|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first part of the work is to equip the intellect to do which of the following?
(a) Be rebuilt.
(b) Process information.
(c) Move forward.
(d) Question itself.
2. Bacon believes that the human mind easily misuses its ____ in many ways.
(c) Gray matter.
3. Francis Bacon believes that it is ____ for him to write the following work.
4. Which of the following are said to have had no role except for in mechanics?
5. What term does Bacon use to describe syllogism?
(a) The pot calling the kettle black.
(b) Between a rock and a hard place.
(c) In one ear and out the other.
(d) Garbage in, garbage out.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is important that man be able to gather clues from _____.
2. What years did the King serve England?
3. The author states that the work is only a beginning that developing this philosophy is starting the real _____ of the human race.
4. Other forms of thinking may start out being easier but will most likely end up in ____ places.
5. The new logic is designed to command active ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bacon's advice to the people who would spend the majority of their time reading books on arts and sciences?
2. What are Bacon's thoughts on the advancement of philosophy?
3. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
4. What is the next step in the work? What tools can be used to accomplish the necessary tasks?
5. What steps has Bacon taken to devote himself wholly to his philosophy and to eliminate distractions from the outside world?
6. Why did Francis Bacon apologize to King James I in his dedication to "The Great Instauration?" What did Bacon say?
7. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
8. Why did Bacon feel experiments were necessary to prove one's logic?
9. Discuss the second part of The Great Instauration and Bacon's plan to define and explain it.
10. Explain the fourth, fifth and sixth parts of the text.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)