|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man's former occupation?
2. Stone was dismayed when he received a large bill from which of the following?
3. What item does the client supply?
4. Cary points out which famous New York landmark shortly before sitting down to dinner?
5. Van Fleet is accused of attempting to commit which crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What big news does Dino deliver to Stone? What is Stone's reaction?
2. What bad news does Stone get after arriving at the house in Turtle Bay?
3. What happens with Cary after the video is shot? What is Stone's reaction?
4. Explain the conversation between Stone and Hi. What information does Hi reveal?
5. Discuss the meeting between Stone and Dino. What is the main topic of conversation?
6. Discuss Stone's activities at home after he retires from the NYPD.
7. Discuss the scene between Stone and Leary. What decision has Leary made regarding Stone's status as a detective?
8. Who is responsible for the accident? What confession is made to Stone?
9. Explain the phone call Stone receives from Herb. What are the circumstances of Herb's arrest?
10. Explain the exchange between Stone and Elaine. What disturbing news does Elaine deliver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stone believes that Cary married Barron for two reasons. The first is that Barron is wealthy and has a good social standing; the second is that she will never be required to testify against Barron, saving both of them from a great deal of trouble. In the United States, a spouse cannot testify in a case against the other spouse. Why? Write an essay on testifying against a spouse. How might this law affect the Nijinsky case? Is this a smart move on Cary's part? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Woods uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Woods' mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
Essay Topic 3
Out of the blue, Dino announces that he is going to marry Mary Ann Bianchi. Explain the scenario. What is Stone's reaction? Is this a sudden thing, or have Dino and Mary Ann been together for a long time? Who is Mary Ann's father? What is his profession? What is Dino's relationship to the Bianchis? How might the family business interfere with Dino's police work? Does any of this concern Dino? What is Stone's opinion? What do you think will happen next?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)