|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What amazing event happens to the catbird in Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones?
(a) Building a nest.
(b) Finding a mate.
(c) Learning to fly.
(d) Hatching eggs.
2. What animal is featured in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
(a) A gull.
(b) A falcon.
(c) A hawk.
(d) An eagle.
3. In Everything, what does Oliver say she has faith in?
(a) Her art.
(b) Her God.
(d) Her words.
4. What belongs to the animal in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
(a) The heavens.
(b) The life it has claimed.
(c) The water.
(d) The earth and sky.
5. How does Oliver describe her poetry in Everything?
(a) Her creation.
(b) Her art.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her message.
6. What did the rain in Work Sometimes do to the flowers in the yard?
(a) Made them fragrant.
(b) Killed them.
(c) Brought them out of the earth.
(d) Made them shine.
7. What does Oliver think people should pay more attention to in life?
8. How does Oliver say Everything first came to her?
(a) A moment of calm.
(b) A dream.
(c) A vision.
(d) A quiet whispering.
9. Why does Oliver like to use her most common literary device?
(a) It is a symbolic form of writing.
(b) It comes easily to her.
(c) It broadens understanding of humans.
(d) It makes her work unique.
10. What does Oliver try to provide multiple avenues for in her poems?
(c) Thought provocation.
11. How does the editor describe the thought put into these poems?
12. Which of these words is used by the editor to describe Oliver's style?
(d) All of these.
13. What does Oliver try to avoid awkwardness in as she is writing?
(c) Subject matter.
14. How is Oliver trying to establish the intimacy she desires in Work Sometimes?
(a) She has some suggestive innuendos.
(b) She uses a conversational tone.
(c) She is very open.
(d) She breaks down some barriers.
15. What should one be transcending according to Everything?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the feet of the animal compared to in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
2. How does the editor describe the language in the first section of poems?
3. How many poems are in the first section?
4. What is Oliver's most commonly used literary device in these poems?
5. What style is Work Sometimes written in?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)