|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bacon says that ____ is "more precious than anything on earth."
(a) True understanding.
(c) A meeting of the minds.
2. This is accomplished through the use of ______.
3. Which Biblical person was condemned for illicit moral knowledge?
4. Bacon begs the King to be a ____ and respecter of the Sciences.
5. Bacon asks the ____ God to grant him the power to help humanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bacon states that a new logic has a different _____ from the old logic.
2. Which of the following items is needed to find the systematic order a particular subject?
3. In ordinary logic, _____ reigns.
4. The first part of the work is to equip the intellect to do which of the following?
5. We must avoid our ____if we want to see the pattern of the world..
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bacon feel experiments were necessary to prove one's logic?
2. What did Bacon say when people blame Adam's condemnation on science? What can be learned from the experience?
3. How does Bacon referred to the wisdom of the Greeks? Additionally how does Bacon compare the state of learning to which mythical character?
4. What are Bacon's thoughts on the advancement of philosophy?
5. What was Bacon's way of counteracting the ways of the ancients?
6. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
7. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
8. What steps has Bacon taken to devote himself wholly to his philosophy and to eliminate distractions from the outside world?
9. Why did Bacon believed that it was pointless to argue simple human observation?
10. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)