|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the editor say there is an absence of in the first section of poems?
(a) Deep analogies.
(d) Inside jokes.
2. What is the subject of Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones?
(c) Personal identity.
3. What was singing to Oliver in Work Sometimes?
(a) The radio.
(b) The wind.
(c) Street cars.
4. How many poems are in the first section?
5. In Work sometimes, which of these does Oliver list as something that happiness is NOT?
(a) A town on a map.
(b) Work ongoing.
(c) A trip to an aunt.
(d) The need to push onward.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver call the things in life that are not human?
2. What does Oliver say about our lives in The Measure?
3. Why did Oliver choose the tone she did at the beginning of Work Sometimes?
4. What kind of words does Oliver hope to find while writing in Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones?
5. What was a joy to the animal featured in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones, what does Oliver say about the pond?
2. In The Measure, what does Oliver say happens to the lives that are watched over?
3. In Work Sometimes, what are some of the things that Oliver lists as NOT leading to happiness?
4. In Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones, what does Oliver ask about a turtle?
5. What does Oliver say she wants to honor with her poem, Everything?
6. In Work Sometimes, what does Oliver say happiness truly is?
7. At the end of Everything, what does Oliver say she wants her poems to do?
8. How did Oliver feel at the beginning of Work Sometimes and why?
9. At the beginning of The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that Comes First, what does Oliver state the hawk finds joy in?
10. What did the turtle in The Measure do when Oliver stopped to help it?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)