|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the clock strikes three, Bastian takes a break from reading and does what?
2. What is the name of the book that Bastian reads?
3. What is the tower city shaped like?
4. What does Atreyu tell Falkor he wants to bring with him when he sees the Empress?
5. What are the old alchemist and his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the death of Atreyu's horse, Artax.
2. What is the Ivory Tower Like?
3. Who is the Old Man of Wandering Mountain and why does the Empress try to find him?
4. Who is Dame Eyola and how does she help Bastian?
5. What is Ygramul the Many?
6. Why does Falkor suggest that they go to the Ivory Tower instead of trying to find the borders of Fantastica, after they leave the gnomes?
7. How does Bastian feel about himself in the prologue?
8. What happens when the group finally reaches the Ivory Tower?
9. What happens when Bastian walks through the fountain?
10. What is the mission that the messengers of Fantastica are on, as the first chapter opens?
Essay Topic 1
The book is full of symbolism. Choose one of the following situations and explain what it symbolizes and what lessons it teaches:
1. Bastian changing into the Empress' image of him
2. Bastian wounding Atreyu with Sikandra
3. Bastian's encounter with the Know-Nothings
Essay Topic 2
The Auryn plays a major roll in the book. Explain, using details from the book, how it helps, hurts and otherwise affects both Atreyu and, later, Bastian.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of four forces is a common one in the book. There are the four messengers we meet when Bastian first begins reading, the four Wind Giants and the four Knights, to name a few. Using examples from the book, write about what you think the four forces represent and how they add to the book.
This section contains 1,758 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)