|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was on top of the great pillar of light?
2. The crew was informed that they would only be permitted to stay for ____ days along the coast.
3. What was left behind after the pillar broke apart?
4. Which of the following countries had laws against immigrants?
5. The crew reported having soft and weak winds for ____ months.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after the sailors made the request to go ashore? How long did it take for the sailors to get the response?
2. What did the governor say about the various cultures and their ships?
3. Describe the food brought to the sailors at the Stranger's House.
4. What did the governor have to say regarding navigation and its changes?
5. What did the sailors offer in return for lodgings, food, and medical care? What was the response received by the person in charge?
6. How did the governor explain the islanders' conversion to Christianity?
7. Who arrived on the fourth day? What was his purpose?
8. How did the author describe the Stranger's House?
9. What was the first thing asked of the governor?
10. What incident most likely caused Atlantic to be destroyed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 1000 word essay on Atlantis. Refer to the text as well as outside resources. Include your opinion on the myths surrounding Atlantis. Was Atlantis real or fictional?
Essay Topic 2
Bacon's plan of scientific inquiry was divided into six parts. Give an overview of each part; discuss how it aids in the progression of thought. Also discuss why there are omissions and unfinished parts of the work.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail the main differences between the Christian and Jewish cultures. Do you feel that Bacon's comments were objective? How did Joabin react to Bacon's questions? Where do the Christian and Jewish faiths become most separate? Explain.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)