|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Falkor, the luckdragon, overheard the spider and wished himself where?
2. Who owns the store where Bastian hides?
3. In order to escape his day-to-day life, Bastian does what?
4. What news does the tiny give the night-hob about the Childlike Empress?
5. When Atreyu awakens on the mountain, there is what a few steps away from them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Bastian's father became so distant.
2. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
3. What is the Ivory Tower Like?
4. Why does Falkor suggest that they go to the Ivory Tower instead of trying to find the borders of Fantastica, after they leave the gnomes?
5. Describe the owner of the bookstore where Bastian hides.
6. Who is Uyulala?
7. What is Ygramul the Many?
8. What creature does Atreyu find chained in the ghost town and why does it tell him it is chained there?
9. Explain how the geography of Fantastica works.
10. What is Cairon, the 500th doctor's mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Nothing represents people forgetting about Fantastica. As people stop believing, the Nothing takes over Fantastica. What sort of person are you? Do you still dream and believe in fantasies? Why or why not? Use examples from life, as well as the book, to back your choice up.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Atreyu in detail. What is his role in the story? What is his relationship to Bastian? What idea, concept or moral do you feel that Atreyu represents and why? Use examples from the story to emphasize your point.
Essay Topic 3
Answer any one of the following three questions using examples from the story to support your answer:
1. Is the Neverending Story a metaphor for life? If so, why? If not, why not?
2. What is the difference between a dream, a fantasy and a wish in both the book and real life?
3. How important is self image, both to Bastian and to people in general, and how does it change a person's views and actions?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)