|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the music for Next to Normal?
(a) Matthew Johnson.
(b) John Robbins.
(c) Edward Holmes.
(d) Tom Kitt.
2. What refers to instructions written into the script of a play, indicating stage actions, movements of performers, or production requirements?
(a) Stage directions.
(d) Dance numbers.
3. What object is a particular trigger for Diana of memories of Gabe in the narrative?
(a) A pillow.
(b) A fleece blanket.
(c) His urn.
(d) A music box.
4. Next to Normal closed on Broadway after how many regular performances?
5. What drug does Henry give to Natalie in Act 1, Scene 7?
6. Who appears to ask Dan why he didn't take her to the hospital in Act 1, Scene 11?
7. What controversial treatment does Dr. Madden suggest for Diana in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) Medical marijuana.
(d) Electroshock therapy.
8. Dan reminds Diana that Gabe has been dead for how long in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) 16 years.
(b) 22 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 3 years.
9. Who played the character of Natalie in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
(a) Alice Ripley.
(b) Emma Hunton.
(c) Jennifer Damiano.
(d) Rebecca Hodges.
10. What psychiatric term refers to an experience that produces psychological injury or pain?
11. Diana's doctor suggests that it is time for her to do what in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) Spend time with her husband.
(b) Call her father.
(c) Clean out Gabe's room.
(d) Call her mother.
12. What word means to compose and perform or deliver without previous preparation; extemporize?
13. What is the name of the protagonist's son who died in the musical?
14. Who suggests that what Diana is doing is a good idea and that she is brave in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Dr. Fine.
(c) Dr. Madden.
15. Who played the character of Gabe in the original Broadway cast of Next to Normal?
(a) Louis Hobson.
(b) J. Robert Spencer.
(c) Asa Somers.
(d) Aaron Tveit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of treatment does Diana's doctor begin in the ending of Act 1, Scene 8?
2. Who does Diana comment was as "high-spirited" as she is when speaking with her new doctor in Act 1, Scene 8?
3. What is the name of the protagonist's daughter in Next to Normal?
4. What refers to a type of affective disorder characterized by euphoric mood, excessive activity and talkativeness, impaired judgment, and sometimes psychotic symptoms, as grandiose delusions?
5. What is the title of the song sung by Natalie in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)