|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bacon states that man can only obey _____ causes.
2. What is a "procemium?"
3. A person's examination of the world should involve true _____.
4. Bacon begs the King to be a ____ and respecter of the Sciences.
5. The author states that everything should be observed from the _____ to the human body.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bacon feel experiments were necessary to prove one's logic?
2. What was Bacon's way of counteracting the ways of the ancients?
3. What was the fault of the ancients regarding philosophy?
4. Explain the culture needed for an observer.
5. Why did Bacon believed that it was pointless to argue simple human observation?
6. Bacon says that there is only way out of stagnation. What is it and why is it important?
7. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
8. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
9. What are Bacon's thoughts on the advancement of philosophy?
10. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The governor told the sailors about the missions to collect information from other countries but remained secretive about certain aspects of the missions. Why? What do you think the governor wanted to keep secret? Do you think the people were doing anything unlawful? Why did they pose as people from other countries? Why was it important for Bensalem to remain under the radar to the majority of the known world? What are the pros and cons of being remote and unknown?
Essay Topic 2
Write a detailed short story from the point of view of one of the sailors when landing on Bensalem. Explore every aspect of the island from the food to the terrain, animals, hosts, and climate. Incorporate characters from the text in a new and unique way.
Essay Topic 3
Examine in detail the myriad projects being executed by the Fathers and others at Salomon's House. Choose at least five and compare them to modern day techniques, methods, and experiments.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)