|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bastian do to cheer up the Acharis?
2. How does the Old Man react to the Empress' request about the book?
3. Atreyu realizes that the Auryn seems to work differently for humans and is doing what to Bastian?
4. Xayide claims that her will is strong enough to do what?
5. What is the name of the silver city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe where the Old Man of Wandering Mountain lives.
2. Who is Dame Eyola and how does she help Bastian?
3. What are the knights that Bastian meets, after he leaves the Temple, on their way to do?
4. What happens when Bastian asks the other knights about Hynreck?
5. What is the Temple of a Thousand Doors and who tells Bastian about it?
6. Who are the Know-Nothings?
7. Who do the orchids belong to and what happens as the travelers pass through them?
8. Describe how Bastian's wish for wisdom backfires on him.
9. Describe Atreyu's meeting with the Empress.
10. What does Bastian find that the people of Amarganth like to do and what problem do they have with their hobby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Atreyu in detail. What is his role in the story? What is his relationship to Bastian? What idea, concept or moral do you feel that Atreyu represents and why? Use examples from the story to emphasize your point.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how you feel that Bastian's character changes throughout the book and when he seems to make those changes. Also, using examples from the book, explain whether you feel that those changes are for the better or for the worse and why.
Essay Topic 3
To return home, Bastian has to find the Water of LIfe. Later, when reunited with his father, Bastian sees his father cry and realizes that he has brought his father the Water of Life after all. Write a detailed explanation of what you think the Water of Life represents in the book, as well as in real life. Is the Water of Life different to different people? What is your version of the Water of Life?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)