|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carlisle say about why he turned Edward into a vampire?
2. What does Edward's voice (in her head) tell Bella to do about Laurent in the meadow?
3. Where does Bella go to celebrate her birthday?
4. What are the tickets for that Edward gives Bella for her birthday?
5. Where does Bella wander to after Edward dumps her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is preventing Jacob from telling Bella his big secret?
2. What remedy does Bella need for the injuries she gets during her first motorcycle ride?
3. Why is being sent back to live with her mother more than Bella can bear?
4. What deal does Bella make with Jacob about fixing up the motorcycles?
5. In the Preface, what does Bella imply might be lost if she does not reach her goal?
6. After her birthday, why does Bella promise herself to stay away from the Cullen family?
7. How does Bella offer to prove to Jacob that she enjoys his company (after he finishes fixing up the motorcycles)?
8. What makes it possible for Carlisle to be a doctor?
9. What anniversary does Bella think about when she starts to snap out of her funk after Edward leaves her?
10. Why does Bella struggle with telling Jacob that people are going to be out trying to hunt the wolves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although usually only on the periphery, religion makes an appearance several times in _New Moon_. Discuss the role of religion in the novel and the role it plays within the text.
Essay Topic 2
_Romeo and Juliet_ continually surfaces in _New Moon_ directly (through Edward and Bella's thoughts and actions) and indirectly (through common themes and situations). Compare and contrast the two couples (i.e. Romeo & Juliet and Edward and Bella) and what happens to their relationships in each text.
Essay Topic 3
At one point in _New Moon_, Bella decides that she loves Edward and Jacob because love is not rational. Discuss 1) whether or not this is true for Bella and 2) how the truth or falsity of this statement manifests in Bella's relationship with the two boys. Make sure to use examples and citations from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)