|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What controversial treatment does Dr. Madden suggest for Diana in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) Electroshock therapy.
(b) Medical marijuana.
2. In Act 1, Scene 7, Gabe appears and sings with Natalie about "the son of steel and the daughter of" what?
3. What does Gabe eventually influence Diana to say in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) "Death, release me."
(b) "I will get better."
(c) "I miss my son."
(d) "I'll die to dance with..."
4. Gabe's song in Act 1, Scene 8 is intercut with dialogue between Dan and whom?
(d) Dr. Fine.
5. How old is the protagonist's daughter in Next to Normal?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invites Henry to dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
2. Dr. Madden appears in Act 1, Scene 10, commenting as he makes a report that Diana has done what?
3. What does Gabe say in Act 1, Scene 8, indicating that he is alive not only to Diana, but in other ways to Dan and Natalie too?
4. What lightly textured waltz tune does Diana sing in Act 1, Scene 10?
5. What reflective ballad does Dan sing in Act 1, Scene 5 about his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
2. What is revealed about the character of Gabe in Act 1, Scenes 4 and 5?
3. How is Gabe different as a character from the others in Act 1, Scenes 1-3?
4. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
5. What new doctor does Diana see in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed about her medical history?
6. How is the music used in expressing the inner thoughts of the characters in Act 1?
7. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
8. What song is performed by Diana and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 10? What does Gabe encourage Diana to do?
9. What does Gabe sing with Natalie about in Act 1, Scene 7?
10. What do the members of the Goodman family sing about in the song "Just Another Day" in Act 1, Scene 1?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)