|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of the work, sailors departed from which country?
2. The sick were quarantined for ____ days.
3. A great pillar of light was seen by the people of which city?
4. Which of the following was banned on the island?
5. The Peruvians navigated which body of water to reach Bensalem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the governor have to say regarding navigation and its changes?
2. Who arrived on the fourth day? What was his purpose?
3. What did the sailors offer in return for lodgings, food, and medical care? What was the response received by the person in charge?
4. What happened after the sailors made the request to go ashore? How long did it take for the sailors to get the response?
5. Who was King Solamona? Why was he important?
6. What happened the next morning after the sailors settled into their assigned lodgings?
7. What speech was made to the men after they had retrieved all of their goods and sick counterparts from the ship?
8. What did Atlantis, Peru and Mexico have in common at that time? What alternate names are used for these countries?
9. Explain the voyage from Peru and the problems encountered by the sailors on that voyage.
10. Discuss the landing at Bensalem.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bacon has a great deal to say about nature. Nature offers clues to man as to how things work in a logical sense. Should nature be trusted over ideas and/or reason? Explain. What types of clues can man receive from nature? Why does Bacon say that man is nature's servant? Do you believe that man is subject to nature's causes, actions and whims? Explain and give examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
Plato and Aristotle were the two main philosophers referred to by Bacon. All three men are highly revered as brilliant men and philosophers. Compare and contrast Bacon, Plato and Aristotle.
Essay Topic 3
Bacon's plan of scientific inquiry was divided into six parts. Give an overview of each part; discuss how it aids in the progression of thought. Also discuss why there are omissions and unfinished parts of the work.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)