|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cairon, one of the doctors, returns from examining the Empress with a medallion called what around his neck?
2. Bastian decides to run away for how long?
(a) for a week
(b) for a year
(d) until his father forgives him
3. Atreyu and Falkor are caught in the crossfire of four of what sort of giants?
4. Which of these describes Bastian?
5. A song of Atreyu's people says that it is better to die in the swamps than do what?
(a) enter the Dead Mountains
(b) abandon your friends
(c) lose your way once you pass them
(d) remain alive
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the store owner's middle name?
2. In what type of store does Bastian hide from his classmates?
3. Who decides which travelers pass through the first gate?
4. How old is Bastian when the book opens?
5. Who lives on Tortoise Shell Mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cairon, the 500th doctor's mission?
2. Describe Bastian's character in the prologue.
3. How does Bastian feel about himself in the prologue?
4. Describe the death of Atreyu's horse, Artax.
5. Describe how Bastian's attitude changes as he arrives at school.
6. When Bastian is very hungry, after reading about Atreyu eating rotten food in the ghost town, describe who he thinks of and why.
7. What is the mission that the messengers of Fantastica are on, as the first chapter opens?
8. Explain how Bastian's father became so distant.
9. Why does Bastian admit to Mr. Coreander that his schoolmates tease him?
10. Explain how the geography of Fantastica works.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)