|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Diana enter with after dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) A book.
(b) A birthday present.
(c) A bottle of whiskey.
(d) A birthday cake.
2. Who appears and sings along with Dan using no words in Act 1, Scene 11?
(b) Dr. Fine.
3. What refers to the intentional taking of one's own life?
4. Who is the protagonist of Next to Normal?
5. In what year did Next to Normal win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama?
Short Answer Questions
1. What controversial treatment does Dr. Madden suggest for Diana in Act 1, Scene 10?
2. When did Next to Normal close on Broadway?
3. What does Diana make a huge pile of before collapsing on the floor in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What emotional ballad does Dan sing to Diana in Act 1, Scene 11?
5. What song does Dan sing in reply to Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the central themes in Next to Normal. What does the story of the play revolve around?
2. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
3. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
4. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
5. What song does Dan sing to Diana about their son in Act 1, Scene 5? What does the song reveal?
6. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
7. What are Henry and Natalie doing in Act 1, Scene 4? Who watches them?
8. What song is performed by Diana and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 10? What does Gabe encourage Diana to do?
9. What new doctor does Diana see in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed about her medical history?
10. What irony can be seen by the reader or audience member in the character of Gabe?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)