|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Atreyu see when he awakens after being transported by the poison?
2. Falkor, the luckdragon, overheard the spider and wished himself where?
3. Why isn't Bastian's mother present?
4. Who lives on Tortoise Shell Mountain?
5. What does Atreyu learn that the Childlike Empress needs, when he is in the Swamps?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Bastian's father became so distant.
2. Describe the death of Atreyu's horse, Artax.
3. Who is the Old Man of Wandering Mountain and why does the Empress try to find him?
4. How does the tournament in Amarganth end?
5. Describe how Bastian's attitude changes as he arrives at school.
6. Describe the scene when Atreyu returns from meeting with Uyulala.
7. Who is Dame Eyola and how does she help Bastian?
8. Explain what Bastian tells his father that Bastian must do before they can enjoy their reunion and how his father reacts to it.
9. Why does Falkor suggest that they go to the Ivory Tower instead of trying to find the borders of Fantastica, after they leave the gnomes?
10. What are the knights that Bastian meets, after he leaves the Temple, on their way to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fantastica and the real world are forever tied together. Use examples from the story to explain how what goes on in one affects what goes on in the other.
Essay Topic 2
Opposites are a theme in the book. Choose one of the following sets of opposites and use examples from the book to explain how they are opposites and how that helps them to interact.
1. Atreyu and Bastian
2. Perilin and Goab
3. The Empress and the Old Man of Wandering Mountain
Essay Topic 3
Explain how you feel that Bastian's character changes throughout the book and when he seems to make those changes. Also, using examples from the book, explain whether you feel that those changes are for the better or for the worse and why.
This section contains 1,765 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)