|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bastian hide once he is at school?
2. Bastian's day-to-day life is what?
3. Where is Atreyu approached by bark trolls?
4. What are the people of the Grassy Ocean known as?
5. Why isn't Bastian's mother present?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question does Atreyu ask the four Wind Giants and what happens as a result?
2. Explain how Bastian winds up with the book in his possession.
3. Explain how the geography of Fantastica works.
4. Describe the death of Atreyu's horse, Artax.
5. What is the Ivory Tower Like?
6. Describe the scene when Atreyu returns from meeting with Uyulala.
7. Describe Atreyu's encounter with Morla.
8. What does the gnome tell Atreyu, in Chapter 5, after Atreyu is well?
9. How does Bastian think his father will react to Bastian's running away?
10. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Bastian finally returns home, he has learned to love. Use examples from the book and real life to explain what love means to you. How important is it to love others? Is it more or less important to love yourself?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the story, Bastian steals a book. He feels compelled to do so. Do you feel that there is ever a good reason for a person to steal? Was it OK for Bastian to take the book, since he later returned it? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 3
The book is full of symbolism. Choose one of the following situations and explain what it symbolizes and what lessons it teaches:
1. Bastian changing into the Empress' image of him
2. Bastian wounding Atreyu with Sikandra
3. Bastian's encounter with the Know-Nothings
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)