|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ultimately, man is nature's _____.
2. Which of the following are said to have had no role except for in mechanics?
3. If man was able to focus on these powers, he would be able to master which of the following?
(d) The Universe.
4. The first part is referred to as being ______ outlined.
5. What years did the King serve England?
Short Answer Questions
1. We must avoid our ____if we want to see the pattern of the world..
2. Bacon says that ____ is "more precious than anything on earth."
3. Which Biblical person was condemned for illicit moral knowledge?
4. Which of the following items is needed to find the systematic order a particular subject?
5. Other forms of thinking may start out being easier but will most likely end up in ____ places.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the opinion of the average man regarding the advancement of sciences?
2. What was Bacon's way of counteracting the ways of the ancients?
3. Discuss the second part of The Great Instauration and Bacon's plan to define and explain it.
4. Why did Bacon feel experiments were necessary to prove one's logic?
5. Explain the fourth, fifth and sixth parts of the text.
6. What did Bacon say when people blame Adam's condemnation on science? What can be learned from the experience?
7. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
8. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
9. What is Bacon's advice to the people who would spend the majority of their time reading books on arts and sciences?
10. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)