|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many things may be improved by using instruments of _____.
2. Bacon suggests that man should try to focus on their ___ powers.
3. What is a "procemium?"
4. Ultimately, man is nature's _____.
5. It is better to try and fail rather than to make _____ on something that cannot work.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bacon feel experiments were necessary to prove one's logic?
2. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
3. What did Bacon say when people blame Adam's condemnation on science? What can be learned from the experience?
4. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
5. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
6. Discuss the process used by traditional logicians.
7. Bacon says that there is only way out of stagnation. What is it and why is it important?
8. What is Francis Bacon's main complaint about people realizing their strengths and weaknesses?
9. Explain the culture needed for an observer.
10. How does Bacon referred to the wisdom of the Greeks? Additionally how does Bacon compare the state of learning to which mythical character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The governor told the sailors about the missions to collect information from other countries but remained secretive about certain aspects of the missions. Why? What do you think the governor wanted to keep secret? Do you think the people were doing anything unlawful? Why did they pose as people from other countries? Why was it important for Bensalem to remain under the radar to the majority of the known world? What are the pros and cons of being remote and unknown?
Essay Topic 2
Examine in detail the myriad projects being executed by the Fathers and others at Salomon's House. Choose at least five and compare them to modern day techniques, methods, and experiments.
Essay Topic 3
Bacon has a great deal to say about nature. Nature offers clues to man as to how things work in a logical sense. Should nature be trusted over ideas and/or reason? Explain. What types of clues can man receive from nature? Why does Bacon say that man is nature's servant? Do you believe that man is subject to nature's causes, actions and whims? Explain and give examples of each.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)