|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 11, what does the narrator define courses as?
(a) Training to be a nurse.
(b) Training to be a vet.
(c) Training to be a donor.
(d) Training to be a carer.
2. Why is the narrator reluctant to sit beside Tommy in chapter 3 when they meet at the pond?
(a) She does not want to get her pants wet.
(b) She does not want to let Tommy know how she feels about him.
(c) She does not want to give Tommy the wrong impression.
(d) She does not want anyone to observe them and think they are up to something wrong.
3. What are Sales?
(a) A store at Hailsham to reward students for good behavior.
(b) A merchant van that came to Hailsham once a month.
(c) A class that teaches economics at Hailsham.
(d) A student run market at Hailsham.
4. Why did the narrator believe Ruth to be a good chess player?
(a) Ruth had a collection of books on the subject.
(b) Ruth often commented on chess games in progress.
(c) Ruth often voiced a desire to play the game.
(d) Ruth said she was.
5. What does the narrator mentioned she often used for blankets in chapter 11?
(a) Blankets donated by rich widows.
(b) Old curtains and carpet peices.
(c) Wool cloth scraps.
(d) Old clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the narrator and Tommy often meet in secrecy during their years at Hailsham?
2. Who is Keffers?
3. What does Laura teach the narrator in chapter 7 in order to discourage boys?
4. What is the narrator doing as she recalls these events from her past, as a student at Hailsham?
5. What is Dave's stump?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 22, how does Tommy react to the truth of his life? How does this seem to relate to something Miss Emily said to him?
2. In chapter 21, who are Kathy and Tommy shocked to discover Madame is living with?
3. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
4. What else in chapter 3 does Tommy feel Miss Lucy wanted to tell him about himself and was not able to do so?
5. In chapter 17, what changes does Kathy note about the Cottages after her rift with Ruth and Tommy?
6. In chapter 22, what do Tommy and Kathy learn Hailsham was originally designed to do?
7. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
8. What does Kathy decide not to tell Ruth at the end of chapter 15?
9. Why does Rodney and Chrissie detour the group into Woolworth's upon arriving in Norfolk in chapter 14? How do the others feel about this?
10. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)