|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do travelers see in the Magic Mirror at the second gate?
2. When does Atreyu's memory return?
3. What is the name of the creature who owns the web?
4. To whom has Cairon has been asked to give the medallion?
5. Who is the voice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the gnome tell Atreyu, in Chapter 5, after Atreyu is well?
2. Describe the book that Bastian finds in the store.
3. Describe the gates to the Southern Oracle.
4. Describe the owner of the bookstore where Bastian hides.
5. How does Bastian feel about himself in the prologue?
6. What is Ygramul the Many?
7. What happens after Atreyu is transported to the Oracle?
8. Describe the scene when Atreyu returns from meeting with Uyulala.
9. What is Cairon, the 500th doctor's mission?
10. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is full of symbolism. Choose one of the following situations and explain what it symbolizes and what lessons it teaches:
1. Bastian changing into the Empress' image of him
2. Bastian wounding Atreyu with Sikandra
3. Bastian's encounter with the Know-Nothings
Essay Topic 2
Fantastica and the real world are forever tied together. Use examples from the story to explain how what goes on in one affects what goes on in the other.
Essay Topic 3
Forgiveness and redemption is a big theme in the book. Choose one of the following relationships and explain how redemption and forgiveness play a role in it.
1. Bastian and his father
2. Bastian and Eyola
3. Bastian and Mr. Coreander
4. Bastian and Atreyu
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)