|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver observe at the end of Work Sometimes?
2. How was the poet traveling when she saw an animal in The Measure?
3. What does the editor say is Oliver's signature on her work?
4. What does Oliver say about our lives in The Measure?
5. What are we told to examine in Everything?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones, what is personified in the last lines?
2. What parts of grammar does Oliver say she wants to cherish in Everything, and why?
3. What did the turtle in The Measure do when Oliver stopped to help it?
4. What did Oliver compare the feet of the hawk to in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that Comes First?
5. At the beginning of The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that Comes First, what does Oliver state the hawk finds joy in?
6. In The Measure, what does Mary Oliver say her watched over life resulted in and why?
7. In Everything, where are some of the places Oliver states she wants to go when she writes?
8. At the end of Everything, what does Oliver say she wants her poems to do?
9. How did Oliver feel at the end of Work Sometimes?
10. In Everything, what kind of words does Oliver say she wants to avoid in her poetry, and what examples of good words does she give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Oliver has an incredible gift for creating touching analogies. What are some of the analogies shared in these poems, and what are their deeper meanings?
Essay Topic 2
What was the overall message being sent in Seven White Butterflies, and how was this theme presented?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the main examples of irony from these poems? How do these moments of irony change the tone of those poems?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)