|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Atreyu and Falkor are caught in the crossfire of four of what sort of giants?
2. After they fly for days, where does Falkor suggest that they go?
3. Bastian decides to run away for how long?
4. Where does Bastian hide once he is at school?
5. What is the enemy of luckdragons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question does Atreyu ask the four Wind Giants and what happens as a result?
2. Why does Falkor suggest that they go to the Ivory Tower instead of trying to find the borders of Fantastica, after they leave the gnomes?
3. Describe the book that Bastian finds in the store.
4. Why does Bastian admit to Mr. Coreander that his schoolmates tease him?
5. What is Ygramul the Many?
6. Explain how the geography of Fantastica works.
7. What is Cairon, the 500th doctor's mission?
8. Describe Atreyu's encounter with Morla.
9. Describe Bastian's character in the prologue.
10. Explain why the book appeals to Bastian so much.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Auryn plays a major roll in the book. Explain, using details from the book, how it helps, hurts and otherwise affects both Atreyu and, later, Bastian.
Essay Topic 2
Bastian is asked to describe Fantastica a few times in the book. Now it's your turn. Define Fantastica in your terms. What do you think determines how big or small Fantastica is? Is everyone's version of Fantastica different? In what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Opposites are a theme in the book. Choose one of the following sets of opposites and use examples from the book to explain how they are opposites and how that helps them to interact.
1. Atreyu and Bastian
2. Perilin and Goab
3. The Empress and the Old Man of Wandering Mountain
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)