|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides which travelers pass through the first gate?
2. When Falkor dives down to rescue Atreyu from the nothing, what happens tot heir skin?
3. What do travelers see in the Magic Mirror at the second gate?
4. After they fly for days, where does Falkor suggest that they go?
5. Bastian feels like his father pays no attention to him ever since his mother died because of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Bastian's attitude changes as he arrives at school.
2. What question does Atreyu ask the four Wind Giants and what happens as a result?
3. What is Ygramul the Many?
4. What is the Ivory Tower Like?
5. Describe the book that Bastian finds in the store.
6. Describe the death of Atreyu's horse, Artax.
7. What creature does Atreyu find chained in the ghost town and why does it tell him it is chained there?
8. Describe how the Childlike Empress rules.
9. Who is Uyulala?
10. Describe the gates to the Southern Oracle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how you feel that Bastian's character changes throughout the book and when he seems to make those changes. Also, using examples from the book, explain whether you feel that those changes are for the better or for the worse and why.
Essay Topic 2
Answer any one of the following three questions using examples from the story to support your answer:
1. Is the Neverending Story a metaphor for life? If so, why? If not, why not?
2. What is the difference between a dream, a fantasy and a wish in both the book and real life?
3. How important is self image, both to Bastian and to people in general, and how does it change a person's views and actions?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the story is about the power to manipulate people or events. Using examples from the story, as well as daily life, explain ways in which people try to manipulate both other people and situations. Do you feel that it is ever good or necessary to try to manipulate others or a situation? Explain your answer in detail.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)