|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dave's stump?
(a) A tree stump where a boy named Dave often sat to read or write.
(b) A tree stump where a boy named Dave is rumored to have died.
(c) A tree stump at where a boy named Dave often cut wood for the fireplaces.
(d) A tree stump in the yard nicknamed Dave after the owner's son.
2. Who suggests that Kathy might be Tommy's next girlfriend in chapter 9?
3. What writing assignment were the Hailsham students supposed to be working on during their two years at the Cottages?
(a) A short story.
(b) A novel.
(c) A thesis.
(d) An essay.
4. Where is the novel set?
(b) New York.
5. What trip does the narrator foreshadow at the end of chapter 11?
(a) A trip to Hailsham.
(b) A trip to Norfolk.
(c) A trip to London.
(d) A trip to Dover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the term completion mean when applied to a donor?
2. Why does the narrator suggest Ruby was correct in accusing her of making no friends outside of Hailsham alum?
3. Why does Ruth ask Kathy to ask Tommy to come back to her in chapter 9?
4. Who asks Tommy to get back into his art in chapter 9?
5. How long does narrator say Miss Geraldine told her Madame has been coming to their school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
2. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
3. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
4. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
5. What change in attitude does Kathy remember noticing in Tommy during their days at Hailsham?
6. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
7. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
8. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
9. What was an important aspect of education at Hailsham?
10. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)