|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 15, why does Tommy tell Kathy he wanted to find the Judy Bridgewater tape for her?
2. In chapter 16, what does Ruth begin to forget?
3. At the end of chapter 15, how does Ruth go out of her way to show Tommy and Kathy she had known she had acted badly earlier?
4. At what point in her donation cycle did Chrissie die?
5. What is the one thing the narrator notices most about the drawings Tommy shows her in chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 17, what changes does Kathy note about the Cottages after her rift with Ruth and Tommy?
2. What warning does Ruth offer to Kathy in chapter 17 should she ever want to pursue a relationship with Tommy?
3. How does Ruth react to the sight of her possible? How does she, and the others, come to believe this woman could not be her possible?
4. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
5. In chapter 21, who are Kathy and Tommy shocked to discover Madame is living with?
6. In chapter 12, why do Rodney and Chrissie invite Ruth to go on a trip to Norfolk with them? Who else will be going?
7. In chapter 12, Rodney and Chrissie report seeing what person in Norfolk during a trip there?
8. Why does Rodney and Chrissie detour the group into Woolworth's upon arriving in Norfolk in chapter 14? How do the others feel about this?
9. At the end of chapter 17, how does Kathy actively change her situation?
10. In chapter 21, what does Tommy tell Madame he has come to her to ask for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Tommy often get picked last for sports teams? How did he react to this slight? Why did Tommy stop working at his art? Who told Tommy his art was not important? Why did this person later tell Tommy that the art was really very important? What does Tommy come to believe is the point of the art the students are encouraged to do at Hailsham? Why does Tommy believe this? How does Tommy react when he comes to realize the truth about the students' are at Hailsham?
Essay Topic 2
What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy talked to him about that helped him curb his anger? Why did this help Tommy curb his anger? What is the relationship between Tommy and Kathy? Why does Tommy often make Kathy his confidant? How does Tommy react when Kathy tries to help him get close to Ruth? What is foreshadowed about this relationship while Tommy and Kathy are still at Hailsham?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss point of view. What point of view is used in this novel? How does this point of view impact the overall tone and feel of the book? How might the novel be different if it had been narrated by Ruth or Tommy or Miss Lucy? How might the novel be different if the author had used a third person point of view?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)