|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bacon believes that the human mind easily misuses its ____ in many ways.
2. The fourth parts of the plan involves the application of _______.
3. Which is not one of the parts of the plan?
4. Bacon refers to one's powers as being ____ and reasoning.
5. Bacon lays out a plan for organizing which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
2. What is Bacon's advice to the people who would spend the majority of their time reading books on arts and sciences?
3. How did Bacon explain why it was necessary to observe everything?
4. Discuss the process used by traditional logicians.
5. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
6. Why did Francis Bacon apologize to King James I in his dedication to "The Great Instauration?" What did Bacon say?
7. What is the opinion of the average man regarding the advancement of sciences?
8. What was the fault of the ancients regarding philosophy?
9. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
10. What are Bacon's thoughts on the advancement of philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bacon's plan of scientific inquiry was divided into six parts. Give an overview of each part; discuss how it aids in the progression of thought. Also discuss why there are omissions and unfinished parts of the work.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the journey taken by the sailors. What was the purpose of the journey? Where was the departure point? What was the destination point? What type of ship was used for the voyage? What was the purpose? What were some of the issues faced on the open sea? Do you think that the ship may have been able to stay on course if it had been commanded by someone else? Do you think that the ship would have returned to port if the second set of winds had not pushed them north? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Bacon sees the debates between philosophers as being relatively useless. Why? What about the debates does not help man move forward? Bacon mentions several schools of thought that could easily spawn heated debates. Examine these topics. Also use references in the text to structure a debate on old logic versus new logic, the wisdom of the ancients versus modern philosophy.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)