|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 16, what do Kathy and Ruth make fun of at Tommy's expense?
(a) His romantic side.
(b) His appearance.
(c) His drawings.
(d) His behavior.
2. In chapter 15, why does Tommy think he has blown his future by refusing to participate in art at Hailsham?
(a) He has nothing they can use to determine if he should get a deferment.
(b) They have nothing to help choose when he should become a carer.
(c) They have nothing to determine if he should be a donor.
(d) They have nothing to earn money for his care.
3. At what job does Rodney and Chrissie report Ruth's possible worked at?
(a) An artisitc job.
(b) A janitor's job.
(c) A medical job.
(d) An office job.
4. What items does the narrator say in chapter 18 she likes to window shop for and compare to the ones she has at home?
(a) Desk lamps.
(b) Paper weights.
5. What is the one thing the narrator notices most about the drawings Tommy shows her in chapter 15?
(a) The originality.
(b) The childishness of them.
(c) The details.
(d) The oddness of them.
6. Who claims to not recall learning about deferrals at Hailsham in chapter 13?
7. What kind of drawings does the narrator find Tommy making in chapter 20?
(a) Dogs and cats.
(b) Pictures of Ruth.
(c) Portraits of donors.
(d) Imaginary animals.
8. In chapter 16, what does James B. carry back to a picnic at Hailsham?
(a) A potato salad.
(b) A cake.
(c) A watermelon.
(d) A plate of cookies.
9. In chapter 12, what subject does the narrator say Rodney talked about a lot?
10. What does the narrator notice about Madame's door in chapter 21 as they enter her house?
(a) It is loaded with locks.
(b) It is a steel security door.
(c) It has glass panels.
(d) It allows too much light inside.
11. In chapter 15, what kind of shops did Tommy and Kathy initially visit in the search for her Judy Bridgewater tape?
(a) Charity shops.
(b) Grocery stores.
(c) Second-hand shops.
(d) Drug stores.
12. In chapter 13, why does Ruby become irate when Kathy suggests they switch seats?
(a) Ruby does not like Kathy.
(b) Ruby does not want Kathy growing closer to Tommy.
(c) Ruby does not want Kathy to grow close to Rodney.
(d) Ruby does not like Rodney.
13. In chapter 15, why does Tommy tell Kathy he wanted to find the Judy Bridgewater tape for her?
(a) He saw the guardians take it from her room.
(b) He imagined it over and over when it first went missing.
(c) He stole it in the first place.
(d) He knew Ruth stole it in the first place.
14. At the end of chapter 15, how does Ruth go out of her way to show Tommy and Kathy she had known she had acted badly earlier?
(a) She includes them in her jokes with Chrissie and Rodney.
(b) She buys them dinner.
(c) She apologizes outright.
(d) She refuses to speak with Chrissie and Rodney.
15. In chapter 15, why does the narrator tell Tommy she often looks at models in magazines?
(a) To find someone to admire.
(b) To find her parents.
(c) To find lost friends.
(d) To find her possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 18, the narrator mentions the name of a student from Hailsham who had difficulty dealing with being a carer. Who does she mention?
2. In chapter 16, from whom does the narrator keep her distance in her final weeks there?
3. Who first suggests, in chapter 18, that Tommy join Kathy and Ruby in their visit to the marooned boat?
4. In chapter 15, what does Tommy suggest Madame does with the art from the Hailsham students?
5. Who tells Chrissie and Rodney that the students at Hailsham were told about deferrals in chapter 13?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)