|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Jacob physically changed from when Bella last saw him at the movie theater?
2. What does Bella call her father behind his back?
3. How did Bella get the scar Jacob sees at the movie theater?
4. In the Preface, who does Bella say surrounds her and Alice?
5. What animal in the woods fleetingly reminds Bella of Jacob, after the meeting with Laurent?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Edward calls off their relationship, what does Bella notice is missing from her room?
2. Why is being sent back to live with her mother more than Bella can bear?
3. After her birthday, why does Bella promise herself to stay away from the Cullen family?
4. What makes it possible for Carlisle to be a doctor?
5. How does Bella offer to prove to Jacob that she enjoys his company (after he finishes fixing up the motorcycles)?
6. Why does Bella become concerned about how Jacob responds to the flu that is going around?
7. Why does Jasper keep his distance from Bella at her birthday party?
8. What exactly is Bella rushing to do in the Preface?
9. In the Preface, what does Bella imply might be lost if she does not reach her goal?
10. Why does Bella buy the motorcycles she finds on the side of the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List 3 literary devices that Meyer uses to build tension in _New Moon_. Use at least 3 different instances where she builds tension, and use direct quotes and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
_Romeo and Juliet_ continually surfaces in _New Moon_ directly (through Edward and Bella's thoughts and actions) and indirectly (through common themes and situations). Compare and contrast the two couples (i.e. Romeo & Juliet and Edward and Bella) and what happens to their relationships in each text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bella and Edward's craving and desire for each other. Make sure to address why the solution to their desire, while seemingly so simple, is indeed very complicated. Additionally, make sure to use quotations directly from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)