|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What person interferes with a potential crime scene?
2. What is the surname of Sasha's lawyer?
3. How old is Hank?
4. What is Hank's real first name?
5. What is the name of Stone's boss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ms. Balfour? Why is her appearance important?
2. Why does Stone go to Sasha's apartment? How does he get in to the residence? What does Stone find on the scene?
3. What is Cary's recommendation to Stone regarding his job?
4. Who is Hank Morgan? What is her role in the story at this point?
5. Describe in brief the information learned about Sasha's youth.
6. Briefly discuss the meeting between Stone and Cary Hilliard.
7. What is the result of the search conducted by Stone and Dino?
8. Who is Hi Barker? What does he know about Sasha Nijinsky? What deal is struck between Stone and Barker?
9. Who issues the warrant? What bet is made?
10. What major issue comes between Stone, Dino and Leary? What is Stone's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Out of the blue, Dino announces that he is going to marry Mary Ann Bianchi. Explain the scenario. What is Stone's reaction? Is this a sudden thing, or have Dino and Mary Ann been together for a long time? Who is Mary Ann's father? What is his profession? What is Dino's relationship to the Bianchis? How might the family business interfere with Dino's police work? Does any of this concern Dino? What is Stone's opinion? What do you think will happen next?
Essay Topic 2
It is obvious that several of the characters in the book are homosexual or bisexual. How does this fact play into the story? Does it matter? Why do some of the characters find it necessary to hide this fact? How does the sexual preference of the characters affect the story and the investigation? Cite various passages in the text that show a character's sexuality and discuss how it is referenced by Woods. Does Stone have any opinion on this issue? Does Dino?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Woods uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Woods' mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)