|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of Edith Bonner?
2. What is Mrs. Wheeling's first name?
3. Where does Eggers work?
4. What is the name of the bar where Teddy will pick up his money?
5. Who does Van Fleet kidnap?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Eggers and Woodman want with Stone?
2. What is Stone's next job at Woodman and Weld? Who will help to carry out the orders?
3. Explain the exchange between Stone and Elaine. What disturbing news does Elaine deliver?
4. Explain the scene in which Stone checks out the executive apartments.
5. What are the conditions on the night of the job? Why does Stone worry about Teddy?
6. Describe Stone's first day at Woodman and Weld.
7. What happens with Cary after the video is shot? What is Stone's reaction?
8. Describe the conversation between Stone and Dino.
9. Discuss the results of Teddy's covert operation. What is Eggers' reaction? What is Stone's reaction?
10. Explain the scene at Dino's wedding.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are quite a few bodies discovered in Van Fleet's secret place. Explain the condition of the bodies. How are the bodies identified? Who provides the identification? Do police check the identities in any other way? Explain. Would it be helpful to check fingerprints? Could the police use dental records for identification? Are the identifications correct? Explain. Would these murders be handled differently than any other murder? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Woods uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Woods' mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between Stone and Cary. What is the common ground for their relationship? How do their professional lives often interfere with their personal relationship? How does one know when a boundary has been crossed? Do they respect each other? How has their relationship evolved? Where might it go from here? Do you think the relationship will ever change drastically? Does either have any ulterior motives regarding the relationship? Explain.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)