|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Diana's doctor suggests that it is time for her to do what in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) Call her mother.
(b) Call her father.
(c) Spend time with her husband.
(d) Clean out Gabe's room.
2. What drug does Henry give to Natalie in Act 1, Scene 7?
3. Who is the protagonist of Next to Normal?
4. In Act 1, Scene 5, Dan sings at work that things have been good at home for what period of time?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 5 days.
5. What word means lying asleep or as if asleep; inactive, as in sleep; torpid?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Natalie is informed of the controversial therapy being used on her mother in Act 1, Scene 11, she reacts with anger, accusing Dan of what?
2. What does Diana make a huge pile of before collapsing on the floor in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What controversial treatment does Dr. Madden suggest for Diana in Act 1, Scene 10?
4. Dan reminds Diana that Gabe has been dead for how long in Act 1, Scene 5?
5. From what mental illness does the protagonist of Next to Normal suffer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
2. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
3. What new doctor does Diana see in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed about her medical history?
4. What song is performed by Diana and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 10? What does Gabe encourage Diana to do?
5. Describe the central themes in Next to Normal. What does the story of the play revolve around?
6. What irony can be seen by the reader or audience member in the character of Gabe?
7. How is the music used in expressing the inner thoughts of the characters in Act 1?
8. Describe the structural elements which stand out in the first scenes of Act 1. How is musical improvisation used as a literary technique?
9. What does Dr. Madden reveal after Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 10? What treatment does he suggest?
10. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)