|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the animal symbolic of in At Round Pond?
2. How does Oliver describe the eyes of the animal in At Round Pond?
3. What is unique about the format of On Goldenrod at Field's Edge?
(a) The stanzas run diagonally.
(b) It is in prose form.
(c) It has on-running stanzas.
(d) It is formatted in a circle.
4. In The Soul At Last, what is Oliver writing about doing?
(a) Burying a friend.
(b) Attending Mass.
(c) Watching the seasons change.
(d) Giving a eulogy.
5. What is distinct about the poems from West Wind?
(a) They are more adventurous.
(b) They are more philosophical.
(c) They have a sad tone.
(d) They are light and witty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver say is indefinable in The Soul At Last?
2. In Forty Years, what does Oliver say she struggles with?
3. In While I Am Writing a Poem to Celebrate Summer, the Meadowlark Begins to Sing, what is the song of the bird called?
4. In Long Afternoon at the Edge of Little Sister Pond, what does Oliver say life has been as soft as?
5. Which of these is a line from The Bleeding Heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the poet amazed by in Mindful?
2. In May, what does Oliver say makes her feel most alive?
3. How does Oliver describe letters in Forty Years?
4. What does Oliver talk about in Bleeding Heart?
5. What are some of the questions asked in How Would You Live Then?
6. What does Oliver say we are all helping to build in Song of the Builders?
7. In Mindful, where does Oliver say she gets all of her teaching?
8. In Grass, what does Oliver say nature does?
9. In While I am Writing a Poem to Celebrate Summer, the Meadowlark Begins to Sing, what does Oliver compare the meadowlark's song to?
10. How is Prose Poem 2 worded, and what effect does this have on the reader?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)