|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bacon refers to one's powers as being ____ and reasoning.
2. Bacon states that a new logic has a different _____ from the old logic.
3. Which of the following often gives ideas that are false because of the lack of information?
4. The fourth parts of the plan involves the application of _______.
5. Bacon states that reason can reconstruct human knowledge, science, and ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is said about Atlantis at this point?
2. How did Bacon explain why it was necessary to observe everything?
3. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
4. What is Francis Bacon's main complaint about people realizing their strengths and weaknesses?
5. What was the fault of the ancients regarding philosophy?
6. What did the sailors offer in return for lodgings, food, and medical care? What was the response received by the person in charge?
7. How did the governor explain the islanders' conversion to Christianity?
8. What is Bacon's advice to the people who would spend the majority of their time reading books on arts and sciences?
9. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
10. How does the author describe the Father and his clothing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friedrich Nietzsche had a great deal to say about nature's part in philosophy. Read a biography on Nietzsche to learn about his career, philosophy and thoughts on nature. Compare them to those held by Bacon.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the rules and regulations on Bensalem regarding immigrants, guests, and travelers. Which are laws and which are customs? What was the collective reaction of the sailors when they learned of these ways? Why did the one man refuse to be paid for lodging, food, and other goods? How did the state raise so much money? What can be learned from the way Bensalem was operated?
Essay Topic 3
Bacon sees the debates between philosophers as being relatively useless. Why? What about the debates does not help man move forward? Bacon mentions several schools of thought that could easily spawn heated debates. Examine these topics. Also use references in the text to structure a debate on old logic versus new logic, the wisdom of the ancients versus modern philosophy.
This section contains 1,802 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)