|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator say the trip to Norfolk was nearly called off at the beginning of chapter 13?
2. How much older than the clone is suspected a possible would be as described in chapter 12?
3. What promise does the narrator make to Ruth after her second donation in chapter 19?
4. In chapter 16, how does the narrator make her intention to become a carer immediately known?
5. In chapter 16, from whom does the narrator keep her distance in her final weeks there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
2. In chapter 15, who does Rodney and Chrissie want to visit that Kathy refuses to see? For what reason?
3. In chapter 18, how does Kathy become Ruth's carer? How does Ruth react to this?
4. In chapter 12, why do Rodney and Chrissie invite Ruth to go on a trip to Norfolk with them? Who else will be going?
5. In chapter 19, what causes Ruth to become angry with Kathy as she, Kathy, and Tommy visit an abandoned boat?
6. At the end of chapter 17, how does Kathy actively change her situation?
7. In chapter 21, who are Kathy and Tommy shocked to discover Madame is living with?
8. How has Kathy's life changed in the year that has passed between chapters 19 and 20?
9. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
10. In chapter 12, what fantasy does Ruth develop after learning where her possible works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ruth become obsessed with her possible that Rodney and Chrissie believe they saw in Norfolk? What does Ruth hope to see or learn from this woman? How does Ruth respond to the realization that this woman is more than likely not her possible? What does Ruth's overall interest in this woman say about who she is, what her purpose is, and how she feels about this aspect of her life?
Essay Topic 2
Who are Ruth and Tommy? How did Kathy know them in her past? How does she learn that Ruth has become a donor? Why does Kathy request to become Ruth's carer? What does Kathy tell the reader about her first meeting with Ruth? How was Ruth somewhat odd? Why did Ruth feel the need to protect Miss Geraldine? Was there a real danger toward Miss Geraldine? How did Kathy help Ruth keep up the illusion of a special relationship between she and Miss Geraldine? How did Ruth repay this kindness?
Essay Topic 3
Why do Kathy and Tommy eventually seek out Madame? What do they learn from Madame? How did Tommy seem to know the truth about his life? What does Miss Emily say about Tommy's fits of anger and what those implied about his knowledge of his future? Why do Kathy and Tommy not attempt to run away? Why does Tommy seem accepting of his future? Is Kathy as accepting of her own future?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)