|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the secret guard?
(a) A group of girls at Hailsham under Ruth who protect Miss Geraldine.
(b) A group of students who plan military careers.
(c) The owners of Hailsham.
(d) The security at Hailsham.
2. Who is Miss Geraldine?
(a) A carer in Kathy's clinic.
(b) A guardian at Hailsham who is everyone's favorite.
(c) A teacher at the Cottages.
(d) A donor at the clinic where Kathy works.
3. In chapter 11, what does the narrator define courses as?
(a) Training to be a nurse.
(b) Training to be a donor.
(c) Training to be a carer.
(d) Training to be a vet.
4. What does the term completion mean when applied to a donor?
(a) He has died.
(b) He has too many illnesses to donate.
(c) He has given all his organs and placed in a nursing home.
(d) He has gotten too old to donate.
5. What is Bramble, as described in chapter 4?
(a) An imaginary cow.
(b) A dog.
(c) An imaginary horse.
(d) A donkey.
6. What are the ages of the Junior classes at Hailsham?
(a) Fifteen to seventeen.
(b) Five through eight.
(c) Birth to twelve.
(d) Seven through eleven.
7. What vice is strongly discouraged at Hailsham?
(d) Premarital sex.
8. What does the narrator describe as a piece of art she bought at an Exchange in chapter 8?
(a) A calendar.
(b) A paper mache doll.
(c) A collage of animal pictures.
(d) A small elephant sculpture.
9. What is a guardian?
(a) The teachers and administrators at Hailsham.
(b) The people who govern the clones.
(c) The carers' bosses.
(d) The head nurses in the donor facilities.
10. Why did the students at Hailsham love the sports pavilion?
(a) It was filled with good smells.
(b) It was where they held their favorite classes.
(c) It reminded them of cottages in storybooks.
(d) It represented their favorite activities.
11. What did Kathy see Miss Lucy doing in a quiet classroom at the beginning of chapter 8?
(a) Blacking out lines on unknown papers.
(b) Scribbling over students' homework.
(c) Encouraging Tommy to create more art.
(d) Creating a new type of art.
12. How does Kathy find herself on Ruth's good books at the end of part one?
(a) By stealing a pencil case from Miss Geraldine.
(b) By getting Ruth and Tommy back together.
(c) By stealing a forbidden tape of music.
(d) By getting Tommy to work his art again.
13. Why did the students feel Madame was different, odd?
(a) She never allowed the children to come near her.
(b) She interacted with the kids more than others.
(c) She enjoyed the art that others thought was poorly made.
(d) She avoided the guardians.
14. What are Sales?
(a) A store at Hailsham to reward students for good behavior.
(b) A student run market at Hailsham.
(c) A class that teaches economics at Hailsham.
(d) A merchant van that came to Hailsham once a month.
15. What does the narrator mentioned she often used for blankets in chapter 11?
(a) Old clothing.
(b) Wool cloth scraps.
(c) Blankets donated by rich widows.
(d) Old curtains and carpet peices.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where at Hailsham, as the narrator describes in chapter 2, was the best place to have a private talk?
2. Why does the narrator suggest Ruby was correct in accusing her of making no friends outside of Hailsham alum?
3. Why is the narrator reluctant to sit beside Tommy in chapter 3 when they meet at the pond?
4. Who first suggested that Madame was frightened of the students at Hailsham?
5. Who asks Tommy to get back into his art in chapter 9?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)