|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Diana comment was as "high-spirited" as she is when speaking with her new doctor in Act 1, Scene 8?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her father.
2. Approximately how old was Gabe when he died?
3. What song does Diana's doctor sing in Act 1, Scene 9?
(a) "Make up your Mind".
(b) "Better Than Before".
(c) "It's Gonna Be Good".
(d) "He's Not Here".
4. When did Next to Normal close on Broadway?
(a) June 11, 2010.
(b) March 24, 2009.
(c) January 16, 2011.
(d) September 4, 2008.
5. Who played the character of Henry in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
(a) J. Robert Spencer.
(b) Preston K. Sadleir.
(c) Adam Chanler-Berat.
(d) Aaron Tveit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that what Diana is doing is a good idea and that she is brave in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. Who appears and sings along with Dan using no words in Act 1, Scene 11?
3. Who is the protagonist of Next to Normal?
4. What does Diana make a huge pile of before collapsing on the floor in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What object is a particular trigger for Diana of memories of Gabe in the narrative?
Short Essay Questions
1. What song is performed by Diana and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 10? What does Gabe encourage Diana to do?
2. What do the members of the Goodman family sing about in the song "Just Another Day" in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
4. What is sung about and by whom in the songs "Who's Crazy" / "My Psychopharmacologist and I"?
5. What does Dr. Madden reveal after Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 10? What treatment does he suggest?
6. What does Dr. Madden suggest to Diana in Act 1, Scene 10? Where does she go after she leaves his office?
7. Describe the central themes in Next to Normal. What does the story of the play revolve around?
8. How does Gabe's character stand apart from the others in Act 1, Scene 9?
9. What triggers Diana's memory flashback in Act 1, Scene 4? What is the memory of?
10. What takes place at the family dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)