|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sections II through VII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What belongs to the animal in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
(a) The earth and sky.
(b) The water.
(c) The heavens.
(d) The life it has claimed.
2. What does Oliver call the prey in Prose Poem 2?
(a) A frightened tidbit.
(b) A flashing jewel.
(c) A piece of nothing.
(d) A piece of heart.
3. What color were the eyes of the animal in The Real Prayers are Not the Words, but the Attention that comes First?
4. How does Oliver use plants and animals in her poems?
(a) They are her distractions.
(b) They are her focal point.
(c) They are her foils.
(d) They are her friends.
5. What is the turtle in Mysteries, Four of the Simple Ones, doing?
(a) Teaching her babies to swim.
(b) Burying her eggs.
(d) Swimming in the lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the editor say Oliver is NOT trying to do with the poems in the first section?
2. Which of these is a line from Seven White Butterflies?
3. What does Oliver describe as dazzling in Spring?
4. How is Oliver trying to establish the intimacy she desires in Work Sometimes?
5. What necessity has Oliver resigned to in Forty Years?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)