|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Carlisle able to fix up Bella's injured arm?
2. What treatment does Bella's injured arm need?
3. By what time must Bella get to the clock tower in the novel's Preface?
4. What causes Bella to NOT hear Edward's voice as much during her motorcycle rides?
5. How does Bella describe her feet in the Preface?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Edward calls off their relationship, what does Bella notice is missing from her room?
2. Why does Charlie threaten Bella with being sent back to live with her mother?
3. What kind of feeling is overwhelming Bella in the Preface to _New Moon_?
4. What exactly is Bella rushing to do in the Preface?
5. Why does Bella become concerned about how Jacob responds to the flu that is going around?
6. How does Bella offer to prove to Jacob that she enjoys his company (after he finishes fixing up the motorcycles)?
7. What anniversary does Bella think about when she starts to snap out of her funk after Edward leaves her?
8. What is preventing Jacob from telling Bella his big secret?
9. Why does Jasper keep his distance from Bella at her birthday party?
10. Why is being sent back to live with her mother more than Bella can bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The clearing is a location where many significant events happen in Bella's life. Discuss 1) the symbolism of the clearing, 2) what it means to Bella, and 3) what function the clearing plays in the text.
Essay Topic 2
What function does Bella hearing Edward's voice in her head serve in the text? What does it allow Meyer to do that she, as an author, may not otherwise be able to do within the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Is the reader supposed to believe that Bella really hears Edward's voice in her head, or is the reader supposed to believe that Bella is hallucinating? Provide at least 3 examples and direct quotations from the text to support your position.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)