|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a business noted by Stone as he strolled down the street by Hank's house?
2. Where was the check going to be sent?
3. Who is Stone sent to see?
4. Who does Stone contact immediately?
5. Morgan states that it was imperative for Sasha to deny she was a:
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the scene in which Dino interrogates Hank. What is Stone's reaction?
2. Briefly discuss the meeting between Stone and Cary Hilliard.
3. Why does Stone go to Sasha's apartment? How does he get in to the residence? What does Stone find on the scene?
4. Who is Hi Barker? What does he know about Sasha Nijinsky? What deal is struck between Stone and Barker?
5. What is the result of the search conducted by Stone and Dino?
6. Who is Ms. Vincent? What does she say about Hank?
7. What does Stone learn when he goes to Sasha's apartment? Whose permission must be obtained to get inside? Why?
8. What is Cary's recommendation to Stone regarding his job?
9. Describe the meeting held in Leary's office. Who is in attendance?
10. Who is Ms. Balfour? Why is her appearance important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stone Barrington is a no-nonsense cop turned attorney in Manhattan. Examine Barrington's career. Why do you think Eggers wanted to hire Barrington? Does Barrington have any knowledge of criminal law? How do Eggers and Barrington know each other? Write a complete character description of Stone Barrington. Include physical descriptions and other information gleaned from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Woods uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Woods' mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
Essay Topic 3
Out of the blue, Dino announces that he is going to marry Mary Ann Bianchi. Explain the scenario. What is Stone's reaction? Is this a sudden thing, or have Dino and Mary Ann been together for a long time? Who is Mary Ann's father? What is his profession? What is Dino's relationship to the Bianchis? How might the family business interfere with Dino's police work? Does any of this concern Dino? What is Stone's opinion? What do you think will happen next?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)