|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the narrating character?
2. What book is the narrator reading in chapter 10 that Ruth rudely begins to describe the plot of to her?
(a) Daniel Deronda.
(b) Oliver Twist.
(c) A Tale of Two Cities.
(d) Great Expectations.
3. Who was often blamed, as mentioned in chapter 11, for all the pornographic magazines discovered at the Cottages?
(a) The caretaker.
(b) A boy named Steve.
(c) Ruby and Tommy.
(d) The owner's son.
4. Whose behavior does the narrator accuse Ruth of copying at the end of chapter 10?
(a) Harry and Cynthia.
(b) Charles and Diana.
(c) Rodney and Chrissie.
(d) Johnny and Laura.
5. Who is Miss Geraldine?
(a) A teacher at the Cottages.
(b) A donor at the clinic where Kathy works.
(c) A carer in Kathy's clinic.
(d) A guardian at Hailsham who is everyone's favorite.
6. In what room was the art displayed for Madame?
(a) The billiards room.
(b) The lunch room.
(c) An empty dorm room.
(d) The art room.
7. In chapter 10, the narrator describes a fear of doing what once they arrived at the Cottages?
(a) Socializing with outsiders.
(b) Traveling outside of the immediate grounds.
(c) Trusting the guardians.
(d) Judging their own proper behaviors.
8. What joke do the children at Hailsham make when discussing the electrified fences that often circled the concentration camps during World War II?
(a) That one could fry eggs quite easily.
(b) That one could suffer a large electric bill that way.
(c) That one could commit suicide easily.
(d) That one could easily commit murder.
9. Where did the narrator and Tommy often meet in secrecy during their years at Hailsham?
(a) The sports pavilion.
(b) The woods.
(c) The art room.
(d) The pond.
10. What happened in chapter 6 to the tape the narrator hid in her dorm room that contained her favorite song?
(a) It was stolen.
(b) It was garbled in the tape machine.
(c) It was lost.
(d) It was broken.
11. What warning does Miss Emily offer the students in chapter 7 about having sex with people in the outside world?
(a) That it could be fun.
(b) That it could keep them from having to make donations.
(c) That it was something they physically could not do.
(d) That it was more emotional for those who could have children.
12. Who asks Tommy to get back into his art in chapter 9?
(a) Miss Lucy.
(b) Miss Emily.
13. What did Kathy see Miss Lucy doing in a quiet classroom at the beginning of chapter 8?
(a) Encouraging Tommy to create more art.
(b) Creating a new type of art.
(c) Scribbling over students' homework.
(d) Blacking out lines on unknown papers.
14. What are tokens?
(a) Coins used in video games.
(b) Gifts for good grades at Hailsham.
(c) Rewards students are given for the artwork they supply to the exchanges.
(d) Toys for small children at Hailsham.
15. What difference did the narrator begin to note in Tommy during their Senior 2 year, as described in chapter 2?
(a) He stopped playing sports.
(b) He stopped losing his temper.
(c) He stopped going to classes.
(d) He stopped hanging out with his friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Miss Lucy?
2. What is Songs After Dark?
3. What does the term completion mean when applied to a donor?
4. How does Kathy find herself on Ruth's good books at the end of part one?
5. How old was the narrator when she first recalls making friends with Ruth?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)