|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was believed that the Americans were a small and ____ people.
2. The governor stated that the sailors would not be permitted to reveal the _______ of their missions.
3. How many ships did Bensalem have at this time?
4. The crew reported having soft and weak winds for ____ months.
5. The sailors communicated with the islanders in which language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In both works, Bacon makes several references to phenomena. In "The Great Instauration," phenomena can be seen as a product of superstition or logic. In "New Atlantis," is it a phenomenon that causes the people of Renfusa and Bensalem to convert to Christianity. Examine Bacon's thoughts on phenomena in both stories and how each in its own way affects man's thoughts and philosophy.
Essay Topic 2
Write a detailed short story from the point of view of one of the sailors when landing on Bensalem. Explore every aspect of the island from the food to the terrain, animals, hosts, and climate. Incorporate characters from the text in a new and unique way.
Essay Topic 3
The governor feels very strongly about the rules attached to morality on Bensalem. List some of the rules regarding piety, morality and chastity held by the government of Bensalem. Compare them to the same thoughts in other countries, particularly in Europe. Explain why the governor feels so strongly about this topic.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)