|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After which of Tommy's donations did Kathy become his carer in chapter 20?
2. What lie has Ruth told Chrissie that Tommy nearly blows for her in chapter 13?
3. Who appears out of the darkness of the room at the end of chapter 21?
4. What was Kingsfield before it became a donor center?
5. In chapter 16, why does the narrator think she and her companions did not talk about their trip to Norfolk?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 12, Rodney and Chrissie report seeing what person in Norfolk during a trip there?
2. How does Ruth react to the sight of her possible? How does she, and the others, come to believe this woman could not be her possible?
3. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
4. In chapter 16, Ruth becomes annoyed with Kathy and forces her to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish, something Ruth later tells Tommy. What causes this change in Ruth's feelings toward Kathy and Tommy?
5. What does Tommy tell Kathy in chapter 15 that he believes are the purpose of the art they were encouraged to do at Hailsham?
6. Why does Rodney and Chrissie detour the group into Woolworth's upon arriving in Norfolk in chapter 14? How do the others feel about this?
7. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
8. In chapter 21, what does Tommy tell Madame he has come to her to ask for?
9. In chapter 19, what causes Ruth to become angry with Kathy as she, Kathy, and Tommy visit an abandoned boat?
10. In chapter 12, why do Rodney and Chrissie invite Ruth to go on a trip to Norfolk with them? Who else will be going?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
How is sex treated at Hailsham? How does Kathy respond to her own changing body and her physical desires? What relationship develops between Tommy and Ruth? Why does this relationship end temporarily when Miss Lucy tells Tommy that his art really was something important for him to concentrate on? How does Kathy respond to Tommy's revelation of Miss Lucy's changing advice? How do Tommy and Kathy respond when Miss Lucy suddenly leaves Hailsham? How do the other students react?
Essay Topic 3
What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy talked to him about that helped him curb his anger? Why did this help Tommy curb his anger? What is the relationship between Tommy and Kathy? Why does Tommy often make Kathy his confidant? How does Tommy react when Kathy tries to help him get close to Ruth? What is foreshadowed about this relationship while Tommy and Kathy are still at Hailsham?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)