|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the narrator and Tommy often meet in secrecy during their years at Hailsham?
(a) The pond.
(b) The woods.
(c) The art room.
(d) The sports pavilion.
2. What changes does the narrator note about her relationship with Ruby in chapter 11?
(a) Nothing has changed.
(b) They fight more, but they share confidences more.
(c) They are closer than ever.
(d) They fight constantly and hate one another.
3. How long after the secret guard ended did Ruth appear in class with a pencil case?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Five years.
4. Who suggests that Kathy might be Tommy's next girlfriend in chapter 9?
5. Why do Peter and Gordon say they want to go to America in chapter 7?
(a) To become actors.
(b) To become doctors.
(c) To be better educated.
(d) To become millionaires.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the secret guard?
2. What is the Lost Corner?
3. With whom has Tommy recently had a break up as described in chapter 8?
4. What joke do the children at Hailsham make when discussing the electrified fences that often circled the concentration camps during World War II?
5. Why does Ruth ask Kathy to ask Tommy to come back to her in chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What else in chapter 3 does Tommy feel Miss Lucy wanted to tell him about himself and was not able to do so?
2. How does Kathy think Madame feels about the students at Hailsham? What does she do about it?
3. Who tells the students that there is something about Madame and their artwork that they are not being told?
4. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
5. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
6. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
7. As the students at Hailsham grow older, what becomes the main subjects of discussion?
8. What was an important aspect of education at Hailsham?
9. What does Kathy imagine the song, "Never Let Me Go", is about?
10. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)