|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose departure from Hailsham shocks all the students in chapter 9?
(b) Miss Lucy.
(c) Miss Emily.
2. What is the narrator doing as she recalls these events from her past, as a student at Hailsham?
(a) Preparing a funeral.
(b) Visiting a donor.
(c) Talking to a friend.
3. How long does narrator say Miss Geraldine told her Madame has been coming to their school?
(a) For several years.
(b) Since it opened.
(c) For twenty years.
(d) Only a few months.
4. Who does the narrator continuously refer to as the veterans in chapter 10?
(a) Residents who acted as guardians to the newcomers.
(b) Residents who had been there a year or more.
(c) Residents who were of middle age.
(d) Residents who lived there permanently.
5. Who is Keffers?
(a) The caretaker at the Cottages.
(b) A teacher at the Cottages.
(c) The neighbor of the Cottages.
(d) The owner of the Cottages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book is the narrator reading in chapter 10 that Ruth rudely begins to describe the plot of to her?
2. What does the narrator tell the reader unzipping meant to the students at Hailsham in chapter 7?
3. At the end of chapter 4, what does Ruth accuse the narrator of doing all wrong?
4. Who is Miss Geraldine?
5. How long after the secret guard ended did Ruth appear in class with a pencil case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
2. What is stolen from Kathy's room in chapter 6?
3. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
4. Where do Tommy, Ruth, and Kathy go after leaving Hailsham when they are sixteen?
5. What change in attitude does Kathy remember noticing in Tommy during their days at Hailsham?
6. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
7. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
8. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
9. In chapter 8, what does Kathy see Miss Lucy doing that makes her think the woman is sinister?
10. In chapter 10, what does Ruth accuse Kathy of being jealous of?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)