|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What birthday gift does Bella receive from her mother?
2. Why don't Edward and Bella kiss more often?
3. As Bella heads toward the clock tower in the Preface, what is the square like?
4. What birthday gift does Bella receive from her father?
5. What makes Bella giggle for the first time in months (after Edward has broken up with her)?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charlie threaten Bella with being sent back to live with her mother?
2. What does Edward believe happens to a person's soul when he or she becomes a vampire?
3. What time period (past, present, or future) does the Preface take place in?
4. What kind of feeling is overwhelming Bella in the Preface to _New Moon_?
5. What makes it possible for Carlisle to be a doctor?
6. Why is being sent back to live with her mother more than Bella can bear?
7. What exactly is Bella rushing to do in the Preface?
8. Why does Bella become concerned about how Jacob responds to the flu that is going around?
9. What sensation does Bella get when she is back in her room after Edward calls of their relationship?
10. Why does Edward NOT let Bella say goodbye to Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a point in _New Moon_ where the fantasy aspect, mythical creatures, and series of events become completely unbelievable? If so, discuss the moment when this happens and what 3 things contribute to this shift. If not, discuss at least 3 literary devices (with quotations from the text) that Meyer does to keep the reader engaged in and connected with a novel about fantastical creatures and events.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Bella and Edward's craving and desire for each other. Make sure to address why the solution to their desire, while seemingly so simple, is indeed very complicated. Additionally, make sure to use quotations directly from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Blood plays a crucial, major role in _New Moon_. Discuss the symbolism of blood within the text and 3 literary devices Meyer uses to convey this meaning.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)