|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writing assignment were the Hailsham students supposed to be working on during their two years at the Cottages?
(a) A novel.
(b) A thesis.
(c) A short story.
(d) An essay.
2. What did Kathy see Miss Lucy doing in a quiet classroom at the beginning of chapter 8?
(a) Blacking out lines on unknown papers.
(b) Scribbling over students' homework.
(c) Creating a new type of art.
(d) Encouraging Tommy to create more art.
3. What are Sales?
(a) A merchant van that came to Hailsham once a month.
(b) A class that teaches economics at Hailsham.
(c) A student run market at Hailsham.
(d) A store at Hailsham to reward students for good behavior.
4. In whose room does Tommy admit in chapter 11 that he saw the narrator looking at similar magazines as the ones he finds her looking at in the boiler room in chapter 11?
5. With whom has Tommy recently had a break up as described in chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose departure from Hailsham shocks all the students in chapter 9?
2. What does the term completion mean when applied to a donor?
3. Who calls Tommy an idiot in chapter 1 for not seeing that the boys are going to ignore him while picking players for the sports team?
4. Where is the novel set?
5. Who plots to prove Madame's fear of the students at Hailsham?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the secret guard? Who ran it?
2. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
3. Upon first meeting Ruth, as described in chapter 4, what do Ruth and Kathy do together?
4. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
5. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
6. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
7. Where does Ruth tell everyone she got a pencil case she shows off in chapter 5? Where does Kathy suspect she really got the case?
8. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
9. How does Kathy think Madame feels about the students at Hailsham? What does she do about it?
10. What change in attitude does Kathy remember noticing in Tommy during their days at Hailsham?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)