|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who vents her anger at being the child always disregarded in favor of her parents' concern about her brother in Act 1, Scene 7?
2. Who suggests that what Diana is doing is a good idea and that she is brave in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Dr. Fine.
(b) Dr. Madden.
3. Approximately how old was Gabe when he died?
4. Dr. Madden appears in Act 1, Scene 10, commenting as he makes a report that Diana has done what?
(a) Killed herself.
(b) Attempted suicide.
(d) Killed someone else.
5. Who played the character of Dan in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
(a) Louis Hobson.
(b) Asa Somers.
(c) Aaron Tveit
(d) J. Robert Spencer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Next to Normal nominated for eleven Tony Awards?
2. What form of treatment does Diana's doctor begin in the ending of Act 1, Scene 8?
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, music plays a classical sounding piano part with some light orchestral accompaniment in the style of what composer?
4. How many Tony Awards did Next to Normal win the year it was nominated for eleven awards?
5. What drug does Henry give to Natalie in Act 1, Scene 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ironic comment does Natalie make about her mother's treatment in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What is revealed about the character of Gabe in Act 1, Scenes 4 and 5?
3. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
4. What does Diana reveal to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6? What song does she sing in this scene?
5. What does Dr. Madden reveal after Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 10? What treatment does he suggest?
6. What reprise is sung by Diana in Act 2, Scene 7? What conversation takes place between Diana and Dr. Madden in this scene?
7. How is Gabe different as a character from the others in Act 1, Scenes 1-3?
8. What is symbolized in the song "Next to Normal" in the musical?
9. What does Dr. Madden suggest to Diana in Act 1, Scene 10? Where does she go after she leaves his office?
10. Why is Henry worried about Natalie in Act 2, Scene 3? Where does he ask her to go?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)