|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gabe wearing when he appears in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) A green robe.
(b) A tuxedo.
(c) Swim trunks.
(d) A dress.
2. Who takes some of Diana's medication in Act 1, Scene 8?
3. How old does Diana's doctor say Gabe would have been in Act 1, Scene 8?
4. What hard driving rock tune does Diana sing in Act 1, Scene 6?
(b) "I Am the One".
(c) "Didn't I See This Movie".
(d) "You Don't Know".
5. Who played the character of Dr. Fine/Dr. Madden in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
(a) Louis Hobson.
(b) Asa Somers.
(c) J. Robert Spencer.
(d) Aaron Tveit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears to ask Dan why he didn't take her to the hospital in Act 1, Scene 11?
2. When Natalie is informed of the controversial therapy being used on her mother in Act 1, Scene 11, she reacts with anger, accusing Dan of what?
3. In the ending of Act 1, Scene 11, Gabe appears and watches as Diana gives what to Dr. Madden?
4. What reflective ballad does Dan sing in Act 1, Scene 5 about his son?
5. What refers to the science dealing with the preparation, uses, and especially the effects of drugs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the music used in expressing the inner thoughts of the characters in Act 1?
2. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
3. Describe the central themes in Next to Normal. What does the story of the play revolve around?
4. What is revealed about the character of Gabe in Act 1, Scenes 4 and 5?
5. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
6. What do the members of the Goodman family sing about in the song "Just Another Day" in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. How is Gabe different as a character from the others in Act 1, Scenes 1-3?
8. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
9. What does Dan sing about in the song "It's Gonna Be Good"? Where is he?
10. What takes place at the family dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)