|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator notice about Madame's door in chapter 21 as they enter her house?
2. What does Madame keep repeating as Tommy and Kathy speak to her in chapter 21?
3. What does Ruth want to do after being run off from the office where her possible works in chapter 14?
4. In the beginning of chapter 18, the narrator tells the reader what is one of the most difficult parts of working as a carer?
5. Who appears out of the darkness of the room at the end of chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ruth become obsessed with her possible that Rodney and Chrissie believe they saw in Norfolk? What does Ruth hope to see or learn from this woman? How does Ruth respond to the realization that this woman is more than likely not her possible? What does Ruth's overall interest in this woman say about who she is, what her purpose is, and how she feels about this aspect of her life?
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, discuss the following elements as they exist and impact the developing plot in the early chapters of the novel:
3) Point of view.
Essay Topic 3
At Halisham, the students appear to take on different aspects of behavior as they become involved with different groups of students. Later, Kathy notes that many of the residents of the Cottage appear to take clues about behavior from television. Is this normal behavior? Why do the students seem to learn behavior from outside influences rather than instinctively from their own personalities? How do these early hints at Hailsham suggest something special about these students?
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)