|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following promises to remedy the problem by offering repeatable testable methods of inquiry?
2. The ancients looked only to the stars and as such became too focused on ____ and abstract meditation.
3. Often times the community was controlled by ______ rules.
4. Which of the following items is needed to find the systematic order a particular subject?
5. Bacon went to work for which King of England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the governor's explanation to the sailor's question?
2. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
3. What did Atlantis, Peru and Mexico have in common at that time? What alternate names are used for these countries?
4. What steps has Bacon taken to devote himself wholly to his philosophy and to eliminate distractions from the outside world?
5. What was the first thing asked of the governor?
6. What is Bacon's advice to the people who would spend the majority of their time reading books on arts and sciences?
7. What did Bacon say when people blame Adam's condemnation on science? What can be learned from the experience?
8. What did the author write that discounted Joabin's explanation?
9. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
10. Discuss the landing at Bensalem.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 750 word essay on King Solamona and the founding and purpose of Salomon's House as it is relayed in the story.
Essay Topic 2
The governor told the sailors about the missions to collect information from other countries but remained secretive about certain aspects of the missions. Why? What do you think the governor wanted to keep secret? Do you think the people were doing anything unlawful? Why did they pose as people from other countries? Why was it important for Bensalem to remain under the radar to the majority of the known world? What are the pros and cons of being remote and unknown?
Essay Topic 3
Observation is the biggest key to developing logic, reason and results. What does Bacon say about observation? What is more important - observation or natural history? Can one work without the other in regards to forming a philosophy? Explain. Examine why Bacon takes issue with observation using the senses. Discuss how Bacon thought observation should be conducted and how the information should be used.
This section contains 1,853 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)