|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Next to Normal win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama?
2. What refers to the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning?
3. What word means lying asleep or as if asleep; inactive, as in sleep; torpid?
4. Who played the character of Henry in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
(a) J. Robert Spencer.
(b) Adam Chanler-Berat.
(c) Aaron Tveit.
(d) Preston K. Sadleir.
5. What song does Gabe sing in Act 1, Scene 8?
(a) "I'm Alive".
(b) "I Miss the Mountains".
(c) "You Don't Know".
(d) "The Break".
6. What does Dan bring Diana a box of in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) A puppy.
(c) A kitten.
(d) Gabe's things.
7. Diana's doctor suggests that it is time for her to do what in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) Call her father.
(b) Call her mother.
(c) Clean out Gabe's room.
(d) Spend time with her husband.
8. Who vents her anger at being the child always disregarded in favor of her parents' concern about her brother in Act 1, Scene 7?
9. What form of treatment does Diana's doctor begin in the ending of Act 1, Scene 8?
(b) Brain surgery.
(c) Shock therapy.
(d) Water therapy.
10. What word means to compose and perform or deliver without previous preparation; extemporize?
11. In Act 1, Scene 7, Gabe appears and sings with Natalie about "the son of steel and the daughter of" what?
12. Who takes some of Diana's medication in Act 1, Scene 8?
13. From what mental illness does the protagonist of Next to Normal suffer?
(a) Bipolar Disorder.
(c) Multiple Personality Disorder.
14. Who does Diana say she couldn't hold when she was born in Act 1, Scene 9?
15. What hard driving rock tune does Diana sing in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) "You Don't Know".
(b) "Didn't I See This Movie".
(c) "I Am the One".
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the protagonist's daughter in Next to Normal?
2. What refers to a substance in its carbonate or citrate form used in the treatment or prophylaxis of bipolar disorder or mania?
3. How many Tony Awards did Next to Normal win the year it was nominated for eleven awards?
4. Approximately how old was Gabe when he died?
5. How old does Diana's doctor say Gabe would have been in Act 1, Scene 8?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)