|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The crew was perplexed by the number of _______ use by the islanders.
2. The work was presented in such a way that it was written in the native tongue for all but which group?
3. In the beginning of the work, sailors departed from which country?
4. It was believed that the Americans were a small and ____ people.
5. The King's country was approximately _____ miles in circumference.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the oath that was required for the sailors to go ashore.
2. What incident most likely caused Atlantic to be destroyed?
3. Why was the governor grateful and amused by the sailor's question?
4. What happened the next morning after the sailors settled into their assigned lodgings?
5. How did the governor explain the islanders' conversion to Christianity?
6. Explain the voyage from Peru and the problems encountered by the sailors on that voyage.
7. What was the governor's advice regarding the sailors' thoughts of America?
8. What was the first thing asked of the governor?
9. What happened after the sailors made the request to go ashore? How long did it take for the sailors to get the response?
10. What is said about Atlantis at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Observation is the biggest key to developing logic, reason and results. What does Bacon say about observation? What is more important - observation or natural history? Can one work without the other in regards to forming a philosophy? Explain. Examine why Bacon takes issue with observation using the senses. Discuss how Bacon thought observation should be conducted and how the information should be used.
Essay Topic 2
Navigation is referred to in several ways throughout the text. The Governor of Bensalem said it was harder to navigate because the earth was growing larger. What does this mean? Did the governor think that the earth was getting bigger, or that it was harder to navigate because more places were being explored and inhabited? How did the sailors react to the comment? What forms of navigation were used at that time? How has navigation changed since 1612?
Essay Topic 3
Write a detailed short story from the point of view of one of the sailors when landing on Bensalem. Explore every aspect of the island from the food to the terrain, animals, hosts, and climate. Incorporate characters from the text in a new and unique way.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)