|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 16, who were Kathy and Ruth discussing when Ruth finds the Judy Bridgewater tape?
2. How much older than the clone is suspected a possible would be as described in chapter 12?
3. What concern has Tommy admitted to the narrator he has for the creatures in his drawings?
4. In chapter 14, what was the predominate theme of the artwork in Portway Studios?
5. What is the definition of a possible as described by the narrator in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 20, who does Kathy find at the address Ruth gave to Tommy for him to seek a deferral?
2. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
3. In chapter 18, how does Kathy learn that Ruth has begun her donations?
4. In chapter 12, why do Rodney and Chrissie invite Ruth to go on a trip to Norfolk with them? Who else will be going?
5. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
6. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
7. In chapter 21, what does Tommy tell Madame he has come to her to ask for?
8. In chapter 12, what fantasy does Ruth develop after learning where her possible works?
9. How does Ruth react to the sight of her possible? How does she, and the others, come to believe this woman could not be her possible?
10. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Tommy often get picked last for sports teams? How did he react to this slight? Why did Tommy stop working at his art? Who told Tommy his art was not important? Why did this person later tell Tommy that the art was really very important? What does Tommy come to believe is the point of the art the students are encouraged to do at Hailsham? Why does Tommy believe this? How does Tommy react when he comes to realize the truth about the students' are at Hailsham?
Essay Topic 2
How is sex treated at Hailsham? How does Kathy respond to her own changing body and her physical desires? What relationship develops between Tommy and Ruth? Why does this relationship end temporarily when Miss Lucy tells Tommy that his art really was something important for him to concentrate on? How does Kathy respond to Tommy's revelation of Miss Lucy's changing advice? How do Tommy and Kathy respond when Miss Lucy suddenly leaves Hailsham? How do the other students react?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Kathy? What does she do for a living? What is meant by the term carer? What is a donor? How long has Kathy been working at this career? Why does she think she is better at it than others? Is she? Where did Kathy's donor, whom she is caring for at the beginning of the book, grow up? Where did Kathy grow up? How do the two locations compare? How do they differ?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)