|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Oliver trying to describe with the lilt in the words in Everything?
(d) Human Nature.
2. What are we told to examine in Everything?
(a) Our emotions.
(b) Our needs.
(c) Our desires.
(d) Our motivations.
3. What were the feet of the animal compared to in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
(c) The Sun.
4. What did Oliver say she was outside of while writing Work Sometimes?
(a) Her intended purpose.
(b) Her natural setting.
(c) Her authentic self.
(d) Her usual style.
5. Why did Oliver choose the simple titles for her poems?
(a) To take the guesswork away from the reader.
(b) To guide the reader.
(c) To leave the interpretation open.
(d) To make her thoughts obscure.
6. How do the characters in Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones feel about the events in the poem?
(a) They are commonplace.
(b) They are unexpected.
(c) They are miraculaous.
(d) They are frightening.
7. What did the animal in The Measure do when the poet tried to save it?
(a) Bit her.
(b) Looked into her eye.
(c) Ran away.
(d) Hissed at her.
8. Which of these words is used by the editor to describe Oliver's style?
(a) All of these.
9. What does Oliver try to identify at the beginning of Work Sometimes?
(a) A memorable moment.
(b) A shared experience.
(c) A happy memory.
(d) An identity.
10. Which of these is a line from The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
(a) How can we be as they?
(b) Where does it go and why?
(c) How does one see and turn away.
(d) Where can we turn for peace?
11. What does Oliver call most of her poems?
(d) Statements of truth.
12. What kind of hands does Oliver hope to write her poetry with?
(a) Useful hands.
(b) Busy hands.
(c) Rough hands.
(d) Quiet hands.
13. What does Oliver want to celebrate in Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones?
(d) Daily mysteries.
14. What poet did Oliver live with for a time?
15. What is the name of the first section of poems in this group?
(c) The Begininning.
(d) New Poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver say she wants readers of Everything to look beyond?
2. How does Oliver describe her poetry in Everything?
3. How was the poet traveling when she saw an animal in The Measure?
4. How does Oliver say Everything first came to her?
5. What does the editor say there is an absence of in the first section of poems?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)