|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Act 1, Scene 4 flashes back to Dan's proposal, which was prompted by the news that Diana was what?
2. When Natalie is informed of the controversial therapy being used on her mother in Act 1, Scene 11, she reacts with anger, accusing Dan of what?
(a) Putting her through hell.
(b) Betraying Diana's trust.
(c) Wanting to rid himself of Diana.
(d) Being selfish.
3. What song does Dan sing accompanied with the Voices in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) "It's Gonna Be Good".
(b) "There's a World".
(c) "So Anyway".
(d) "Better Than Before".
4. How many Tony Awards did Next to Normal win the year it was nominated for eleven awards?
5. Who appears and sings along with Dan using no words in Act 1, Scene 11?
(d) Dr. Fine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the song in Act 1, Scene 1 in which the main characters each sing about their morning?
2. What object is a particular trigger for Diana of memories of Gabe in the narrative?
3. Dan reminds Diana that Gabe has been dead for how long in Act 1, Scene 5?
4. Who is Diana's pharmacologist in Act 1, Scene 6?
5. In Act 1, Scene 7, Gabe appears and sings with Natalie about "the son of steel and the daughter of" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the character of Gabe in Act 1, Scenes 4 and 5?
2. What are Henry and Natalie doing in Act 1, Scene 4? Who watches them?
3. What is the subject and style of the song "Superboy and the Invisible Girl"? Who sings it?
4. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
5. What music opens Act 1, Scene 2? What does Natalie sing about in this song?
6. What does Dr. Madden suggest to Diana in Act 1, Scene 10? Where does she go after she leaves his office?
7. What takes place at the family dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
8. What irony can be seen by the reader or audience member in the character of Gabe?
9. What do the members of the Goodman family sing about in the song "Just Another Day" in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. How is Gabe different as a character from the others in Act 1, Scenes 1-3?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)