|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Preface, what does Bella say she feels like she is trapped in?
2. Why are Bella's friends so surprised when she contributes to the conversation about people seeing bears out in the woods?
3. In the Preface, what is trapping Alice?
4. Who protects Bella from Jasper's attack on her birthday?
5. Why does Bella invite Jessica to see a zombie movie with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of feeling is overwhelming Bella in the Preface to _New Moon_?
2. How does Bella end up injuring her arm during her birthday party?
3. Why is being sent back to live with her mother more than Bella can bear?
4. What time period (past, present, or future) does the Preface take place in?
5. What reason does Jacob give Bella about why they cannot be friends anymore?
6. What does Edward believe happens to a person's soul when he or she becomes a vampire?
7. What is preventing Jacob from telling Bella his big secret?
8. Why does Bella buy the motorcycles she finds on the side of the road?
9. After her birthday, why does Bella promise herself to stay away from the Cullen family?
10. Why is Carlisle able to control himself around Bella when she is bleeding so heavily from her arm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bella is continually torn between her love for Edward and her love for Jacob. Write an argument paper with a strong thesis that states which person Bella should choose -- and why.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Bella and Edward's craving and desire for each other. Make sure to address why the solution to their desire, while seemingly so simple, is indeed very complicated. Additionally, make sure to use quotations directly from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Although usually only on the periphery, religion makes an appearance several times in _New Moon_. Discuss the role of religion in the novel and the role it plays within the text.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)