|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls Tommy an idiot in chapter 1 for not seeing that the boys are going to ignore him while picking players for the sports team?
2. What were the students at Hailsham allowed to wear on weekends, but not during the week?
(c) Their own clothing.
(d) Team jerseys.
3. Where is the novel set?
(d) New York.
4. What rumors abound at Hailsham about students who wander into the woods?
(a) They are forced to add to the mural on the wall.
(b) They are made to volunteer to cook lunch.
(c) They are murdered.
(d) They are forced to do extra homework.
5. What does the narrator tell the reader in chapter 2 was required of the students at Hailsham once a week?
(a) An art exam.
(b) A medical exam.
(c) A drug screening.
(d) An IQ test.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura teach the narrator in chapter 7 in order to discourage boys?
2. What was the Cottages before it became a halfway house for clones?
3. What would the narrator often hold while listening to her favorite song, Never Let Me Go?
4. In what room was the art displayed for Madame?
5. Why does Ruth ask Kathy to ask Tommy to come back to her in chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
2. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
3. What does Tommy tell Kathy that Miss Lucy told him that helped him to stop having so many fits of temper in chapter 3?
4. Where does Ruth tell everyone she got a pencil case she shows off in chapter 5? Where does Kathy suspect she really got the case?
5. As the students at Hailsham grow older, what becomes the main subjects of discussion?
6. In chapter 8, what does Kathy see Miss Lucy doing that makes her think the woman is sinister?
7. How does Kathy know Tommy and Ruth when she requests to become their carer?
8. What does Kathy do to prepare in chapter 8 for what she believes will be her first sexual experience?
9. What is stolen from Kathy's room in chapter 6?
10. What are the students at Hailsham told they will never be able to do in chapter 8?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)