|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the bruises under Edward's eyes indicate?
2. Which colleges do Edward and Bella fill out applications for?
3. Who does Edward confess he has been tracking the entire time he has been gone from Forks?
4. Whose smart thinking allows Edward, Alice, and Bella to leave the Volturi alive?
5. What do Bella and Edward negotiate as he takes her back to her house after the vote?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bella go cliff diving alone?
2. What is the "fire" that Bella sees streak by the cliffs after she jumps off of them and is heading home?
3. Who does Bella decide to be with romantically -- Edward or Jacob -- after she jumps off the cliff?
4. When Bella overhears Alice and Charlie talking, what does Bella learn about Charlie's concerns for her?
5. According to _New Moon_, what is Saint Marcus Day?
6. Why does Bella get into even more trouble when she tries to explain where she's been to Charlie?
7. Why does Jacob disappear during Bella's spring break?
8. What are the large group of human tourists waiting outside the underground room going to be used for?
9. How does Bella interpret Edward's refusal to kiss her on the lips as he comforts her after the encounter in the underground chamber in Italy?
10. Why does the idea of aging bother Bella so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give 3 reasons why Meyer chooses the settings that she does in _New Moon_ and how they contribute to the text. Make sure to address at least 2 different settings.
Essay Topic 2
Although usually only on the periphery, religion makes an appearance several times in _New Moon_. Discuss the role of religion in the novel and the role it plays within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Blood plays a crucial, major role in _New Moon_. Discuss the symbolism of blood within the text and 3 literary devices Meyer uses to convey this meaning.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)