|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Atreyu wakes up after The Princess leaves, and finds himself where?
2. What does The Empress tell Bastian to do in order to recreate Fantastica?
3. How is the picture that Bastian finds destroyed?
4. What is the name of the princess who wants to marry the best knight in the tournament?
5. Where does The Old Man live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Temple of a Thousand Doors and who tells Bastian about it?
2. Describe the relationship between Bastian, Falkor and Atreyu after Xayide joins their ranks.
3. Who is Dame Eyola and how does she help Bastian?
4. As they travel towards the Ivory Tower without really knowing their destination, what does Atreyu begin to notice about Bastian?
5. What does Bastian find that the people of Amarganth like to do and what problem do they have with their hobby?
6. What are the knights that Bastian meets, after he leaves the Temple, on their way to do?
7. What happens on the day of the coronation?
8. Describe where the Old Man of Wandering Mountain lives.
9. What happens when the group finally reaches the Ivory Tower?
10. What happens when Bastian asks the other knights about Hynreck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is full of symbolism. Choose one of the following situations and explain what it symbolizes and what lessons it teaches:
1. Bastian changing into the Empress' image of him
2. Bastian wounding Atreyu with Sikandra
3. Bastian's encounter with the Know-Nothings
Essay Topic 2
Answer any one of the following three questions using examples from the story to support your answer:
1. Is the Neverending Story a metaphor for life? If so, why? If not, why not?
2. What is the difference between a dream, a fantasy and a wish in both the book and real life?
3. How important is self image, both to Bastian and to people in general, and how does it change a person's views and actions?
Essay Topic 3
Mr Coreander may seem to play a small roll in the book, but he actually has an integral role in the story. Explain what Mr. Coreander represents to you? Use examples from the book to explain your response.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)