|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the novel set?
(c) New York.
2. What is the secret guard?
(a) The security at Hailsham.
(b) A group of students who plan military careers.
(c) The owners of Hailsham.
(d) A group of girls at Hailsham under Ruth who protect Miss Geraldine.
3. Who was Moira B?
(a) A student in the narrator's art class.
(b) A girl who lived in the same dorm room with Ruth.
(c) Another girl kicked out of the secret guard.
(d) Another secret guard leader.
4. What things in Tommy's behavior does the narrator believe she missed as signs of something that has taken place in chapter 8?
(a) He begins fighting with the other boys.
(b) He becomes distracted and angry again.
(c) He begins dating many other girls.
(d) He breaks off their friendship.
5. What rumors abound at Hailsham about students who wander into the woods?
(a) They are murdered.
(b) They are forced to add to the mural on the wall.
(c) They are forced to do extra homework.
(d) They are made to volunteer to cook lunch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the term completion mean when applied to a donor?
2. Who is Judy Bridgewater?
3. Who is Miss Geraldine?
4. What does Ruth give the narrator in chapter 6 to replace her lost tape?
5. What are the ages of the Junior classes at Hailsham?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 16, Ruth becomes annoyed with Kathy and forces her to say that she thinks Tommy's drawings are childish, something Ruth later tells Tommy. What causes this change in Ruth's feelings toward Kathy and Tommy?
2. What often causes Tommy, as a child, to have a fit of temper?
3. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
4. In chapter 12, why do Rodney and Chrissie invite Ruth to go on a trip to Norfolk with them? Who else will be going?
5. In chapter 15, Tommy reveals to Kathy that he had been searching for what in Woolworth's?
6. What is one of the responsibilities of the caretaker at the Cottages, as Kathy describes in chapter 11?
7. How does Kathy think Madame feels about the students at Hailsham? What does she do about it?
8. Who sees Kathy dancing to her favorite song, "Never Let Me Go", in chapter 6?
9. In chapter 13, what excuse does Ruth give to Rodney and Chrissie for Tommy's refusal to agree that there is a deferment program for lovers?
10. In chapter 23, why does Tommy ask Kathy to stop being his carer?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)