|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hard-driving rock tune does Diana sing in Act 1, Scene 11?
(a) "How Could I Ever Forget".
(b) "A Light in the Dark".
(c) "Why Stay".
(d) "Didn't I See this Movie".
2. Next to Normal closed on Broadway after how many regular performances?
3. What object is a particular trigger for Diana of memories of Gabe in the narrative?
(a) A fleece blanket.
(b) A pillow.
(c) His urn.
(d) A music box.
4. Approximately how old was Gabe when he died?
5. Who played the character of Henry in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
(a) Aaron Tveit.
(b) Preston K. Sadleir.
(c) J. Robert Spencer.
(d) Adam Chanler-Berat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word means to compose and perform or deliver without previous preparation; extemporize?
2. Who takes some of Diana's medication in Act 1, Scene 8?
3. Dr. Madden appears in Act 1, Scene 10, commenting as he makes a report that Diana has done what?
4. What is Diana's last name in Next to Normal?
5. In what year was Next to Normal nominated for eleven Tony Awards?
Short Essay Questions
1. What music opens Act 1, Scene 2? What does Natalie sing about in this song?
2. What songs are sung by the doctor and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 9? What do they describe?
3. What is revealed about the character of Gabe in Act 1, Scenes 4 and 5?
4. What song does Dan sing to Diana about their son in Act 1, Scene 5? What does the song reveal?
5. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
6. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
7. What does Dr. Madden suggest to Diana in Act 1, Scene 10? Where does she go after she leaves his office?
8. Describe the symbolic and metaphoric elements in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11. What object becomes important in these scenes and why?
9. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
10. Describe the central themes in Next to Normal. What does the story of the play revolve around?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)