|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sixth part refers to the _______ course of inquiry.
2. The _____ way starts out hard but ends in "open country."
3. It is important that man be able to gather clues from _____.
(d) Each other.
4. Bacon states that people tend lean toward false and hasty ______.
5. Bacon begs the King to be a ____ and respecter of the Sciences.
Short Answer Questions
1. A person's examination of the world should involve true _____.
2. What is another name for "The Great Instauration?"
3. The author states that the work is only a beginning that developing this philosophy is starting the real _____ of the human race.
4. How many parts are there to the work?
5. Part of the reason for the movement was to show that the knowledge in _____ was stagnant.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
2. What happens to cause the wanderers to be confused and lost?
3. Why did Francis Bacon apologize to King James I in his dedication to "The Great Instauration?" What did Bacon say?
4. Bacon says that there is only way out of stagnation. What is it and why is it important?
5. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
6. What are Bacon's thoughts on the advancement of philosophy?
7. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
8. What is the opinion of the average man regarding the advancement of sciences?
9. What was Bacon's way of counteracting the ways of the ancients?
10. How did Bacon explain why it was necessary to observe everything?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)