|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Diana enter with after dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) A birthday present.
(b) A bottle of whiskey.
(c) A book.
(d) A birthday cake.
2. What refers to the intentional taking of one's own life?
3. Who suggests that what Diana is doing is a good idea and that she is brave in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Dr. Madden.
(b) Dr. Fine.
4. What refers to a substance in its carbonate or citrate form used in the treatment or prophylaxis of bipolar disorder or mania?
5. In Act 1, Scene 5, Dan sings at work that things have been good at home for what period of time?
(a) 4 days.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word means lying asleep or as if asleep; inactive, as in sleep; torpid?
2. What refers to instructions written into the script of a play, indicating stage actions, movements of performers, or production requirements?
3. What hard driving rock tune does Diana sing in Act 1, Scene 6?
4. Who played the character of Dr. Fine/Dr. Madden in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
5. Who vents her anger at being the child always disregarded in favor of her parents' concern about her brother in Act 1, Scene 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What song does Dan sing to Diana about their son in Act 1, Scene 5? What does the song reveal?
2. What is revealed about the character of Gabe in Act 1, Scenes 4 and 5?
3. How is the Goodman family portrayed in the first scenes of Act 1?
4. What does Diana reveal to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6? What song does she sing in this scene?
5. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
6. What is sung about and by whom in the songs "Who's Crazy" / "My Psychopharmacologist and I"?
7. What irony can be seen by the reader or audience member in the character of Gabe?
8. How does Gabe's character stand apart from the others in Act 1, Scene 9?
9. What is the subject and style of the song "Superboy and the Invisible Girl"? Who sings it?
10. What song is performed by Diana and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 10? What does Gabe encourage Diana to do?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)