|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is trapped in the giant spider web?
2. What startles Bastian, at the end of chapter 10?
3. Who decides which travelers pass through the first gate?
4. What does Bastian steal from the store?
5. How old is Bastian when the book opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Bastian's attitude changes as he arrives at school.
2. What is the mission that the messengers of Fantastica are on, as the first chapter opens?
3. How does Bastian think his father will react to Bastian's running away?
4. Explain how Bastian winds up with the book in his possession.
5. Describe Atreyu's encounter with Morla.
6. Why does Bastian admit to Mr. Coreander that his schoolmates tease him?
7. Explain how Bastian's father became so distant.
8. Describe the book that Bastian finds in the store.
9. Describe how the Childlike Empress rules.
10. Describe the gates to the Southern Oracle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fantastica and the real world are forever tied together. Use examples from the story to explain how what goes on in one affects what goes on in the other.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of four forces is a common one in the book. There are the four messengers we meet when Bastian first begins reading, the four Wind Giants and the four Knights, to name a few. Using examples from the book, write about what you think the four forces represent and how they add to the book.
Essay Topic 3
Mr Coreander may seem to play a small roll in the book, but he actually has an integral role in the story. Explain what Mr. Coreander represents to you? Use examples from the book to explain your response.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)