|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What difference did the narrator begin to note in Tommy during their Senior 2 year, as described in chapter 2?
(a) He stopped losing his temper.
(b) He stopped playing sports.
(c) He stopped going to classes.
(d) He stopped hanging out with his friends.
2. Who did the narrator once see giving a speech to an imaginary classroom, as described in chapter 4?
(a) Miss Emily.
(b) Miss Jody.
(c) Miss Geraldine.
(d) Miss Lucy.
3. Who calls Tommy an idiot in chapter 1 for not seeing that the boys are going to ignore him while picking players for the sports team?
4. Where at Hailsham, as the narrator describes in chapter 2, was the best place to have a private talk?
(a) The dorm bathrooms.
(b) The music room.
(c) The art room.
(d) The lunch queue.
5. What is an exchange, as it is explained in chapter 2?
(a) A program in which students would visit other schools in the area.
(b) A social hour at Hailsham where students were encouraged to socialize with students from other schools.
(c) A program where students at Hailsham are encouraged to trade their favorite storybooks.
(d) An art exhibition where students both showed their own work and bought other's work.
6. Who decides to comfort Tommy at the end of chapter 1 during his temper tantrum?
7. What does Ruth give the narrator in chapter 6 to replace her lost tape?
(a) A few tokens.
(b) A new tape of ballroom dancing music.
(c) A new hand mirror.
(d) A baby doll.
8. Why was often terribly cold in the farmhouse at the Cottages, as mentioned in chapter 10?
(a) The weather made it impossible to keep up with the temperatures.
(b) The house was in poor repair.
(c) The caretaker rarely brought in enough heaters.
(d) The house was impossible to heat due to its size.
9. What does the narrator tell the reader unzipping meant to the students at Hailsham in chapter 7?
(a) They could unzip their heads and reveal their intelligence.
(b) They could unzip their clothing and show off their internal organs.
(c) They could unzip their bodies and provide organs easily.
(d) They could unzip their spines and remove their skeletons.
10. Why is the narrator reluctant to sit beside Tommy in chapter 3 when they meet at the pond?
(a) She does not want to get her pants wet.
(b) She does not want to give Tommy the wrong impression.
(c) She does not want to let Tommy know how she feels about him.
(d) She does not want anyone to observe them and think they are up to something wrong.
11. Why does Ruth ask Kathy to ask Tommy to come back to her in chapter 9?
(a) Because Kathy is Tommy's best friend.
(b) Because Kathy has mind washing powers.
(c) Because Tommy and Kathy were always able to talk to one another.
(d) Because Kathy is the reason they broke up.
12. How long does narrator say Miss Geraldine told her Madame has been coming to their school?
(a) For several years.
(b) Only a few months.
(c) Since it opened.
(d) For twenty years.
13. With whom has Tommy recently had a break up as described in chapter 8?
14. What does the term completion mean when applied to a donor?
(a) He has gotten too old to donate.
(b) He has given all his organs and placed in a nursing home.
(c) He has died.
(d) He has too many illnesses to donate.
15. What warning does Miss Emily offer the students in chapter 7 about having sex with people in the outside world?
(a) That it was something they physically could not do.
(b) That it was more emotional for those who could have children.
(c) That it could keep them from having to make donations.
(d) That it could be fun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What things in Tommy's behavior does the narrator believe she missed as signs of something that has taken place in chapter 8?
2. Who is Judy Bridgewater?
3. Why does the narrator suggest Ruby was correct in accusing her of making no friends outside of Hailsham alum?
4. In chapter 10, the narrator describes a fear of doing what once they arrived at the Cottages?
5. Who makes fun of Tommy's expressions as he warms up on the sports field with the other boys in chapter 1?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)