|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bacon says that ____ is "more precious than anything on earth."
(a) A meeting of the minds.
(d) True understanding.
2. What is another name for "The Great Instauration?"
(a) "The Mighty Revolution."
(b) "The Tragic Rebirth."
(c) "The Scientific Method."
(d) "The Great Restoration."
3. The author states that everything should be observed from the _____ to the human body.
(a) Bottom of the sea.
(c) Earth's core.
(d) Smallest insect.
4. How many parts are there to the work?
5. What is a "procemium?"
Short Answer Questions
1. It is the ____ of power that caused angels to fall.
2. Other forms of thinking may start out being easier but will most likely end up in ____ places.
3. Bacon believed that common sense established _____ certain degrees of assurance.
4. With clear ____, the intellect can become more powerful.
5. Bacon suggests that man should try to focus on their ___ powers.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bacon say when people blame Adam's condemnation on science? What can be learned from the experience?
2. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
3. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
4. Explain the fourth, fifth and sixth parts of the text.
5. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
6. What is the next step in the work? What tools can be used to accomplish the necessary tasks?
7. How does Bacon referred to the wisdom of the Greeks? Additionally how does Bacon compare the state of learning to which mythical character?
8. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
9. What was Bacon's way of counteracting the ways of the ancients?
10. What was the fault of the ancients regarding philosophy?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)