Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the protagonist of Next to Normal?
2. What word (in a dramatic or literary work) refers to a decisive moment that is of maximum intensity or is a major turning point in a plot?
3. What form of treatment does Diana's doctor begin in the ending of Act 1, Scene 8?
(a) Brain surgery.
(b) Water therapy.
(d) Shock therapy.
4. What does Gabe say in Act 1, Scene 8, indicating that he is alive not only to Diana, but in other ways to Dan and Natalie too?
(a) "I live on."
(b) "I cannot be forgotten."
(c) "I own you."
(d) "You remember."
5. What object is a particular trigger for Diana of memories of Gabe in the narrative?
(a) A pillow.
(b) A fleece blanket.
(c) A music box.
(d) His urn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who vents her anger at being the child always disregarded in favor of her parents' concern about her brother in Act 1, Scene 7?
2. How old does Diana's doctor say Gabe would have been in Act 1, Scene 8?
3. What emotional ballad does Dan sing to Diana in Act 1, Scene 11?
4. What new doctor does Diana see in Act 1, Scene 8?
5. Who wrote the music for Next to Normal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the character of Natalie in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. How do the scenes flow between Act 2 Scenes 7 and 8? What does this represent symbolically?
3. Where has Diana gone to live in Act 2, Scene 14? What is the outcome for the other characters as revealed in song?
4. What question does Diana pose to Dr. Madden in Act 2, Scene 10? What is Madden's reply?
5. How is the Goodman family portrayed in the first scenes of Act 1?
6. What does Dan attempt to show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What makes Natalie almost leave?
7. Describe the symbolic and metaphoric elements in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11. What object becomes important in these scenes and why?
8. Describe the central themes in Next to Normal. What does the story of the play revolve around?
9. What does Natalie show Diana in Act 2, Scene 4? What effect does it have?
10. What does Dan sing about in the song "It's Gonna Be Good"? Where is he?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)