|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Bella is coming to after being dumped by Edward, what complaint does Charlie get on the phone?
2. In the days after her birthday party, why does Bella decide she must run away with Edward?
3. Thinking she has failed in her mission, what does Bella says she forfeits in the Preface?
4. What health concern does Harry have?
5. Who does Bella see along the side of the road as she drives to Jacob's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bella decide to confide in Charlie about her fears that Jacob may have been forced into a cult led by Sam?
2. Before heading to Bella's birthday party, when does Edward confess to her that he considered suicide?
3. Why does Bella struggle with telling Jacob that people are going to be out trying to hunt the wolves?
4. Why does Bella not look inside the abandoned Cullen house when she goes to see it?
5. Why does Bella decide to head out on her own and hike to the clearing?
6. What does Bella notice about Jacob when he takes his shirt off to stop her head wound from bleeding?
7. How does Bella feel when she reaches the clearing during her hike alone?
8. How does Bella offer to prove to Jacob that she enjoys his company (after he finishes fixing up the motorcycles)?
9. What reason does Jacob give Bella about why they cannot be friends anymore?
10. Why is being sent back to live with her mother more than Bella can bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout _New Moon_, Meyer gives very specific titles to the chapters. Choose 5 chapters and discuss why Meyer chooses to name those chapters as she does.
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least 3 dreams that are described in _New Moon_ and analyze the symbolism and/or foreshadowing that is present in each dream.
Essay Topic 3
The clearing is a location where many significant events happen in Bella's life. Discuss 1) the symbolism of the clearing, 2) what it means to Bella, and 3) what function the clearing plays in the text.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)