|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Xayide?
2. The group is awakened by a group of ugly worms doing what?
3. When Bastian finds himself hovering in the dark, what does The Empress say to him?
4. Who does Atreyu declare is the winner fo the tournament?
5. Bastian and Grograman enjoy doing what in the sand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Grograman and what is the relationship between him, Perilin and Goab?
2. Describe how Bastian's wish for wisdom backfires on him.
3. As they travel towards the Ivory Tower without really knowing their destination, what does Atreyu begin to notice about Bastian?
4. Who is the Old Man of Wandering Mountain and why does the Empress try to find him?
5. What does Bastian find that the people of Amarganth like to do and what problem do they have with their hobby?
6. Who do the orchids belong to and what happens as the travelers pass through them?
7. Describe the image of Bastian, as the Empress sees him.
8. Who are the Know-Nothings?
9. How does the tournament in Amarganth end?
10. Who is Dame Eyola and how does she help Bastian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forgiveness and redemption is a big theme in the book. Choose one of the following relationships and explain how redemption and forgiveness play a role in it.
1. Bastian and his father
2. Bastian and Eyola
3. Bastian and Mr. Coreander
4. Bastian and Atreyu
Essay Topic 2
When Bastian finally returns home, he has learned to love. Use examples from the book and real life to explain what love means to you. How important is it to love others? Is it more or less important to love yourself?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following characters and explain, in detail, what role they played in the book. Be sure to explain not just what they did and when, but also how it affected the other characters and the plot, as well as what point or moral they may have tried to instill to the reader.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)