|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 12, what subject does the narrator say Rodney talked about a lot?
2. In chapter 16, who was the first of the Hailsham students to begin their carer training?
3. In chapter 15, what does Tommy tell Kathy that he heard Miss Emily said about the artwork Madame took from the school?
(a) It showed each student's future potential.
(b) It revealed their souls.
(c) It proved they were intelligent.
(d) It was to provide money for their futures.
4. In chapter 13, who has been placed in charge of the spending money for the Norfolk trip?
5. Who suggests in chapter 18 that the narrator become Ruth's carer?
6. How does the narrator say Ruth responded to the possibility of not taking the trip to Norfolk in chapter 13?
(a) She was depressed.
(b) She was relieved.
(c) She became angry.
(d) She was nonchalant.
7. In chapter 16, why does the narrator feel she must apologize to Ruth?
(a) She wants to use Ruth to get close to Tommy.
(b) She is socially desperate for Ruth's friendship.
(c) She feels guilty.
(d) She wants to make peace.
8. In chapter 14, what causes Rodney's group to run away from the office?
(a) A dog begins barking at them.
(b) One of the women waves to them.
(c) A cop tells them to move on.
(d) A child stops and stares at them.
9. In chapter 18, the narrator mentions the name of a student from Hailsham who had difficulty dealing with being a carer. Who does she mention?
10. What does Madame reveal in chapter 21 that the artwork from Hailsham was supposed to show?
(a) The students' souls.
(b) The students' intelligence.
(c) The students' inner child.
(d) The students' creativitiy.
11. In chapter 14, why does Chrissie say she and Rodney like to buy birthday cards in bulk?
(a) They like the art on them.
(b) They are a cheap alternative to construction paper.
(c) They are cheap and are always on hand.
(d) They like to use them as postcards.
12. In chapter 15, why does the narrator tell Tommy she often looks at models in magazines?
(a) To find lost friends.
(b) To find someone to admire.
(c) To find her parents.
(d) To find her possible.
13. What one sign of her health struggles does Ruth show during the walk to the boat in chapter 18?
(a) She cannot walk at all.
(b) She is short of breath.
(c) She walks with a limp.
(d) She must stop often.
14. In chapter 21, what picture does Tommy notice on Madame's wall?
(a) A picture of the Cottages.
(b) A picture of Ruth and Laura.
(c) A picture of Hailsham.
(d) A picture of Miss Emily.
15. What does the narrator notice about Madame's door in chapter 21 as they enter her house?
(a) It allows too much light inside.
(b) It has glass panels.
(c) It is a steel security door.
(d) It is loaded with locks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of chapter 18, the narrator tells the reader what is one of the most difficult parts of working as a carer?
2. What are dream futures, as the narrator describes in chapter 12?
3. In chapter 14, what are the office workers doing when Rodney points out Ruth's possible?
4. In chapter 16, what does James B. carry back to a picnic at Hailsham?
5. Why do Rodney and Chrissie believe the students from Hailsham might know about deferrals?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)