|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stone hire to help with the case?
2. What is Martin Van Fleet's nickname?
3. Stone was dismayed when he received a large bill from which of the following?
4. Stone compares eating dinner to doing what?
5. What is Mrs. Wheeling's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stone go to see Frank Woodman? What is the result of the meeting? What shocking information is delivered?
2. Explain the exchange between Stone and Elaine. What disturbing news does Elaine deliver?
3. Discuss the results of Teddy's covert operation. What is Eggers' reaction? What is Stone's reaction?
4. When does Stone see Cary? What is Stone's reaction to their ongoing relationship?
5. What big news does Dino deliver to Stone? What is Stone's reaction?
6. Discuss the conversation between Stone and Dr. Garfield. What does Garfield say about Herbert Van Fleet?
7. What happens with Cary after the video is shot? What is Stone's reaction?
8. What do you think Eggers and Woodman want with Stone?
9. Discuss the scene between Stone and Leary. What decision has Leary made regarding Stone's status as a detective?
10. Explain the phone call Stone receives from Herb. What are the circumstances of Herb's arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stone Barrington is a no-nonsense cop turned attorney in Manhattan. Examine Barrington's career. Why do you think Eggers wanted to hire Barrington? Does Barrington have any knowledge of criminal law? How do Eggers and Barrington know each other? Write a complete character description of Stone Barrington. Include physical descriptions and other information gleaned from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Stuart Woods' Stone Barrington series. How many books are there? Write a character profile of Barrington. Discuss how the character has progressed and evolved throughout the series. Where might Barrington next? How might Barrington's relationships change in future books? What type of case might Barrington accept next?
Essay Topic 3
Stone believes that Cary married Barron for two reasons. The first is that Barron is wealthy and has a good social standing; the second is that she will never be required to testify against Barron, saving both of them from a great deal of trouble. In the United States, a spouse cannot testify in a case against the other spouse. Why? Write an essay on testifying against a spouse. How might this law affect the Nijinsky case? Is this a smart move on Cary's part? Explain.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)