|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Atreyu tell Falkor he wants to bring with him when he sees the Empress?
2. What does Bastian do once he is safely hidden in the school.
3. Who owns the store where Bastian hides?
4. Cairon, one of the doctors, returns from examining the Empress with a medallion called what around his neck?
5. What does Atreyu learn that the Childlike Empress needs, when he is in the Swamps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question does Atreyu ask the four Wind Giants and what happens as a result?
2. Explain how the geography of Fantastica works.
3. Who is Uyulala?
4. Describe how the Childlike Empress rules.
5. Describe the death of Atreyu's horse, Artax.
6. What is Ygramul the Many?
7. Describe the book that Bastian finds in the store.
8. Why does Falkor suggest that they go to the Ivory Tower instead of trying to find the borders of Fantastica, after they leave the gnomes?
9. Describe Bastian's character in the prologue.
10. What is the mission that the messengers of Fantastica are on, as the first chapter opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bastian is asked to describe Fantastica a few times in the book. Now it's your turn. Define Fantastica in your terms. What do you think determines how big or small Fantastica is? Is everyone's version of Fantastica different? In what ways?
Essay Topic 2
To return home, Bastian has to find the Water of LIfe. Later, when reunited with his father, Bastian sees his father cry and realizes that he has brought his father the Water of Life after all. Write a detailed explanation of what you think the Water of Life represents in the book, as well as in real life. Is the Water of Life different to different people? What is your version of the Water of Life?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the story is about the power to manipulate people or events. Using examples from the story, as well as daily life, explain ways in which people try to manipulate both other people and situations. Do you feel that it is ever good or necessary to try to manipulate others or a situation? Explain your answer in detail.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)