|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The crew was informed that they would only be permitted to stay for ____ days along the coast.
2. The governor informs the sailors that they would use the island's _____ to provide ship repair.
3. It is written that the sailors were so grateful they felt as if they were among ____.
4. King Solamona believed that the land should be maintained for _____.
5. The ships were sent out every ____ years.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened the next day when the governor visited again?
2. What did the governor say about the various cultures and their ships?
3. What happened after the sailors made the request to go ashore? How long did it take for the sailors to get the response?
4. What did the sailors offer in return for lodgings, food, and medical care? What was the response received by the person in charge?
5. Describe the food brought to the sailors at the Stranger's House.
6. Who was King Solamona? Why was he important?
7. Discuss the oath that was required for the sailors to go ashore.
8. How did the author describe the Stranger's House?
9. What was the governor's explanation to the sailor's question?
10. Why was the governor grateful and amused by the sailor's question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bacon has a great deal to say about nature. Nature offers clues to man as to how things work in a logical sense. Should nature be trusted over ideas and/or reason? Explain. What types of clues can man receive from nature? Why does Bacon say that man is nature's servant? Do you believe that man is subject to nature's causes, actions and whims? Explain and give examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
Write a detailed short story from the point of view of one of the sailors when landing on Bensalem. Explore every aspect of the island from the food to the terrain, animals, hosts, and climate. Incorporate characters from the text in a new and unique way.
Essay Topic 3
Bacon sees the debates between philosophers as being relatively useless. Why? What about the debates does not help man move forward? Bacon mentions several schools of thought that could easily spawn heated debates. Examine these topics. Also use references in the text to structure a debate on old logic versus new logic, the wisdom of the ancients versus modern philosophy.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)