|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the first time Bella tries to ride her motorcycle?
2. Who is Harry Clearwater?
3. Who is the first person Bella takes a picture of with the camera she got for her birthday?
4. In the Preface, who does Bella say surrounds her and Alice?
5. What does Jacob tell Bella the clutch of a motorcycle is like when he is teaching her how to ride?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes it possible for Carlisle to be a doctor?
2. What strange dream does Bella have about Sam Uley?
3. What remedy does Bella need for the injuries she gets during her first motorcycle ride?
4. Why does Bella decide to head out on her own and hike to the clearing?
5. Why is Carlisle able to control himself around Bella when she is bleeding so heavily from her arm?
6. What does Edward believe happens to a person's soul when he or she becomes a vampire?
7. What time period (past, present, or future) does the Preface take place in?
8. Why does Jasper keep his distance from Bella at her birthday party?
9. Why is Chapter 9 called "Third Wheel"?
10. How does Bella end up injuring her arm during her birthday party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give 3 reasons why Meyer chooses the settings that she does in _New Moon_ and how they contribute to the text. Make sure to address at least 2 different settings.
Essay Topic 2
At one point in _New Moon_, Bella decides that she loves Edward and Jacob because love is not rational. Discuss 1) whether or not this is true for Bella and 2) how the truth or falsity of this statement manifests in Bella's relationship with the two boys. Make sure to use examples and citations from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Choose at least 3 dreams that are described in _New Moon_ and analyze the symbolism and/or foreshadowing that is present in each dream.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)