|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the woods?
(a) A wooded area around Hailsham.
(b) A room where the students study horticulture.
(c) A hall at Hailsham that is decorated with trees.
(d) A mural on the wall of Hailsham's cafeteria.
2. At the end of chapter 4, what does Ruth accuse the narrator of doing all wrong?
(a) Putting her imaginary horses away.
(b) Putting their toys away.
(c) Drawing pictures of horses.
(d) Drawing a hopscotch grid on the sidewalk.
3. What is the name of the narrating character?
(a) Mitchell F.
(b) Kathy H.
(c) Horace G.
(d) Ruth S.
4. What warning does Miss Emily offer the students in chapter 7 about having sex with people in the outside world?
(a) That it could keep them from having to make donations.
(b) That it was more emotional for those who could have children.
(c) That it was something they physically could not do.
(d) That it could be fun.
5. In whose room does Tommy admit in chapter 11 that he saw the narrator looking at similar magazines as the ones he finds her looking at in the boiler room in chapter 11?
6. Who was Moira B?
(a) A student in the narrator's art class.
(b) Another secret guard leader.
(c) A girl who lived in the same dorm room with Ruth.
(d) Another girl kicked out of the secret guard.
7. With whom has Tommy recently had a break up as described in chapter 8?
8. What would the narrator often hold while listening to her favorite song, Never Let Me Go?
(a) A hairbrush.
(b) A pillow.
(c) A baby doll.
(d) A curling iron.
9. What does Tommy tell the narrator that he thinks Miss Lucy feels the students are not being taught properly?
(a) About their future careers.
(b) About donations.
(c) About their work as carers.
(d) About art.
10. What rumors abound at Hailsham about students who wander into the woods?
(a) They are made to volunteer to cook lunch.
(b) They are forced to do extra homework.
(c) They are forced to add to the mural on the wall.
(d) They are murdered.
11. Who is Judy Bridgewater?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A singer.
(c) A carer.
(d) A doctor.
12. What does the narrator mentioned she often used for blankets in chapter 11?
(a) Wool cloth scraps.
(b) Old curtains and carpet peices.
(c) Blankets donated by rich widows.
(d) Old clothing.
13. What trip does the narrator foreshadow at the end of chapter 11?
(a) A trip to Norfolk.
(b) A trip to London.
(c) A trip to Hailsham.
(d) A trip to Dover.
14. Why did the narrator believe Ruth to be a good chess player?
(a) Ruth often voiced a desire to play the game.
(b) Ruth had a collection of books on the subject.
(c) Ruth said she was.
(d) Ruth often commented on chess games in progress.
15. Who is Miss Geraldine?
(a) A donor at the clinic where Kathy works.
(b) A teacher at the Cottages.
(c) A guardian at Hailsham who is everyone's favorite.
(d) A carer in Kathy's clinic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the students at Hailsham love the sports pavilion?
2. Who decides to comfort Tommy at the end of chapter 1 during his temper tantrum?
3. What book is the narrator reading in chapter 10 that Ruth rudely begins to describe the plot of to her?
4. Who was often blamed, as mentioned in chapter 11, for all the pornographic magazines discovered at the Cottages?
5. Who asks Tommy to get back into his art in chapter 9?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)