|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What storms out of the darkness in May?
2. What did Oliver say the woman who planted the bleeding heart plant probably got joy from in The Bleeding Heart?
(a) Productive things.
(b) Simple things.
(c) Pretty things.
(d) Meaningful things.
3. How many quatrains make up Forty Years?
4. In Long Afternoon at the Edge of Little Sister Pond, what does Oliver say the tree angel is watching over?
(a) A bird.
(b) The stillness.
(c) An egg.
(d) The pond.
5. What makes Have You Ever Tried to Enter the Long Black Branches different from the other poems in that section?
(a) A lack of grammar.
(b) Visual separators.
(c) It includes an illustration.
(d) It is in prose form.
6. In Long Afternoon at the Edge of Little Sister Pond, what does Oliver say life has been as hard as?
7. What are the butterflies doing at the end of Seven White Butterflies?
8. What are all the poems in the third section about?
9. Which of these is a line from Long Afternoon at the Edge of Little Sister Pond?
(a) How many times will this cycle repeat?
(b) Both of these, over and over.
(c) Again and again the song repeats.
(d) Once, twice, however many more.
10. What literary device is used heavily in Prose Poem 2?
11. In How Would You Live Then, what does Oliver talk about being an adviser?
(a) A mockingbird.
(b) A sunflower.
(c) A dog.
(d) A memory.
12. Which of these is a phrase from At Round Pond?
(a) Flight and frenzy.
(b) Flow of living.
(c) Lush of meaning.
(d) Need for nothing.
13. What kind of creature did Oliver write about in Song of the Builders?
(a) A cricket.
(b) A firefly.
(c) An ant.
(d) A butterfly.
14. What does Oliver say we are building in Song of the Builders?
(a) The universe.
(b) The nation.
(c) The past.
(d) The future.
15. How does Oliver describe H's in Forty Years?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver call the prey in Prose Poem 2?
2. What season does Song of the Builders take place in?
3. In Prose Poem 1, what does Oliver say the season she talks about was full of?
4. What are cantos?
5. What does Oliver say would make the mocker silent in Daisies?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)