|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Atreyu do in order to get his first sight of the nothing?
(a) climbs a tree
(b) climbs a mountain
(c) puts on a special pair of glasses
(d) goes into an open meadow
2. Atreyu forgets who he is when he does what?
(a) talks tot he sphinx
(b) gets lost in the woods
(c) walks through the mirror
(d) bumps his head
3. What is the name of the mythical land in the book?
4. What does Bastian do once he is safely hidden in the school.
(a) He writes a letter.
(b) He begins to read.
(c) He listens to music.
(d) He eats his lunch.
5. What happens to Falkor when he gives Auryn back to Atreyu?
(a) He turns intot he Empress.
(b) He disappears.
(c) He collapses.
(d) He flies away.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Bastian's father's outlook and attitude described in the prologue?
2. Who decides which travelers pass through the first gate?
3. Snakes form an oval on the cover of the book by doing what?
4. What is the tower city shaped like?
5. What fact does Bastian learn about Atreyu that he can relate to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Bastian's father became so distant.
2. What does the gnome tell Atreyu, in Chapter 5, after Atreyu is well?
3. Describe Atreyu's recurring dreams.
4. How does Bastian feel about himself in the prologue?
5. Describe how the Childlike Empress rules.
6. Why does Bastian admit to Mr. Coreander that his schoolmates tease him?
7. What is Ygramul the Many?
8. What is Cairon, the 500th doctor's mission?
9. Describe Atreyu's encounter with Morla.
10. Explain why the book appeals to Bastian so much.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)