|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bacon begs the King to be a ____ and respecter of the Sciences.
2. The author states that everything should be observed from the _____ to the human body.
(a) Earth's core.
(b) Smallest insect.
(d) Bottom of the sea.
3. In ordinary logic, _____ reigns.
4. The author states that the work is only a beginning that developing this philosophy is starting the real _____ of the human race.
5. Bacon states that man can only obey _____ causes.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is from the _____ of our causes that are planned fail.
2. It is the ____ of power that caused angels to fall.
3. The ancients looked only to the stars and as such became too focused on ____ and abstract meditation.
4. Francis Bacon believes that it is ____ for him to write the following work.
5. What years did the King serve England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
2. What is Bacon's advice to the people who would spend the majority of their time reading books on arts and sciences?
3. What was the fault of the ancients regarding philosophy?
4. What did Bacon say when people blame Adam's condemnation on science? What can be learned from the experience?
5. Discuss the process used by traditional logicians.
6. What steps has Bacon taken to devote himself wholly to his philosophy and to eliminate distractions from the outside world?
7. What are Bacon's thoughts on the advancement of philosophy?
8. Discuss the second part of The Great Instauration and Bacon's plan to define and explain it.
9. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
10. Why did Bacon believed that it was pointless to argue simple human observation?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)