|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are tokens?
(a) Rewards students are given for the artwork they supply to the exchanges.
(b) Coins used in video games.
(c) Toys for small children at Hailsham.
(d) Gifts for good grades at Hailsham.
2. When does the narrator hope she might be able to have more time to listen to her favorite music tape?
(a) When she settles down to have a family.
(b) When she retires from her bookkeeping job.
(c) When she stops being a carer.
(d) When she leave college.
3. What does the narrator tell the reader unzipping meant to the students at Hailsham in chapter 7?
(a) They could unzip their clothing and show off their internal organs.
(b) They could unzip their spines and remove their skeletons.
(c) They could unzip their bodies and provide organs easily.
(d) They could unzip their heads and reveal their intelligence.
4. What were the students at Hailsham allowed to wear on weekends, but not during the week?
(b) Their own clothing.
(c) Team jerseys.
5. What trip does the narrator foreshadow at the end of chapter 11?
(a) A trip to Hailsham.
(b) A trip to Norfolk.
(c) A trip to Dover.
(d) A trip to London.
Short Answer Questions
1. What things in Tommy's behavior does the narrator believe she missed as signs of something that has taken place in chapter 8?
2. Who was Moira B?
3. What are the ages of the Junior classes at Hailsham?
4. Who is Keffers?
5. What are Sales?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
2. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
3. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
4. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
5. Where do Tommy, Ruth, and Kathy go after leaving Hailsham when they are sixteen?
6. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
7. What was an important aspect of education at Hailsham?
8. Where does Ruth tell everyone she got a pencil case she shows off in chapter 5? Where does Kathy suspect she really got the case?
9. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
10. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)