|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 16, what route does Kathy say was out of bounds at Hailsham?
2. Why does the narrator refuse to go visit Martin while in Norfolk?
3. In chapter 21, what picture does Tommy notice on Madame's wall?
4. What does the narrator notice about Madame's door in chapter 21 as they enter her house?
5. In chapter 16, what does the narrator suggest is bothering Tommy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 12, why do Rodney and Chrissie invite Ruth to go on a trip to Norfolk with them? Who else will be going?
2. How does Ruth react to the sight of her possible? How does she, and the others, come to believe this woman could not be her possible?
3. In chapter 12, what fantasy does Ruth develop after learning where her possible works?
4. In chapter 20, who does Kathy find at the address Ruth gave to Tommy for him to seek a deferral?
5. In chapter 21, what does Tommy tell Madame he has come to her to ask for?
6. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
7. In chapter 18, how does Kathy learn that Ruth has begun her donations?
8. In chapter 16, what does Kathy tell the reader she had thought she and Tommy might do after the trip to Norfolk, but never did?
9. In chapter 16, Ruth becomes annoyed with Kathy and forces her to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish, something Ruth later tells Tommy. What causes this change in Ruth's feelings toward Kathy and Tommy?
10. In chapter 17, what changes does Kathy note about the Cottages after her rift with Ruth and Tommy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Cottages? Why do Ruth, Tommy and Kathy move there? What do the older residents at the Cottages teach these three? What social problems does Kathy have at the Cottages? What desires does she feel that causes her to feel different from those around her? How are Ruth and Tommy treated at the Cottages? Does this cause tension between Kathy and Ruth? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss point of view. What point of view is used in this novel? How does this point of view impact the overall tone and feel of the book? How might the novel be different if it had been narrated by Ruth or Tommy or Miss Lucy? How might the novel be different if the author had used a third person point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following relationships in an essay:
1) Ruth and Kathy
2) Kathy and Tommy
3) Tommy and Ruth.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)