|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was often terribly cold in the farmhouse at the Cottages, as mentioned in chapter 10?
(a) The caretaker rarely brought in enough heaters.
(b) The weather made it impossible to keep up with the temperatures.
(c) The house was in poor repair.
(d) The house was impossible to heat due to its size.
2. Who is Keffers?
(a) The owner of the Cottages.
(b) A teacher at the Cottages.
(c) The caretaker at the Cottages.
(d) The neighbor of the Cottages.
3. Who is Miss Geraldine?
(a) A teacher at the Cottages.
(b) A donor at the clinic where Kathy works.
(c) A carer in Kathy's clinic.
(d) A guardian at Hailsham who is everyone's favorite.
4. Who decides to comfort Tommy at the end of chapter 1 during his temper tantrum?
5. Who first suggested that Madame was frightened of the students at Hailsham?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator tell the reader unzipping meant to the students at Hailsham in chapter 7?
2. What is Bramble, as described in chapter 4?
3. How long does narrator say Miss Geraldine told her Madame has been coming to their school?
4. What is the narrator doing as she recalls these events from her past, as a student at Hailsham?
5. What does Ruth give the narrator in chapter 6 to replace her lost tape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
2. Where do Tommy, Ruth, and Kathy go after leaving Hailsham when they are sixteen?
3. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
4. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
5. What was the purpose of the secret guard? Who ran it?
6. How does Kathy think Madame feels about the students at Hailsham? What does she do about it?
7. Who tells the students that there is something about Madame and their artwork that they are not being told?
8. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
9. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
10. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)