|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Everything, what does Oliver compare elaboration to?
(a) Vests with ties.
(b) Striped canes.
(c) Frills and lace.
(d) Puffed sleeves.
2. What else does the editor say there is an absence of in the first section of poems?
(a) Obscure references.
(d) Confusing similes.
3. Which of the following is not a place Oliver says she wants to be while writing her poems in Everything?
(a) A spot of grass.
(b) A field of daisies.
(c) Her own house.
(d) A boat at sea.
4. What does Oliver want to celebrate in Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones?
(c) Daily mysteries.
5. What does Oliver compare picking the right words to in Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones?
(a) Sorting money.
(b) Threading a needle.
(c) Growing a garden.
(d) Picking fruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver say is NOT praying in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
2. What animal is featured in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
3. What does the editor say there is an absence of in the first section of poems?
4. What does Oliver think people should pay more attention to in life?
5. What does Oliver like to assign to inanimate objects in her poems?
Short Essay Questions
1. In The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that Comes First, what is the bird doing at the beginning of the poem?
2. In Work Sometimes, what does Oliver say happiness truly is?
3. What does Oliver state the reader has probably felt before in Work Sometimes?
4. In Everything, what does Oliver say she wants her poems to be able to do?
5. How did Oliver feel at the end of Work Sometimes?
6. In Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones, what does Oliver say about the pond?
7. In Work Sometimes, what are some of the things that Oliver lists as NOT leading to happiness?
8. In Everything, what kind of words does Oliver say she wants to avoid in her poetry, and what examples of good words does she give?
9. What did the hawk do at the end of The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that Comes First?
10. In Everything, where are some of the places Oliver states she wants to go when she writes?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)