|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Waldron's title?
2. What is Hank's real first name?
3. Stone gets the impression that Leary wants to make Hank into a:
4. Who is the strange man at the bar?
5. What is Stone's reaction when he first meets the woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the scene in which Dino interrogates Hank. What is Stone's reaction?
2. Discuss Stone's family history and how it affects his personal and professional lives.
3. What event occurs on the way from the scene of the fall to the hospital?
4. Who is Marvin Herbert Van Fleet? Why is Van Fleet a suspect? What is his alias? Where does the man work?
5. Where does Stone begin to interview people regarding Sasha's alleged death?
6. What red flag does Stone discover when reviewing Sasha's documents?
7. What is Cary's recommendation to Stone regarding his job?
8. What is Hank's reaction to being questioned about the money?
9. What makes Stone think that there is a leak in the department?
10. Who is Hi Barker? What does he know about Sasha Nijinsky? What deal is struck between Stone and Barker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Stone is forced to retire from the NYPD, Leary offers no comfort. It is clear that Stone was being forced out because he is more or less an outcast in the department. Write a 750 word essay on this situation. Why is Stone being forced out? Do you think Leary had the doctor's report changed? Why does Stone stick out like a sore thumb? Do people deal with Stone just because of Dino? What does Leary have to say about Stone's cooperation with the other cops and the department as a whole? How would you feel in Stone's place?
Essay Topic 2
Stone Barrington is a New York City cop by profession; Lieutenant Leary has police work in his veins. Compare and contrast the men's personalities, careers, training, and demeanor. Which is the better cop? Which was most effective in the Nijinsky case? Who was the least effective? Why? What might Barrington and/or Bacchetti done better to resolve the case sooner? Do you think the police will ever know everything about the Nijinsky case, Barron Harkness, Van Fleet and Scoop Berman?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of Elaine's on Second Avenue. Why is Elaine's famous? What types of people go to Elaine's? Are Stone and Dino regulars at the restaurant? Who is Elaine Kaufman? Describe Elaine's personality. Describe the relationship between Stone and Elaine. Why is Elaine Kaufman famous? What about Elaine's seems to be a big draw to New Yorkers and tourists alike?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)