|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gabe eventually influence Diana to say in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) "I'll die to dance with..."
(b) "Death, release me."
(c) "I miss my son."
(d) "I will get better."
2. What emotional ballad does Dan sing to Diana in Act 1, Scene 11?
(a) "I'm Alive".
(b) "A Light in the Dark".
(c) "It's Gonna Be Good".
(d) "Hey #2".
3. What lightly textured waltz tune does Diana sing in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) "I Dreamed a Dance".
(b) "Didn't I See This Movie".
(c) "How Could I Ever Forget".
(d) "Song of Forgetting".
4. In Act 1, Scene 5, Dan sings at work that things have been good at home for what period of time?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 4 days.
5. How many Tony Awards did Next to Normal win the year it was nominated for eleven awards?
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does Dan sing in reply to Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 6?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, music plays a classical sounding piano part with some light orchestral accompaniment in the style of what composer?
3. What object is a particular trigger for Diana of memories of Gabe in the narrative?
4. Who played the character of Henry in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
5. Who is the protagonist of Next to Normal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Madden reveal after Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 10? What treatment does he suggest?
2. How is the music used in expressing the inner thoughts of the characters in Act 1?
3. Describe the structural elements which stand out in the first scenes of Act 1. How is musical improvisation used as a literary technique?
4. What triggers Diana's memory flashback in Act 1, Scene 4? What is the memory of?
5. How does Gabe's character stand apart from the others in Act 1, Scene 9?
6. What is revealed about the character of Gabe in Act 1, Scenes 4 and 5?
7. Describe the symbolic and metaphoric elements in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11. What object becomes important in these scenes and why?
8. What do the members of the Goodman family sing about in the song "Just Another Day" in Act 1, Scene 1?
9. How is Gabe different as a character from the others in Act 1, Scenes 1-3?
10. What does Diana reveal to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6? What song does she sing in this scene?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)