|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the news program Stone watches in the morning?
2. Where is Eggers when he calls to talk to Stone?
3. What is Martin Van Fleet's nickname?
4. What is the name of the doctor contacted by Stone?
5. Leary gives Stone the results from his _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the scene in which Stone checks out the executive apartments.
2. Explain the conversation between Stone and Hi. What information does Hi reveal?
3. Why does Stone go to see Frank Woodman? What is the result of the meeting? What shocking information is delivered?
4. Describe Stone's first day at Woodman and Weld.
5. Explain the phone call Stone receives from Herb. What are the circumstances of Herb's arrest?
6. What are the conditions on the night of the job? Why does Stone worry about Teddy?
7. Discuss the conversation between Stone and Dr. Garfield. What does Garfield say about Herbert Van Fleet?
8. When does Stone see Cary? What is Stone's reaction to their ongoing relationship?
9. What do you think Eggers and Woodman want with Stone?
10. What bad news does Stone get after arriving at the house in Turtle Bay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are quite a few bodies discovered in Van Fleet's secret place. Explain the condition of the bodies. How are the bodies identified? Who provides the identification? Do police check the identities in any other way? Explain. Would it be helpful to check fingerprints? Could the police use dental records for identification? Are the identifications correct? Explain. Would these murders be handled differently than any other murder? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Stone believes that Cary married Barron for two reasons. The first is that Barron is wealthy and has a good social standing; the second is that she will never be required to testify against Barron, saving both of them from a great deal of trouble. In the United States, a spouse cannot testify in a case against the other spouse. Why? Write an essay on testifying against a spouse. How might this law affect the Nijinsky case? Is this a smart move on Cary's part? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on news sources. Stone goggles at the speed with which some of the media gets their hands on police information. Reporters tend to use any sources they can to get information for the news. For example, it might be easy for Cary to use her relationship with Barrington to get inside information on the case. What are the most common ways to get information? Who might be used as a source? How could a reporter know if a source is valuable and/or reliable? What is commonly known about reporters protecting their sources? What is the penalty for refusing to reveal one's source? Also discuss professional ethics and how it might be difficult to be in a relationship like the one shared by Cary and Stone.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)