|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was on top of the great pillar of light?
2. The governor stated that the sailors would not be permitted to reveal the _______ of their missions.
3. When the pillar of light broke up it turned in to which of the following:
4. How many days did it take from the time the sailors spotted land until they reached a port?
5. Before the sailors were allowed to go ashore, they had to take an oath that they were not ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was required of the sailors before they were permitted to go ashore?
2. What happened after the sailors made the request to go ashore? How long did it take for the sailors to get the response?
3. Who was King Solamona? Why was he important?
4. Who arrived on the fourth day? What was his purpose?
5. What is said about Atlantis at this point?
6. What was the governor's explanation to the sailor's question?
7. What two great expeditions were taken by the sailors of Coya and Tyrambel?
8. What happened the next day when the governor visited again?
9. Discuss the oath that was required for the sailors to go ashore.
10. Why was the governor grateful and amused by the sailor's question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The governor feels very strongly about the rules attached to morality on Bensalem. List some of the rules regarding piety, morality and chastity held by the government of Bensalem. Compare them to the same thoughts in other countries, particularly in Europe. Explain why the governor feels so strongly about this topic.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail the main differences between the Christian and Jewish cultures. Do you feel that Bacon's comments were objective? How did Joabin react to Bacon's questions? Where do the Christian and Jewish faiths become most separate? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Bacon's plan of scientific inquiry was divided into six parts. Give an overview of each part; discuss how it aids in the progression of thought. Also discuss why there are omissions and unfinished parts of the work.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)