|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning?
2. What word (in a dramatic or literary work) refers to a decisive moment that is of maximum intensity or is a major turning point in a plot?
3. What word means lying asleep or as if asleep; inactive, as in sleep; torpid?
4. What is the name of the song in Act 1, Scene 1 in which the main characters each sing about their morning?
(a) "Who's Crazy".
(b) "Just Another Day".
(c) "Everything Else".
(d) "Perfect for You".
5. What does Diana do while stating "I miss my life" in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Attempts to hang herself.
(b) Flushes her medicine down the toilet.
(c) Calls her daughter's cell phone.
(d) Overdoses on pills.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Diana say she couldn't hold when she was born in Act 1, Scene 9?
2. What hard driving rock tune does Diana sing in Act 1, Scene 6?
3. In Act 1, Scene 7, Gabe appears and sings with Natalie about "the son of steel and the daughter of" what?
4. Who claims that he sits behind Natalie in several classes and knows her schedule in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Who played the character of Gabe in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gabe's character stand apart from the others in Act 1, Scene 9?
2. Describe the central themes in Next to Normal. What does the story of the play revolve around?
3. What is revealed about the character of Gabe in Act 1, Scenes 4 and 5?
4. What does the song "I'm Alive" relate to in Act 1, Scene 8?
5. What does Diana reveal to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6? What song does she sing in this scene?
6. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
7. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
8. What does Gabe sing with Natalie about in Act 1, Scene 7?
9. What song is performed by Diana and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 10? What does Gabe encourage Diana to do?
10. What triggers Diana's memory flashback in Act 1, Scene 4? What is the memory of?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)