|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following are said to have had no role except for in mechanics?
2. What is another name for "The Great Instauration?"
3. Human reasoning is _____.
4. Bacon states that a new logic has a different _____ from the old logic.
5. Part of the reason for the movement was to show that the knowledge in _____ was stagnant.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bacon's way of counteracting the ways of the ancients?
2. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
3. What is Francis Bacon's main complaint about people realizing their strengths and weaknesses?
4. What was the fault of the ancients regarding philosophy?
5. What are Bacon's thoughts on the advancement of philosophy?
6. Explain the fourth, fifth and sixth parts of the text.
7. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
8. Why did Francis Bacon apologize to King James I in his dedication to "The Great Instauration?" What did Bacon say?
9. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
10. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a detailed short story from the point of view of one of the sailors when landing on Bensalem. Explore every aspect of the island from the food to the terrain, animals, hosts, and climate. Incorporate characters from the text in a new and unique way.
Essay Topic 2
Twenty years after the ascension of Christ, the people of Renfusa saw some unidentified phenomena on the water. Explain the phenomena as much as possible. Could the phenomena be explained using today's scientific methods? Do you believe there was a force field or paralyzing force attached to the phenomena? Could it have been mass hallucination? What was left behind after the light disappeared?
Essay Topic 3
Bacon sees the debates between philosophers as being relatively useless. Why? What about the debates does not help man move forward? Bacon mentions several schools of thought that could easily spawn heated debates. Examine these topics. Also use references in the text to structure a debate on old logic versus new logic, the wisdom of the ancients versus modern philosophy.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)