|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Rodney and Chrissie believe the students from Hailsham might know about deferrals?
(a) They were more privledged.
(b) They are smarter.
(c) They are closer to the guardians.
(d) They have more access to the rule books.
2. Who first suggests, in chapter 18, that Tommy join Kathy and Ruby in their visit to the marooned boat?
3. How does the narrator say Ruth responded to the possibility of not taking the trip to Norfolk in chapter 13?
(a) She became angry.
(b) She was relieved.
(c) She was depressed.
(d) She was nonchalant.
4. In chapter 21, what do Tommy and Kathy try to convince Madame of?
(a) They are brilliant artists.
(b) They are in danger.
(c) They are in desperate need of money.
(d) They are in love.
5. What was Kingsfield before it became a donor center?
(a) A health spa.
(b) A public hospital.
(c) A private school.
(d) A holiday camp.
6. What did the students at Hailsham call Madame's collection of their art that she found amusing?
(a) The Gallery.
(b) The Artwork.
(c) The Group.
(d) The Collection.
7. In chapter 16, why does Ruth think that Tommy might not want to be romantic with Kathy?
(a) She is unattractive.
(b) She is not his type.
(c) She has been promiscuous.
(d) She does not like his art.
8. In chapter 15, why does Tommy think he has blown his future by refusing to participate in art at Hailsham?
(a) They have nothing to help choose when he should become a carer.
(b) They have nothing to earn money for his care.
(c) He has nothing they can use to determine if he should get a deferment.
(d) They have nothing to determine if he should be a donor.
9. What one sign of her health struggles does Ruth show during the walk to the boat in chapter 18?
(a) She is short of breath.
(b) She walks with a limp.
(c) She must stop often.
(d) She cannot walk at all.
10. In chapter 15, what do Kathy and Tommy talk about?
(b) Sneaking away from the Cottages.
(c) Hailsham's students.
(d) The deferrment.
11. For what reason has Tommy begun drawing again in chapter 20?
(a) To soothe his depression.
(b) To impress Kathy.
(c) To impress the doctors.
(d) To have something to show Madame when he asks for a deferrment.
12. In chapter 16, what does James B. carry back to a picnic at Hailsham?
(a) A watermelon.
(b) A potato salad.
(c) A plate of cookies.
(d) A cake.
13. In chapter 14, what causes Rodney's group to run away from the office?
(a) One of the women waves to them.
(b) A dog begins barking at them.
(c) A child stops and stares at them.
(d) A cop tells them to move on.
14. What lie has Ruth told Chrissie that Tommy nearly blows for her in chapter 13?
(a) That a Hailsham student became a barrister.
(b) That a Hailsham student became a doctor.
(c) That a Hailsham student became a bookkeeper.
(d) That a Hailsham student became a park keeper.
15. What does Madame reveal in chapter 21 that the artwork from Hailsham was supposed to show?
(a) The students' souls.
(b) The students' intelligence.
(c) The students' inner child.
(d) The students' creativitiy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator notice about Madame's door in chapter 21 as they enter her house?
2. In chapter 15, who is first to find the Judy Bridgewater tape?
3. In chapter 16, where does Ruth suggest she might one day like to take a trip to?
4. At what job does Rodney and Chrissie report Ruth's possible worked at?
5. What promise does the narrator make to Ruth after her second donation in chapter 19?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)