|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Bacon use to describe syllogism?
2. Overall, philosophy was _____ but barren.
3. Bacon refers to one's powers as being ____ and reasoning.
4. What is a "procemium?"
5. Which Biblical person was condemned for illicit moral knowledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the process used by traditional logicians.
2. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
3. How does Bacon referred to the wisdom of the Greeks? Additionally how does Bacon compare the state of learning to which mythical character?
4. What steps has Bacon taken to devote himself wholly to his philosophy and to eliminate distractions from the outside world?
5. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
6. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
7. Why did Francis Bacon apologize to King James I in his dedication to "The Great Instauration?" What did Bacon say?
8. What is the next step in the work? What tools can be used to accomplish the necessary tasks?
9. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
10. What are Bacon's thoughts on the advancement of philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bacon refuted a lot of ideas put forth by the ancient Greeks. Discuss in detail the issues Bacon had with the Greeks' development and use of logic, mainly syllogism.
Essay Topic 2
Navigation is referred to in several ways throughout the text. The Governor of Bensalem said it was harder to navigate because the earth was growing larger. What does this mean? Did the governor think that the earth was getting bigger, or that it was harder to navigate because more places were being explored and inhabited? How did the sailors react to the comment? What forms of navigation were used at that time? How has navigation changed since 1612?
Essay Topic 3
Bacon's plan of scientific inquiry was divided into six parts. Give an overview of each part; discuss how it aids in the progression of thought. Also discuss why there are omissions and unfinished parts of the work.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)