|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Falkor when he gives Auryn back to Atreyu?
2. What is the name of the book that Bastian reads?
3. How does Bastian feel about his home life?
4. Bastian loves stories but is always sad when what happens during a story?
5. What is Bastian's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bastian think his father will react to Bastian's running away?
2. Why does Falkor suggest that they go to the Ivory Tower instead of trying to find the borders of Fantastica, after they leave the gnomes?
3. When Bastian is very hungry, after reading about Atreyu eating rotten food in the ghost town, describe who he thinks of and why.
4. Describe how the Childlike Empress rules.
5. Who is Uyulala?
6. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
7. Describe Atreyu's encounter with Morla.
8. Describe the gates to the Southern Oracle.
9. What happens after Atreyu is transported to the Oracle?
10. What question does Atreyu ask the four Wind Giants and what happens as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of four forces is a common one in the book. There are the four messengers we meet when Bastian first begins reading, the four Wind Giants and the four Knights, to name a few. Using examples from the book, write about what you think the four forces represent and how they add to the book.
Essay Topic 2
When Bastian finally returns home, he has learned to love. Use examples from the book and real life to explain what love means to you. How important is it to love others? Is it more or less important to love yourself?
Essay Topic 3
To return home, Bastian has to find the Water of LIfe. Later, when reunited with his father, Bastian sees his father cry and realizes that he has brought his father the Water of Life after all. Write a detailed explanation of what you think the Water of Life represents in the book, as well as in real life. Is the Water of Life different to different people? What is your version of the Water of Life?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)