|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who played the character of Natalie in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
(a) Rebecca Hodges.
(b) Emma Hunton.
(c) Alice Ripley.
(d) Jennifer Damiano.
2. What refers to instructions written into the script of a play, indicating stage actions, movements of performers, or production requirements?
(a) Dance numbers.
(d) Stage directions.
3. What refers to the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning?
4. What was the name of the previous musical to win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama before Next to Normal?
(c) Anna in the Tropics.
(d) Dinner with Friends.
5. What refers to anything, as an act or event, that serves as a stimulus and initiates or precipitates a reaction or series of reactions?
6. What song does Diana sing about her longing for feeling in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) "The Break".
(b) "Everything Else".
(c) "I Miss the Mountains".
(d) "I've Been".
7. Diana reveals what to Dan in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) She hates her doctor.
(b) She misses her son.
(c) She tried to overdose on her pills.
(d) She's stopped taking her medications.
8. Act 1, Scene 4 flashes back to Dan's proposal, which was prompted by the news that Diana was what?
9. In Act 1, Scene 2, music plays a classical sounding piano part with some light orchestral accompaniment in the style of what composer?
10. What word refers to anything, as an act or event, that serves as a stimulus and initiates or precipitates a reaction or series of reactions?
11. What song does Diana, Natalie and Gabe sing in Act 1, Scene 7?
(a) "Superboy and the Invisible Girl".
(b) "You Don't Know".
(c) "Perfect for You".
(d) "Song of Forgetting".
12. In Act 1, Scene 5, Dan sings at work that things have been good at home for what period of time?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 4 days.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 5 days.
13. What is the name of the song in Act 1, Scene 1 in which the main characters each sing about their morning?
(a) "Perfect for You".
(b) "Everything Else".
(c) "Just Another Day".
(d) "Who's Crazy".
14. Who invites Henry to dinner in Act 1, Scene 5?
(d) Dr. Fine.
15. In Act 1, Scene 11, Dr. Madden tries to convince Diana to try the controversial therapy while who attempts to convince her not to try it?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the music for Next to Normal?
2. From what mental illness does the protagonist of Next to Normal suffer?
3. In what year did Next to Normal win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama?
4. Who claims that he sits behind Natalie in several classes and knows her schedule in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Who does Diana say she couldn't hold when she was born in Act 1, Scene 9?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)