|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bastian do once he is safely hidden in the school.
2. After they fly for days, where does Falkor suggest that they go?
3. How is the store owner described?
4. What distracts the store owner shortly after Bastian arrives?
5. How does Bastian feel about his home life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the gnome tell Atreyu, in Chapter 5, after Atreyu is well?
2. Explain why the book appeals to Bastian so much.
3. Explain how Bastian's father became so distant.
4. Describe the book that Bastian finds in the store.
5. Describe how Bastian's attitude changes as he arrives at school.
6. What question does Atreyu ask the four Wind Giants and what happens as a result?
7. How does Bastian feel about himself in the prologue?
8. Describe the death of Atreyu's horse, Artax.
9. Explain how Bastian winds up with the book in his possession.
10. What is Cairon, the 500th doctor's mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Opposites are a theme in the book. Choose one of the following sets of opposites and use examples from the book to explain how they are opposites and how that helps them to interact.
1. Atreyu and Bastian
2. Perilin and Goab
3. The Empress and the Old Man of Wandering Mountain
Essay Topic 2
The Nothing represents people forgetting about Fantastica. As people stop believing, the Nothing takes over Fantastica. What sort of person are you? Do you still dream and believe in fantasies? Why or why not? Use examples from life, as well as the book, to back your choice up.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what each of the three Southern Oracle gates represents. What lessons do they teach? How are those lessons applied, later in the book?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)