|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 18, the narrator mentions the name of a student from Hailsham who had difficulty dealing with being a carer. Who does she mention?
2. At what job does Rodney and Chrissie report Ruth's possible worked at?
3. In chapter 21, what picture does Tommy notice on Madame's wall?
4. How does the narrator say the trip to Norfolk was nearly called off at the beginning of chapter 13?
5. In chapter 16, who was the first of the Hailsham students to begin their carer training?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
2. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
3. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
4. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
5. What warning does Ruth offer to Kathy in chapter 17 should she ever want to pursue a relationship with Tommy?
6. In chapter 21, what does Tommy tell Madame he has come to her to ask for?
7. In chapter 12, why do Rodney and Chrissie invite Ruth to go on a trip to Norfolk with them? Who else will be going?
8. Why does Kathy constantly allow Ruth to indulge her fantasies even when she knows she is wrong?
9. How has Kathy's life changed in the year that has passed between chapters 19 and 20?
10. In chapter 21, who are Kathy and Tommy shocked to discover Madame is living with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Why did Tommy often get picked last for sports teams? How did he react to this slight? Why did Tommy stop working at his art? Who told Tommy his art was not important? Why did this person later tell Tommy that the art was really very important? What does Tommy come to believe is the point of the art the students are encouraged to do at Hailsham? Why does Tommy believe this? How does Tommy react when he comes to realize the truth about the students' are at Hailsham?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)