|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are dream futures, as the narrator describes in chapter 12?
2. What does Ruth want to do after being run off from the office where her possible works in chapter 14?
3. In chapter 16, what does Ruth begin to forget?
4. What does Ruby ask the narrator forgiveness for in chapter 19?
5. For what reason has Tommy begun drawing again in chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kathy constantly allow Ruth to indulge her fantasies even when she knows she is wrong?
2. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
3. In chapter 21, who are Kathy and Tommy shocked to discover Madame is living with?
4. In chapter 12, Rodney and Chrissie report seeing what person in Norfolk during a trip there?
5. In chapter 12, what fantasy does Ruth develop after learning where her possible works?
6. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
7. In chapter 18, how does Kathy become Ruth's carer? How does Ruth react to this?
8. What does Tommy tell Kathy in chapter 15 that he believes are the purpose of the art they were encouraged to do at Hailsham?
9. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
10. In chapter 21, what does Tommy tell Madame he has come to her to ask for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following relationships in an essay:
1) Ruth and Kathy
2) Kathy and Tommy
3) Tommy and Ruth.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss point of view. What point of view is used in this novel? How does this point of view impact the overall tone and feel of the book? How might the novel be different if it had been narrated by Ruth or Tommy or Miss Lucy? How might the novel be different if the author had used a third person point of view?
Essay Topic 3
How is sex treated at Hailsham? How does Kathy respond to her own changing body and her physical desires? What relationship develops between Tommy and Ruth? Why does this relationship end temporarily when Miss Lucy tells Tommy that his art really was something important for him to concentrate on? How does Kathy respond to Tommy's revelation of Miss Lucy's changing advice? How do Tommy and Kathy respond when Miss Lucy suddenly leaves Hailsham? How do the other students react?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)