|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Act 1, Scene 4 flashes back to Dan's proposal, which was prompted by the news that Diana was what?
2. What controversial treatment does Dr. Madden suggest for Diana in Act 1, Scene 10?
(b) Medical marijuana.
(c) Electroshock therapy.
3. Dr. Madden appears in Act 1, Scene 10, commenting as he makes a report that Diana has done what?
(a) Killed someone else.
(c) Killed herself.
(d) Attempted suicide.
4. In the ending of Act 1, Scene 11, Gabe appears and watches as Diana gives what to Dr. Madden?
(a) A urine sample.
(b) Consent forms.
(c) Test results.
(d) Personal belongings.
5. From what mental illness does the protagonist of Next to Normal suffer?
(a) Multiple Personality Disorder.
(b) Bipolar Disorder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who played the character of Natalie in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
2. What is the name of the song in Act 1, Scene 1 in which the main characters each sing about their morning?
3. What does Diana enter with after dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
4. What song does Diana, Natalie and Gabe sing in Act 1, Scene 7?
5. What song does Diana's doctor sing in Act 1, Scene 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
2. What are Henry and Natalie doing in Act 1, Scene 4? Who watches them?
3. What does Diana reveal to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6? What song does she sing in this scene?
4. What does Dan sing about in the song "It's Gonna Be Good"? Where is he?
5. What is the subject and style of the song "Superboy and the Invisible Girl"? Who sings it?
6. What triggers Diana's memory flashback in Act 1, Scene 4? What is the memory of?
7. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
8. What does the song "I'm Alive" relate to in Act 1, Scene 8?
9. What song is performed by Diana and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 10? What does Gabe encourage Diana to do?
10. What do the members of the Goodman family sing about in the song "Just Another Day" in Act 1, Scene 1?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)