|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the recovery center where Ruth is living during her donations?
2. In chapter 13, who has been placed in charge of the spending money for the Norfolk trip?
3. In chapter 15, who is first to find the Judy Bridgewater tape?
4. In chapter 14, what was the predominate theme of the artwork in Portway Studios?
5. Why does there seem to be a different set of rules for the clones from Hailsham as compared to the clones from other backgrounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
2. In chapter 18, how does Kathy learn that Ruth has begun her donations?
3. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
4. What warning does Ruth offer to Kathy in chapter 17 should she ever want to pursue a relationship with Tommy?
5. In chapter 21, what does Tommy tell Madame he has come to her to ask for?
6. In chapter 12, why do Rodney and Chrissie invite Ruth to go on a trip to Norfolk with them? Who else will be going?
7. What has Tommy begun to draw after the trip to Norfolk? What does Kathy initially think of these drawings?
8. Why does Kathy constantly allow Ruth to indulge her fantasies even when she knows she is wrong?
9. In chapter 15, who does Rodney and Chrissie want to visit that Kathy refuses to see? For what reason?
10. In chapter 21, who are Kathy and Tommy shocked to discover Madame is living with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Ruth reveal to Kathy after she, Kathy, and Tommy go to the boat? What does Ruth say about the relationship that should have existed between Tommy and Kathy? What does Ruth encourage Tommy and Kathy to seek? What is a deferment? What might it give to Kathy and Tommy? Why does Ruth push this on them? How do they react? Why does Ruth ask Kathy to stop being her carer and become Tommy's carer? Does Kathy take this advice?
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, discuss the following elements as they exist and impact the developing plot in the early chapters of the novel:
3) Point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Character motivation
2) Character relationships
3) Character traits.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)