|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the students feel Madame was different, odd?
(a) She avoided the guardians.
(b) She never allowed the children to come near her.
(c) She interacted with the kids more than others.
(d) She enjoyed the art that others thought was poorly made.
2. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) Limited omniscient.
(b) Second person.
(c) First person.
(d) Third person.
3. Who does Ruth want to know if the narrator likes at the end of chapter 4?
(a) Miss Lucy.
(b) Miss Jody.
(c) Miss Geraldine.
(d) Miss Emily.
4. Who was Moira B?
(a) Another secret guard leader.
(b) Another girl kicked out of the secret guard.
(c) A student in the narrator's art class.
(d) A girl who lived in the same dorm room with Ruth.
5. What does Miss Lucy tell the students in chapter 7 they are destined to do?
(a) Live to be very old.
(b) Donate their bodies to scientific experimentation.
(c) Donate their vital organs.
(d) Become doctors and lawyers.
6. What is an exchange, as it is explained in chapter 2?
(a) A program in which students would visit other schools in the area.
(b) A social hour at Hailsham where students were encouraged to socialize with students from other schools.
(c) An art exhibition where students both showed their own work and bought other's work.
(d) A program where students at Hailsham are encouraged to trade their favorite storybooks.
7. Who makes fun of Tommy's expressions as he warms up on the sports field with the other boys in chapter 1?
8. Who calls Tommy an idiot in chapter 1 for not seeing that the boys are going to ignore him while picking players for the sports team?
9. What were the students at Hailsham allowed to wear on weekends, but not during the week?
(a) Team jerseys.
(c) Their own clothing.
10. At the end of chapter 4, what does Ruth accuse the narrator of doing all wrong?
(a) Drawing pictures of horses.
(b) Drawing a hopscotch grid on the sidewalk.
(c) Putting their toys away.
(d) Putting her imaginary horses away.
11. What is the Lost Corner?
(a) A dark corner in Kathy's house.
(b) An abandoned broom closet at Hailsham.
(c) What Miss Emily calls Norfolk becasue of its location.
(d) The town where the Cottages is located.
12. What is the secret guard?
(a) The security at Hailsham.
(b) The owners of Hailsham.
(c) A group of students who plan military careers.
(d) A group of girls at Hailsham under Ruth who protect Miss Geraldine.
13. What does the term completion mean when applied to a donor?
(a) He has died.
(b) He has too many illnesses to donate.
(c) He has gotten too old to donate.
(d) He has given all his organs and placed in a nursing home.
14. When does the narrator hope she might be able to have more time to listen to her favorite music tape?
(a) When she leave college.
(b) When she stops being a carer.
(c) When she retires from her bookkeeping job.
(d) When she settles down to have a family.
15. With whom has Tommy recently had a break up as described in chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse did Miss Emily give for the lack of tokens offered in exchange for the art Madame took away?
2. Why did the narrator believe Ruth to be a good chess player?
3. What difference did the narrator begin to note in Tommy during their Senior 2 year, as described in chapter 2?
4. What does the narrator describe as a piece of art she bought at an Exchange in chapter 8?
5. What is a Walkman?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)