|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 18, the narrator mentions the name of a student from Hailsham who had difficulty dealing with being a carer. Who does she mention?
2. In the beginning of chapter 18, the narrator tells the reader what is one of the most difficult parts of working as a carer?
(a) Losing a donor to cancer.
(b) Losing a donor early in the donation cycle.
(c) Losing a donor to suicide.
(d) Losing a donor after the fifth donation.
3. In chapter 15, why does the narrator tell Tommy she often looks at models in magazines?
(a) To find someone to admire.
(b) To find her parents.
(c) To find lost friends.
(d) To find her possible.
4. In chapter 21, what do Tommy and Kathy try to convince Madame of?
(a) They are brilliant artists.
(b) They are in danger.
(c) They are in desperate need of money.
(d) They are in love.
5. What is the Goosehouse?
(a) A building for storing grain.
(b) A barn at the Cottages with a leaky roof.
(c) An outhouse at the Cottages.
(d) A barn filled with geese.
6. Where is the recovery center where Ruth is living during her donations?
7. What kind of drawings does the narrator find Tommy making in chapter 20?
(a) Portraits of donors.
(b) Pictures of Ruth.
(c) Imaginary animals.
(d) Dogs and cats.
8. What does Madame keep repeating as Tommy and Kathy speak to her in chapter 21?
(a) 'I don't understand.'
(b) 'I go too far?'
(c) 'Do you understand?'
(d) 'Why me?'
9. What does Madame reveal in chapter 21 that the artwork from Hailsham was supposed to show?
(a) The students' creativitiy.
(b) The students' souls.
(c) The students' intelligence.
(d) The students' inner child.
10. In chapter 16, what does James B. carry back to a picnic at Hailsham?
(a) A potato salad.
(b) A plate of cookies.
(c) A cake.
(d) A watermelon.
11. In chapter 16, what do Kathy and Ruth make fun of at Tommy's expense?
(a) His appearance.
(b) His romantic side.
(c) His behavior.
(d) His drawings.
12. After which of Tommy's donations did Kathy become his carer in chapter 20?
13. What concern has Tommy admitted to the narrator he has for the creatures in his drawings?
(a) How they will be kept safe.
(b) How they can reach and fetch things.
(c) How they will keep warm.
(d) How they might catch food.
14. What one sign of her health struggles does Ruth show during the walk to the boat in chapter 18?
(a) She is short of breath.
(b) She walks with a limp.
(c) She cannot walk at all.
(d) She must stop often.
15. Who tells Chrissie and Rodney that the students at Hailsham were told about deferrals in chapter 13?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing the narrator notices most about the drawings Tommy shows her in chapter 15?
2. What does the narrator notice about Madame's door in chapter 21 as they enter her house?
3. What does Ruby ask the narrator forgiveness for in chapter 19?
4. What items does the narrator say in chapter 18 she likes to window shop for and compare to the ones she has at home?
5. In chapter 16, who were Kathy and Ruth discussing when Ruth finds the Judy Bridgewater tape?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)