|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides which travelers pass through the first gate?
2. What does Bastian think about as the clock strikes one?
3. Where does the Childlike Empress live?
4. Blubb has been sent to inform whom about the Nothing that is spreading?
5. To whom has Cairon has been asked to give the medallion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the death of Atreyu's horse, Artax.
2. What is Ygramul the Many?
3. What happens after Atreyu is transported to the Oracle?
4. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
5. Describe the owner of the bookstore where Bastian hides.
6. What is the mission that the messengers of Fantastica are on, as the first chapter opens?
7. Describe how Bastian's attitude changes as he arrives at school.
8. Describe the gates to the Southern Oracle.
9. When Bastian is very hungry, after reading about Atreyu eating rotten food in the ghost town, describe who he thinks of and why.
10. What does the gnome tell Atreyu, in Chapter 5, after Atreyu is well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Auryn plays a major roll in the book. Explain, using details from the book, how it helps, hurts and otherwise affects both Atreyu and, later, Bastian.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of four forces is a common one in the book. There are the four messengers we meet when Bastian first begins reading, the four Wind Giants and the four Knights, to name a few. Using examples from the book, write about what you think the four forces represent and how they add to the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how you feel that Bastian's character changes throughout the book and when he seems to make those changes. Also, using examples from the book, explain whether you feel that those changes are for the better or for the worse and why.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)