|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form of treatment does Diana's doctor begin in the ending of Act 1, Scene 8?
(a) Brain surgery.
(c) Shock therapy.
(d) Water therapy.
2. Who takes some of Diana's medication in Act 1, Scene 8?
3. When did Next to Normal close on Broadway?
(a) June 11, 2010.
(b) March 24, 2009.
(c) September 4, 2008.
(d) January 16, 2011.
4. What drug does Henry give to Natalie in Act 1, Scene 7?
5. What word means lying asleep or as if asleep; inactive, as in sleep; torpid?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the music for Next to Normal?
2. What multi-voiced, rock-textured ensemble number is sung by Diana, Gabe and others in Act 1, Scene 9?
3. From what mental illness does the protagonist of Next to Normal suffer?
4. What object is a particular trigger for Diana of memories of Gabe in the narrative?
5. Who appears to ask Dan why he didn't take her to the hospital in Act 1, Scene 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Madden reveal after Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 10? What treatment does he suggest?
2. How is Gabe different as a character from the others in Act 1, Scenes 1-3?
3. Describe the structural elements which stand out in the first scenes of Act 1. How is musical improvisation used as a literary technique?
4. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
5. What does Diana reveal to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6? What song does she sing in this scene?
6. How is the Goodman family portrayed in the first scenes of Act 1?
7. What triggers Diana's memory flashback in Act 1, Scene 4? What is the memory of?
8. What is sung about and by whom in the songs "Who's Crazy" / "My Psychopharmacologist and I"?
9. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
10. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)