|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not one of the parts of the plan?
2. The first part is referred to as being ______ outlined.
3. In ordinary logic, _____ reigns.
4. It is from the _____ of our causes that are planned fail.
5. Bacon says that ____ is "more precious than anything on earth."
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened the next morning after the sailors settled into their assigned lodgings?
2. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
3. According to the text, what is the brief history of the beliefs of the Jews? How did Joabin explain this discrepancy?
4. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
5. How is the Father's chariot described?
6. What did Bacon say when people blame Adam's condemnation on science? What can be learned from the experience?
7. How did the governor explain the islanders' conversion to Christianity?
8. Explain the voyage from Peru and the problems encountered by the sailors on that voyage.
9. What happened the next day when the governor visited again?
10. What was Bacon's way of counteracting the ways of the ancients?
Essay Topic 1
Write a 750 word essay on King Solamona and the founding and purpose of Salomon's House as it is relayed in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Bacon refuted a lot of ideas put forth by the ancient Greeks. Discuss in detail the issues Bacon had with the Greeks' development and use of logic, mainly syllogism.
Essay Topic 3
Define in as much detail as possible the concepts of old logic and new logic. Compare and contrast them to support Bacon's thoughts on the stagnation of thought. Use outside sources to ensure objectivity.
This section contains 1,943 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)