|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Tony Awards did Next to Normal win the year it was nominated for eleven awards?
2. Who appears to ask Dan why he didn't take her to the hospital in Act 1, Scene 11?
3. When Natalie is informed of the controversial therapy being used on her mother in Act 1, Scene 11, she reacts with anger, accusing Dan of what?
4. How old is the protagonist's daughter in Next to Normal?
5. From what song does the line "things aren't as bizarre as they are" come in Next to Normal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject and style of the song "Superboy and the Invisible Girl"? Who sings it?
2. How is the Goodman family portrayed in the first scenes of Act 1?
3. What song does Dan sing to Diana about their son in Act 1, Scene 5? What does the song reveal?
4. What does the song "I'm Alive" relate to in Act 1, Scene 8?
5. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
6. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
7. Describe the symbolic and metaphoric elements in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11. What object becomes important in these scenes and why?
8. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
9. What irony can be seen by the reader or audience member in the character of Gabe?
10. What does Dr. Madden reveal after Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 10? What treatment does he suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Henry in the narrative and the motif of drug use. How does Henry's character differ from the characters of the Goodman family?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the structural elements of the play and its transitions. How are these transitions reflective of the themes of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Define the element of conflict in dramatic literature and discuss the conflicts between the characters in the play. What central conflict exists between Diana and Dan?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)