|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the protagonist's husband in Next to Normal?
(c) Dr. Fine.
2. What refers to instructions written into the script of a play, indicating stage actions, movements of performers, or production requirements?
(a) Stage directions.
(d) Dance numbers.
3. Who takes some of Diana's medication in Act 1, Scene 8?
4. What object is a particular trigger for Diana of memories of Gabe in the narrative?
(a) A pillow.
(b) A fleece blanket.
(c) A music box.
(d) His urn.
5. What new doctor does Diana see in Act 1, Scene 8?
(a) Dr. Fine.
(b) Dr. Kroeger.
(c) Dr. Ross.
(d) Dr. Madden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the protagonist of Next to Normal?
2. Who played the character of Dr. Fine/Dr. Madden in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
3. What hard driving rock tune does Diana sing in Act 1, Scene 6?
4. In Act 1, Scene 7, Gabe appears and sings with Natalie about "the son of steel and the daughter of" what?
5. What word means to compose and perform or deliver without previous preparation; extemporize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized in Gabe's comment "I own you," in Act 1, Scene 8? What is revealed in this scene regarding his character?
2. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
3. What takes place at the family dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
4. What does Dr. Madden reveal after Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 10? What treatment does he suggest?
5. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
6. What is the song "I Miss the Mountains" metaphorical for? What does Diana do while singing it?
7. What do the members of the Goodman family sing about in the song "Just Another Day" in Act 1, Scene 1?
8. How is the Goodman family portrayed in the first scenes of Act 1?
9. What triggers Diana's memory flashback in Act 1, Scene 4? What is the memory of?
10. What song is performed by Diana and Gabe in Act 1, Scene 10? What does Gabe encourage Diana to do?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)