|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what mental illness does the protagonist of Next to Normal suffer?
(b) Multiple Personality Disorder.
(d) Bipolar Disorder.
2. When Natalie is informed of the controversial therapy being used on her mother in Act 1, Scene 11, she reacts with anger, accusing Dan of what?
(a) Wanting to rid himself of Diana.
(b) Betraying Diana's trust.
(c) Putting her through hell.
(d) Being selfish.
3. Diana reveals what to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) She tried to overdose on her pills.
(b) She's stopped taking her medications.
(c) She misses her son.
(d) She hates her doctor.
4. Who played the character of Dr. Fine/Dr. Madden in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
(a) Asa Somers.
(b) Louis Hobson.
(c) J. Robert Spencer.
(d) Aaron Tveit.
5. What is the name of the protagonist's daughter in Next to Normal?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the protagonist's daughter in Next to Normal?
2. Next to Normal closed on Broadway after how many regular performances?
3. What lightly textured waltz tune does Diana sing in Act 1, Scene 10?
4. Who wrote the music for Next to Normal?
5. What style of music does Henry play in Act 1, Scene 3, as Natalie listens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the song "I'm Alive" relate to in Act 1, Scene 8?
2. What is sung about and by whom in the songs "Who's Crazy" / "My Psychopharmacologist and I"?
3. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
4. How is the Goodman family portrayed in the first scenes of Act 1?
5. How does Gabe's character stand apart from the others in Act 1, Scene 9?
6. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
7. What takes place at the family dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
8. What song does Dan sing to Diana about their son in Act 1, Scene 5? What does the song reveal?
9. What song is performed by Diana and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 10? What does Gabe encourage Diana to do?
10. What are Henry and Natalie doing in Act 1, Scene 4? Who watches them?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)