|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older than the clone is suspected a possible would be as described in chapter 12?
2. How does the narrator say the trip to Norfolk was nearly called off at the beginning of chapter 13?
3. In chapter 16, why does the narrator think she and her companions did not talk about their trip to Norfolk?
4. In chapter 18, the narrator mentions the name of a student from Hailsham who had difficulty dealing with being a carer. Who does she mention?
5. How does the narrator say Ruth responded to the possibility of not taking the trip to Norfolk in chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of chapter 17, how does Kathy actively change her situation?
2. What does Tommy tell Kathy in chapter 15 that he believes are the purpose of the art they were encouraged to do at Hailsham?
3. In chapter 19, what causes Ruth to become angry with Kathy as she, Kathy, and Tommy visit an abandoned boat?
4. How has Kathy's life changed in the year that has passed between chapters 19 and 20?
5. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
6. In chapter 17, what changes does Kathy note about the Cottages after her rift with Ruth and Tommy?
7. In chapter 18, how does Kathy become Ruth's carer? How does Ruth react to this?
8. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
9. In chapter 21, who are Kathy and Tommy shocked to discover Madame is living with?
10. In chapter 15, who does Rodney and Chrissie want to visit that Kathy refuses to see? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Medical cloning.
Essay Topic 2
Why do Tommy and Kathy refuse to go see a carer with the others in chapter 15? What do they spend their time doing? What is significant about the cassette tape they go in search of? What is special about the song Kathy likes on the recording? How does this recording make Kathy feel? Who once saw Kathy listening to this song? What was significant about her watching Kathy dance to the song? What is significant about Tommy's desire to find the recording for Kathy? What does this suggest about Tommy's feelings for Kathy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Character motivation
2) Character relationships
3) Character traits.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)