|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 15, what kind of shops did Tommy and Kathy initially visit in the search for her Judy Bridgewater tape?
2. What one sign of her health struggles does Ruth show during the walk to the boat in chapter 18?
3. What lie has Ruth told Chrissie that Tommy nearly blows for her in chapter 13?
4. What are dream futures, as the narrator describes in chapter 12?
5. Why does there seem to be a different set of rules for the clones from Hailsham as compared to the clones from other backgrounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Kathy's life changed in the year that has passed between chapters 19 and 20?
2. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
3. In chapter 18, how does Kathy learn that Ruth has begun her donations?
4. Why does Kathy constantly allow Ruth to indulge her fantasies even when she knows she is wrong?
5. In chapter 12, what fantasy does Ruth develop after learning where her possible works?
6. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
7. In chapter 16, what does Kathy tell the reader she had thought she and Tommy might do after the trip to Norfolk, but never did?
8. What does Tommy tell Kathy in chapter 15 that he believes are the purpose of the art they were encouraged to do at Hailsham?
9. In chapter 16, Ruth becomes annoyed with Kathy and forces her to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish, something Ruth later tells Tommy. What causes this change in Ruth's feelings toward Kathy and Tommy?
10. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Kathy? What does she do for a living? What is meant by the term carer? What is a donor? How long has Kathy been working at this career? Why does she think she is better at it than others? Is she? Where did Kathy's donor, whom she is caring for at the beginning of the book, grow up? Where did Kathy grow up? How do the two locations compare? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following relationships in an essay:
1) Ruth and Kathy
2) Kathy and Tommy
3) Tommy and Ruth.
Essay Topic 3
Who are Ruth and Tommy? How did Kathy know them in her past? How does she learn that Ruth has become a donor? Why does Kathy request to become Ruth's carer? What does Kathy tell the reader about her first meeting with Ruth? How was Ruth somewhat odd? Why did Ruth feel the need to protect Miss Geraldine? Was there a real danger toward Miss Geraldine? How did Kathy help Ruth keep up the illusion of a special relationship between she and Miss Geraldine? How did Ruth repay this kindness?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)