|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the total number of sailors on the ship?
2. The work was presented in such a way that it was written in the native tongue for all but which group?
3. Who was responsible for arbitrating disputes?
4. The crew was perplexed by the number of _______ use by the islanders.
5. Which of the following was banned on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two great expeditions were taken by the sailors of Coya and Tyrambel?
2. How did the governor explain the islanders' conversion to Christianity?
3. What happened after the sailors made the request to go ashore? How long did it take for the sailors to get the response?
4. Who arrived on the fourth day? What was his purpose?
5. Why was the governor grateful and amused by the sailor's question?
6. Discuss the landing at Bensalem.
7. What did the governor have to say regarding navigation and its changes?
8. What incident most likely caused Atlantic to be destroyed?
9. Explain the voyage from Peru and the problems encountered by the sailors on that voyage.
10. What was the governor's explanation to the sailor's question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail the main differences between the Christian and Jewish cultures. Do you feel that Bacon's comments were objective? How did Joabin react to Bacon's questions? Where do the Christian and Jewish faiths become most separate? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bacon refuted a lot of ideas put forth by the ancient Greeks. Discuss in detail the issues Bacon had with the Greeks' development and use of logic, mainly syllogism.
Essay Topic 3
Examine in detail the myriad projects being executed by the Fathers and others at Salomon's House. Choose at least five and compare them to modern day techniques, methods, and experiments.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)