|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of animal advises Bastian about the residents of the strange town?
2. How does the Old Man react to the Empress' request about the book?
3. What happens to Grograman at night?
4. When Bastian learns that the Amarganthians are storytellers, how does he help them?
5. How is the picture that Bastian finds destroyed?
Essay Topic 1
Bastian is asked to describe Fantastica a few times in the book. Now it's your turn. Define Fantastica in your terms. What do you think determines how big or small Fantastica is? Is everyone's version of Fantastica different? In what ways?
Essay Topic 2
The Nothing represents people forgetting about Fantastica. As people stop believing, the Nothing takes over Fantastica. What sort of person are you? Do you still dream and believe in fantasies? Why or why not? Use examples from life, as well as the book, to back your choice up.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story, Bastian steals a book. He feels compelled to do so. Do you feel that there is ever a good reason for a person to steal? Was it OK for Bastian to take the book, since he later returned it? Explain your answer in detail.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)