|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Atreyu approached by bark trolls?
2. What is the tower city shaped like?
3. What startles Bastian, at the end of chapter 10?
4. To reach Uyulala, one must pas through how many gates?
5. What is on the cover of the book Bastian reads?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gates to the Southern Oracle.
2. What creature does Atreyu find chained in the ghost town and why does it tell him it is chained there?
3. Describe how the Childlike Empress rules.
4. What is Ygramul the Many?
5. What is the Ivory Tower Like?
6. Explain how Bastian winds up with the book in his possession.
7. What does the gnome tell Atreyu, in Chapter 5, after Atreyu is well?
8. When Bastian is very hungry, after reading about Atreyu eating rotten food in the ghost town, describe who he thinks of and why.
9. What happens after Atreyu is transported to the Oracle?
10. Describe the scene when Atreyu returns from meeting with Uyulala.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr Coreander may seem to play a small roll in the book, but he actually has an integral role in the story. Explain what Mr. Coreander represents to you? Use examples from the book to explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what each of the three Southern Oracle gates represents. What lessons do they teach? How are those lessons applied, later in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Answer any one of the following three questions using examples from the story to support your answer:
1. Is the Neverending Story a metaphor for life? If so, why? If not, why not?
2. What is the difference between a dream, a fantasy and a wish in both the book and real life?
3. How important is self image, both to Bastian and to people in general, and how does it change a person's views and actions?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)