|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Bella bear to watch the zombie movie when it first starts?
2. Who is Harry Clearwater?
3. What health concern does Harry have?
4. In the Preface, who does Bella say surrounds her and Alice?
5. What does Edward make Bella promise him as he is breaking up with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bella interpret Edward's refusal to kiss her on the lips as he comforts her after the encounter in the underground chamber in Italy?
2. What does Jacob report about who wins in a vampire/werewolf fight?
3. What does Bella think of Emily and Sam's relationship?
4. What is preventing Jacob from telling Bella his big secret?
5. Why doesn't Bella answer Edward's question about getting married?
6. Why does Alice return to Forks?
7. Why does Bella decide to confide in Charlie about her fears that Jacob may have been forced into a cult led by Sam?
8. What time period (past, present, or future) does the Preface take place in?
9. What treaty do the vampires and the werewolves have with each other in Forks?
10. Why did Sam attack Emily and leave the scars on her face?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast 2 characters in _New Moon_ and their self-control -- or lack of self-control -- in the story.
Essay Topic 2
The clearing is a location where many significant events happen in Bella's life. Discuss 1) the symbolism of the clearing, 2) what it means to Bella, and 3) what function the clearing plays in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Jacob and Bella. Make sure to address how it changes over the course of the novel, what it provides for each character, and how it is positive and/or negative for each character. Additionally, make sure to use quotations directly from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)