|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How quickly does the spider's poison work?
2. Bastian decides to run away for how long?
3. Where do the Tinies live?
4. Bastian doesn't think his father will forgive him for what act?
5. Who lives on Tortoise Shell Mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gates to the Southern Oracle.
2. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
3. Describe the death of Atreyu's horse, Artax.
4. Explain how the geography of Fantastica works.
5. Explain how Bastian's father became so distant.
6. What question does Atreyu ask the four Wind Giants and what happens as a result?
7. Describe the owner of the bookstore where Bastian hides.
8. What is the mission that the messengers of Fantastica are on, as the first chapter opens?
9. Who is Uyulala?
10. What happens after Atreyu is transported to the Oracle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following characters and explain, in detail, what role they played in the book. Be sure to explain not just what they did and when, but also how it affected the other characters and the plot, as well as what point or moral they may have tried to instill to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Answer any one of the following three questions using examples from the story to support your answer:
1. Is the Neverending Story a metaphor for life? If so, why? If not, why not?
2. What is the difference between a dream, a fantasy and a wish in both the book and real life?
3. How important is self image, both to Bastian and to people in general, and how does it change a person's views and actions?
Essay Topic 3
Opposites are a theme in the book. Choose one of the following sets of opposites and use examples from the book to explain how they are opposites and how that helps them to interact.
1. Atreyu and Bastian
2. Perilin and Goab
3. The Empress and the Old Man of Wandering Mountain
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)