|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Next to Normal close on Broadway?
(a) January 16, 2011.
(b) September 4, 2008.
(c) June 11, 2010.
(d) March 24, 2009.
2. What controversial treatment does Dr. Madden suggest for Diana in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) Electroshock therapy.
(b) Medical marijuana.
3. What was the name of the previous musical to win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama before Next to Normal?
(a) Dinner with Friends.
(b) Anna in the Tropics.
4. In Act 1, Scene 5, Dan sings at work that things have been good at home for what period of time?
(a) 4 days.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 5 days.
5. Act 1, Scene 4 flashes back to Dan's proposal, which was prompted by the news that Diana was what?
6. Who played the character of Dr. Fine/Dr. Madden in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
(a) Asa Somers.
(b) J. Robert Spencer.
(c) Aaron Tveit.
(d) Louis Hobson.
7. Who played the character of Gabe in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
(a) Aaron Tveit.
(b) Asa Somers.
(c) J. Robert Spencer.
(d) Louis Hobson.
8. What does Diana make a huge pile of before collapsing on the floor in Act 1, Scene 1?
9. What refers to a type of affective disorder characterized by euphoric mood, excessive activity and talkativeness, impaired judgment, and sometimes psychotic symptoms, as grandiose delusions?
(c) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.
(d) Manic disorder.
10. In what year was Next to Normal nominated for eleven Tony Awards?
11. Next to Normal closed on Broadway after how many regular performances?
12. What refers to the intentional taking of one's own life?
13. What refers to the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning?
14. How old does Diana's doctor say Gabe would have been in Act 1, Scene 8?
15. What refers to the science dealing with the preparation, uses, and especially the effects of drugs?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the protagonist's daughter in Next to Normal?
2. Who vents her anger at being the child always disregarded in favor of her parents' concern about her brother in Act 1, Scene 7?
3. What psychiatric term refers to an experience that produces psychological injury or pain?
4. What word means lying asleep or as if asleep; inactive, as in sleep; torpid?
5. What style of music does Henry play in Act 1, Scene 3, as Natalie listens?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)