|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Acharis later called?
2. What does the Empress ask the Old Man to do?
3. How many suits of armor attack the travelers?
4. What warning does Grograman give Bastian about the Temple?
5. Bastian and Grograman enjoy doing what in the sand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Xayide and Bastian's army when they reach the City of Old Emperors?
2. What happens on the day of the coronation?
3. Why does Bastian get rid of his mule, Yikka and how does he try to make it up to her?
4. What happens when Bastian asks the other knights about Hynreck?
5. What is the Temple of a Thousand Doors and who tells Bastian about it?
6. How does the tournament in Amarganth end?
7. What happens when Bastian spends the night in Grograman's castle?
8. Describe the image of Bastian, as the Empress sees him.
9. Describe Atreyu's meeting with the Empress.
10. Describe where the Old Man of Wandering Mountain lives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the story, Bastian steals a book. He feels compelled to do so. Do you feel that there is ever a good reason for a person to steal? Was it OK for Bastian to take the book, since he later returned it? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Bastian struggles with image throughout the story. Use examples from the book, as well as real life situations, to explain how self-image can affect people's actions and thoughts. Do you think that people's self-image is caused by how they are treated by others, or that they are treated by others based on their self-image? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Much of the story is about the power to manipulate people or events. Using examples from the story, as well as daily life, explain ways in which people try to manipulate both other people and situations. Do you feel that it is ever good or necessary to try to manipulate others or a situation? Explain your answer in detail.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)