|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Oliver's most commonly used literary device in these poems?
2. What had stacked up on the table in Work Sometimes?
(d) All of these.
3. How does the editor describe the language in the first section of poems?
4. In Work Sometimes, what does Oliver say happiness is?
(a) Moments of peace.
(b) A job well done.
(d) Work ongoing.
5. How does the editor describe the thought put into these poems?
6. What is found by Oliver, belonging to a heron, in Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones?
(a) An egg.
(b) A feather.
(c) A nest.
(d) A print.
7. What does Oliver try to avoid awkwardness in as she is writing?
(c) Subject matter.
8. In Everything, what are we told to look to for examination?
(a) Our God.
(c) Our goals.
(d) Our surroundings.
9. What tone does Oliver take on at the end of Work Sometimes?
10. What was a joy to the animal featured in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
11. What does the editor say there is an absence of in the first section of poems?
(b) Deep analogies.
(c) Inside jokes.
12. What time of day did the poet try to save the animal in The Measure?
13. According to Oliver, what is the question mark's bold sister?
(a) The exclamation point.
(b) The comma.
(c) The semicolon.
(d) The dash.
14. Why does Oliver like to use her most common literary device?
(a) It broadens understanding of humans.
(b) It comes easily to her.
(c) It is a symbolic form of writing.
(d) It makes her work unique.
15. What color were the eyes of the animal in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
Short Answer Questions
1. What belongs to the animal in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
2. How is the animal featured in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First described in the first lines?
3. What does the editor say is Oliver's signature on her work?
4. Why did Oliver choose the tone she did at the beginning of Work Sometimes?
5. Which of the following is a line from Work Sometimes?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)