|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What friends of Jacob does Bella meet while they are working on the motorcycles?
2. What does Bella notice about Edward's body while they are kissing?
3. Who is the author of _New Moon_?
4. In the Preface, how does time pass for Bella?
5. What animals are local hikers surprised to hear are being found in the woods in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is being sent back to live with her mother more than Bella can bear?
2. What deal does Bella make with Jacob about fixing up the motorcycles?
3. What does Edward believe happens to a person's soul when he or she becomes a vampire?
4. Why is Carlisle able to control himself around Bella when she is bleeding so heavily from her arm?
5. After her birthday, why does Bella promise herself to stay away from the Cullen family?
6. Why does Bella become concerned about how Jacob responds to the flu that is going around?
7. In the Preface, what does Bella imply might be lost if she does not reach her goal?
8. How does Bella offer to prove to Jacob that she enjoys his company (after he finishes fixing up the motorcycles)?
9. Why does Bella decide to head out on her own and hike to the clearing?
10. Why does Edward NOT let Bella say goodbye to Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a point in _New Moon_ where the fantasy aspect, mythical creatures, and series of events become completely unbelievable? If so, discuss the moment when this happens and what 3 things contribute to this shift. If not, discuss at least 3 literary devices (with quotations from the text) that Meyer does to keep the reader engaged in and connected with a novel about fantastical creatures and events.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Bella and Edward's craving and desire for each other. Make sure to address why the solution to their desire, while seemingly so simple, is indeed very complicated. Additionally, make sure to use quotations directly from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Choose 3 instances of foreshadowing in _New Moon_ and discuss 1) how Meyer foreshadows what is to come, 2) what Meyer foreshadows, and 3) when the thing that is being foreshadowed actually happens.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)