|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day did the poet try to save the animal in The Measure?
2. What style is Work Sometimes written in?
(c) First Person.
(d) Second Person.
3. What did Oliver say she was outside of while writing Work Sometimes?
(a) Her usual style.
(b) Her authentic self.
(c) Her intended purpose.
(d) Her natural setting.
4. In Everything, what are we told to do in order to truly grasp the idea of poetry?
(a) The singular.
(c) The unimportant.
(d) The temporary.
5. How many poems are in the first section?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are we told to examine in Everything?
2. Which of these words is used by the editor to describe Oliver's style?
3. What does Oliver like to assign to inanimate objects in her poems?
4. What does the editor say Oliver is NOT trying to do with the poems in the first section?
5. What animal is featured in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones, what does Oliver ask about a turtle?
2. In The Measure, how does Oliver say the turtle came to choose its course of travel for the day Oliver saw it?
3. In The Measure, what does Oliver say happens to the lives that are watched over?
4. In The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that Comes First, what does Mary Oliver state the real method of praying should be?
5. What is the main question Oliver asks in Work Sometimes?
6. At the beginning of The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that Comes First, what does Oliver state the hawk finds joy in?
7. What did Oliver compare the feet of the hawk to in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that Comes First?
8. In Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones, what does Oliver say about the pond?
9. What parts of grammar does Oliver say she wants to cherish in Everything, and why?
10. In Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones, what is personified in the last lines?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)