|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bacon suggests that man should try to focus on their ___ powers.
2. Which Biblical person was condemned for illicit moral knowledge?
3. Bacon asks the ____ God to grant him the power to help humanity.
4. Francis Bacon believes that it is ____ for him to write the following work.
5. The new logic is designed to command active ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
2. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
3. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
4. Explain the culture needed for an observer.
5. What did Bacon say when people blame Adam's condemnation on science? What can be learned from the experience?
6. Why did Bacon feel experiments were necessary to prove one's logic?
7. What is the opinion of the average man regarding the advancement of sciences?
8. Explain the fourth, fifth and sixth parts of the text.
9. What is Bacon's advice to the people who would spend the majority of their time reading books on arts and sciences?
10. Discuss the second part of The Great Instauration and Bacon's plan to define and explain it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twenty years after the ascension of Christ, the people of Renfusa saw some unidentified phenomena on the water. Explain the phenomena as much as possible. Could the phenomena be explained using today's scientific methods? Do you believe there was a force field or paralyzing force attached to the phenomena? Could it have been mass hallucination? What was left behind after the light disappeared?
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail the main differences between the Christian and Jewish cultures. Do you feel that Bacon's comments were objective? How did Joabin react to Bacon's questions? Where do the Christian and Jewish faiths become most separate? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Bacon refuted a lot of ideas put forth by the ancient Greeks. Discuss in detail the issues Bacon had with the Greeks' development and use of logic, mainly syllogism.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)