|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the princess who wants to marry the best knight in the tournament?
2. Atreyu realizes that the Auryn seems to work differently for humans and is doing what to Bastian?
3. What does Bastian name the desert that he creates?
4. Argax tells Bastian that his only hope of getting home now is to cross The Sea of what?
5. Bastian regrets creating what, as the travelers see destruction on their way to The Ivory Tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bastian find that the people of Amarganth like to do and what problem do they have with their hobby?
2. Describe the relationship between Bastian, Falkor and Atreyu after Xayide joins their ranks.
3. What happens to Xayide and Bastian's army when they reach the City of Old Emperors?
4. Describe Atreyu's meeting with the Empress.
5. Describe how Bastian's wish for wisdom backfires on him.
6. Describe the image of Bastian, as the Empress sees him.
7. Why does Bastian get rid of his mule, Yikka and how does he try to make it up to her?
8. Describe where the Old Man of Wandering Mountain lives.
9. What are the knights that Bastian meets, after he leaves the Temple, on their way to do?
10. What is the Temple of a Thousand Doors and who tells Bastian about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following characters and explain, in detail, what role they played in the book. Be sure to explain not just what they did and when, but also how it affected the other characters and the plot, as well as what point or moral they may have tried to instill to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Opposites are a theme in the book. Choose one of the following sets of opposites and use examples from the book to explain how they are opposites and how that helps them to interact.
1. Atreyu and Bastian
2. Perilin and Goab
3. The Empress and the Old Man of Wandering Mountain
Essay Topic 3
The book is full of symbolism. Choose one of the following situations and explain what it symbolizes and what lessons it teaches:
1. Bastian changing into the Empress' image of him
2. Bastian wounding Atreyu with Sikandra
3. Bastian's encounter with the Know-Nothings
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)