|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Diana's doctor suggests that it is time for her to do what in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) Spend time with her husband.
(b) Call her father.
(c) Call her mother.
(d) Clean out Gabe's room.
2. What multi-voiced, rock-textured ensemble number is sung by Diana, Gabe and others in Act 1, Scene 9?
(a) "He's Not Here".
(b) "Catch Me I'm Falling".
(c) "I'm Alive".
(d) "Perfect for You".
3. What does Diana make a huge pile of before collapsing on the floor in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What hard driving rock tune does Diana sing in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) "I Am the One".
(b) "You Don't Know".
(c) "Didn't I See This Movie".
5. When did Next to Normal close on Broadway?
(a) June 11, 2010.
(b) September 4, 2008.
(c) January 16, 2011.
(d) March 24, 2009.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who played the character of Dan in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
2. What song does Gabe sing in Act 1, Scene 8?
3. What object is a particular trigger for Diana of memories of Gabe in the narrative?
4. What refers to the intentional taking of one's own life?
5. What is the title of the song sung by Natalie in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the song "I'm Alive" relate to in Act 1, Scene 8?
2. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
3. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
4. What music opens Act 1, Scene 2? What does Natalie sing about in this song?
5. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
6. What does Dr. Madden suggest to Diana in Act 1, Scene 10? Where does she go after she leaves his office?
7. What are Henry and Natalie doing in Act 1, Scene 4? Who watches them?
8. What does Gabe sing with Natalie about in Act 1, Scene 7?
9. What do the members of the Goodman family sing about in the song "Just Another Day" in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. Describe the symbolic and metaphoric elements in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11. What object becomes important in these scenes and why?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)