|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the clock strikes 12, Bastian calls out the Empress' name and what happens?
2. What is the name of the princess who wants to marry the best knight in the tournament?
3. What does Bastian name the desert that he creates?
4. What does the back of the Auryn say?
5. What is the name of the silver city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the day of the coronation?
2. What happens when the group finally reaches the Ivory Tower?
3. Who is Grograman and what is the relationship between him, Perilin and Goab?
4. Describe how Bastian's wish for wisdom backfires on him.
5. What happens to Xayide and Bastian's army when they reach the City of Old Emperors?
6. Why is Bastian the first one that Grograman has ever talked to?
7. Why does Bastian get rid of his mule, Yikka and how does he try to make it up to her?
8. Who do the orchids belong to and what happens as the travelers pass through them?
9. Who are the Know-Nothings?
10. What does Bastian find that the people of Amarganth like to do and what problem do they have with their hobby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is full of symbolism. Choose one of the following situations and explain what it symbolizes and what lessons it teaches:
1. Bastian changing into the Empress' image of him
2. Bastian wounding Atreyu with Sikandra
3. Bastian's encounter with the Know-Nothings
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following characters and explain, in detail, what role they played in the book. Be sure to explain not just what they did and when, but also how it affected the other characters and the plot, as well as what point or moral they may have tried to instill to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Atreyu in detail. What is his role in the story? What is his relationship to Bastian? What idea, concept or moral do you feel that Atreyu represents and why? Use examples from the story to emphasize your point.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)