|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bacon lays out a plan for organizing which of the following?
(b) Scientific inquiry.
2. Bacon states that a new logic has a different _____ from the old logic.
(b) Starting point.
3. The first part of the work is to equip the intellect to do which of the following?
(a) Move forward.
(b) Question itself.
(c) Be rebuilt.
(d) Process information.
4. Other forms of thinking may start out being easier but will most likely end up in ____ places.
(a) Many different.
5. How many parts are there to the work?
Short Answer Questions
1. Since the observer is ____, he must look to history for similar observations.
2. Bacon states that people tend lean toward false and hasty ______.
3. The problem is that common logic also requires more ____.
4. Often times the community was controlled by ______ rules.
5. Which type of history is ideal to build a foundation for philosophy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bacon says that there is only way out of stagnation. What is it and why is it important?
2. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
3. Explain the fourth, fifth and sixth parts of the text.
4. Why did Bacon believed that it was pointless to argue simple human observation?
5. What did Bacon say when people blame Adam's condemnation on science? What can be learned from the experience?
6. What was Bacon's way of counteracting the ways of the ancients?
7. Discuss the process used by traditional logicians.
8. Why did Bacon feel experiments were necessary to prove one's logic?
9. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
10. Discuss the second part of The Great Instauration and Bacon's plan to define and explain it.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)