|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Edward and Bella talk about during the flight back to Seattle from Italy?
2. Who loses his temper and tries to attack Bella as a werewolf?
3. What do Bella and Edward negotiate as he takes her back to her house after the vote?
4. How do Sam and the rest of the La Push gang feel about Jacob hanging out with Bella?
5. What does Bella agree about her choice to jump off the cliff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Edward think that Bella is dead?
2. Why doesn't Bella answer Edward's question about getting married?
3. How does Bella interpret Edward's refusal to kiss her on the lips as he comforts her after the encounter in the underground chamber in Italy?
4. How does Bella misinterpret Jacob's comment that the people hunting for the wolves in the forest will be dead if they aren't careful?
5. What does Jacob report about who wins in a vampire/werewolf fight?
6. What does Bella think of Emily and Sam's relationship?
7. Why does Alice return to Forks?
8. When Bella overhears Alice and Charlie talking, what does Bella learn about Charlie's concerns for her?
9. What are the large group of human tourists waiting outside the underground room going to be used for?
10. Why does Bella get into even more trouble when she tries to explain where she's been to Charlie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bella is continually torn between her love for Edward and her love for Jacob. Write an argument paper with a strong thesis that states which person Bella should choose -- and why.
Essay Topic 2
The clearing is a location where many significant events happen in Bella's life. Discuss 1) the symbolism of the clearing, 2) what it means to Bella, and 3) what function the clearing plays in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Is there a point in _New Moon_ where the fantasy aspect, mythical creatures, and series of events become completely unbelievable? If so, discuss the moment when this happens and what 3 things contribute to this shift. If not, discuss at least 3 literary devices (with quotations from the text) that Meyer does to keep the reader engaged in and connected with a novel about fantastical creatures and events.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)