|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sailors communicated with the islanders in which language?
2. Which of the following countries is not mentioned in the text?
3. When the pillar of light broke up it turned in to which of the following:
4. This philosopher described Atlantis in the ________.
5. According to the text, it took ____ years for Atlantis to be destroyed.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the governor's explanation to the sailor's question?
2. What two great expeditions were taken by the sailors of Coya and Tyrambel?
3. What was the first thing asked of the governor?
4. Why was the governor grateful and amused by the sailor's question?
5. Who was King Solamona? Why was he important?
6. What did the sailors offer in return for lodgings, food, and medical care? What was the response received by the person in charge?
7. Discuss the landing at Bensalem.
8. Discuss the oath that was required for the sailors to go ashore.
9. Describe the food brought to the sailors at the Stranger's House.
10. What happened after the sailors made the request to go ashore? How long did it take for the sailors to get the response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twenty years after the ascension of Christ, the people of Renfusa saw some unidentified phenomena on the water. Explain the phenomena as much as possible. Could the phenomena be explained using today's scientific methods? Do you believe there was a force field or paralyzing force attached to the phenomena? Could it have been mass hallucination? What was left behind after the light disappeared?
Essay Topic 2
In both works, Bacon makes several references to phenomena. In "The Great Instauration," phenomena can be seen as a product of superstition or logic. In "New Atlantis," is it a phenomenon that causes the people of Renfusa and Bensalem to convert to Christianity. Examine Bacon's thoughts on phenomena in both stories and how each in its own way affects man's thoughts and philosophy.
Essay Topic 3
Plato and Aristotle were the two main philosophers referred to by Bacon. All three men are highly revered as brilliant men and philosophers. Compare and contrast Bacon, Plato and Aristotle.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)