|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Diana make a huge pile of before collapsing on the floor in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Approximately how old was Gabe when he died?
3. Gabe's song in Act 1, Scene 8 is intercut with dialogue between Dan and whom?
(d) Dr. Fine.
4. What psychiatric term refers to an experience that produces psychological injury or pain?
5. When Natalie is informed of the controversial therapy being used on her mother in Act 1, Scene 11, she reacts with anger, accusing Dan of what?
(a) Wanting to rid himself of Diana.
(b) Being selfish.
(c) Betraying Diana's trust.
(d) Putting her through hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Next to Normal closed on Broadway after how many regular performances?
2. How old does Diana's doctor say Gabe would have been in Act 1, Scene 8?
3. What song does Dan sing in reply to Diana's song in Act 1, Scene 6?
4. What refers to a substance in its carbonate or citrate form used in the treatment or prophylaxis of bipolar disorder or mania?
5. In Act 1, Scene 7, Gabe appears and sings with Natalie about "the son of steel and the daughter of" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of hope and light symbolized in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11?
2. Describe the structural elements which stand out in the first scenes of Act 1. How is musical improvisation used as a literary technique?
3. How does Gabe's character stand apart from the others in Act 1, Scene 9?
4. What does the song "I'm Alive" relate to in Act 1, Scene 8?
5. What triggers Diana's memory flashback in Act 1, Scene 4? What is the memory of?
6. What structurally takes place in Act 1, Scenes 10 and 11? What film is references in these scenes?
7. What song does Dan sing to Diana about their son in Act 1, Scene 5? What does the song reveal?
8. What is revealed about the character of Gabe in Act 1, Scenes 4 and 5?
9. What are Henry and Natalie doing in Act 1, Scene 4? Who watches them?
10. What does Dr. Madden suggest to Diana in Act 1, Scene 10? Where does she go after she leaves his office?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)