|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Seven White Butterflies, which of these does Oliver compare the flying butterflies to?
2. In At Round Pond, what does Oliver say both life and death are?
3. What does Oliver do to the daisies at the end of Daisies?
4. What season does Song of the Builders take place in?
5. What does Oliver say is irrefutable in The Soul At Last?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oliver say we are all helping to build in Song of the Builders?
2. How is Prose Poem 2 worded, and what effect does this have on the reader?
3. What is the poet amazed by in Mindful?
4. In Grass, what does Oliver say humans could learn from inanimate objects?
5. How does Oliver describe the spirit in The Soul At Last?
6. In Mindful, what does Oliver say she sees everyday?
7. In While I am Writing a Poem to Celebrate Summer, the Meadowlark Begins to Sing, what does Oliver say she has envied her whole life?
8. Which authors does Oliver mention in Seven White Butterflies, and why?
9. In Grass, what does Oliver say is the most important time of all, and why?
10. In Mindful, where does Oliver say she gets all of her teaching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature and its power is a huge theme in this book. What are some of the main examples of this theme and how does this affect the tone of the poems?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and why you think Oliver chose to place these poems in those settings.
Essay Topic 3
Mary Oliver has an incredible gift for creating touching analogies. What are some of the analogies shared in these poems, and what are their deeper meanings?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)