|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Atreyu's memory return?
2. As the clock strikes three, Bastian takes a break from reading and does what?
3. As they gather a few floors below the pavilion, how many doctors have already assembled from all over Fantastica?
4. What kind of snail does the tiny insist that his snail is?
5. How does Bastian feel about his home life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Uyulala?
2. Describe the book that Bastian finds in the store.
3. What question does Atreyu ask the four Wind Giants and what happens as a result?
4. Explain why the book appeals to Bastian so much.
5. What is Ygramul the Many?
6. Describe Atreyu's encounter with Morla.
7. Why does Bastian admit to Mr. Coreander that his schoolmates tease him?
8. Describe the death of Atreyu's horse, Artax.
9. Describe how the Childlike Empress rules.
10. How does Bastian think his father will react to Bastian's running away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forgiveness and redemption is a big theme in the book. Choose one of the following relationships and explain how redemption and forgiveness play a role in it.
1. Bastian and his father
2. Bastian and Eyola
3. Bastian and Mr. Coreander
4. Bastian and Atreyu
Essay Topic 2
Explain how you feel that Bastian's character changes throughout the book and when he seems to make those changes. Also, using examples from the book, explain whether you feel that those changes are for the better or for the worse and why.
Essay Topic 3
Mr Coreander may seem to play a small roll in the book, but he actually has an integral role in the story. Explain what Mr. Coreander represents to you? Use examples from the book to explain your response.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)