|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tommy tell the narrator that he thinks Miss Lucy feels the students are not being taught properly?
(a) About donations.
(b) About their work as carers.
(c) About their future careers.
(d) About art.
2. What did Kathy see Miss Lucy doing in a quiet classroom at the beginning of chapter 8?
(a) Creating a new type of art.
(b) Scribbling over students' homework.
(c) Encouraging Tommy to create more art.
(d) Blacking out lines on unknown papers.
3. What warning does Miss Emily offer the students in chapter 7 about having sex with people in the outside world?
(a) That it could keep them from having to make donations.
(b) That it was something they physically could not do.
(c) That it was more emotional for those who could have children.
(d) That it could be fun.
4. With whom has Tommy recently had a break up as described in chapter 8?
5. What rumors abound at Hailsham about students who wander into the woods?
(a) They are forced to add to the mural on the wall.
(b) They are made to volunteer to cook lunch.
(c) They are forced to do extra homework.
(d) They are murdered.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 11, what does the narrator define courses as?
2. What trip does the narrator foreshadow at the end of chapter 11?
3. Where did the narrator and Tommy often meet in secrecy during their years at Hailsham?
4. Who plots to prove Madame's fear of the students at Hailsham?
5. Who makes fun of Tommy's expressions as he warms up on the sports field with the other boys in chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 10, what does Ruth accuse Kathy of being jealous of?
2. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
3. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
4. In chapter 8, what does Kathy see Miss Lucy doing that makes her think the woman is sinister?
5. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
6. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
7. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
8. As the students at Hailsham grow older, what becomes the main subjects of discussion?
9. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
10. Where does Ruth tell everyone she got a pencil case she shows off in chapter 5? Where does Kathy suspect she really got the case?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)