|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Bastian's father's outlook and attitude described in the prologue?
2. In what type of store does Bastian hide from his classmates?
3. Who is the voice?
4. Who dies in the Swamps of Sadness?
5. Bastian feels like his father pays no attention to him ever since his mother died because of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the Childlike Empress rules.
2. What question does Atreyu ask the four Wind Giants and what happens as a result?
3. Why does Bastian admit to Mr. Coreander that his schoolmates tease him?
4. Why does Falkor suggest that they go to the Ivory Tower instead of trying to find the borders of Fantastica, after they leave the gnomes?
5. Describe Atreyu's encounter with Morla.
6. Who is Uyulala?
7. What happens after Atreyu is transported to the Oracle?
8. What creature does Atreyu find chained in the ghost town and why does it tell him it is chained there?
9. Describe the scene when Atreyu returns from meeting with Uyulala.
10. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Bastian finally returns home, he has learned to love. Use examples from the book and real life to explain what love means to you. How important is it to love others? Is it more or less important to love yourself?
Essay Topic 2
Bastian is asked to describe Fantastica a few times in the book. Now it's your turn. Define Fantastica in your terms. What do you think determines how big or small Fantastica is? Is everyone's version of Fantastica different? In what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Mr Coreander may seem to play a small roll in the book, but he actually has an integral role in the story. Explain what Mr. Coreander represents to you? Use examples from the book to explain your response.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)