|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following supposedly took its toll on Atlantis?
2. Which of the following was delivered to the ship by a small greeting party?
3. The Americans were also a young people, younger than the rest of the world by _____ years.
4. Who was responsible for arbitrating disputes?
5. The governor informs the sailors that they would use the island's _____ to provide ship repair.
Short Essay Questions
1. What two great expeditions were taken by the sailors of Coya and Tyrambel?
2. Who was King Solamona? Why was he important?
3. Who arrived on the fourth day? What was his purpose?
4. What happened after the sailors made the request to go ashore? How long did it take for the sailors to get the response?
5. What incident most likely caused Atlantic to be destroyed?
6. Discuss the landing at Bensalem.
7. What did the governor say about the various cultures and their ships?
8. What was the governor's explanation to the sailor's question?
9. How did the author describe the Stranger's House?
10. What did the sailors offer in return for lodgings, food, and medical care? What was the response received by the person in charge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Observation is the biggest key to developing logic, reason and results. What does Bacon say about observation? What is more important - observation or natural history? Can one work without the other in regards to forming a philosophy? Explain. Examine why Bacon takes issue with observation using the senses. Discuss how Bacon thought observation should be conducted and how the information should be used.
Essay Topic 2
Navigation is referred to in several ways throughout the text. The Governor of Bensalem said it was harder to navigate because the earth was growing larger. What does this mean? Did the governor think that the earth was getting bigger, or that it was harder to navigate because more places were being explored and inhabited? How did the sailors react to the comment? What forms of navigation were used at that time? How has navigation changed since 1612?
Essay Topic 3
Bacon has a great deal to say about nature. Nature offers clues to man as to how things work in a logical sense. Should nature be trusted over ideas and/or reason? Explain. What types of clues can man receive from nature? Why does Bacon say that man is nature's servant? Do you believe that man is subject to nature's causes, actions and whims? Explain and give examples of each.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)