|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator reveal in chapter 10 her topic was for her writing assignment when she first arrived at the Cottages?
(a) Women's rights.
(b) Clone rights.
(c) Modern American novels.
(d) Victorian novels.
2. Why do Peter and Gordon say they want to go to America in chapter 7?
(a) To become doctors.
(b) To become actors.
(c) To become millionaires.
(d) To be better educated.
3. Who makes fun of Tommy's expressions as he warms up on the sports field with the other boys in chapter 1?
4. Who decides to comfort Tommy at the end of chapter 1 during his temper tantrum?
5. What was the secret guards evidence against the conspirators?
(a) Pictures of strangers.
(b) Drawings of crime scenes.
(c) Witnessed conversations.
(d) Written confessions.
6. What excuse did Miss Emily give for the lack of tokens offered in exchange for the art Madame took away?
(a) That they should just be happy to have a roof over their heads.
(b) That they should ask someone else.
(c) That it was a great honor to have their art chosen.
(d) That they should be given the tokens, but she did not have extras.
7. What is Bramble, as described in chapter 4?
(a) A dog.
(b) An imaginary horse.
(c) A donkey.
(d) An imaginary cow.
8. Who asks Tommy to get back into his art in chapter 9?
(a) Miss Emily.
(b) Miss Lucy.
9. In chapter 11, what does the narrator define courses as?
(a) Training to be a nurse.
(b) Training to be a donor.
(c) Training to be a carer.
(d) Training to be a vet.
10. How long after the secret guard ended did Ruth appear in class with a pencil case?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Two years.
11. What changes does the narrator note about her relationship with Ruby in chapter 11?
(a) They are closer than ever.
(b) They fight constantly and hate one another.
(c) Nothing has changed.
(d) They fight more, but they share confidences more.
12. Why did the students feel Madame was different, odd?
(a) She avoided the guardians.
(b) She interacted with the kids more than others.
(c) She never allowed the children to come near her.
(d) She enjoyed the art that others thought was poorly made.
13. What book is the narrator reading in chapter 10 that Ruth rudely begins to describe the plot of to her?
(a) A Tale of Two Cities.
(b) Daniel Deronda.
(c) Oliver Twist.
(d) Great Expectations.
14. How does Kathy find herself on Ruth's good books at the end of part one?
(a) By getting Ruth and Tommy back together.
(b) By stealing a pencil case from Miss Geraldine.
(c) By stealing a forbidden tape of music.
(d) By getting Tommy to work his art again.
15. What rumors abound at Hailsham about students who wander into the woods?
(a) They are forced to add to the mural on the wall.
(b) They are murdered.
(c) They are made to volunteer to cook lunch.
(d) They are forced to do extra homework.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator reluctant to sit beside Tommy in chapter 3 when they meet at the pond?
2. What was the Cottages before it became a halfway house for clones?
3. How long does narrator say Miss Geraldine told her Madame has been coming to their school?
4. Whose behavior does the narrator accuse Ruth of copying at the end of chapter 10?
5. Whose departure from Hailsham shocks all the students in chapter 9?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)