|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A song of Atreyu's people says that it is better to die in the swamps than do what?
2. What is the name of the book that Bastian reads?
3. What is the name of the creature who owns the web?
4. Bastian doesn't think his father will forgive him for what act?
5. Where does the Childlike Empress live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Falkor suggest that they go to the Ivory Tower instead of trying to find the borders of Fantastica, after they leave the gnomes?
2. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
3. Who is Uyulala?
4. What is the mission that the messengers of Fantastica are on, as the first chapter opens?
5. Describe how the Childlike Empress rules.
6. Describe the death of Atreyu's horse, Artax.
7. Who are the Know-Nothings?
8. Describe the image of Bastian, as the Empress sees him.
9. Describe the owner of the bookstore where Bastian hides.
10. What happens to Xayide and Bastian's army when they reach the City of Old Emperors?
Essay Topic 1
Much of the story is about the power to manipulate people or events. Using examples from the story, as well as daily life, explain ways in which people try to manipulate both other people and situations. Do you feel that it is ever good or necessary to try to manipulate others or a situation? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Opposites are a theme in the book. Choose one of the following sets of opposites and use examples from the book to explain how they are opposites and how that helps them to interact.
1. Atreyu and Bastian
2. Perilin and Goab
3. The Empress and the Old Man of Wandering Mountain
Essay Topic 3
When Bastian finally returns home, he has learned to love. Use examples from the book and real life to explain what love means to you. How important is it to love others? Is it more or less important to love yourself?
This section contains 1,718 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)