|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bacon went to work for which King of England?
2. Which Biblical person was condemned for illicit moral knowledge?
3. It is the ____ of power that caused angels to fall.
4. Of the philosophers attempt to amend simple human observation with ridiculous _____.
5. A person's examination of the world should involve true _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bacon's way of counteracting the ways of the ancients?
2. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
3. Why did Bacon feel experiments were necessary to prove one's logic?
4. Why did Bacon believed that it was pointless to argue simple human observation?
5. What is the opinion of the average man regarding the advancement of sciences?
6. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
7. Why did Francis Bacon apologize to King James I in his dedication to "The Great Instauration?" What did Bacon say?
8. What is Bacon's advice to the people who would spend the majority of their time reading books on arts and sciences?
9. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
10. What did Bacon say when people blame Adam's condemnation on science? What can be learned from the experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the journey taken by the sailors. What was the purpose of the journey? Where was the departure point? What was the destination point? What type of ship was used for the voyage? What was the purpose? What were some of the issues faced on the open sea? Do you think that the ship may have been able to stay on course if it had been commanded by someone else? Do you think that the ship would have returned to port if the second set of winds had not pushed them north? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine in detail the myriad projects being executed by the Fathers and others at Salomon's House. Choose at least five and compare them to modern day techniques, methods, and experiments.
Essay Topic 3
The governor told the sailors about the missions to collect information from other countries but remained secretive about certain aspects of the missions. Why? What do you think the governor wanted to keep secret? Do you think the people were doing anything unlawful? Why did they pose as people from other countries? Why was it important for Bensalem to remain under the radar to the majority of the known world? What are the pros and cons of being remote and unknown?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)