|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Escobar threaten to dynamite?
2. How does Beatriz find out about Marina's death?
3. When Escobar first begins his business with the drug cartel, how do the people of Medellín view them?
4. What are the guards' orders if there is a rescue mission for Pacho Santos?
5. What is one thing that can break Maruja's bond with the nicer set of guards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The guards are there to keep the hostages from escaping. However, sometimes the guards show sympathy such as the day they find out about Maruja's birthday or the guard who is moved by Pacho's letter to his wife. Consider these guards and why they are there. What position are the guards in? Why do they do this job when it seems to conflict with their personal feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Diana Turbay's character as seen through her past work and time spent in captivity. What words best describe her? What is she like as a person? A journalist?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Colombian government as it was in the late 1980s/early 1990s. What type of government was it? How was it enacted? Write about how the government plays into the lives of drug traffickers and narcoterrorism.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)