|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After they fly for days, where does Falkor suggest that they go?
2. When Atreyu falls from Falkor's back, what happens?
3. What startles Bastian, at the end of chapter 10?
4. What are the old alchemist and his wife?
5. Where do the Tinies live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene when Atreyu returns from meeting with Uyulala.
2. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
3. How does Bastian think his father will react to Bastian's running away?
4. What does the gnome tell Atreyu, in Chapter 5, after Atreyu is well?
5. Explain how Bastian's father became so distant.
6. How does Bastian feel about himself in the prologue?
7. What is Cairon, the 500th doctor's mission?
8. Describe how Bastian's attitude changes as he arrives at school.
9. What is the Ivory Tower Like?
10. Why does Falkor suggest that they go to the Ivory Tower instead of trying to find the borders of Fantastica, after they leave the gnomes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the story is about the power to manipulate people or events. Using examples from the story, as well as daily life, explain ways in which people try to manipulate both other people and situations. Do you feel that it is ever good or necessary to try to manipulate others or a situation? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what each of the three Southern Oracle gates represents. What lessons do they teach? How are those lessons applied, later in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Bastian struggles with image throughout the story. Use examples from the book, as well as real life situations, to explain how self-image can affect people's actions and thoughts. Do you think that people's self-image is caused by how they are treated by others, or that they are treated by others based on their self-image? Explain your answer.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)