|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Atreyu tell Falkor he wants to bring with him when he sees the Empress?
2. Which of these describes Bastian?
3. What does Bastian think about as the clock strikes one?
4. Who is Anna?
5. Snakes form an oval on the cover of the book by doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the Childlike Empress rules.
2. Describe the scene when Atreyu returns from meeting with Uyulala.
3. Describe how Bastian's attitude changes as he arrives at school.
4. Explain why the book appeals to Bastian so much.
5. Explain how the geography of Fantastica works.
6. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
7. Describe Atreyu's encounter with Morla.
8. How does Bastian feel about himself in the prologue?
9. Describe the death of Atreyu's horse, Artax.
10. What question does Atreyu ask the four Wind Giants and what happens as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bastian is asked to describe Fantastica a few times in the book. Now it's your turn. Define Fantastica in your terms. What do you think determines how big or small Fantastica is? Is everyone's version of Fantastica different? In what ways?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what each of the three Southern Oracle gates represents. What lessons do they teach? How are those lessons applied, later in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of four forces is a common one in the book. There are the four messengers we meet when Bastian first begins reading, the four Wind Giants and the four Knights, to name a few. Using examples from the book, write about what you think the four forces represent and how they add to the book.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)