|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the picture that Bastian finds destroyed?
2. Argax tells Bastian that his only hope of getting home now is to cross The Sea of what?
3. What does the Empress ask the Old Man to do?
4. What does The Empress tell Bastian to do in order to recreate Fantastica?
5. Bastian regrets creating what, as the travelers see destruction on their way to The Ivory Tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. As they travel towards the Ivory Tower without really knowing their destination, what does Atreyu begin to notice about Bastian?
2. Describe the image of Bastian, as the Empress sees him.
3. Describe how Bastian's wish for wisdom backfires on him.
4. What happens to Xayide and Bastian's army when they reach the City of Old Emperors?
5. Who is the Old Man of Wandering Mountain and why does the Empress try to find him?
6. What happens when the group finally reaches the Ivory Tower?
7. Who do the orchids belong to and what happens as the travelers pass through them?
8. What are the knights that Bastian meets, after he leaves the Temple, on their way to do?
9. What happens when Bastian spends the night in Grograman's castle?
10. What does Bastian find that the people of Amarganth like to do and what problem do they have with their hobby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Auryn plays a major roll in the book. Explain, using details from the book, how it helps, hurts and otherwise affects both Atreyu and, later, Bastian.
Essay Topic 2
To return home, Bastian has to find the Water of LIfe. Later, when reunited with his father, Bastian sees his father cry and realizes that he has brought his father the Water of Life after all. Write a detailed explanation of what you think the Water of Life represents in the book, as well as in real life. Is the Water of Life different to different people? What is your version of the Water of Life?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following characters and explain, in detail, what role they played in the book. Be sure to explain not just what they did and when, but also how it affected the other characters and the plot, as well as what point or moral they may have tried to instill to the reader.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)