|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kathy find herself on Ruth's good books at the end of part one?
(a) By getting Tommy to work his art again.
(b) By stealing a forbidden tape of music.
(c) By stealing a pencil case from Miss Geraldine.
(d) By getting Ruth and Tommy back together.
2. What work of art did Tommy create as a joke that began his torment from other students, as described in chapter 2?
(a) An elephant.
(b) A lion.
(c) A cathedral.
(d) A palace.
3. What vice is strongly discouraged at Hailsham?
(a) Premarital sex.
4. What things in Tommy's behavior does the narrator believe she missed as signs of something that has taken place in chapter 8?
(a) He begins fighting with the other boys.
(b) He breaks off their friendship.
(c) He becomes distracted and angry again.
(d) He begins dating many other girls.
5. How many others from their class does the narrator say came to the Cottages in chapter 10?
6. What are Sales?
(a) A class that teaches economics at Hailsham.
(b) A merchant van that came to Hailsham once a month.
(c) A store at Hailsham to reward students for good behavior.
(d) A student run market at Hailsham.
7. Who admits to the students that she has indulged in the forbidden vice in chapter 6?
(a) Miss Emily.
(b) Miss Jody.
(c) Miss Lucy.
(d) Miss Geraldine.
8. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) First person.
(b) Third person.
(c) Limited omniscient.
(d) Second person.
9. In chapter 10, the narrator describes a fear of doing what once they arrived at the Cottages?
(a) Socializing with outsiders.
(b) Traveling outside of the immediate grounds.
(c) Trusting the guardians.
(d) Judging their own proper behaviors.
10. What are tokens?
(a) Rewards students are given for the artwork they supply to the exchanges.
(b) Toys for small children at Hailsham.
(c) Gifts for good grades at Hailsham.
(d) Coins used in video games.
11. What writing assignment were the Hailsham students supposed to be working on during their two years at the Cottages?
(a) A short story.
(b) A thesis.
(c) An essay.
(d) A novel.
12. Who does the narrator continuously refer to as the veterans in chapter 10?
(a) Residents who acted as guardians to the newcomers.
(b) Residents who were of middle age.
(c) Residents who had been there a year or more.
(d) Residents who lived there permanently.
13. What is the name of the narrating character?
(a) Mitchell F.
(b) Ruth S.
(c) Kathy H.
(d) Horace G.
14. Why was often terribly cold in the farmhouse at the Cottages, as mentioned in chapter 10?
(a) The house was impossible to heat due to its size.
(b) The caretaker rarely brought in enough heaters.
(c) The house was in poor repair.
(d) The weather made it impossible to keep up with the temperatures.
15. When does the narrator hope she might be able to have more time to listen to her favorite music tape?
(a) When she leave college.
(b) When she stops being a carer.
(c) When she retires from her bookkeeping job.
(d) When she settles down to have a family.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom has Tommy recently had a break up as described in chapter 8?
2. What excuse did Miss Emily give for the lack of tokens offered in exchange for the art Madame took away?
3. Who is Miss Geraldine?
4. What does the narrator reveal in chapter 10 her topic was for her writing assignment when she first arrived at the Cottages?
5. Who first suggested that Madame was frightened of the students at Hailsham?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)