|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sailor's name for Atlantis?
2. The people realize that once they got as close as ____ yards they could not move.
3. The name of the island means "offspring of ____, safety and completeness" in Hebrew.
4. It is said that the King's greatest act was to found an order called Salomon's House. The house is often referred to as being the ____ foundation on the earth.
5. Some of the Islanders believed that man would be willing to discard ____ for a better offer.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened the next day when the governor visited again?
2. What is said about Atlantis at this point?
3. What incident most likely caused Atlantic to be destroyed?
4. What did the governor have to say regarding navigation and its changes?
5. What did Atlantis, Peru and Mexico have in common at that time? What alternate names are used for these countries?
6. What was the governor's explanation to the sailor's question?
7. Describe the food brought to the sailors at the Stranger's House.
8. Explain the voyage from Peru and the problems encountered by the sailors on that voyage.
9. What did the governor say about the various cultures and their ships?
10. Who arrived on the fourth day? What was his purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bacon refuted a lot of ideas put forth by the ancient Greeks. Discuss in detail the issues Bacon had with the Greeks' development and use of logic, mainly syllogism.
Essay Topic 2
Navigation is referred to in several ways throughout the text. The Governor of Bensalem said it was harder to navigate because the earth was growing larger. What does this mean? Did the governor think that the earth was getting bigger, or that it was harder to navigate because more places were being explored and inhabited? How did the sailors react to the comment? What forms of navigation were used at that time? How has navigation changed since 1612?
Essay Topic 3
Write a 1000 word essay on Atlantis. Refer to the text as well as outside resources. Include your opinion on the myths surrounding Atlantis. Was Atlantis real or fictional?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)