|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of chapter 18, the narrator tells the reader what is one of the most difficult parts of working as a carer?
2. Who claims to not recall learning about deferrals at Hailsham in chapter 13?
3. In chapter 15, why does Tommy tell Kathy he wanted to find the Judy Bridgewater tape for her?
4. In chapter 15, what does Tommy tell Kathy that he heard Miss Emily said about the artwork Madame took from the school?
5. What was Kingsfield before it became a donor center?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 19, what causes Ruth to become angry with Kathy as she, Kathy, and Tommy visit an abandoned boat?
2. Why does Rodney and Chrissie detour the group into Woolworth's upon arriving in Norfolk in chapter 14? How do the others feel about this?
3. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
4. In chapter 16, Ruth becomes annoyed with Kathy and forces her to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish, something Ruth later tells Tommy. What causes this change in Ruth's feelings toward Kathy and Tommy?
5. How has Kathy's life changed in the year that has passed between chapters 19 and 20?
6. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
7. In chapter 21, what does Tommy tell Madame he has come to her to ask for?
8. In chapter 20, who does Kathy find at the address Ruth gave to Tommy for him to seek a deferral?
9. In chapter 17, what changes does Kathy note about the Cottages after her rift with Ruth and Tommy?
10. In chapter 16, what does Kathy tell the reader she had thought she and Tommy might do after the trip to Norfolk, but never did?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and Kathy have a falling out after returning from Norfolk. What causes Ruth to become unhappy with Kathy? How does she react to this object? Why does she get Kathy to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish and amateurish? Does Kathy really believe this? Why does Ruth tell Tommy this? What happens after this episode? How does Kathy find herself separated from her friends?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Kathy? What does she do for a living? What is meant by the term carer? What is a donor? How long has Kathy been working at this career? Why does she think she is better at it than others? Is she? Where did Kathy's donor, whom she is caring for at the beginning of the book, grow up? Where did Kathy grow up? How do the two locations compare? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
In an essay, discuss the following elements as they exist and impact the developing plot in the early chapters of the novel:
3) Point of view.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)