|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What work of art did Tommy create as a joke that began his torment from other students, as described in chapter 2?
(a) A palace.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A cathedral.
(d) A lion.
2. What is Songs After Dark?
(a) A choir book used at Hailsham.
(b) A piano book of popular songs.
(c) An album of French music.
(d) An album containing Kathy's favorite song.
3. What does the narrator tell the reader in chapter 2 was required of the students at Hailsham once a week?
(a) An IQ test.
(b) A medical exam.
(c) A drug screening.
(d) An art exam.
4. What happened in chapter 6 to the tape the narrator hid in her dorm room that contained her favorite song?
(a) It was broken.
(b) It was garbled in the tape machine.
(c) It was stolen.
(d) It was lost.
5. At the end of chapter 4, what does Ruth accuse the narrator of doing all wrong?
(a) Drawing pictures of horses.
(b) Putting their toys away.
(c) Drawing a hopscotch grid on the sidewalk.
(d) Putting her imaginary horses away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator continuously refer to as the veterans in chapter 10?
2. How long does narrator say Miss Geraldine told her Madame has been coming to their school?
3. Why do Peter and Gordon say they want to go to America in chapter 7?
4. What warning does Miss Emily offer the students in chapter 7 about having sex with people in the outside world?
5. How many others from their class does the narrator say came to the Cottages in chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
2. As the students at Hailsham grow older, what becomes the main subjects of discussion?
3. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
4. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
5. In chapter 10, what does Ruth accuse Kathy of being jealous of?
6. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
7. What else in chapter 3 does Tommy feel Miss Lucy wanted to tell him about himself and was not able to do so?
8. Where do Tommy, Ruth, and Kathy go after leaving Hailsham when they are sixteen?
9. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
10. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)