|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator continuously refer to as the veterans in chapter 10?
(a) Residents who acted as guardians to the newcomers.
(b) Residents who had been there a year or more.
(c) Residents who were of middle age.
(d) Residents who lived there permanently.
2. Who does Ruth want to know if the narrator likes at the end of chapter 4?
(a) Miss Emily.
(b) Miss Geraldine.
(c) Miss Lucy.
(d) Miss Jody.
3. What are the ages of the Junior classes at Hailsham?
(a) Birth to twelve.
(b) Five through eight.
(c) Fifteen to seventeen.
(d) Seven through eleven.
4. When does the narrator hope she might be able to have more time to listen to her favorite music tape?
(a) When she stops being a carer.
(b) When she leave college.
(c) When she settles down to have a family.
(d) When she retires from her bookkeeping job.
5. Who makes fun of Tommy's expressions as he warms up on the sports field with the other boys in chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Moira B?
2. How long does narrator say Miss Geraldine told her Madame has been coming to their school?
3. Whose departure from Hailsham shocks all the students in chapter 9?
4. What trip does the narrator foreshadow at the end of chapter 11?
5. Where did the donor in the narrator's third year grow up, causing her to recall her own childhood at Hailsham?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kathy think Madame feels about the students at Hailsham? What does she do about it?
2. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
3. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
4. What change in attitude does Kathy remember noticing in Tommy during their days at Hailsham?
5. Upon first meeting Ruth, as described in chapter 4, what do Ruth and Kathy do together?
6. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
7. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
8. What does Kathy do for a living? What privileges has she been given as a result of being good at her job?
9. Where do Tommy, Ruth, and Kathy go after leaving Hailsham when they are sixteen?
10. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)