|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tower city shaped like?
2. What happens to Falkor when he gives Auryn back to Atreyu?
3. How does Bastian console himself when he is upset?
4. What magical power does the spider's poison have?
5. In what type of store does Bastian hide from his classmates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What creature does Atreyu find chained in the ghost town and why does it tell him it is chained there?
2. Describe Bastian's character in the prologue.
3. What question does Atreyu ask the four Wind Giants and what happens as a result?
4. Explain how the geography of Fantastica works.
5. Describe the owner of the bookstore where Bastian hides.
6. What is Ygramul the Many?
7. Who is Uyulala?
8. What is the mission that the messengers of Fantastica are on, as the first chapter opens?
9. Why does Falkor suggest that they go to the Ivory Tower instead of trying to find the borders of Fantastica, after they leave the gnomes?
10. What is the Ivory Tower Like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr Coreander may seem to play a small roll in the book, but he actually has an integral role in the story. Explain what Mr. Coreander represents to you? Use examples from the book to explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
The book is full of symbolism. Choose one of the following situations and explain what it symbolizes and what lessons it teaches:
1. Bastian changing into the Empress' image of him
2. Bastian wounding Atreyu with Sikandra
3. Bastian's encounter with the Know-Nothings
Essay Topic 3
Much of the story is about the power to manipulate people or events. Using examples from the story, as well as daily life, explain ways in which people try to manipulate both other people and situations. Do you feel that it is ever good or necessary to try to manipulate others or a situation? Explain your answer in detail.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)