|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following often gives ideas that are false because of the lack of information?
2. This is accomplished through the use of ______.
3. How many parts are there to the work?
4. Bacon states that a new logic has a different _____ from the old logic.
5. What is a "procemium?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
2. What is the next step in the work? What tools can be used to accomplish the necessary tasks?
3. Why did Francis Bacon apologize to King James I in his dedication to "The Great Instauration?" What did Bacon say?
4. Discuss the process used by traditional logicians.
5. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
6. Explain the culture needed for an observer.
7. What are Bacon's thoughts on the advancement of philosophy?
8. Bacon says that there is only way out of stagnation. What is it and why is it important?
9. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
10. Why did Bacon believed that it was pointless to argue simple human observation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plato and Aristotle were the two main philosophers referred to by Bacon. All three men are highly revered as brilliant men and philosophers. Compare and contrast Bacon, Plato and Aristotle.
Essay Topic 2
Observation is the biggest key to developing logic, reason and results. What does Bacon say about observation? What is more important - observation or natural history? Can one work without the other in regards to forming a philosophy? Explain. Examine why Bacon takes issue with observation using the senses. Discuss how Bacon thought observation should be conducted and how the information should be used.
Essay Topic 3
Examine in detail the myriad projects being executed by the Fathers and others at Salomon's House. Choose at least five and compare them to modern day techniques, methods, and experiments.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)