|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who plots to prove Madame's fear of the students at Hailsham?
2. What happened in chapter 6 to the tape the narrator hid in her dorm room that contained her favorite song?
(a) It was garbled in the tape machine.
(b) It was stolen.
(c) It was broken.
(d) It was lost.
3. In chapter 11, what does the narrator define courses as?
(a) Training to be a donor.
(b) Training to be a vet.
(c) Training to be a nurse.
(d) Training to be a carer.
4. Why does Ruth ask Kathy to ask Tommy to come back to her in chapter 9?
(a) Because Tommy and Kathy were always able to talk to one another.
(b) Because Kathy is the reason they broke up.
(c) Because Kathy is Tommy's best friend.
(d) Because Kathy has mind washing powers.
5. What is an exchange, as it is explained in chapter 2?
(a) A social hour at Hailsham where students were encouraged to socialize with students from other schools.
(b) An art exhibition where students both showed their own work and bought other's work.
(c) A program in which students would visit other schools in the area.
(d) A program where students at Hailsham are encouraged to trade their favorite storybooks.
6. Who is Judy Bridgewater?
(a) A singer.
(b) A carer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A teacher.
7. What is the Lost Corner?
(a) What Miss Emily calls Norfolk becasue of its location.
(b) A dark corner in Kathy's house.
(c) The town where the Cottages is located.
(d) An abandoned broom closet at Hailsham.
8. What is a guardian?
(a) The head nurses in the donor facilities.
(b) The teachers and administrators at Hailsham.
(c) The people who govern the clones.
(d) The carers' bosses.
9. Where is the novel set?
(b) New York.
10. What does Ruth give the narrator in chapter 6 to replace her lost tape?
(a) A new hand mirror.
(b) A baby doll.
(c) A new tape of ballroom dancing music.
(d) A few tokens.
11. What is the narrator doing as she recalls these events from her past, as a student at Hailsham?
(a) Talking to a friend.
(c) Preparing a funeral.
(d) Visiting a donor.
12. Why was the narrator kicked out of the secret guard?
(a) She gave away guard secrets.
(b) She allowed Miss Geraldine to be injured.
(c) She did not collect her evidence properly.
(d) She had a fight with Ruth.
13. What did Kathy see Miss Lucy doing in a quiet classroom at the beginning of chapter 8?
(a) Blacking out lines on unknown papers.
(b) Encouraging Tommy to create more art.
(c) Scribbling over students' homework.
(d) Creating a new type of art.
14. What joke do the children at Hailsham make when discussing the electrified fences that often circled the concentration camps during World War II?
(a) That one could easily commit murder.
(b) That one could commit suicide easily.
(c) That one could fry eggs quite easily.
(d) That one could suffer a large electric bill that way.
15. What are the ages of the Junior classes at Hailsham?
(a) Five through eight.
(b) Birth to twelve.
(c) Fifteen to seventeen.
(d) Seven through eleven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Tommy an idiot in chapter 1 for not seeing that the boys are going to ignore him while picking players for the sports team?
2. Where did the narrator and Tommy often meet in secrecy during their years at Hailsham?
3. Why is the narrator reluctant to sit beside Tommy in chapter 3 when they meet at the pond?
4. How long does narrator say Miss Geraldine told her Madame has been coming to their school?
5. Whose behavior does the narrator accuse Ruth of copying at the end of chapter 10?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)