|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What billboard does the narrator point out in chapter 19 that she hopes will remind Tommy and Ruth of their trip to Norfolk?
2. At what point in her donation cycle did Chrissie die?
3. In chapter 16, why does the narrator think she and her companions did not talk about their trip to Norfolk?
4. To where does Ruth and her friends follow the possible from the office in chapter 14?
5. In chapter 14, what causes Rodney's group to run away from the office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Tommy begun to draw after the trip to Norfolk? What does Kathy initially think of these drawings?
2. In chapter 16, Ruth becomes annoyed with Kathy and forces her to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish, something Ruth later tells Tommy. What causes this change in Ruth's feelings toward Kathy and Tommy?
3. How has Kathy's life changed in the year that has passed between chapters 19 and 20?
4. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
5. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
6. In chapter 17, what changes does Kathy note about the Cottages after her rift with Ruth and Tommy?
7. In chapter 19, what causes Ruth to become angry with Kathy as she, Kathy, and Tommy visit an abandoned boat?
8. What warning does Ruth offer to Kathy in chapter 17 should she ever want to pursue a relationship with Tommy?
9. What does Tommy tell Kathy in chapter 15 that he believes are the purpose of the art they were encouraged to do at Hailsham?
10. In chapter 21, who are Kathy and Tommy shocked to discover Madame is living with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Kathy? What does she do for a living? What is meant by the term carer? What is a donor? How long has Kathy been working at this career? Why does she think she is better at it than others? Is she? Where did Kathy's donor, whom she is caring for at the beginning of the book, grow up? Where did Kathy grow up? How do the two locations compare? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, discuss the following elements as they exist and impact the developing plot in the early chapters of the novel:
3) Point of view.
Essay Topic 3
What are Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth? How do they come to understand the truth of their situation? How much time passes between Kathy's time at the Cottage and her next meeting with Ruth? How does Ruth respond when she discovers that Kathy has become her carer? What do they talk about in the beginning of their reunion? Why do they go to see a marooned boat? Who do they take with them? What does this say about the relationship between Ruth and Kathy now?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)