|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bacon asks the ____ God to grant him the power to help humanity.
2. Of the philosophers attempt to amend simple human observation with ridiculous _____.
3. The first part is referred to as being ______ outlined.
4. If man was able to focus on these powers, he would be able to master which of the following?
5. Other forms of thinking may start out being easier but will most likely end up in ____ places.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the culture needed for an observer.
2. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
3. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
4. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
5. How did Bacon explain why it was necessary to observe everything?
6. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
7. Discuss the second part of The Great Instauration and Bacon's plan to define and explain it.
8. Why did Bacon believed that it was pointless to argue simple human observation?
9. What was Bacon's way of counteracting the ways of the ancients?
10. What is the next step in the work? What tools can be used to accomplish the necessary tasks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The governor feels very strongly about the rules attached to morality on Bensalem. List some of the rules regarding piety, morality and chastity held by the government of Bensalem. Compare them to the same thoughts in other countries, particularly in Europe. Explain why the governor feels so strongly about this topic.
Essay Topic 2
The governor told the sailors about the missions to collect information from other countries but remained secretive about certain aspects of the missions. Why? What do you think the governor wanted to keep secret? Do you think the people were doing anything unlawful? Why did they pose as people from other countries? Why was it important for Bensalem to remain under the radar to the majority of the known world? What are the pros and cons of being remote and unknown?
Essay Topic 3
Bacon has a great deal to say about nature. Nature offers clues to man as to how things work in a logical sense. Should nature be trusted over ideas and/or reason? Explain. What types of clues can man receive from nature? Why does Bacon say that man is nature's servant? Do you believe that man is subject to nature's causes, actions and whims? Explain and give examples of each.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)