|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Aro?
2. What is the name of the young girl that all of the Volturi seem to cower to?
3. How does Charlie react to seeing Alice in his house after Harry dies?
4. What does Bella overhear Charlie and Alice talking about?
5. How does Alice respond to seeing Bella walk through the door after the cliff-diving incident?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to _New Moon_, what is Saint Marcus Day?
2. How does Edward react when he sees Bella for the first time in the square in Italy?
3. Why does Bella get into even more trouble when she tries to explain where she's been to Charlie?
4. Why does Edward think that Bella is dead?
5. Why does Bella go cliff diving alone?
6. Why doesn't Bella sleep on the plane back to Seattle from Italy?
7. How does Bella interpret Edward's refusal to kiss her on the lips as he comforts her after the encounter in the underground chamber in Italy?
8. Who does Bella decide to be with romantically -- Edward or Jacob -- after she jumps off the cliff?
9. What character are the Volturi men completely submissive to when Bella and Edward meet them for the first time in the town square?
10. Why did Sam attack Emily and leave the scars on her face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List 3 literary devices that Meyer uses to build tension in _New Moon_. Use at least 3 different instances where she builds tension, and use direct quotes and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Is there a point in _New Moon_ where the fantasy aspect, mythical creatures, and series of events become completely unbelievable? If so, discuss the moment when this happens and what 3 things contribute to this shift. If not, discuss at least 3 literary devices (with quotations from the text) that Meyer does to keep the reader engaged in and connected with a novel about fantastical creatures and events.
Essay Topic 3
Blood plays a crucial, major role in _New Moon_. Discuss the symbolism of blood within the text and 3 literary devices Meyer uses to convey this meaning.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)