|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bacon's goal is to collect particular _______ and then make inferences about general principles.
(a) Schools of thought.
2. Bacon believed that common sense established _____ certain degrees of assurance.
3. Bacon lays out a plan for organizing which of the following?
(b) Scientific inquiry.
4. This is accomplished through the use of ______.
5. The problem is that common logic also requires more ____.
6. The new logic is designed to command active ____.
7. What adjective is used to describe this particular course of inquiry?
8. Instead, men placed too much focus on their ____.
(d) False beliefs.
9. Bacon states that a new logic has a different _____ from the old logic.
(b) Starting point.
10. What term does Bacon use to describe syllogism?
(a) In one ear and out the other.
(b) Between a rock and a hard place.
(c) The pot calling the kettle black.
(d) Garbage in, garbage out.
11. Part of the reason for the movement was to show that the knowledge in _____ was stagnant.
(a) The Scientific Community.
(b) The Church.
(c) The public's consciousness.
12. Science descended from debates held by the ______.
13. Human reasoning is _____.
14. The modern ____ goes first from the senses to general propositions.
15. The _____ way starts out hard but ends in "open country."
Short Answer Questions
1. Other forms of thinking may start out being easier but will most likely end up in ____ places.
2. Which of the following are said to have had no role except for in mechanics?
3. It is the ____ of power that caused angels to fall.
4. The first part of the work is to equip the intellect to do which of the following?
5. In the end, the two sides ended up arguing over ______.
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)