|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season does Song of the Builders take place in?
2. What does Oliver wish to be at the end of Bleeding Heart?
3. In Seven White Butterflies, which of these does Oliver compare the flying butterflies to?
4. How is While I Am Writing a Poem to Celebrate Summer, the Meadowlark Begins to Sing formatted?
5. What does Oliver describe as dazzling in Spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. In May, what does Oliver say she wants to see?
2. What does Oliver state she can't wait for at the end of Long Afternoon at the Edge of Sister Pond?
3. What creature is described in Spring, and why?
4. In May, what does Oliver say makes her feel most alive?
5. What does Oliver say spring is like for humans?
6. What is Oliver admonishing the reader to do in How Would You Live Then?
7. In While I am Writing a Poem to Celebrate Summer, the Meadowlark Begins to Sing, what does Oliver compare the meadowlark's song to?
8. In Grass, what does Oliver say humans could learn from inanimate objects?
9. What are the two extremes Oliver describes about her life in Long Afternoon at the Edge of Sister Pond?
10. What is the overall feeling in Prose Poem 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were the themes of life and death shown together? Why do you think Oliver chose to present these themes in tangent with each other?
Essay Topic 2
What was the overall message being sent in Seven White Butterflies, and how was this theme presented?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the relationships spoken about in these poems, and what do they reveal about Mary Oliver's personality?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)