|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through New Poems (2004 - 2005).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of citizen did the poet call the animal in The Measure?
2. What does Oliver want to celebrate in Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones?
(b) Daily mysteries.
3. Where did Oliver attend college?
(a) Ohio State University.
(b) Indiana State University.
(c) Iowa State University.
(d) Wisconsin State University.
4. What belongs to the animal in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
(a) The earth and sky.
(b) The life it has claimed.
(c) The heavens.
(d) The water.
5. Why does Oliver like to use her most common literary device?
(a) It is a symbolic form of writing.
(b) It comes easily to her.
(c) It makes her work unique.
(d) It broadens understanding of humans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver try to avoid awkwardness in as she is writing?
2. What should one be transcending according to Everything?
3. What else does the editor say there is an absence of in the first section of poems?
4. How do the characters in Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones feel about the events in the poem?
5. Why did Oliver choose the tone she did at the beginning of Work Sometimes?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)