|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 16, what does James B. carry back to a picnic at Hailsham?
2. Where is the recovery center where Ruth is living during her donations?
3. In chapter 16, what does Ruth begin to forget?
4. Who tells Chrissie and Rodney that the students at Hailsham were told about deferrals in chapter 13?
5. To where does Ruth and her friends follow the possible from the office in chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 15, who does Rodney and Chrissie want to visit that Kathy refuses to see? For what reason?
2. Why does Kathy constantly allow Ruth to indulge her fantasies even when she knows she is wrong?
3. In chapter 20, who does Kathy find at the address Ruth gave to Tommy for him to seek a deferral?
4. At the end of chapter 17, how does Kathy actively change her situation?
5. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
6. What has Tommy begun to draw after the trip to Norfolk? What does Kathy initially think of these drawings?
7. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
8. In chapter 21, who are Kathy and Tommy shocked to discover Madame is living with?
9. What warning does Ruth offer to Kathy in chapter 17 should she ever want to pursue a relationship with Tommy?
10. How has Kathy's life changed in the year that has passed between chapters 19 and 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following relationships in an essay:
1) Ruth and Kathy
2) Kathy and Tommy
3) Tommy and Ruth.
Essay Topic 2
What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy talked to him about that helped him curb his anger? Why did this help Tommy curb his anger? What is the relationship between Tommy and Kathy? Why does Tommy often make Kathy his confidant? How does Tommy react when Kathy tries to help him get close to Ruth? What is foreshadowed about this relationship while Tommy and Kathy are still at Hailsham?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Tommy often get picked last for sports teams? How did he react to this slight? Why did Tommy stop working at his art? Who told Tommy his art was not important? Why did this person later tell Tommy that the art was really very important? What does Tommy come to believe is the point of the art the students are encouraged to do at Hailsham? Why does Tommy believe this? How does Tommy react when he comes to realize the truth about the students' are at Hailsham?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)