|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the students at Hailsham call Madame's collection of their art that she found amusing?
2. Where is the recovery center where Ruth is living during her donations?
3. In chapter 21, what picture does Tommy notice on Madame's wall?
4. In chapter 16, who does Ruth think will be Tommy's next girlfriend when she breaks up with him?
5. In chapter 15, what do Kathy and Tommy talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
2. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
3. In chapter 17, what changes does Kathy note about the Cottages after her rift with Ruth and Tommy?
4. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
5. At the end of chapter 17, how does Kathy actively change her situation?
6. In chapter 16, what does Kathy tell the reader she had thought she and Tommy might do after the trip to Norfolk, but never did?
7. In chapter 19, what causes Ruth to become angry with Kathy as she, Kathy, and Tommy visit an abandoned boat?
8. How does Ruth react to the sight of her possible? How does she, and the others, come to believe this woman could not be her possible?
9. In chapter 20, who does Kathy find at the address Ruth gave to Tommy for him to seek a deferral?
10. Why does Kathy constantly allow Ruth to indulge her fantasies even when she knows she is wrong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and Kathy have a falling out after returning from Norfolk. What causes Ruth to become unhappy with Kathy? How does she react to this object? Why does she get Kathy to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish and amateurish? Does Kathy really believe this? Why does Ruth tell Tommy this? What happens after this episode? How does Kathy find herself separated from her friends?
Essay Topic 2
What does Ruth reveal to Kathy after she, Kathy, and Tommy go to the boat? What does Ruth say about the relationship that should have existed between Tommy and Kathy? What does Ruth encourage Tommy and Kathy to seek? What is a deferment? What might it give to Kathy and Tommy? Why does Ruth push this on them? How do they react? Why does Ruth ask Kathy to stop being her carer and become Tommy's carer? Does Kathy take this advice?
Essay Topic 3
What is human cloning? Is it a possibility? What purpose would human cloning serve, as represented in this novel? Would it be humane to treat clones as Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth were treated in this novel? What were the people at Hailsham attempting to prove about the clones? Did their experiment work? Why or why not?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)