|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 15, what does Tommy tell Kathy that he heard Miss Emily said about the artwork Madame took from the school?
(a) It proved they were intelligent.
(b) It showed each student's future potential.
(c) It was to provide money for their futures.
(d) It revealed their souls.
2. What does Ruby ask the narrator forgiveness for in chapter 19?
(a) For stealing Harry from her.
(b) For lying about her feelings for Miss Geraldine.
(c) For placing a wedge between she and Tommy.
(d) For forcing her out of the secret society.
3. What does Ruth want to do after being run off from the office where her possible works in chapter 14?
(a) She wants to go back.
(b) She wants to go home.
(c) She wants to forget the whole episode.
(d) She wants to confront the woman.
4. In chapter 13, who has been placed in charge of the spending money for the Norfolk trip?
5. In chapter 15, why does Kathy delay showing Tommy she has found the Judy Bridgewater tape?
(a) She wants to find something better.
(b) She wants to allow him to find it.
(c) She wants to find a better copy.
(d) She wants to prolong the fun.
6. What job does Martin (Rodney and Chrissie's friend mentioned in chapter 13) have?
(d) Construction worker.
7. What is the one thing the narrator notices most about the drawings Tommy shows her in chapter 15?
(a) The details.
(b) The oddness of them.
(c) The originality.
(d) The childishness of them.
8. What does Madame reveal in chapter 21 that the artwork from Hailsham was supposed to show?
(a) The students' souls.
(b) The students' intelligence.
(c) The students' inner child.
(d) The students' creativitiy.
9. In chapter 21, what do Tommy and Kathy try to convince Madame of?
(a) They are in danger.
(b) They are brilliant artists.
(c) They are in desperate need of money.
(d) They are in love.
10. In chapter 16, what do Kathy and Ruth make fun of at Tommy's expense?
(a) His appearance.
(b) His drawings.
(c) His behavior.
(d) His romantic side.
11. What does the narrator think of in chapter 15 when Tommy describes his new art creations to her?
(a) They are a clear revealing of Tommy's feelings.
(b) They are very creative.
(c) They are symbolic of their existence.
(d) They are childish.
12. In chapter 13, why does Ruby become irate when Kathy suggests they switch seats?
(a) Ruby does not want Kathy to grow close to Rodney.
(b) Ruby does not like Rodney.
(c) Ruby does not like Kathy.
(d) Ruby does not want Kathy growing closer to Tommy.
13. In chapter 16, what route does Kathy say was out of bounds at Hailsham?
(a) The path along the guardian's private residences.
(b) The path beside the classroom windows.
(c) The path through the rhubarb patch.
(d) The path along side the woods.
14. In chapter 15, why does Tommy tell Kathy he wanted to find the Judy Bridgewater tape for her?
(a) He imagined it over and over when it first went missing.
(b) He stole it in the first place.
(c) He knew Ruth stole it in the first place.
(d) He saw the guardians take it from her room.
15. What one sign of her health struggles does Ruth show during the walk to the boat in chapter 18?
(a) She walks with a limp.
(b) She must stop often.
(c) She cannot walk at all.
(d) She is short of breath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are dream futures, as the narrator describes in chapter 12?
2. In chapter 15, why does Tommy think he has blown his future by refusing to participate in art at Hailsham?
3. In chapter 15, who is first to find the Judy Bridgewater tape?
4. What promise does the narrator make to Ruth after her second donation in chapter 19?
5. In chapter 15, what do Kathy and Tommy talk about?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)