|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bella notice about Jacob as he hugs her goodbye after he sneaks in to see her through her window?
2. How does Bella get a paper cut on her birthday?
3. Who scratches on Bella's window as she is crying herself to sleep?
4. Who is the first person Bella takes a picture of with the camera she got for her birthday?
5. Why had Jessica become a bit weary of Bella during the months after Edward broke up with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of feeling is overwhelming Bella in the Preface to _New Moon_?
2. Why does Charlie threaten Bella with being sent back to live with her mother?
3. What time period (past, present, or future) does the Preface take place in?
4. Why does Bella decide to confide in Charlie about her fears that Jacob may have been forced into a cult led by Sam?
5. Why does Bella buy the motorcycles she finds on the side of the road?
6. Why does Jasper keep his distance from Bella at her birthday party?
7. Why is Carlisle able to control himself around Bella when she is bleeding so heavily from her arm?
8. What impression does Bella get about her request of Carlisle to be made a vampire?
9. What anniversary does Bella think about when she starts to snap out of her funk after Edward leaves her?
10. What does Bella notice about Jacob when he takes his shirt off to stop her head wound from bleeding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the reader supposed to believe that Bella really hears Edward's voice in her head, or is the reader supposed to believe that Bella is hallucinating? Provide at least 3 examples and direct quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Is there a point in _New Moon_ where the fantasy aspect, mythical creatures, and series of events become completely unbelievable? If so, discuss the moment when this happens and what 3 things contribute to this shift. If not, discuss at least 3 literary devices (with quotations from the text) that Meyer does to keep the reader engaged in and connected with a novel about fantastical creatures and events.
Essay Topic 3
Although usually only on the periphery, religion makes an appearance several times in _New Moon_. Discuss the role of religion in the novel and the role it plays within the text.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)