|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The problem is that common logic also requires more ____.
2. Which Biblical person was condemned for illicit moral knowledge?
3. Which of the following items is needed to find the systematic order a particular subject?
4. Francis Bacon believes that it is ____ for him to write the following work.
5. The _____ way starts out hard but ends in "open country."
Short Answer Questions
1. The modern ____ goes first from the senses to general propositions.
2. With clear ____, the intellect can become more powerful.
3. A person's examination of the world should involve true _____.
4. We need methods that can discover causes and deliver philosophy's first:
5. Often times the community was controlled by ______ rules.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the fourth, fifth and sixth parts of the text.
2. Explain the culture needed for an observer.
3. What is the opinion of the average man regarding the advancement of sciences?
4. What is Bacon's advice to the people who would spend the majority of their time reading books on arts and sciences?
5. What was the fault of the ancients regarding philosophy?
6. What was Bacon's way of counteracting the ways of the ancients?
7. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
8. What did Bacon say when people blame Adam's condemnation on science? What can be learned from the experience?
9. Briefly describe the overall purpose and any of the first part title "The Divisions of the Sciences."
10. How did Bacon explain why it was necessary to observe everything?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)