Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the store owner's middle name?
2. Bastian doesn't think his father will forgive him for what act?
3. How does Bastian feel about his home life?
4. After leaving the store, where does Bastian go?
5. What is the store owner doing when Bastian enters the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gates to the Southern Oracle.
2. What story does Bastian tell the people of Amarganth and how does it help them?
3. When Bastian is very hungry, after reading about Atreyu eating rotten food in the ghost town, describe who he thinks of and why.
4. How and where does Bastian find the Water of Life?
5. Describe Atreyu's meeting with the Empress.
6. Describe the image of Bastian, as the Empress sees him.
7. Who is Grograman and what is the relationship between him, Perilin and Goab?
8. What does the gnome tell Atreyu, in Chapter 5, after Atreyu is well?
9. Who are the Know-Nothings?
10. Describe Bastian's reunion with his father.
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the story, Bastian steals a book. He feels compelled to do so. Do you feel that there is ever a good reason for a person to steal? Was it OK for Bastian to take the book, since he later returned it? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Answer any one of the following three questions using examples from the story to support your answer:
1. Is the Neverending Story a metaphor for life? If so, why? If not, why not?
2. What is the difference between a dream, a fantasy and a wish in both the book and real life?
3. How important is self image, both to Bastian and to people in general, and how does it change a person's views and actions?
Essay Topic 3
Opposites are a theme in the book. Choose one of the following sets of opposites and use examples from the book to explain how they are opposites and how that helps them to interact.
1. Atreyu and Bastian
2. Perilin and Goab
3. The Empress and the Old Man of Wandering Mountain
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)