|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of chapter 15, how does Ruth go out of her way to show Tommy and Kathy she had known she had acted badly earlier?
2. In chapter 16, what does Ruth begin to forget?
3. What does Madame reveal in chapter 21 that the artwork from Hailsham was supposed to show?
4. In chapter 16, who does Ruth think will be Tommy's next girlfriend when she breaks up with him?
5. What job does Martin (Rodney and Chrissie's friend mentioned in chapter 13) have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ruth react to the sight of her possible? How does she, and the others, come to believe this woman could not be her possible?
2. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
3. What does Tommy tell Kathy in chapter 15 that he believes are the purpose of the art they were encouraged to do at Hailsham?
4. In chapter 16, what does Kathy tell the reader she had thought she and Tommy might do after the trip to Norfolk, but never did?
5. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
6. In chapter 19, what causes Ruth to become angry with Kathy as she, Kathy, and Tommy visit an abandoned boat?
7. In chapter 15, who does Rodney and Chrissie want to visit that Kathy refuses to see? For what reason?
8. In chapter 12, why do Rodney and Chrissie invite Ruth to go on a trip to Norfolk with them? Who else will be going?
9. In chapter 20, who does Kathy find at the address Ruth gave to Tommy for him to seek a deferral?
10. In chapter 18, how does Kathy learn that Ruth has begun her donations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss point of view. What point of view is used in this novel? How does this point of view impact the overall tone and feel of the book? How might the novel be different if it had been narrated by Ruth or Tommy or Miss Lucy? How might the novel be different if the author had used a third person point of view?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is human cloning? Is it a possibility? What purpose would human cloning serve, as represented in this novel? Would it be humane to treat clones as Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth were treated in this novel? What were the people at Hailsham attempting to prove about the clones? Did their experiment work? Why or why not?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)