|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dan reminds Diana that Gabe has been dead for how long in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) 22 years.
(b) 16 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 8 years.
2. What hard driving rock tune does Diana sing in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) "You Don't Know".
(b) "I Am the One".
(c) "Didn't I See This Movie".
3. Gabe's song in Act 1, Scene 8 is intercut with dialogue between Dan and whom?
(b) Dr. Fine.
4. What word means lying asleep or as if asleep; inactive, as in sleep; torpid?
5. What song does Gabe sing in Act 1, Scene 8?
(a) "I Miss the Mountains".
(b) "The Break".
(c) "I'm Alive".
(d) "You Don't Know".
6. Next to Normal closed on Broadway after how many regular performances?
7. What is Gabe wearing when he appears in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) A tuxedo.
(b) Swim trunks.
(c) A green robe.
(d) A dress.
8. What style of music does Henry play in Act 1, Scene 3, as Natalie listens?
9. What drug do Natalie and Henry use in Act 1, Scene 4?
10. What psychiatric term refers to an experience that produces psychological injury or pain?
11. What multi-voiced, rock-textured ensemble number is sung by Diana, Gabe and others in Act 1, Scene 9?
(a) "Perfect for You".
(b) "He's Not Here".
(c) "I'm Alive".
(d) "Catch Me I'm Falling".
12. What does Gabe say in Act 1, Scene 8, indicating that he is alive not only to Diana, but in other ways to Dan and Natalie too?
(a) "You remember."
(b) "I cannot be forgotten."
(c) "I own you."
(d) "I live on."
13. What does Gabe eventually influence Diana to say in Act 1, Scene 10?
(a) "Death, release me."
(b) "I'll die to dance with..."
(c) "I will get better."
(d) "I miss my son."
14. Where does Henry visit Natalie in Act 1, Scene 9?
(a) At a shopping mall.
(b) At a park.
(c) Backstage at a concert.
(d) In an internet cafe.
15. Who does Diana say she couldn't hold when she was born in Act 1, Scene 9?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears to ask Dan why he didn't take her to the hospital in Act 1, Scene 11?
2. What refers to a type of affective disorder characterized by euphoric mood, excessive activity and talkativeness, impaired judgment, and sometimes psychotic symptoms, as grandiose delusions?
3. What tender ballad does Gabe sing in Act 1, Scene 10?
4. In Act 1, Scene 7, Gabe appears and sings with Natalie about "the son of steel and the daughter of" what?
5. What word (in a dramatic or literary work) refers to a decisive moment that is of maximum intensity or is a major turning point in a plot?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)