|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What birthday is Bella celebrating when the book opens?
2. As Bella is coming to after being dumped by Edward, what complaint does Charlie get on the phone?
3. What are the tickets for that Edward gives Bella for her birthday?
4. Who asks Bella on her first date after she and Edward break up?
5. Who is the author of _New Moon_?
Short Essay Questions
1. What special gift does Alice have?
2. What time period (past, present, or future) does the Preface take place in?
3. How does Bella offer to prove to Jacob that she enjoys his company (after he finishes fixing up the motorcycles)?
4. Why is being sent back to live with her mother more than Bella can bear?
5. Why does Bella buy the motorcycles she finds on the side of the road?
6. Before heading to Bella's birthday party, when does Edward confess to her that he considered suicide?
7. What strange dream does Bella have about Sam Uley?
8. What makes it possible for Carlisle to be a doctor?
9. How does Bella feel when she reaches the clearing during her hike alone?
10. What is preventing Jacob from telling Bella his big secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Bella and Edward's craving and desire for each other. Make sure to address why the solution to their desire, while seemingly so simple, is indeed very complicated. Additionally, make sure to use quotations directly from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Bella is continually torn between her love for Edward and her love for Jacob. Write an argument paper with a strong thesis that states which person Bella should choose -- and why.
Essay Topic 3
Is there a point in _New Moon_ where the fantasy aspect, mythical creatures, and series of events become completely unbelievable? If so, discuss the moment when this happens and what 3 things contribute to this shift. If not, discuss at least 3 literary devices (with quotations from the text) that Meyer does to keep the reader engaged in and connected with a novel about fantastical creatures and events.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)