|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Mindful, what does Oliver say she was born to do?
(a) All of these.
(b) To listen.
(c) To look.
(d) To lose herself.
2. How many lines is Prose Poem 1?
3. In Seven White Butterflies, what does Oliver compare butterfly wings to?
4. What does Oliver compare herself to at the beginning of Mindful?
(a) A needle.
(b) A figure.
(c) A speck.
(d) A blade of grass.
5. What is distinct about the poems from West Wind?
(a) They have a sad tone.
(b) They are light and witty.
(c) They are more adventurous.
(d) They are more philosophical.
6. What did Oliver say the woman who planted the bleeding heart plant probably got joy from in The Bleeding Heart?
(a) Simple things.
(b) Pretty things.
(c) Productive things.
(d) Meaningful things.
7. How is The Bleeding Heart formatted?
(a) Prose form.
(b) Limerick form.
(c) Sonnett form.
(d) Choral form.
8. What is the prey in Prose Poem 2?
(a) A hummingbird.
(b) A snake.
(c) A starling.
(d) A mouse.
9. What do the bees in May do?
10. In Mindful, what does Oliver say almost kills her every day?
11. What makes Have You Ever Tried to Enter the Long Black Branches different from the other poems in that section?
(a) It is in prose form.
(b) It includes an illustration.
(c) Visual separators.
(d) A lack of grammar.
12. What mocks Oliver in Daisies?
(a) An owl.
(b) A hornet.
(c) A mockingbird.
(d) A crane.
13. What does Oliver say all narrative is in Prose Poem 2?
14. How does Oliver describe Have You Ever Tried to Enter the Long Black Branches?
(a) A psalm.
(b) An observation.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A meditation.
15. Which of these is a line from Prose Poem 1?
(a) How hopeful we were.
(b) We just knew not.
(c) How strong is the stillness.
(d) Never will we know for sure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Oliver say she learns from in Mindful?
2. Which of these words does Oliver use to describe letters in Forty Years?
3. Which of these is a line from Seven White Butterflies?
4. What adjective does Oliver use to describe the world in Mindful?
5. How does Oliver describe H's in Forty Years?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)