|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator reveal in chapter 10 her topic was for her writing assignment when she first arrived at the Cottages?
(a) Modern American novels.
(b) Women's rights.
(c) Victorian novels.
(d) Clone rights.
2. Why does the narrator suggest Ruby was correct in accusing her of making no friends outside of Hailsham alum?
(a) She believes Ruby was only trying to help.
(b) She struggled to make friends with the veterans.
(c) She knows now she should have tried harder to make friends.
(d) She criticized Ruby's friendships outside the Hailsham alum.
3. What vice is strongly discouraged at Hailsham?
(d) Premarital sex.
4. When does the narrator hope she might be able to have more time to listen to her favorite music tape?
(a) When she retires from her bookkeeping job.
(b) When she settles down to have a family.
(c) When she leave college.
(d) When she stops being a carer.
5. Why did the students feel Madame was different, odd?
(a) She never allowed the children to come near her.
(b) She interacted with the kids more than others.
(c) She enjoyed the art that others thought was poorly made.
(d) She avoided the guardians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the term completion mean when applied to a donor?
2. What does Miss Lucy tell the students in chapter 7 they are destined to do?
3. What rumors abound at Hailsham about students who wander into the woods?
4. What is the point of view of this novel?
5. What is a Walkman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is stolen from Kathy's room in chapter 6?
2. What else in chapter 3 does Tommy feel Miss Lucy wanted to tell him about himself and was not able to do so?
3. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
4. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
5. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
6. How does Kathy think Madame feels about the students at Hailsham? What does she do about it?
7. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
8. In chapter 10, what does Ruth accuse Kathy of being jealous of?
9. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
10. Who tells the students that there is something about Madame and their artwork that they are not being told?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)