|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does Ruth and her friends follow the possible from the office in chapter 14?
2. Who tells Chrissie and Rodney that the students at Hailsham were told about deferrals in chapter 13?
3. Who first suggests, in chapter 18, that Tommy join Kathy and Ruby in their visit to the marooned boat?
4. In chapter 14, what was the predominate theme of the artwork in Portway Studios?
5. In chapter 15, why does Tommy think he has blown his future by refusing to participate in art at Hailsham?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
2. What does Tommy tell Kathy in chapter 15 that he believes are the purpose of the art they were encouraged to do at Hailsham?
3. What warning does Ruth offer to Kathy in chapter 17 should she ever want to pursue a relationship with Tommy?
4. In chapter 16, what does Kathy tell the reader she had thought she and Tommy might do after the trip to Norfolk, but never did?
5. How has Kathy's life changed in the year that has passed between chapters 19 and 20?
6. In chapter 21, who are Kathy and Tommy shocked to discover Madame is living with?
7. In chapter 18, how does Kathy become Ruth's carer? How does Ruth react to this?
8. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
9. In chapter 16, Ruth becomes annoyed with Kathy and forces her to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish, something Ruth later tells Tommy. What causes this change in Ruth's feelings toward Kathy and Tommy?
10. Why does Rodney and Chrissie detour the group into Woolworth's upon arriving in Norfolk in chapter 14? How do the others feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Tommy often get picked last for sports teams? How did he react to this slight? Why did Tommy stop working at his art? Who told Tommy his art was not important? Why did this person later tell Tommy that the art was really very important? What does Tommy come to believe is the point of the art the students are encouraged to do at Hailsham? Why does Tommy believe this? How does Tommy react when he comes to realize the truth about the students' are at Hailsham?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)