|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Coya let the king of Bensalem, a wise man named ____.
2. The text or references books of the Bible that had not yet been written such as _____'s epistles.
3. The crew was perplexed by the number of _______ use by the islanders.
4. According to the text, it took ____ years for Atlantis to be destroyed.
5. The crew had taken a long enough supplies to last for ___ months.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the rules and regulations on Bensalem regarding immigrants, guests, and travelers. Which are laws and which are customs? What was the collective reaction of the sailors when they learned of these ways? Why did the one man refuse to be paid for lodging, food, and other goods? How did the state raise so much money? What can be learned from the way Bensalem was operated?
Essay Topic 2
Bacon sees the debates between philosophers as being relatively useless. Why? What about the debates does not help man move forward? Bacon mentions several schools of thought that could easily spawn heated debates. Examine these topics. Also use references in the text to structure a debate on old logic versus new logic, the wisdom of the ancients versus modern philosophy.
Essay Topic 3
Define in as much detail as possible the concepts of old logic and new logic. Compare and contrast them to support Bacon's thoughts on the stagnation of thought. Use outside sources to ensure objectivity.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)