|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Xayide claims that her will is strong enough to do what?
2. Who does Atreyu declare is the winner fo the tournament?
3. Who guards Bastian's tent at night?
4. What is Yikka?
5. When Bastian finds himself hovering in the dark, what does The Empress say to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Bastian's wish for wisdom backfires on him.
2. What does Bastian find that the people of Amarganth like to do and what problem do they have with their hobby?
3. Describe the relationship between Bastian, Falkor and Atreyu after Xayide joins their ranks.
4. Describe the image of Bastian, as the Empress sees him.
5. Describe Atreyu's meeting with the Empress.
6. Why does Bastian get rid of his mule, Yikka and how does he try to make it up to her?
7. How does the tournament in Amarganth end?
8. Describe where the Old Man of Wandering Mountain lives.
9. What happens when Bastian asks the other knights about Hynreck?
10. Who is the Old Man of Wandering Mountain and why does the Empress try to find him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Atreyu in detail. What is his role in the story? What is his relationship to Bastian? What idea, concept or moral do you feel that Atreyu represents and why? Use examples from the story to emphasize your point.
Essay Topic 2
When Bastian finally returns home, he has learned to love. Use examples from the book and real life to explain what love means to you. How important is it to love others? Is it more or less important to love yourself?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what each of the three Southern Oracle gates represents. What lessons do they teach? How are those lessons applied, later in the book?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)