|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator continuously refer to as the veterans in chapter 10?
(a) Residents who lived there permanently.
(b) Residents who acted as guardians to the newcomers.
(c) Residents who had been there a year or more.
(d) Residents who were of middle age.
2. How long after the secret guard ended did Ruth appear in class with a pencil case?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Five years.
3. With whom has Tommy recently had a break up as described in chapter 8?
4. What are the ages of the Junior classes at Hailsham?
(a) Birth to twelve.
(b) Fifteen to seventeen.
(c) Seven through eleven.
(d) Five through eight.
5. Who asks Tommy to get back into his art in chapter 9?
(a) Miss Emily.
(b) Miss Lucy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the novel set?
2. Who is Keffers?
3. Why does the narrator suggest Ruby was correct in accusing her of making no friends outside of Hailsham alum?
4. Who is Miss Geraldine?
5. What book is the narrator reading in chapter 10 that Ruth rudely begins to describe the plot of to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
2. What is stolen from Kathy's room in chapter 6?
3. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
4. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
5. What else in chapter 3 does Tommy feel Miss Lucy wanted to tell him about himself and was not able to do so?
6. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
7. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
8. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
9. Where do Tommy, Ruth, and Kathy go after leaving Hailsham when they are sixteen?
10. How does Kathy think Madame feels about the students at Hailsham? What does she do about it?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)