|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what room was the art displayed for Madame?
(a) The art room.
(b) The lunch room.
(c) The billiards room.
(d) An empty dorm room.
2. Who is Keffers?
(a) The neighbor of the Cottages.
(b) The owner of the Cottages.
(c) A teacher at the Cottages.
(d) The caretaker at the Cottages.
3. Who suggests that Kathy might be Tommy's next girlfriend in chapter 9?
4. What excuse did Miss Emily give for the lack of tokens offered in exchange for the art Madame took away?
(a) That they should ask someone else.
(b) That they should be given the tokens, but she did not have extras.
(c) That they should just be happy to have a roof over their heads.
(d) That it was a great honor to have their art chosen.
5. What does Tommy tell the narrator that he thinks Miss Lucy feels the students are not being taught properly?
(a) About their work as carers.
(b) About their future careers.
(c) About donations.
(d) About art.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose departure from Hailsham shocks all the students in chapter 9?
2. What things in Tommy's behavior does the narrator believe she missed as signs of something that has taken place in chapter 8?
3. Who decides to comfort Tommy at the end of chapter 1 during his temper tantrum?
4. What is an exchange, as it is explained in chapter 2?
5. With whom has Tommy recently had a break up as described in chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is stolen from Kathy's room in chapter 6?
2. What does Kathy notice about the behavior of the older residents at the Cottages?
3. In chapter 11, who catches Kathy looking at pornographic material? How does an older Kathy recall this made her feel?
4. How does Kathy think Madame feels about the students at Hailsham? What does she do about it?
5. Why does Kathy, in chapter 11, sneak away to take a look at some of the pornographic material she has found in the caretaker's confiscated collection?
6. How does Miss Lucy react when she overhears the students at Hailsham discussing their futures in chapter 7?
7. In chapter 6, how does Kathy keep another girl from learning the truth about Ruth's pencil case?
8. What do Ruth and Kathy discuss about the art exchanges that often took place during their time at Hailsham?
9. What are the students normally given for artwork 'sold' at Hailsham? Are they given these by Madame?
10. What does Tommy reveal to Kathy in chapter 9 that Miss Lucy has told him, causing him to once again begin having fits of temper again as well as ending his relationship with Ruth?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)