|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bastian explains the meaning of Grograman's existence, Grograman gives him what in exchange?
2. What does Bastian name the desert that he creates?
3. When Bastian learns that the Amarganthians are storytellers, how does he help them?
4. What does Yor, the blind miner, mine?
5. What happens to Grograman at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bastian find that the people of Amarganth like to do and what problem do they have with their hobby?
2. What happens to Xayide and Bastian's army when they reach the City of Old Emperors?
3. What happens when the group finally reaches the Ivory Tower?
4. Describe the image of Bastian, as the Empress sees him.
5. Why is Bastian the first one that Grograman has ever talked to?
6. What happens when Bastian asks the other knights about Hynreck?
7. Who do the orchids belong to and what happens as the travelers pass through them?
8. Why does Bastian get rid of his mule, Yikka and how does he try to make it up to her?
9. Who are the Know-Nothings?
10. Who is Grograman and what is the relationship between him, Perilin and Goab?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr Coreander may seem to play a small roll in the book, but he actually has an integral role in the story. Explain what Mr. Coreander represents to you? Use examples from the book to explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Opposites are a theme in the book. Choose one of the following sets of opposites and use examples from the book to explain how they are opposites and how that helps them to interact.
1. Atreyu and Bastian
2. Perilin and Goab
3. The Empress and the Old Man of Wandering Mountain
Essay Topic 3
The book is full of symbolism. Choose one of the following situations and explain what it symbolizes and what lessons it teaches:
1. Bastian changing into the Empress' image of him
2. Bastian wounding Atreyu with Sikandra
3. Bastian's encounter with the Know-Nothings
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)