|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bella wakes up after returning from Italy, what emotion does she tell Edward he needs to let go of?
2. Why does Bella storm into the Black house after her dream?
3. What notable thing does Edward say to Bella on the flight back to Seattle from Italy?
4. What shirt is Edward wearing when Bella sees him for the first time in the square?
5. Who is on the other end of the phone when Jacob makes his rude comment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Edward to realize his mistake in leaving Bella behind in Forks?
2. How does Edward react when he sees Bella for the first time in the square in Italy?
3. What is the "fire" that Bella sees streak by the cliffs after she jumps off of them and is heading home?
4. What character are the Volturi men completely submissive to when Bella and Edward meet them for the first time in the town square?
5. Why doesn't Bella answer Edward's question about getting married?
6. When Bella overhears Alice and Charlie talking, what does Bella learn about Charlie's concerns for her?
7. Why does Jacob disappear during Bella's spring break?
8. Why does Bella go cliff diving alone?
9. What does Jacob report about who wins in a vampire/werewolf fight?
10. What are the large group of human tourists waiting outside the underground room going to be used for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a point in _New Moon_ where the fantasy aspect, mythical creatures, and series of events become completely unbelievable? If so, discuss the moment when this happens and what 3 things contribute to this shift. If not, discuss at least 3 literary devices (with quotations from the text) that Meyer does to keep the reader engaged in and connected with a novel about fantastical creatures and events.
Essay Topic 2
Is Bella's hesitancy to get married surprising or not surprising for her character? Using direct quotes from the text, analyze her hesitancy around the topic of marriage and how this hesitancy either goes along with or goes against her character.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast 2 characters in _New Moon_ and their self-control -- or lack of self-control -- in the story.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)