|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Have You Ever Tried to Enter the Long Black Branches different from the other poems in that section?
2. What are all the poems in the second section about?
3. In At Round Pond, what does Oliver say both life and death are?
4. In How Would You Live Then, what does Oliver talk about being inside walls?
5. How does Oliver describe the sound of snowflakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main message of Daisies?
2. In Grass, what does Oliver say humans could learn from inanimate objects?
3. In Grass, what does Oliver say nature does?
4. In May, what does Oliver say she wants to see?
5. In While I am Writing a Poem to Celebrate Summer, the Meadowlark Begins to Sing, what does Oliver compare the meadowlark's song to?
6. In While I am Writing a Poem to Celebrate Summer, the Meadowlark Begins to Sing, what does Oliver say she has envied her whole life?
7. Which authors does Oliver mention in Seven White Butterflies, and why?
8. What does Oliver talk about in Bleeding Heart?
9. How does Oliver describe the spirit in The Soul At Last?
10. In Grass, what does Oliver say is the most important time of all, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the overall message being sent in Seven White Butterflies, and how was this theme presented?
Essay Topic 2
Which of these poems did you relate most to, and why? What about that poem touched you in a personal way?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times in a number of different poems. What are some of these instances, and how are these examples different from each other?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)