|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Song of the Builders, where does Oliver go to think?
2. What does Oliver describe with the words red fire in Spring?
3. What creature is featured in May?
4. What kind of creature did Oliver write about in Song of the Builders?
5. What season is recalled in Prose Poem 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the overall feeling in Prose Poem 1?
2. In Mindful, where does Oliver say she gets all of her teaching?
3. What does Oliver say the owl is symbolic of in At Round Pond?
4. In Grass, what does Oliver say humans could learn from inanimate objects?
5. What are the two extremes Oliver describes about her life in Long Afternoon at the Edge of Sister Pond?
6. In May, what does Oliver say she wants to see?
7. What does Oliver say we are all helping to build in Song of the Builders?
8. How is Prose Poem 2 worded, and what effect does this have on the reader?
9. What is the main message of Song of the Builders?
10. What creature is described in Spring, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do these moments affect the tone of those poems?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the particular animals that were included in these poems, and what did their inclusion do to the tone of the poems?
Essay Topic 3
Laughter and happiness are common themes found in this book. Where do these come into play, and how are the poems with those themes different from the others in this book?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)