|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Delgado's rank?
2. What is the name of the man Stone and Dino meet at the precinct?
3. What is the name of Stone's partner?
4. Stone inherited his house from his ____.
5. What is the name of the man's assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hank Morgan? What is her role in the story at this point?
2. Where does Stone go while waiting to visit the television studio? What are Stone's thoughts?
3. Discuss the situation between Stone and Cary.
4. Briefly discuss the meeting between Stone and Cary Hilliard.
5. Explain the scene in which Dino interrogates Hank. What is Stone's reaction?
6. Who is Hi Barker? What does he know about Sasha Nijinsky? What deal is struck between Stone and Barker?
7. Who is Marvin Herbert Van Fleet? Why is Van Fleet a suspect? What is his alias? Where does the man work?
8. Discuss Stone's family history and how it affects his personal and professional lives.
9. Discuss the meeting between Stone, Dino and Lieutenant Leary. What is the most pressing case at the moment?
10. Describe the meeting held in Leary's office. Who is in attendance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Woods uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Woods' mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
Essay Topic 2
There are quite a few bodies discovered in Van Fleet's secret place. Explain the condition of the bodies. How are the bodies identified? Who provides the identification? Do police check the identities in any other way? Explain. Would it be helpful to check fingerprints? Could the police use dental records for identification? Are the identifications correct? Explain. Would these murders be handled differently than any other murder? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Stone believes that Cary married Barron for two reasons. The first is that Barron is wealthy and has a good social standing; the second is that she will never be required to testify against Barron, saving both of them from a great deal of trouble. In the United States, a spouse cannot testify in a case against the other spouse. Why? Write an essay on testifying against a spouse. How might this law affect the Nijinsky case? Is this a smart move on Cary's part? Explain.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)