|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bella compare Edward and Jacob to?
2. Why is Alice tense when Bella sees her in her house after the cliff-diving incident?
3. What kind of car does Alice steal in Italy?
4. Where do the wolves want Bella and Charlie to be while they hunt Victoria?
5. Why is the main plaza in Volterra closed when Alice and Bella try to get there to stop Edward?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bella overhears Alice and Charlie talking, what does Bella learn about Charlie's concerns for her?
2. What causes Edward to realize his mistake in leaving Bella behind in Forks?
3. What is the "fire" that Bella sees streak by the cliffs after she jumps off of them and is heading home?
4. Why does Edward not mind filling out college applications with Bella?
5. Why does Bella get into even more trouble when she tries to explain where she's been to Charlie?
6. How does Bella misinterpret Jacob's comment that the people hunting for the wolves in the forest will be dead if they aren't careful?
7. How does Bella interpret Edward's refusal to kiss her on the lips as he comforts her after the encounter in the underground chamber in Italy?
8. Why is Edward going to Italy?
9. Who does Bella decide to be with romantically -- Edward or Jacob -- after she jumps off the cliff?
10. What are the Volturi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the reader supposed to believe that Bella really hears Edward's voice in her head, or is the reader supposed to believe that Bella is hallucinating? Provide at least 3 examples and direct quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
List 3 literary devices that Meyer uses to build tension in _New Moon_. Use at least 3 different instances where she builds tension, and use direct quotes and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
What function does Bella hearing Edward's voice in her head serve in the text? What does it allow Meyer to do that she, as an author, may not otherwise be able to do within the novel?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)