|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Everything, what are we told to look to for examination?
(a) Our goals.
(b) Our God.
(d) Our surroundings.
2. In Work sometimes, which of these does Oliver list as something that happiness is NOT?
(a) A trip to an aunt.
(b) Work ongoing.
(c) A town on a map.
(d) The need to push onward.
3. How does the editor describe the thought put into these poems?
4. What does Oliver say she wants readers of Everything to look beyond?
(a) The page.
(b) The lines.
(c) The meaning.
(d) The words.
5. What is found by Oliver, belonging to a heron, in Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones?
(a) A print.
(b) A feather.
(c) A nest.
(d) An egg.
6. What was a joy to the animal featured in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
7. What is Oliver's most commonly used literary device in these poems?
8. What does Oliver think people should pay more attention to in life?
9. In Everything, what does Oliver say she has faith in?
(a) Her art.
(b) Her words.
(c) Her God.
10. How is Oliver trying to establish the intimacy she desires in Work Sometimes?
(a) She has some suggestive innuendos.
(b) She is very open.
(c) She uses a conversational tone.
(d) She breaks down some barriers.
11. What does the editor say Oliver is NOT trying to do with the poems in the first section?
(a) Make the reader think.
(b) Surprise the reader.
(c) Observe nature.
(d) Observe humanity.
12. What does Oliver try to identify at the beginning of Work Sometimes?
(a) A shared experience.
(b) An identity.
(c) A memorable moment.
(d) A happy memory.
13. What is Oliver trying to establish an intimacy with in Work Sometimes?
(a) A man.
(b) The reader.
(d) Her God.
14. What is Oliver trying to describe with the lilt in the words in Everything?
(d) Human Nature.
15. What does Oliver observe at the end of Work Sometimes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What belongs to the animal in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
2. What does the editor say new readers of Oliver will feel when they read the first section?
3. What does the editor say there is an absence of in the first section of poems?
4. What does Oliver want to celebrate in Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones?
5. What did Oliver say she was outside of while writing Work Sometimes?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)