|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Henry visit Natalie in Act 1, Scene 9?
(a) At a shopping mall.
(b) At a park.
(c) In an internet cafe.
(d) Backstage at a concert.
2. What song does Diana, Natalie and Gabe sing in Act 1, Scene 7?
(a) "Perfect for You".
(b) "You Don't Know".
(c) "Song of Forgetting".
(d) "Superboy and the Invisible Girl".
3. In what year was Next to Normal nominated for eleven Tony Awards?
4. What song does Dan sing as he tidies up in Act 1, Scene 11?
(a) "I Am the One".
(b) "I Dreamed a Dance".
(c) "I Miss the Mountains".
(d) "I've Been".
5. What multi-voiced, rock-textured ensemble number is sung by Diana, Gabe and others in Act 1, Scene 9?
(a) "I'm Alive".
(b) "Catch Me I'm Falling".
(c) "He's Not Here".
(d) "Perfect for You".
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 5, Dan sings at work that things have been good at home for what period of time?
2. Gabe's song in Act 1, Scene 8 is intercut with dialogue between Dan and whom?
3. What is the name of the song in Act 1, Scene 1 in which the main characters each sing about their morning?
4. What song does Diana sing about her longing for feeling in Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What was the name of the previous musical to win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama before Next to Normal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
2. How is the Goodman family portrayed in the first scenes of Act 1?
3. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
4. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
5. What does Gabe sing with Natalie about in Act 1, Scene 7?
6. What does Dr. Madden reveal after Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 10? What treatment does he suggest?
7. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
8. How does Gabe's character stand apart from the others in Act 1, Scene 9?
9. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
10. What does Dr. Madden suggest to Diana in Act 1, Scene 10? Where does she go after she leaves his office?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)