|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was banned on the island?
2. Other position was held by the island's governor?
3. Which famous philosopher reported the prosperity of Atlantis?
4. What name is given to the person in this position?
5. Which of the following was delivered to the ship by a small greeting party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two great expeditions were taken by the sailors of Coya and Tyrambel?
2. Why was the governor grateful and amused by the sailor's question?
3. What happened the next day when the governor visited again?
4. How did the governor explain the islanders' conversion to Christianity?
5. What did the governor have to say regarding navigation and its changes?
6. What is said about Atlantis at this point?
7. How did the author describe the Stranger's House?
8. What was the governor's advice regarding the sailors' thoughts of America?
9. Discuss the landing at Bensalem.
10. What was required of the sailors before they were permitted to go ashore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Navigation is referred to in several ways throughout the text. The Governor of Bensalem said it was harder to navigate because the earth was growing larger. What does this mean? Did the governor think that the earth was getting bigger, or that it was harder to navigate because more places were being explored and inhabited? How did the sailors react to the comment? What forms of navigation were used at that time? How has navigation changed since 1612?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the journey taken by the sailors. What was the purpose of the journey? Where was the departure point? What was the destination point? What type of ship was used for the voyage? What was the purpose? What were some of the issues faced on the open sea? Do you think that the ship may have been able to stay on course if it had been commanded by someone else? Do you think that the ship would have returned to port if the second set of winds had not pushed them north? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Bacon has a great deal to say about nature. Nature offers clues to man as to how things work in a logical sense. Should nature be trusted over ideas and/or reason? Explain. What types of clues can man receive from nature? Why does Bacon say that man is nature's servant? Do you believe that man is subject to nature's causes, actions and whims? Explain and give examples of each.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)