|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to escape his day-to-day life, Bastian does what?
2. To reach Uyulala, one must pas through how many gates?
3. What does Atreyu tell Falkor he wants to bring with him when he sees the Empress?
4. How long does Falkor tell Atreyu that Atreyu was gone, after Atreyu returns from the gates?
5. How does Bastian think his father will take Bastian's leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Atreyu's encounter with Morla.
2. What does the gnome tell Atreyu, in Chapter 5, after Atreyu is well?
3. Describe how the Childlike Empress rules.
4. What happens after Atreyu is transported to the Oracle?
5. When Bastian is very hungry, after reading about Atreyu eating rotten food in the ghost town, describe who he thinks of and why.
6. Describe the scene when Atreyu returns from meeting with Uyulala.
7. What is the mission that the messengers of Fantastica are on, as the first chapter opens?
8. Describe the gates to the Southern Oracle.
9. Why does Bastian admit to Mr. Coreander that his schoolmates tease him?
10. Why does Falkor suggest that they go to the Ivory Tower instead of trying to find the borders of Fantastica, after they leave the gnomes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Opposites are a theme in the book. Choose one of the following sets of opposites and use examples from the book to explain how they are opposites and how that helps them to interact.
1. Atreyu and Bastian
2. Perilin and Goab
3. The Empress and the Old Man of Wandering Mountain
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Atreyu in detail. What is his role in the story? What is his relationship to Bastian? What idea, concept or moral do you feel that Atreyu represents and why? Use examples from the story to emphasize your point.
Essay Topic 3
Fantastica and the real world are forever tied together. Use examples from the story to explain how what goes on in one affects what goes on in the other.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)