|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The wife will get the house in which prestigious location?
2. What is Martin Van Fleet's nickname?
3. Cary confesses that Barron was not on the plane from ______ as reported.
4. What is Stone's drink of choice?
5. Scoop admits to killing _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is responsible for the accident? What confession is made to Stone?
2. Discuss the conversation between Stone and Dr. Garfield. What does Garfield say about Herbert Van Fleet?
3. What does Stone do to lose himself while thinking through his options?
4. Discuss the results of Teddy's covert operation. What is Eggers' reaction? What is Stone's reaction?
5. When is the planned rendezvous? What is Stone's reaction?
6. What is Stone's next job at Woodman and Weld? Who will help to carry out the orders?
7. Explain the exchange between Cary and Stone regarding his retirement.
8. What are the conditions on the night of the job? Why does Stone worry about Teddy?
9. Explain the scene at Dino's wedding.
10. What do you think Eggers and Woodman want with Stone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of Manhattan for the setting in the Stone Barrington series. Why do you think Woods chose Manhattan? How accurate do you think the setting is in regards to the real location? What areas are most commonly referenced in the story? What other location might have worked well, if not better, than Manhattan? What is unique about the setting? What regionalisms are exhibited by Barrington and the rest of the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Woods uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Woods' mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
Essay Topic 3
There are quite a few bodies discovered in Van Fleet's secret place. Explain the condition of the bodies. How are the bodies identified? Who provides the identification? Do police check the identities in any other way? Explain. Would it be helpful to check fingerprints? Could the police use dental records for identification? Are the identifications correct? Explain. Would these murders be handled differently than any other murder? Explain.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)