|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Judy Bridgewater?
(a) A singer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A carer.
2. Where is the novel set?
(c) New York.
3. What changes does the narrator note about her relationship with Ruby in chapter 11?
(a) They are closer than ever.
(b) They fight more, but they share confidences more.
(c) They fight constantly and hate one another.
(d) Nothing has changed.
4. Why does the narrator suggest Ruby was correct in accusing her of making no friends outside of Hailsham alum?
(a) She criticized Ruby's friendships outside the Hailsham alum.
(b) She struggled to make friends with the veterans.
(c) She knows now she should have tried harder to make friends.
(d) She believes Ruby was only trying to help.
5. Who was often blamed, as mentioned in chapter 11, for all the pornographic magazines discovered at the Cottages?
(a) Ruby and Tommy.
(b) The caretaker.
(c) The owner's son.
(d) A boy named Steve.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ruth ask Kathy to ask Tommy to come back to her in chapter 9?
2. What is Bramble, as described in chapter 4?
3. What is the secret guard?
4. What would the narrator often hold while listening to her favorite song, Never Let Me Go?
5. What is the point of view of this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 8, what does Kathy see Miss Lucy doing that makes her think the woman is sinister?
2. Where does Ruth tell everyone she got a pencil case she shows off in chapter 5? Where does Kathy suspect she really got the case?
3. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
4. Where do Tommy, Ruth, and Kathy go after leaving Hailsham when they are sixteen?
5. As the students at Hailsham grow older, what becomes the main subjects of discussion?
6. What was an important aspect of education at Hailsham?
7. Who tells the students that there is something about Madame and their artwork that they are not being told?
8. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
9. What was the purpose of the secret guard? Who ran it?
10. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)