|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Biblical person was condemned for illicit moral knowledge?
2. This is accomplished through the use of ______.
3. Bacon believed that common sense established _____ certain degrees of assurance.
4. Bacon states that people tend lean toward false and hasty ______.
5. Bacon states that man can only obey _____ causes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Overall, philosophy was _____ but barren.
2. Often times the community was controlled by ______ rules.
3. Bacon says that ____ is "more precious than anything on earth."
4. What term does Bacon use to describe syllogism?
5. Bacon believes that the human mind easily misuses its ____ in many ways.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Francis Bacon's main complaint about people realizing their strengths and weaknesses?
2. Discuss the process used by traditional logicians.
3. What is the opinion of the average man regarding the advancement of sciences?
4. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
5. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
6. What was the fault of the ancients regarding philosophy?
7. What is the next step in the work? What tools can be used to accomplish the necessary tasks?
8. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
9. Explain the culture needed for an observer.
10. What is Bacon's advice to the people who would spend the majority of their time reading books on arts and sciences?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)