|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the protagonist of Next to Normal?
2. What does Gabe eventually influence Diana to say in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) "I will get better."
(b) "Death, release me."
(c) "I'll die to dance with..."
(d) "I miss my son."
3. What song does Dan sing in reply to Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) "Just Another Day".
(b) "Hey #3".
(c) "How Could I Ever Forget".
(d) "I Am The One".
4. How old is the protagonist's daughter in Next to Normal?
5. Who takes some of Diana's medication in Act 1, Scene 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reflective ballad does Dan sing in Act 1, Scene 5 about his son?
2. What style of music does Henry play in Act 1, Scene 3, as Natalie listens?
3. What song does Diana sing about her longing for feeling in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. Who does Diana comment was as "high-spirited" as she is when speaking with her new doctor in Act 1, Scene 8?
5. What is the name of the song in Act 1, Scene 1 in which the main characters each sing about their morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new doctor does Diana see in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed about her medical history?
2. What do the members of the Goodman family sing about in the song "Just Another Day" in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What irony can be seen by the reader or audience member in the character of Gabe?
4. What does Gabe sing with Natalie about in Act 1, Scene 7?
5. What triggers Diana's memory flashback in Act 1, Scene 4? What is the memory of?
6. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
7. What are Henry and Natalie doing in Act 1, Scene 4? Who watches them?
8. Describe the symbolic and metaphoric elements in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11. What object becomes important in these scenes and why?
9. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
10. What does Diana reveal to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6? What song does she sing in this scene?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)