|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the alternative name for the Peruvians?
2. Which of the following was not offered to the sailors at this time?
3. How many people approached the boats after the sailors requested medical treatment?
4. Which of the following countries is not mentioned in the text?
5. What was the total number of sailors on the ship?
Essay Topic 1
Bacon sees the debates between philosophers as being relatively useless. Why? What about the debates does not help man move forward? Bacon mentions several schools of thought that could easily spawn heated debates. Examine these topics. Also use references in the text to structure a debate on old logic versus new logic, the wisdom of the ancients versus modern philosophy.
Essay Topic 2
Bacon refuted a lot of ideas put forth by the ancient Greeks. Discuss in detail the issues Bacon had with the Greeks' development and use of logic, mainly syllogism.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail the main differences between the Christian and Jewish cultures. Do you feel that Bacon's comments were objective? How did Joabin react to Bacon's questions? Where do the Christian and Jewish faiths become most separate? Explain.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)