|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bastian and Grograman enjoy doing what in the sand?
2. As the clock strikes 12, Bastian calls out the Empress' name and what happens?
3. What happens to Grograman at night?
4. How does the Old Man react to the Empress' request about the book?
5. Bastian's silence leaves The Princess no choice but to do what?
Essay Topic 1
Bastian is asked to describe Fantastica a few times in the book. Now it's your turn. Define Fantastica in your terms. What do you think determines how big or small Fantastica is? Is everyone's version of Fantastica different? In what ways?
Essay Topic 2
To return home, Bastian has to find the Water of LIfe. Later, when reunited with his father, Bastian sees his father cry and realizes that he has brought his father the Water of Life after all. Write a detailed explanation of what you think the Water of Life represents in the book, as well as in real life. Is the Water of Life different to different people? What is your version of the Water of Life?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of four forces is a common one in the book. There are the four messengers we meet when Bastian first begins reading, the four Wind Giants and the four Knights, to name a few. Using examples from the book, write about what you think the four forces represent and how they add to the book.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)