|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dame Eyola live?
2. Where does The Old Man live?
3. The group is awakened by a group of ugly worms doing what?
4. What is the name of the princess who wants to marry the best knight in the tournament?
5. What happens to Grograman at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. As they travel towards the Ivory Tower without really knowing their destination, what does Atreyu begin to notice about Bastian?
2. Describe where the Old Man of Wandering Mountain lives.
3. What happens to Xayide and Bastian's army when they reach the City of Old Emperors?
4. What does Bastian find that the people of Amarganth like to do and what problem do they have with their hobby?
5. Why is Bastian the first one that Grograman has ever talked to?
6. What happens when Bastian asks the other knights about Hynreck?
7. Why does Bastian get rid of his mule, Yikka and how does he try to make it up to her?
8. Describe the image of Bastian, as the Empress sees him.
9. What is the Temple of a Thousand Doors and who tells Bastian about it?
10. Who are the Know-Nothings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is full of symbolism. Choose one of the following situations and explain what it symbolizes and what lessons it teaches:
1. Bastian changing into the Empress' image of him
2. Bastian wounding Atreyu with Sikandra
3. Bastian's encounter with the Know-Nothings
Essay Topic 2
Bastian is asked to describe Fantastica a few times in the book. Now it's your turn. Define Fantastica in your terms. What do you think determines how big or small Fantastica is? Is everyone's version of Fantastica different? In what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Fantastica and the real world are forever tied together. Use examples from the story to explain how what goes on in one affects what goes on in the other.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)