|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drug do Natalie and Henry use in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. Who does Diana comment was as "high-spirited" as she is when speaking with her new doctor in Act 1, Scene 8?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her brother.
3. What refers to the science dealing with the preparation, uses, and especially the effects of drugs?
4. What refers to a substance in its carbonate or citrate form used in the treatment or prophylaxis of bipolar disorder or mania?
5. What does Diana make a huge pile of before collapsing on the floor in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Next to Normal nominated for eleven Tony Awards?
2. What word means lying asleep or as if asleep; inactive, as in sleep; torpid?
3. What is Gabe wearing when he appears in Act 1, Scene 10?
4. What was the name of the previous musical to win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama before Next to Normal?
5. What refers to anything, as an act or event, that serves as a stimulus and initiates or precipitates a reaction or series of reactions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
2. What takes place at the family dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
3. What music opens Act 1, Scene 2? What does Natalie sing about in this song?
4. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
5. Describe the structural elements which stand out in the first scenes of Act 1. How is musical improvisation used as a literary technique?
6. How is the music used in expressing the inner thoughts of the characters in Act 1?
7. What does Diana reveal to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6? What song does she sing in this scene?
8. What does Dr. Madden reveal after Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 10? What treatment does he suggest?
9. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
10. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)