Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead, men placed too much focus on their ____.
2. If man was able to focus on these powers, he would be able to master which of the following?
3. Part of the reason for the movement was to show that the knowledge in _____ was stagnant.
4. Bacon refers to one's powers as being ____ and reasoning.
5. Bacon says that ____ is "more precious than anything on earth."
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
2. Explain the voyage from Peru and the problems encountered by the sailors on that voyage.
3. What did Atlantis, Peru and Mexico have in common at that time? What alternate names are used for these countries?
4. What two great expeditions were taken by the sailors of Coya and Tyrambel?
5. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
6. What was required of the sailors before they were permitted to go ashore?
7. What is said about Atlantis at this point?
8. How did the author describe the Stranger's House?
9. What was the governor's opinion on adultery, pre-marital sex, prostitution and polygamy?
10. What incident most likely caused Atlantic to be destroyed?
Examine in detail the myriad projects being executed by the Fathers and others at Salomon's House. Choose at least five and compare them to modern day techniques, methods, and experiments.
Navigation is referred to in several ways throughout the text. The Governor of Bensalem said it was harder to navigate because the earth was growing larger. What does this mean? Did the governor think that the earth was getting bigger, or that it was harder to navigate because more places were being explored and inhabited? How did the sailors react to the comment? What forms of navigation were used at that time? How has navigation changed since 1612?
The governor feels very strongly about the rules attached to morality on Bensalem. List some of the rules regarding piety, morality and chastity held by the government of Bensalem. Compare them to the same thoughts in other countries, particularly in Europe. Explain why the governor feels so strongly about this topic.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)