|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what song does the line "things aren't as bizarre as they are" come in Next to Normal?
2. What is Gabe wearing when he appears in Act 1, Scene 10?
3. In Act 1, Scene 11, Dr. Madden tries to convince Diana to try the controversial therapy while who attempts to convince her not to try it?
4. What is the name of the song in Act 1, Scene 1 in which the main characters each sing about their morning?
5. Diana reveals what to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
2. How is the music used in expressing the inner thoughts of the characters in Act 1?
3. What new doctor does Diana see in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed about her medical history?
4. How does Gabe's character stand apart from the others in Act 1, Scene 9?
5. How is the Goodman family portrayed in the first scenes of Act 1?
6. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
7. What irony can be seen by the reader or audience member in the character of Gabe?
8. What does Dr. Madden reveal after Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 10? What treatment does he suggest?
9. What is sung about and by whom in the songs "Who's Crazy" / "My Psychopharmacologist and I"?
10. Describe the structural elements which stand out in the first scenes of Act 1. How is musical improvisation used as a literary technique?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the characters of Dan and Dr. Fine in the musical. What is the objective of each of these characters and how do they go about attaining those objectives?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Natalie in the narrative. How old is Natalie? What characteristics does she embody? With what characters is she closest?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss use of drug treatment for bipolar disorder and the role that the drugs play in the musical. How does Diana feel when she is medicated?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)