|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In ordinary logic, _____ reigns.
2. The problem is that common logic also requires more ____.
3. Overall, philosophy was _____ but barren.
4. What is a "procemium?"
5. It is stated that the author believes that men tend to misunderstand their _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Bacon says that there is only way out of stagnation. What is it and why is it important?
2. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
3. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
4. How does Bacon referred to the wisdom of the Greeks? Additionally how does Bacon compare the state of learning to which mythical character?
5. What is Francis Bacon's main complaint about people realizing their strengths and weaknesses?
6. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
7. Why did Bacon believed that it was pointless to argue simple human observation?
8. Discuss the process used by traditional logicians.
9. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
10. How did Bacon explain why it was necessary to observe everything?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define in as much detail as possible the concepts of old logic and new logic. Compare and contrast them to support Bacon's thoughts on the stagnation of thought. Use outside sources to ensure objectivity.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the rules and regulations on Bensalem regarding immigrants, guests, and travelers. Which are laws and which are customs? What was the collective reaction of the sailors when they learned of these ways? Why did the one man refuse to be paid for lodging, food, and other goods? How did the state raise so much money? What can be learned from the way Bensalem was operated?
Essay Topic 3
Bacon sees the debates between philosophers as being relatively useless. Why? What about the debates does not help man move forward? Bacon mentions several schools of thought that could easily spawn heated debates. Examine these topics. Also use references in the text to structure a debate on old logic versus new logic, the wisdom of the ancients versus modern philosophy.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)