|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Atreyu tell Falkor he wants to bring with him when he sees the Empress?
2. How quickly does the spider's poison work?
3. After leaving the store, where does Bastian go?
4. How is Bastian's father's outlook and attitude described in the prologue?
5. What happens to Falkor when he gives Auryn back to Atreyu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mission that the messengers of Fantastica are on, as the first chapter opens?
2. Describe Atreyu's encounter with Morla.
3. Describe the death of Atreyu's horse, Artax.
4. What happens after Atreyu is transported to the Oracle?
5. How does Bastian think his father will react to Bastian's running away?
6. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
7. Describe Bastian's character in the prologue.
8. Describe the book that Bastian finds in the store.
9. Explain why the book appeals to Bastian so much.
10. What creature does Atreyu find chained in the ghost town and why does it tell him it is chained there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the story is about the power to manipulate people or events. Using examples from the story, as well as daily life, explain ways in which people try to manipulate both other people and situations. Do you feel that it is ever good or necessary to try to manipulate others or a situation? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Luck plays a large role in the book. Describe how it impacts the story. Also, explain whether or not you feel that luck/fate/chance can impact everyday life and why you feel that way, using examples from your own life or current events.
Essay Topic 3
The Auryn plays a major roll in the book. Explain, using details from the book, how it helps, hurts and otherwise affects both Atreyu and, later, Bastian.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)