|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following often gives ideas that are false because of the lack of information?
2. Francis Bacon believes that it is ____ for him to write the following work.
3. Which of the following is the process of reasoning probabilistically?
4. Bacon believed that common sense established _____ certain degrees of assurance.
5. The ancients looked only to the stars and as such became too focused on ____ and abstract meditation.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
2. What is the opinion of the average man regarding the advancement of sciences?
3. Why did Bacon believed that it was pointless to argue simple human observation?
4. What is Francis Bacon's main complaint about people realizing their strengths and weaknesses?
5. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
6. What is the next step in the work? What tools can be used to accomplish the necessary tasks?
7. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
8. What was the fault of the ancients regarding philosophy?
9. Explain the culture needed for an observer.
10. How did Bacon explain why it was necessary to observe everything?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define in as much detail as possible the concepts of old logic and new logic. Compare and contrast them to support Bacon's thoughts on the stagnation of thought. Use outside sources to ensure objectivity.
Essay Topic 2
The governor feels very strongly about the rules attached to morality on Bensalem. List some of the rules regarding piety, morality and chastity held by the government of Bensalem. Compare them to the same thoughts in other countries, particularly in Europe. Explain why the governor feels so strongly about this topic.
Essay Topic 3
Twenty years after the ascension of Christ, the people of Renfusa saw some unidentified phenomena on the water. Explain the phenomena as much as possible. Could the phenomena be explained using today's scientific methods? Do you believe there was a force field or paralyzing force attached to the phenomena? Could it have been mass hallucination? What was left behind after the light disappeared?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)