|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the store owner's first name?
2. What does Atreyu see when he awakens after being transported by the poison?
3. How does Bastian console himself when he is upset?
4. What news does the tiny give the night-hob about the Childlike Empress?
5. As the clock strikes three, Bastian takes a break from reading and does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question does Atreyu ask the four Wind Giants and what happens as a result?
2. Explain how the geography of Fantastica works.
3. What does the gnome tell Atreyu, in Chapter 5, after Atreyu is well?
4. Describe the gates to the Southern Oracle.
5. What is the mission that the messengers of Fantastica are on, as the first chapter opens?
6. What story does Bastian tell the people of Amarganth and how does it help them?
7. What happens when the group finally reaches the Ivory Tower?
8. What is the Temple of a Thousand Doors and who tells Bastian about it?
9. Who are the Know-Nothings?
10. Describe Bastian's reunion with his father.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following characters and explain, in detail, what role they played in the book. Be sure to explain not just what they did and when, but also how it affected the other characters and the plot, as well as what point or moral they may have tried to instill to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Forgiveness and redemption is a big theme in the book. Choose one of the following relationships and explain how redemption and forgiveness play a role in it.
1. Bastian and his father
2. Bastian and Eyola
3. Bastian and Mr. Coreander
4. Bastian and Atreyu
Essay Topic 3
Mr Coreander may seem to play a small roll in the book, but he actually has an integral role in the story. Explain what Mr. Coreander represents to you? Use examples from the book to explain your response.
This section contains 1,781 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)