|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ancients looked only to the stars and as such became too focused on ____ and abstract meditation.
2. Which type of history is ideal to build a foundation for philosophy?
3. Which of the following promises to remedy the problem by offering repeatable testable methods of inquiry?
4. The _____ way starts out hard but ends in "open country."
5. Bacon states that a new logic has a different _____ from the old logic.
(d) Starting point.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bacon suggests that man should try to focus on their ___ powers.
2. The fourth parts of the plan involves the application of _______.
3. It is important that man be able to gather clues from _____.
4. Bacon asks the ____ God to grant him the power to help humanity.
5. It is better to try and fail rather than to make _____ on something that cannot work.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the opinion of the average man regarding the advancement of sciences?
2. What did the governor have to say regarding navigation and its changes?
3. Why did Francis Bacon apologize to King James I in his dedication to "The Great Instauration?" What did Bacon say?
4. What is Francis Bacon's main complaint about people realizing their strengths and weaknesses?
5. How did the author describe the Stranger's House?
6. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
7. Bacon says that there is only way out of stagnation. What is it and why is it important?
8. Who arrived on the fourth day? What was his purpose?
9. What was the governor's explanation to the sailor's question?
10. What was required of the sailors before they were permitted to go ashore?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)