|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Grograman at night?
2. Bastian regrets creating what, as the travelers see destruction on their way to The Ivory Tower?
3. What wish finally gets Bastian out of The Temple?
4. Bastian's silence leaves The Princess no choice but to do what?
5. What warning does Grograman give Bastian about the Temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bastian get rid of his mule, Yikka and how does he try to make it up to her?
2. Who is Grograman and what is the relationship between him, Perilin and Goab?
3. What happens to Xayide and Bastian's army when they reach the City of Old Emperors?
4. What happens when Bastian asks the other knights about Hynreck?
5. What does Bastian find that the people of Amarganth like to do and what problem do they have with their hobby?
6. What happens on the day of the coronation?
7. What happens when Bastian spends the night in Grograman's castle?
8. What are the knights that Bastian meets, after he leaves the Temple, on their way to do?
9. Describe how Bastian's wish for wisdom backfires on him.
10. Describe Atreyu's meeting with the Empress.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bastian struggles with image throughout the story. Use examples from the book, as well as real life situations, to explain how self-image can affect people's actions and thoughts. Do you think that people's self-image is caused by how they are treated by others, or that they are treated by others based on their self-image? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Answer any one of the following three questions using examples from the story to support your answer:
1. Is the Neverending Story a metaphor for life? If so, why? If not, why not?
2. What is the difference between a dream, a fantasy and a wish in both the book and real life?
3. How important is self image, both to Bastian and to people in general, and how does it change a person's views and actions?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story, Bastian steals a book. He feels compelled to do so. Do you feel that there is ever a good reason for a person to steal? Was it OK for Bastian to take the book, since he later returned it? Explain your answer in detail.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)