|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Biblical person was condemned for illicit moral knowledge?
2. Bacon believes that the human mind easily misuses its ____ in many ways.
(b) Gray matter.
3. Bacon states that a new logic has a different _____ from the old logic.
(c) Starting point.
4. Overall, philosophy was _____ but barren.
5. Bacon believed that common sense established _____ certain degrees of assurance.
Short Answer Questions
1. With clear ____, the intellect can become more powerful.
2. Bacon refers to one's powers as being ____ and reasoning.
3. How many parts are there to the work?
4. Often times the community was controlled by ______ rules.
5. We must avoid our ____if we want to see the pattern of the world..
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the second part of The Great Instauration and Bacon's plan to define and explain it.
2. Discuss the process used by traditional logicians.
3. How does Bacon referred to the wisdom of the Greeks? Additionally how does Bacon compare the state of learning to which mythical character?
4. How did Bacon explain why it was necessary to observe everything?
5. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
6. Explain the fourth, fifth and sixth parts of the text.
7. What steps has Bacon taken to devote himself wholly to his philosophy and to eliminate distractions from the outside world?
8. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
9. Bacon says that there is only way out of stagnation. What is it and why is it important?
10. Why did Bacon feel experiments were necessary to prove one's logic?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)