|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Morgan states that it was imperative for Sasha to deny she was a:
2. What is the man's unusual first name?
3. What service had not been canceled after Sasha died?
4. The man says that Sasha was often ______.
5. What is the surname of Sasha's lawyer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stone go to Sasha's apartment? How does he get in to the residence? What does Stone find on the scene?
2. Describe the meeting held in Leary's office. Who is in attendance?
3. Who is Ms. Balfour? Why is her appearance important?
4. Where does Stone go while waiting to visit the television studio? What are Stone's thoughts?
5. What is Van Fleet's alibi for the night Sasha fell from the terrace? What is Van Fleet's reaction to the request for a search of his apartment?
6. What does Stone learn when he goes to Sasha's apartment? Whose permission must be obtained to get inside? Why?
7. Who issues the warrant? What bet is made?
8. Discuss Stone's family history and how it affects his personal and professional lives.
9. What event occurs on the way from the scene of the fall to the hospital?
10. Discuss the meeting between Stone, Dino and Lieutenant Leary. What is the most pressing case at the moment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Out of the blue, Dino announces that he is going to marry Mary Ann Bianchi. Explain the scenario. What is Stone's reaction? Is this a sudden thing, or have Dino and Mary Ann been together for a long time? Who is Mary Ann's father? What is his profession? What is Dino's relationship to the Bianchis? How might the family business interfere with Dino's police work? Does any of this concern Dino? What is Stone's opinion? What do you think will happen next?
Essay Topic 2
It is obvious that several of the characters in the book are homosexual or bisexual. How does this fact play into the story? Does it matter? Why do some of the characters find it necessary to hide this fact? How does the sexual preference of the characters affect the story and the investigation? Cite various passages in the text that show a character's sexuality and discuss how it is referenced by Woods. Does Stone have any opinion on this issue? Does Dino?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Martin Herbert Van Fleet. What types of things would Van Fleet be most proud of in his career and personal lives? What other types of professional work might Van Fleet have done? Would the memoir include details of his relationships with his victims? How might Van Fleet describe how he felt before, during and after each murder?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)