|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for "The Great Instauration?"
2. It is important that man be able to gather clues from _____.
3. Since the observer is ____, he must look to history for similar observations.
4. Instead, men placed too much focus on their ____.
5. Which of the following often gives ideas that are false because of the lack of information?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the culture needed for an observer.
2. How did Bacon explain why it was necessary to observe everything?
3. Discuss the second part of The Great Instauration and Bacon's plan to define and explain it.
4. What steps has Bacon taken to devote himself wholly to his philosophy and to eliminate distractions from the outside world?
5. What was the fault of the ancients regarding philosophy?
6. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
7. What was Bacon's way of counteracting the ways of the ancients?
8. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
9. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
10. What are Bacon's thoughts on the advancement of philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plato and Aristotle were the two main philosophers referred to by Bacon. All three men are highly revered as brilliant men and philosophers. Compare and contrast Bacon, Plato and Aristotle.
Essay Topic 2
The governor told the sailors about the missions to collect information from other countries but remained secretive about certain aspects of the missions. Why? What do you think the governor wanted to keep secret? Do you think the people were doing anything unlawful? Why did they pose as people from other countries? Why was it important for Bensalem to remain under the radar to the majority of the known world? What are the pros and cons of being remote and unknown?
Essay Topic 3
Define in as much detail as possible the concepts of old logic and new logic. Compare and contrast them to support Bacon's thoughts on the stagnation of thought. Use outside sources to ensure objectivity.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)