|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator refuse to go visit Martin while in Norfolk?
2. In chapter 15, why does Tommy think he has blown his future by refusing to participate in art at Hailsham?
3. In the beginning of chapter 18, the narrator tells the reader what is one of the most difficult parts of working as a carer?
4. Who claims to not recall learning about deferrals at Hailsham in chapter 13?
5. In chapter 14, what was the predominate theme of the artwork in Portway Studios?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth admit to Kathy in chapter 19 that she believes should have happened in their past and that she actively attempted to prevent?
2. At the end of chapter 17, how does Kathy actively change her situation?
3. How does Ruth react to the sight of her possible? How does she, and the others, come to believe this woman could not be her possible?
4. What has Tommy begun to draw after the trip to Norfolk? What does Kathy initially think of these drawings?
5. In chapter 21, what does Tommy tell Madame he has come to her to ask for?
6. In chapter 12, what fantasy does Ruth develop after learning where her possible works?
7. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
8. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
9. In chapter 16, what does Kathy tell the reader she had thought she and Tommy might do after the trip to Norfolk, but never did?
10. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Kathy? What does she do for a living? What is meant by the term carer? What is a donor? How long has Kathy been working at this career? Why does she think she is better at it than others? Is she? Where did Kathy's donor, whom she is caring for at the beginning of the book, grow up? Where did Kathy grow up? How do the two locations compare? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
How is sex treated at Hailsham? How does Kathy respond to her own changing body and her physical desires? What relationship develops between Tommy and Ruth? Why does this relationship end temporarily when Miss Lucy tells Tommy that his art really was something important for him to concentrate on? How does Kathy respond to Tommy's revelation of Miss Lucy's changing advice? How do Tommy and Kathy respond when Miss Lucy suddenly leaves Hailsham? How do the other students react?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ruth become obsessed with her possible that Rodney and Chrissie believe they saw in Norfolk? What does Ruth hope to see or learn from this woman? How does Ruth respond to the realization that this woman is more than likely not her possible? What does Ruth's overall interest in this woman say about who she is, what her purpose is, and how she feels about this aspect of her life?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)