in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
4. In what year was Next to Normal nominated for eleven Tony Awards?
5. What refers to a substance in its carbonate or citrate form used in the treatment or prophylaxis of bipolar disorder or mania?
Short Essay Questions
1. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
2. What does Dr. Madden suggest to Diana in Act 1, Scene 10? Where does she go after she leaves his office?
3. What are Henry and Natalie doing in Act 1, Scene 4? Who watches them?
4. What does Dan sing about in the song "It's Gonna Be Good"? Where is he?
5. Describe the structural elements which stand out in the first scenes of Act 1. How is musical improvisation used as a literary technique?
6. Describe the symbolic and metaphoric elements in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11. What object becomes important in these scenes and why?
7. What song is performed by Diana and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 10? What does Gabe encourage Diana to do?
8. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
9. How is the Goodman family portrayed in the first scenes of Act 1?
10. What is the subject and style of the song "Superboy and the Invisible Girl"? Who sings it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Henry in the narrative and the motif of drug use. How does Henry's character differ from the characters of the Goodman family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the choices and motivations of Dan in the narrative. What decisions of Dan's have been questionable? Do you believe he has the best intentions for Diana? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of double-casting in dramatic works. What effect does having Dr. Madden and Dr. Fine played by one actor create in the audience? Are other roles in the play double-cast?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)