|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The crew was perplexed by the number of _______ use by the islanders.
2. In the beginning of the work, sailors departed from which country?
3. The governor told the sailors that the island had been saving money for _____ years.
4. The Americans were also a young people, younger than the rest of the world by _____ years.
5. Which of the following decayed in the rest of the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the governor's advice regarding the sailors' thoughts of America?
2. What happened after the sailors made the request to go ashore? How long did it take for the sailors to get the response?
3. What did Atlantis, Peru and Mexico have in common at that time? What alternate names are used for these countries?
4. What did the sailors offer in return for lodgings, food, and medical care? What was the response received by the person in charge?
5. Why was the governor grateful and amused by the sailor's question?
6. Who arrived on the fourth day? What was his purpose?
7. Discuss the oath that was required for the sailors to go ashore.
8. What was the governor's explanation to the sailor's question?
9. What did the governor say about the various cultures and their ships?
10. What happened the next morning after the sailors settled into their assigned lodgings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friedrich Nietzsche had a great deal to say about nature's part in philosophy. Read a biography on Nietzsche to learn about his career, philosophy and thoughts on nature. Compare them to those held by Bacon.
Essay Topic 2
Write a 1000 word essay on Atlantis. Refer to the text as well as outside resources. Include your opinion on the myths surrounding Atlantis. Was Atlantis real or fictional?
Essay Topic 3
Bacon sees the debates between philosophers as being relatively useless. Why? What about the debates does not help man move forward? Bacon mentions several schools of thought that could easily spawn heated debates. Examine these topics. Also use references in the text to structure a debate on old logic versus new logic, the wisdom of the ancients versus modern philosophy.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)