|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Miss Geraldine?
(a) A donor at the clinic where Kathy works.
(b) A guardian at Hailsham who is everyone's favorite.
(c) A carer in Kathy's clinic.
(d) A teacher at the Cottages.
2. Who calls Tommy an idiot in chapter 1 for not seeing that the boys are going to ignore him while picking players for the sports team?
3. What rumors abound at Hailsham about students who wander into the woods?
(a) They are made to volunteer to cook lunch.
(b) They are murdered.
(c) They are forced to do extra homework.
(d) They are forced to add to the mural on the wall.
4. What does the narrator say the students used their tokens on?
(a) Extra food in the cafeteria.
(b) Presents for parents and relatives.
(c) Clothing and decorations for their desks.
(d) Video games.
5. What is Dave's stump?
(a) A tree stump in the yard nicknamed Dave after the owner's son.
(b) A tree stump at where a boy named Dave often cut wood for the fireplaces.
(c) A tree stump where a boy named Dave is rumored to have died.
(d) A tree stump where a boy named Dave often sat to read or write.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the narrator kicked out of the secret guard?
2. What vice is strongly discouraged at Hailsham?
3. What does Tommy tell the narrator that he thinks Miss Lucy feels the students are not being taught properly?
4. Who first suggested that Madame was frightened of the students at Hailsham?
5. What are the ages of the Junior classes at Hailsham?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 21, who are Kathy and Tommy shocked to discover Madame is living with?
2. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
3. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
4. In chapter 19, what causes Ruth to become angry with Kathy as she, Kathy, and Tommy visit an abandoned boat?
5. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
6. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
7. How has Kathy's life changed in the year that has passed between chapters 19 and 20?
8. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
9. In chapter 22, how does Tommy react to the truth of his life? How does this seem to relate to something Miss Emily said to him?
10. In chapter 13, Rodney and Chrissie ask Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy about what type of deferment?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)