|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The new logic is designed to command active ____.
2. Bacon asks the ____ God to grant him the power to help humanity.
3. Which of the following is the process of reasoning probabilistically?
4. Many things may be improved by using instruments of _____.
5. Bacon states that reason can reconstruct human knowledge, science, and ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
2. What is Francis Bacon's main complaint about people realizing their strengths and weaknesses?
3. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
4. Explain the culture needed for an observer.
5. Explain the fourth, fifth and sixth parts of the text.
6. What are Bacon's thoughts on the advancement of philosophy?
7. What is the next step in the work? What tools can be used to accomplish the necessary tasks?
8. What steps has Bacon taken to devote himself wholly to his philosophy and to eliminate distractions from the outside world?
9. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
10. How did Bacon explain why it was necessary to observe everything?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The governor feels very strongly about the rules attached to morality on Bensalem. List some of the rules regarding piety, morality and chastity held by the government of Bensalem. Compare them to the same thoughts in other countries, particularly in Europe. Explain why the governor feels so strongly about this topic.
Essay Topic 2
Write a detailed short story from the point of view of one of the sailors when landing on Bensalem. Explore every aspect of the island from the food to the terrain, animals, hosts, and climate. Incorporate characters from the text in a new and unique way.
Essay Topic 3
Examine in detail the myriad projects being executed by the Fathers and others at Salomon's House. Choose at least five and compare them to modern day techniques, methods, and experiments.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)