|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury does Bella have as her birthday festivities come to a close in Chapter 1?
2. Who plays the background music on a CD that Edward gives Bella?
3. What happens the first time Bella tries to ride her motorcycle?
4. Which members of the Cullen family leave town immediately after Bella's birthday party?
5. How long has Bella's grandmother been dead when the book opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jasper keep his distance from Bella at her birthday party?
2. In the Preface, what does Bella imply might be lost if she does not reach her goal?
3. What does Bella notice about Jacob when he takes his shirt off to stop her head wound from bleeding?
4. Why does Bella become concerned about how Jacob responds to the flu that is going around?
5. Why does Edward NOT let Bella say goodbye to Alice?
6. Why does Bella decide to head out on her own and hike to the clearing?
7. What makes it possible for Carlisle to be a doctor?
8. Why is Chapter 9 called "Third Wheel"?
9. What remedy does Bella need for the injuries she gets during her first motorcycle ride?
10. What reason does Jacob give Bella about why they cannot be friends anymore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What function does Bella hearing Edward's voice in her head serve in the text? What does it allow Meyer to do that she, as an author, may not otherwise be able to do within the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast 2 characters in _New Moon_ and their self-control -- or lack of self-control -- in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss 3 benefits and 3 challenges that Meyer, as an author, has by choosing to create characters with the ability to see the future. Use examples and citations from the text to support each argument.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)