Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the tickets for that Edward gives Bella for her birthday?
2. What birthday is Bella celebrating when the book opens?
3. What treatment does Bella's injured arm need?
4. How long has Bella's grandmother been dead when the book opens?
5. In the Preface, how does time pass for Bella?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bella decide to head out on her own and hike to the clearing?
2. Why does Jacob disappear during Bella's spring break?
3. Why does Bella struggle with telling Jacob that people are going to be out trying to hunt the wolves?
4. What makes it possible for Carlisle to be a doctor?
5. Why does Bella get into even more trouble when she tries to explain where she's been to Charlie?
6. Why does Jasper keep his distance from Bella at her birthday party?
7. What deal does Bella make with Jacob about fixing up the motorcycles?
8. What time period (past, present, or future) does the Preface take place in?
9. What reason does Jacob give Bella about why they cannot be friends anymore?
10. How does Bella end up injuring her arm during her birthday party?
Essay Topic 1
Is there a point in _New Moon_ where the fantasy aspect, mythical creatures, and series of events become completely unbelievable? If so, discuss the moment when this happens and what 3 things contribute to this shift. If not, discuss at least 3 literary devices (with quotations from the text) that Meyer does to keep the reader engaged in and connected with a novel about fantastical creatures and events.
Essay Topic 2
Bella is continually torn between her love for Edward and her love for Jacob. Write an argument paper with a strong thesis that states which person Bella should choose -- and why.
Essay Topic 3
Is the reader supposed to believe that Bella really hears Edward's voice in her head, or is the reader supposed to believe that Bella is hallucinating? Provide at least 3 examples and direct quotations from the text to support your position.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)