|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bacon states that reason can reconstruct human knowledge, science, and ____.
2. We need methods that can discover causes and deliver philosophy's first:
3. Often times the community was controlled by ______ rules.
4. What is a "procemium?"
5. Bacon suggests that man should try to focus on their ___ powers.
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps has Bacon taken to devote himself wholly to his philosophy and to eliminate distractions from the outside world?
2. What is Francis Bacon's main complaint about people realizing their strengths and weaknesses?
3. Discuss the process used by traditional logicians.
4. Discuss the second part of The Great Instauration and Bacon's plan to define and explain it.
5. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
6. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
7. How does Bacon referred to the wisdom of the Greeks? Additionally how does Bacon compare the state of learning to which mythical character?
8. How did Bacon explain why it was necessary to observe everything?
9. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
10. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friedrich Nietzsche had a great deal to say about nature's part in philosophy. Read a biography on Nietzsche to learn about his career, philosophy and thoughts on nature. Compare them to those held by Bacon.
Essay Topic 2
The governor feels very strongly about the rules attached to morality on Bensalem. List some of the rules regarding piety, morality and chastity held by the government of Bensalem. Compare them to the same thoughts in other countries, particularly in Europe. Explain why the governor feels so strongly about this topic.
Essay Topic 3
Twenty years after the ascension of Christ, the people of Renfusa saw some unidentified phenomena on the water. Explain the phenomena as much as possible. Could the phenomena be explained using today's scientific methods? Do you believe there was a force field or paralyzing force attached to the phenomena? Could it have been mass hallucination? What was left behind after the light disappeared?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)