|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bastian and Grograman enjoy doing what in the sand?
2. As the clock strikes 12, Bastian calls out the Empress' name and what happens?
3. What happens to Grograman at night?
4. How does the Old Man react to the Empress' request about the book?
5. Bastian's silence leaves The Princess no choice but to do what?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following characters and explain, in detail, what role they played in the book. Be sure to explain not just what they did and when, but also how it affected the other characters and the plot, as well as what point or moral they may have tried to instill to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Opposites are a theme in the book. Choose one of the following sets of opposites and use examples from the book to explain how they are opposites and how that helps them to interact.
1. Atreyu and Bastian
2. Perilin and Goab
3. The Empress and the Old Man of Wandering Mountain
Essay Topic 3
The theme of four forces is a common one in the book. There are the four messengers we meet when Bastian first begins reading, the four Wind Giants and the four Knights, to name a few. Using examples from the book, write about what you think the four forces represent and how they add to the book.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)