|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Preface, what is trapping Alice?
2. As Bella heads toward the clock tower in the Preface, what is the square like?
3. Where does Bella place all of the pictures she takes with her new camera?
4. How does Bella get a paper cut on her birthday?
5. In Chapter 7, which friend of Jacob's was recently recruited to the La Push gang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bella decide to confide in Charlie about her fears that Jacob may have been forced into a cult led by Sam?
2. How does Bella end up injuring her arm during her birthday party?
3. After Edward calls off their relationship, what does Bella notice is missing from her room?
4. What makes it possible for Carlisle to be a doctor?
5. What kind of feeling is overwhelming Bella in the Preface to _New Moon_?
6. Why does Bella buy the motorcycles she finds on the side of the road?
7. Why is Chapter 9 called "Third Wheel"?
8. Before heading to Bella's birthday party, when does Edward confess to her that he considered suicide?
9. What is preventing Jacob from telling Bella his big secret?
10. What anniversary does Bella think about when she starts to snap out of her funk after Edward leaves her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the reader supposed to believe that Bella really hears Edward's voice in her head, or is the reader supposed to believe that Bella is hallucinating? Provide at least 3 examples and direct quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Is there a point in _New Moon_ where the fantasy aspect, mythical creatures, and series of events become completely unbelievable? If so, discuss the moment when this happens and what 3 things contribute to this shift. If not, discuss at least 3 literary devices (with quotations from the text) that Meyer does to keep the reader engaged in and connected with a novel about fantastical creatures and events.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout _New Moon_, Meyer gives very specific titles to the chapters. Choose 5 chapters and discuss why Meyer chooses to name those chapters as she does.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)