|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 15, what kind of shops did Tommy and Kathy initially visit in the search for her Judy Bridgewater tape?
2. At what job does Rodney and Chrissie report Ruth's possible worked at?
3. Where is the recovery center where Ruth is living during her donations?
4. What kind of drawings does the narrator find Tommy making in chapter 20?
5. What items does the narrator say in chapter 18 she likes to window shop for and compare to the ones she has at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rodney and Chrissie detour the group into Woolworth's upon arriving in Norfolk in chapter 14? How do the others feel about this?
2. In chapter 16, Ruth becomes annoyed with Kathy and forces her to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish, something Ruth later tells Tommy. What causes this change in Ruth's feelings toward Kathy and Tommy?
3. What warning does Ruth offer to Kathy in chapter 17 should she ever want to pursue a relationship with Tommy?
4. In chapter 19, what causes Ruth to become angry with Kathy as she, Kathy, and Tommy visit an abandoned boat?
5. In chapter 17, what changes does Kathy note about the Cottages after her rift with Ruth and Tommy?
6. In chapter 21, what does Tommy tell Madame he has come to her to ask for?
7. In chapter 15, who does Rodney and Chrissie want to visit that Kathy refuses to see? For what reason?
8. What has Tommy begun to draw after the trip to Norfolk? What does Kathy initially think of these drawings?
9. Why does Kathy constantly allow Ruth to indulge her fantasies even when she knows she is wrong?
10. In chapter 12, what fantasy does Ruth develop after learning where her possible works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
At Halisham, the students appear to take on different aspects of behavior as they become involved with different groups of students. Later, Kathy notes that many of the residents of the Cottage appear to take clues about behavior from television. Is this normal behavior? Why do the students seem to learn behavior from outside influences rather than instinctively from their own personalities? How do these early hints at Hailsham suggest something special about these students?
Essay Topic 3
What is human cloning? Is it a possibility? What purpose would human cloning serve, as represented in this novel? Would it be humane to treat clones as Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth were treated in this novel? What were the people at Hailsham attempting to prove about the clones? Did their experiment work? Why or why not?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)