|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the term completion mean when applied to a donor?
(a) He has given all his organs and placed in a nursing home.
(b) He has died.
(c) He has too many illnesses to donate.
(d) He has gotten too old to donate.
2. What difference did the narrator begin to note in Tommy during their Senior 2 year, as described in chapter 2?
(a) He stopped playing sports.
(b) He stopped going to classes.
(c) He stopped hanging out with his friends.
(d) He stopped losing his temper.
3. With whom has Tommy recently had a break up as described in chapter 8?
4. What warning does Miss Emily offer the students in chapter 7 about having sex with people in the outside world?
(a) That it was more emotional for those who could have children.
(b) That it could keep them from having to make donations.
(c) That it was something they physically could not do.
(d) That it could be fun.
5. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) First person.
(b) Limited omniscient.
(c) Second person.
(d) Third person.
6. What is Dave's stump?
(a) A tree stump where a boy named Dave often sat to read or write.
(b) A tree stump in the yard nicknamed Dave after the owner's son.
(c) A tree stump at where a boy named Dave often cut wood for the fireplaces.
(d) A tree stump where a boy named Dave is rumored to have died.
7. Why do Peter and Gordon say they want to go to America in chapter 7?
(a) To become doctors.
(b) To become millionaires.
(c) To be better educated.
(d) To become actors.
8. What rumors abound at Hailsham about students who wander into the woods?
(a) They are made to volunteer to cook lunch.
(b) They are forced to add to the mural on the wall.
(c) They are forced to do extra homework.
(d) They are murdered.
9. Who admits to the students that she has indulged in the forbidden vice in chapter 6?
(a) Miss Geraldine.
(b) Miss Jody.
(c) Miss Lucy.
(d) Miss Emily.
10. Who decides to comfort Tommy at the end of chapter 1 during his temper tantrum?
11. What is the name of the narrating character?
(a) Mitchell F.
(b) Ruth S.
(c) Horace G.
(d) Kathy H.
12. Why did the narrator believe Ruth to be a good chess player?
(a) Ruth often commented on chess games in progress.
(b) Ruth said she was.
(c) Ruth had a collection of books on the subject.
(d) Ruth often voiced a desire to play the game.
13. What is the woods?
(a) A mural on the wall of Hailsham's cafeteria.
(b) A hall at Hailsham that is decorated with trees.
(c) A room where the students study horticulture.
(d) A wooded area around Hailsham.
14. What does the narrator describe as a piece of art she bought at an Exchange in chapter 8?
(a) A small elephant sculpture.
(b) A calendar.
(c) A paper mache doll.
(d) A collage of animal pictures.
15. What is Songs After Dark?
(a) A piano book of popular songs.
(b) A choir book used at Hailsham.
(c) An album of French music.
(d) An album containing Kathy's favorite song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator tell the reader in chapter 2 was required of the students at Hailsham once a week?
2. What does the narrator tell the reader unzipping meant to the students at Hailsham in chapter 7?
3. Who is Miss Lucy?
4. What joke do the children at Hailsham make when discussing the electrified fences that often circled the concentration camps during World War II?
5. How many others from their class does the narrator say came to the Cottages in chapter 10?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)