|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is said that the King's greatest act was to found an order called Salomon's House. The house is often referred to as being the ____ foundation on the earth.
2. The Americans were also a young people, younger than the rest of the world by _____ years.
3. How many people approached the boats after the sailors requested medical treatment?
4. Some of the Islanders believed that man would be willing to discard ____ for a better offer.
5. The king sent ____ ship(s) out to the world to gain knowledge.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the governor's advice regarding the sailors' thoughts of America?
2. What two great expeditions were taken by the sailors of Coya and Tyrambel?
3. What did Atlantis, Peru and Mexico have in common at that time? What alternate names are used for these countries?
4. Why was the governor grateful and amused by the sailor's question?
5. What happened the next morning after the sailors settled into their assigned lodgings?
6. Describe the food brought to the sailors at the Stranger's House.
7. What was required of the sailors before they were permitted to go ashore?
8. What did the sailors offer in return for lodgings, food, and medical care? What was the response received by the person in charge?
9. Who arrived on the fourth day? What was his purpose?
10. Who was King Solamona? Why was he important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The governor feels very strongly about the rules attached to morality on Bensalem. List some of the rules regarding piety, morality and chastity held by the government of Bensalem. Compare them to the same thoughts in other countries, particularly in Europe. Explain why the governor feels so strongly about this topic.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail the main differences between the Christian and Jewish cultures. Do you feel that Bacon's comments were objective? How did Joabin react to Bacon's questions? Where do the Christian and Jewish faiths become most separate? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In both works, Bacon makes several references to phenomena. In "The Great Instauration," phenomena can be seen as a product of superstition or logic. In "New Atlantis," is it a phenomenon that causes the people of Renfusa and Bensalem to convert to Christianity. Examine Bacon's thoughts on phenomena in both stories and how each in its own way affects man's thoughts and philosophy.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)