|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the song sung by Natalie in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) "I Dreamed a Dance".
(b) "Everything Else".
(c) "I'm Alive".
(d) "Just Another Day".
2. What doctor does Diana go to see in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Dr. Anderson.
(b) Dr. Shwartz.
(c) Dr. Fine.
(d) Dr. Thomas.
3. Who played the character of Henry in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
(a) Preston K. Sadleir.
(b) Adam Chanler-Berat.
(c) Aaron Tveit.
(d) J. Robert Spencer.
4. What song does Dan sing as he tidies up in Act 1, Scene 11?
(a) "I've Been".
(b) "I Dreamed a Dance".
(c) "I Miss the Mountains".
(d) "I Am the One".
5. What does Dan bring Diana a box of in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) Gabe's things.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A puppy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 11, Dr. Madden tries to convince Diana to try the controversial therapy while who attempts to convince her not to try it?
2. What object is a particular trigger for Diana of memories of Gabe in the narrative?
3. Who is the protagonist of Next to Normal?
4. In the ending of Act 1, Scene 11, Gabe appears and watches as Diana gives what to Dr. Madden?
5. Diana reveals what to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gabe sing with Natalie about in Act 1, Scene 7?
2. Describe the symbolic and metaphoric elements in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11. What object becomes important in these scenes and why?
3. What does Dr. Madden reveal after Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 10? What treatment does he suggest?
4. Describe the structural elements which stand out in the first scenes of Act 1. How is musical improvisation used as a literary technique?
5. What song does Dan sing to Diana about their son in Act 1, Scene 5? What does the song reveal?
6. What does Dan sing about in the song "It's Gonna Be Good"? Where is he?
7. What does Dr. Madden suggest to Diana in Act 1, Scene 10? Where does she go after she leaves his office?
8. What music opens Act 1, Scene 2? What does Natalie sing about in this song?
9. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
10. What takes place at the family dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)