|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bastian's middle name?
2. In what type of store does Bastian hide from his classmates?
3. What does Bastian do once he is safely hidden in the school.
4. Blubb has been sent to inform whom about the Nothing that is spreading?
5. How old is Bastian when the book opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the book appeals to Bastian so much.
2. Describe how the Childlike Empress rules.
3. Explain how Bastian's father became so distant.
4. What happens after Atreyu is transported to the Oracle?
5. What is Cairon, the 500th doctor's mission?
6. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
7. What is the Ivory Tower Like?
8. Why does Bastian admit to Mr. Coreander that his schoolmates tease him?
9. How does Bastian think his father will react to Bastian's running away?
10. Describe the scene when Atreyu returns from meeting with Uyulala.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bastian struggles with image throughout the story. Use examples from the book, as well as real life situations, to explain how self-image can affect people's actions and thoughts. Do you think that people's self-image is caused by how they are treated by others, or that they are treated by others based on their self-image? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The book is full of symbolism. Choose one of the following situations and explain what it symbolizes and what lessons it teaches:
1. Bastian changing into the Empress' image of him
2. Bastian wounding Atreyu with Sikandra
3. Bastian's encounter with the Know-Nothings
Essay Topic 3
Fantastica and the real world are forever tied together. Use examples from the story to explain how what goes on in one affects what goes on in the other.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)