|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls Tommy an idiot in chapter 1 for not seeing that the boys are going to ignore him while picking players for the sports team?
2. Who makes fun of Tommy's expressions as he warms up on the sports field with the other boys in chapter 1?
3. Who was often blamed, as mentioned in chapter 11, for all the pornographic magazines discovered at the Cottages?
(a) The caretaker.
(b) The owner's son.
(c) A boy named Steve.
(d) Ruby and Tommy.
4. What work of art did Tommy create as a joke that began his torment from other students, as described in chapter 2?
(a) A palace.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A cathedral.
(d) A lion.
5. What is the woods?
(a) A wooded area around Hailsham.
(b) A mural on the wall of Hailsham's cafeteria.
(c) A room where the students study horticulture.
(d) A hall at Hailsham that is decorated with trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the point of view of this novel?
2. Why did the students at Hailsham love the sports pavilion?
3. What things in Tommy's behavior does the narrator believe she missed as signs of something that has taken place in chapter 8?
4. What trip does the narrator foreshadow at the end of chapter 11?
5. Who decides to comfort Tommy at the end of chapter 1 during his temper tantrum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ruth tell everyone she got a pencil case she shows off in chapter 5? Where does Kathy suspect she really got the case?
2. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
3. In chapter 10, what does Ruth accuse Kathy of being jealous of?
4. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
5. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
6. As the students at Hailsham grow older, what becomes the main subjects of discussion?
7. What change in attitude does Kathy remember noticing in Tommy during their days at Hailsham?
8. What does Kathy do for a living? What privileges has she been given as a result of being good at her job?
9. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
10. Who tells the students that there is something about Madame and their artwork that they are not being told?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)