|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator mentioned she often used for blankets in chapter 11?
(a) Old clothing.
(b) Blankets donated by rich widows.
(c) Wool cloth scraps.
(d) Old curtains and carpet peices.
2. Who is Keffers?
(a) The owner of the Cottages.
(b) A teacher at the Cottages.
(c) The caretaker at the Cottages.
(d) The neighbor of the Cottages.
3. Why does Ruth ask Kathy to ask Tommy to come back to her in chapter 9?
(a) Because Kathy is Tommy's best friend.
(b) Because Tommy and Kathy were always able to talk to one another.
(c) Because Kathy is the reason they broke up.
(d) Because Kathy has mind washing powers.
4. Why does the narrator suggest Ruby was correct in accusing her of making no friends outside of Hailsham alum?
(a) She knows now she should have tried harder to make friends.
(b) She criticized Ruby's friendships outside the Hailsham alum.
(c) She struggled to make friends with the veterans.
(d) She believes Ruby was only trying to help.
5. Who is Judy Bridgewater?
(a) A carer.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A singer.
6. What book is the narrator reading in chapter 10 that Ruth rudely begins to describe the plot of to her?
(a) Oliver Twist.
(b) Great Expectations.
(c) A Tale of Two Cities.
(d) Daniel Deronda.
7. What is a Walkman?
(a) A portable cassette player.
(b) An alarm clock.
(c) A radio.
(d) An early MP3 player.
8. What is an exchange, as it is explained in chapter 2?
(a) An art exhibition where students both showed their own work and bought other's work.
(b) A program where students at Hailsham are encouraged to trade their favorite storybooks.
(c) A social hour at Hailsham where students were encouraged to socialize with students from other schools.
(d) A program in which students would visit other schools in the area.
9. Who suggests that Kathy might be Tommy's next girlfriend in chapter 9?
10. What are the ages of the Junior classes at Hailsham?
(a) Fifteen to seventeen.
(b) Five through eight.
(c) Seven through eleven.
(d) Birth to twelve.
11. Why was the narrator kicked out of the secret guard?
(a) She allowed Miss Geraldine to be injured.
(b) She gave away guard secrets.
(c) She had a fight with Ruth.
(d) She did not collect her evidence properly.
12. What happened in chapter 6 to the tape the narrator hid in her dorm room that contained her favorite song?
(a) It was lost.
(b) It was garbled in the tape machine.
(c) It was broken.
(d) It was stolen.
13. How does Kathy find herself on Ruth's good books at the end of part one?
(a) By stealing a pencil case from Miss Geraldine.
(b) By stealing a forbidden tape of music.
(c) By getting Ruth and Tommy back together.
(d) By getting Tommy to work his art again.
14. What warning does Miss Emily offer the students in chapter 7 about having sex with people in the outside world?
(a) That it was more emotional for those who could have children.
(b) That it was something they physically could not do.
(c) That it could keep them from having to make donations.
(d) That it could be fun.
15. What is the secret guard?
(a) A group of students who plan military careers.
(b) A group of girls at Hailsham under Ruth who protect Miss Geraldine.
(c) The security at Hailsham.
(d) The owners of Hailsham.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Sales?
2. What does Ruth give the narrator in chapter 6 to replace her lost tape?
3. What vice is strongly discouraged at Hailsham?
4. In chapter 11, what does the narrator define courses as?
5. What is the point of view of this novel?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)