|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Atreyu realizes that the Auryn seems to work differently for humans and is doing what to Bastian?
2. Bastian's silence leaves The Princess no choice but to do what?
3. How many days away is Bastian's coronation when Xayide convinces him to take over as the Childlike Emperor?
4. What does Bastian do with Sikandra?
5. How many suits of armor attack the travelers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Temple of a Thousand Doors and who tells Bastian about it?
2. Describe the relationship between Bastian, Falkor and Atreyu after Xayide joins their ranks.
3. Describe where the Old Man of Wandering Mountain lives.
4. What happens when Bastian asks the other knights about Hynreck?
5. Why does Bastian finally speak Moon Child's name?
6. What happens when Bastian spends the night in Grograman's castle?
7. Why is Bastian the first one that Grograman has ever talked to?
8. Who is the Old Man of Wandering Mountain and why does the Empress try to find him?
9. Describe Atreyu's meeting with the Empress.
10. Why does Bastian get rid of his mule, Yikka and how does he try to make it up to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following characters and explain, in detail, what role they played in the book. Be sure to explain not just what they did and when, but also how it affected the other characters and the plot, as well as what point or moral they may have tried to instill to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Opposites are a theme in the book. Choose one of the following sets of opposites and use examples from the book to explain how they are opposites and how that helps them to interact.
1. Atreyu and Bastian
2. Perilin and Goab
3. The Empress and the Old Man of Wandering Mountain
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story, Bastian steals a book. He feels compelled to do so. Do you feel that there is ever a good reason for a person to steal? Was it OK for Bastian to take the book, since he later returned it? Explain your answer in detail.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)