|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person.
(c) Limited omniscient.
(d) First person.
2. At the end of chapter 4, what does Ruth accuse the narrator of doing all wrong?
(a) Putting their toys away.
(b) Drawing pictures of horses.
(c) Putting her imaginary horses away.
(d) Drawing a hopscotch grid on the sidewalk.
3. Where did the donor in the narrator's third year grow up, causing her to recall her own childhood at Hailsham?
(d) Kansas City.
4. Who was often blamed, as mentioned in chapter 11, for all the pornographic magazines discovered at the Cottages?
(a) A boy named Steve.
(b) Ruby and Tommy.
(c) The caretaker.
(d) The owner's son.
5. What does the narrator reveal in chapter 10 her topic was for her writing assignment when she first arrived at the Cottages?
(a) Women's rights.
(b) Victorian novels.
(c) Modern American novels.
(d) Clone rights.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Moira B?
2. Why is the narrator reluctant to sit beside Tommy in chapter 3 when they meet at the pond?
3. What vice is strongly discouraged at Hailsham?
4. What rumors abound at Hailsham about students who wander into the woods?
5. In chapter 11, what does the narrator define courses as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon first meeting Ruth, as described in chapter 4, what do Ruth and Kathy do together?
2. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
3. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
4. In chapter 10, what does Ruth accuse Kathy of being jealous of?
5. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
6. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
7. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
8. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
9. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
10. What is stolen from Kathy's room in chapter 6?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)