|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose room does Tommy admit in chapter 11 that he saw the narrator looking at similar magazines as the ones he finds her looking at in the boiler room in chapter 11?
2. How does Kathy find herself on Ruth's good books at the end of part one?
(a) By getting Tommy to work his art again.
(b) By stealing a pencil case from Miss Geraldine.
(c) By stealing a forbidden tape of music.
(d) By getting Ruth and Tommy back together.
3. Who suggests that Kathy might be Tommy's next girlfriend in chapter 9?
4. What does the narrator reveal in chapter 10 her topic was for her writing assignment when she first arrived at the Cottages?
(a) Victorian novels.
(b) Clone rights.
(c) Women's rights.
(d) Modern American novels.
5. Why was often terribly cold in the farmhouse at the Cottages, as mentioned in chapter 10?
(a) The weather made it impossible to keep up with the temperatures.
(b) The house was impossible to heat due to its size.
(c) The house was in poor repair.
(d) The caretaker rarely brought in enough heaters.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what room was the art displayed for Madame?
2. What does the narrator tell the reader unzipping meant to the students at Hailsham in chapter 7?
3. Who was often blamed, as mentioned in chapter 11, for all the pornographic magazines discovered at the Cottages?
4. How long does narrator say Miss Geraldine told her Madame has been coming to their school?
5. Where is the novel set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
2. In chapter 8, what does Kathy see Miss Lucy doing that makes her think the woman is sinister?
3. Where do Tommy, Ruth, and Kathy go after leaving Hailsham when they are sixteen?
4. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
5. What was an important aspect of education at Hailsham?
6. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
7. Who tells the students that there is something about Madame and their artwork that they are not being told?
8. Where does Ruth tell everyone she got a pencil case she shows off in chapter 5? Where does Kathy suspect she really got the case?
9. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
10. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)