|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stone arrives at a dinner party, stunned to see ____ at the head of the table.
2. What was the name of the previously unidentified client?
3. What is the name of the news program Stone watches in the morning?
4. Who does Stone hire to help with the case?
5. Cary confesses that Barron was not on the plane from ______ as reported.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the night Stone takes a cab from Elaine's? What major incident occurs on the street?
2. Discuss the details of Stone's conversation and agreement with Bill Eggers.
3. Why does Stone go to see Frank Woodman? What is the result of the meeting? What shocking information is delivered?
4. Explain the conversation between Stone and Hi. What information does Hi reveal?
5. When does Stone see Cary? What is Stone's reaction to their ongoing relationship?
6. Discuss the meeting between Stone and Dino. What is the main topic of conversation?
7. Discuss Stone's activities at home after he retires from the NYPD.
8. Explain the scene at Dino's wedding.
9. Discuss the conversation between Stone and Dr. Garfield. What does Garfield say about Herbert Van Fleet?
10. Discuss the results of Teddy's covert operation. What is Eggers' reaction? What is Stone's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is obvious that several of the characters in the book are homosexual or bisexual. How does this fact play into the story? Does it matter? Why do some of the characters find it necessary to hide this fact? How does the sexual preference of the characters affect the story and the investigation? Cite various passages in the text that show a character's sexuality and discuss how it is referenced by Woods. Does Stone have any opinion on this issue? Does Dino?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Woods uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Woods' mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
Essay Topic 3
There are quite a few bodies discovered in Van Fleet's secret place. Explain the condition of the bodies. How are the bodies identified? Who provides the identification? Do police check the identities in any other way? Explain. Would it be helpful to check fingerprints? Could the police use dental records for identification? Are the identifications correct? Explain. Would these murders be handled differently than any other murder? Explain.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)