|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Golden-eyed Commander of Wishes?
2. What is on the cover of the book Bastian reads?
3. What is the name of the book that Bastian reads?
4. Blubb has been sent to inform whom about the Nothing that is spreading?
5. Atreyu forgets who he is when he does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Atreyu is transported to the Oracle?
2. Describe Atreyu's encounter with Morla.
3. Describe how Bastian's attitude changes as he arrives at school.
4. What is the mission that the messengers of Fantastica are on, as the first chapter opens?
5. How does Bastian feel about himself in the prologue?
6. Who is Uyulala?
7. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
8. What is the Ivory Tower Like?
9. Why does Bastian admit to Mr. Coreander that his schoolmates tease him?
10. Explain how Bastian's father became so distant.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is full of symbolism. Choose one of the following situations and explain what it symbolizes and what lessons it teaches:
1. Bastian changing into the Empress' image of him
2. Bastian wounding Atreyu with Sikandra
3. Bastian's encounter with the Know-Nothings
Essay Topic 2
When Bastian finally returns home, he has learned to love. Use examples from the book and real life to explain what love means to you. How important is it to love others? Is it more or less important to love yourself?
Essay Topic 3
Forgiveness and redemption is a big theme in the book. Choose one of the following relationships and explain how redemption and forgiveness play a role in it.
1. Bastian and his father
2. Bastian and Eyola
3. Bastian and Mr. Coreander
4. Bastian and Atreyu
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)