|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bastian admit that he waited so long to help the Empress?
2. What is Yikka's impossible wish?
3. What does Bastian learn about Moon Child when he finally reaches the tower?
4. Bastian regrets creating what, as the travelers see destruction on their way to The Ivory Tower?
5. Argax tells Bastian that his only hope of getting home now is to cross The Sea of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the day of the coronation?
2. As they travel towards the Ivory Tower without really knowing their destination, what does Atreyu begin to notice about Bastian?
3. Why does Bastian get rid of his mule, Yikka and how does he try to make it up to her?
4. Describe how Bastian's wish for wisdom backfires on him.
5. What does Bastian find that the people of Amarganth like to do and what problem do they have with their hobby?
6. Describe where the Old Man of Wandering Mountain lives.
7. Who is Grograman and what is the relationship between him, Perilin and Goab?
8. Why does Bastian finally speak Moon Child's name?
9. Why is Bastian the first one that Grograman has ever talked to?
10. Describe Atreyu's meeting with the Empress.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Atreyu in detail. What is his role in the story? What is his relationship to Bastian? What idea, concept or moral do you feel that Atreyu represents and why? Use examples from the story to emphasize your point.
Essay Topic 2
Bastian is asked to describe Fantastica a few times in the book. Now it's your turn. Define Fantastica in your terms. What do you think determines how big or small Fantastica is? Is everyone's version of Fantastica different? In what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Bastian struggles with image throughout the story. Use examples from the book, as well as real life situations, to explain how self-image can affect people's actions and thoughts. Do you think that people's self-image is caused by how they are treated by others, or that they are treated by others based on their self-image? Explain your answer.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)