|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. We must avoid our ____if we want to see the pattern of the world..
2. Since the observer is ____, he must look to history for similar observations.
(d) Easily influenced.
3. The first part is referred to as being ______ outlined.
4. Instead, men placed too much focus on their ____.
(b) False beliefs.
5. Bacon refers to one's powers as being ____ and reasoning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Science descended from debates held by the ______.
2. Of the philosophers attempt to amend simple human observation with ridiculous _____.
3. Bacon believes that the human mind easily misuses its ____ in many ways.
4. Bacon states that a new logic has a different _____ from the old logic.
5. Bacon lays out a plan for organizing which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the culture needed for an observer.
2. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
3. How did Bacon explain why it was necessary to observe everything?
4. Explain the fourth, fifth and sixth parts of the text.
5. Why did Francis Bacon apologize to King James I in his dedication to "The Great Instauration?" What did Bacon say?
6. What are Bacon's thoughts on the advancement of philosophy?
7. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
8. What is Francis Bacon's main complaint about people realizing their strengths and weaknesses?
9. Why did Bacon believed that it was pointless to argue simple human observation?
10. What is the next step in the work? What tools can be used to accomplish the necessary tasks?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)