|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator notice about Madame's door in chapter 21 as they enter her house?
2. In chapter 14, what are the office workers doing when Rodney points out Ruth's possible?
3. In chapter 15, why does Kathy delay showing Tommy she has found the Judy Bridgewater tape?
4. In chapter 16, who were Kathy and Ruth discussing when Ruth finds the Judy Bridgewater tape?
5. What does the narrator think of in chapter 15 when Tommy describes his new art creations to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
2. At the end of chapter 17, how does Kathy actively change her situation?
3. In chapter 16, Ruth becomes annoyed with Kathy and forces her to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish, something Ruth later tells Tommy. What causes this change in Ruth's feelings toward Kathy and Tommy?
4. In chapter 20, who does Kathy find at the address Ruth gave to Tommy for him to seek a deferral?
5. What has Tommy begun to draw after the trip to Norfolk? What does Kathy initially think of these drawings?
6. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
7. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
8. In chapter 21, what does Tommy tell Madame he has come to her to ask for?
9. In chapter 19, what causes Ruth to become angry with Kathy as she, Kathy, and Tommy visit an abandoned boat?
10. In chapter 12, what fantasy does Ruth develop after learning where her possible works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are Ruth and Tommy? How did Kathy know them in her past? How does she learn that Ruth has become a donor? Why does Kathy request to become Ruth's carer? What does Kathy tell the reader about her first meeting with Ruth? How was Ruth somewhat odd? Why did Ruth feel the need to protect Miss Geraldine? Was there a real danger toward Miss Geraldine? How did Kathy help Ruth keep up the illusion of a special relationship between she and Miss Geraldine? How did Ruth repay this kindness?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is human cloning? Is it a possibility? What purpose would human cloning serve, as represented in this novel? Would it be humane to treat clones as Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth were treated in this novel? What were the people at Hailsham attempting to prove about the clones? Did their experiment work? Why or why not?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)