|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lightly textured waltz tune does Diana sing in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) "How Could I Ever Forget".
(b) "Didn't I See This Movie".
(c) "Song of Forgetting".
(d) "I Dreamed a Dance".
2. Diana reveals what to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) She misses her son.
(b) She tried to overdose on her pills.
(c) She's stopped taking her medications.
(d) She hates her doctor.
3. What word means to compose and perform or deliver without previous preparation; extemporize?
4. What refers to the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning?
5. What was the name of the previous musical to win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama before Next to Normal?
(b) Dinner with Friends.
(d) Anna in the Tropics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What multi-voiced, rock-textured ensemble number is sung by Diana, Gabe and others in Act 1, Scene 9?
2. Who appears and sings along with Dan using no words in Act 1, Scene 11?
3. When did Next to Normal close on Broadway?
4. Who played the character of Dr. Fine/Dr. Madden in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
5. Who comments that Dan doesn't truly care about what happened to him or about what is happening to Diana in Act 1, Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Natalie discover in Act 2, Scene 14? What song is sung?
2. Describe the structural elements which stand out in the first scenes of Act 1. How is musical improvisation used as a literary technique?
3. How is Gabe different as a character from the others in Act 1, Scenes 1-3?
4. What is revealed in the conversation between Henry and Natalie in Act 2, Scene 12?
5. What ironic comment does Natalie make about her mother's treatment in Act 2, Scene 2?
6. What new doctor does Diana see in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed about her medical history?
7. What does Dr. Madden relate about Diana's memory loss in Act 2, Scene 4?
8. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
9. What is revealed about the character of Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. What does Diana reveal to Natalie in their brief scene in Act 2, Scene 11?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)