|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the end, the two sides ended up arguing over ______.
2. It is the ____ of power that caused angels to fall.
3. The new logic is designed to command active ____.
4. Which is not one of the parts of the plan?
(a) Division of Sciences.
(b) The New Philosophy.
(c) History of Philosophy.
(d) The Ladder of the Intellect.
5. Which of the following promises to remedy the problem by offering repeatable testable methods of inquiry?
Short Answer Questions
1. This is accomplished through the use of ______.
2. Of the philosophers attempt to amend simple human observation with ridiculous _____.
3. Of the ideas of the mind are poorly constructed and ____.
4. What adjective is used to describe this particular course of inquiry?
5. Bacon lays out a plan for organizing which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the opinion of the average man regarding the advancement of sciences?
2. Discuss the second part of The Great Instauration and Bacon's plan to define and explain it.
3. How did Bacon explain why it was necessary to observe everything?
4. Define syllogism and the reason Bacon thought it was inferior to complete the task, which is to make men more forward thinking.
5. What was the fault of the ancients regarding philosophy?
6. Why did Francis Bacon apologize to King James I in his dedication to "The Great Instauration?" What did Bacon say?
7. What is the role of the modern logician? What does Bacon want to change about the process?
8. What is the next step in the work? What tools can be used to accomplish the necessary tasks?
9. Explain the culture needed for an observer.
10. Explain the third part of the work and its connection to phenomena.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)