|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Goosehouse?
2. In chapter 14, why does Chrissie say she and Rodney like to buy birthday cards in bulk?
3. What is the definition of a possible as described by the narrator in chapter 12?
4. In chapter 15, what does Tommy suggest Madame does with the art from the Hailsham students?
5. What billboard does the narrator point out in chapter 19 that she hopes will remind Tommy and Ruth of their trip to Norfolk?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
2. In chapter 19, what causes Ruth to become angry with Kathy as she, Kathy, and Tommy visit an abandoned boat?
3. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
4. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
5. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
6. In chapter 12, what fantasy does Ruth develop after learning where her possible works?
7. Why does Kathy constantly allow Ruth to indulge her fantasies even when she knows she is wrong?
8. In chapter 16, Ruth becomes annoyed with Kathy and forces her to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish, something Ruth later tells Tommy. What causes this change in Ruth's feelings toward Kathy and Tommy?
9. How has Kathy's life changed in the year that has passed between chapters 19 and 20?
10. In chapter 21, who are Kathy and Tommy shocked to discover Madame is living with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy talked to him about that helped him curb his anger? Why did this help Tommy curb his anger? What is the relationship between Tommy and Kathy? Why does Tommy often make Kathy his confidant? How does Tommy react when Kathy tries to help him get close to Ruth? What is foreshadowed about this relationship while Tommy and Kathy are still at Hailsham?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Medical cloning.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)