|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the sailors taken to be given medical treatment?
2. The crew was perplexed by the number of _______ use by the islanders.
3. How many weeks were the sailors permitted to stay ashore?
4. In which body of water did the ship go astray?
5. How many days did it take from the time the sailors spotted land until they reached a port?
Essay Topic 1
Write a 750 word essay on King Solamona and the founding and purpose of Salomon's House as it is relayed in the story.
Essay Topic 2
In both works, Bacon makes several references to phenomena. In "The Great Instauration," phenomena can be seen as a product of superstition or logic. In "New Atlantis," is it a phenomenon that causes the people of Renfusa and Bensalem to convert to Christianity. Examine Bacon's thoughts on phenomena in both stories and how each in its own way affects man's thoughts and philosophy.
Essay Topic 3
The governor feels very strongly about the rules attached to morality on Bensalem. List some of the rules regarding piety, morality and chastity held by the government of Bensalem. Compare them to the same thoughts in other countries, particularly in Europe. Explain why the governor feels so strongly about this topic.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)