|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of chapter 15, how does Ruth go out of her way to show Tommy and Kathy she had known she had acted badly earlier?
2. In chapter 16, what does James B. carry back to a picnic at Hailsham?
3. In chapter 16, from whom does the narrator keep her distance in her final weeks there?
4. In chapter 13, why does Ruby become irate when Kathy suggests they switch seats?
5. In chapter 15, what kind of shops did Tommy and Kathy initially visit in the search for her Judy Bridgewater tape?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
2. In chapter 12, what fantasy does Ruth develop after learning where her possible works?
3. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
4. How does Ruth react to the sight of her possible? How does she, and the others, come to believe this woman could not be her possible?
5. In chapter 18, how does Kathy become Ruth's carer? How does Ruth react to this?
6. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
7. In chapter 12, why do Rodney and Chrissie invite Ruth to go on a trip to Norfolk with them? Who else will be going?
8. What does Tommy tell Kathy in chapter 15 that he believes are the purpose of the art they were encouraged to do at Hailsham?
9. In chapter 21, what does Tommy tell Madame he has come to her to ask for?
10. What warning does Ruth offer to Kathy in chapter 17 should she ever want to pursue a relationship with Tommy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following relationships in an essay:
1) Ruth and Kathy
2) Kathy and Tommy
3) Tommy and Ruth.
Essay Topic 2
Why do Kathy and Tommy eventually seek out Madame? What do they learn from Madame? How did Tommy seem to know the truth about his life? What does Miss Emily say about Tommy's fits of anger and what those implied about his knowledge of his future? Why do Kathy and Tommy not attempt to run away? Why does Tommy seem accepting of his future? Is Kathy as accepting of her own future?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ruth become obsessed with her possible that Rodney and Chrissie believe they saw in Norfolk? What does Ruth hope to see or learn from this woman? How does Ruth respond to the realization that this woman is more than likely not her possible? What does Ruth's overall interest in this woman say about who she is, what her purpose is, and how she feels about this aspect of her life?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)