|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of snail does the tiny insist that his snail is?
(a) a friendly snail
(b) a mean snail
(c) a racing snail
(d) an extra slow snail
2. As the clock strikes three, Bastian takes a break from reading and does what?
(a) looks out the window of the attic
(b) hides because he hears someone coming
(c) closes the attic door, which has suddenly opened
(d) looks in a mirror
3. Why isn't Bastian's mother present?
(a) Bastian's parents are divorced.
(b) She is away visiting a friend.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She is at work.
4. In order to escape his day-to-day life, Bastian does what?
(a) changes his name
(b) escapes by reading the book
(c) goes to live with a friend
(d) disguises his appearance
5. Who decides which travelers pass through the first gate?
(b) the sphinxes
(d) am unseen voice
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Anna?
2. Snakes form an oval on the cover of the book by doing what?
3. Where does Bastian hide once he is at school?
4. What happens to Falkor when he gives Auryn back to Atreyu?
5. What does Atreyu learn that the Childlike Empress needs, when he is in the Swamps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the gnome tell Atreyu, in Chapter 5, after Atreyu is well?
2. Explain how the geography of Fantastica works.
3. How does Bastian feel about himself in the prologue?
4. What is Ygramul the Many?
5. Explain why the book appeals to Bastian so much.
6. Why does Bastian admit to Mr. Coreander that his schoolmates tease him?
7. Explain how Bastian's father became so distant.
8. When Bastian is very hungry, after reading about Atreyu eating rotten food in the ghost town, describe who he thinks of and why.
9. What is the Ivory Tower Like?
10. Describe the owner of the bookstore where Bastian hides.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)