|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the secret guard?
(a) A group of students who plan military careers.
(b) The security at Hailsham.
(c) A group of girls at Hailsham under Ruth who protect Miss Geraldine.
(d) The owners of Hailsham.
2. Why is the narrator reluctant to sit beside Tommy in chapter 3 when they meet at the pond?
(a) She does not want to get her pants wet.
(b) She does not want to let Tommy know how she feels about him.
(c) She does not want to give Tommy the wrong impression.
(d) She does not want anyone to observe them and think they are up to something wrong.
3. Who is Keffers?
(a) A teacher at the Cottages.
(b) The caretaker at the Cottages.
(c) The neighbor of the Cottages.
(d) The owner of the Cottages.
4. What does the narrator reveal in chapter 10 her topic was for her writing assignment when she first arrived at the Cottages?
(a) Modern American novels.
(b) Victorian novels.
(c) Women's rights.
(d) Clone rights.
5. What does the narrator tell the reader in chapter 2 was required of the students at Hailsham once a week?
(a) A medical exam.
(b) A drug screening.
(c) An IQ test.
(d) An art exam.
6. What joke do the children at Hailsham make when discussing the electrified fences that often circled the concentration camps during World War II?
(a) That one could fry eggs quite easily.
(b) That one could suffer a large electric bill that way.
(c) That one could easily commit murder.
(d) That one could commit suicide easily.
7. Why did the students at Hailsham love the sports pavilion?
(a) It reminded them of cottages in storybooks.
(b) It was filled with good smells.
(c) It represented their favorite activities.
(d) It was where they held their favorite classes.
8. How long does narrator say Miss Geraldine told her Madame has been coming to their school?
(a) Since it opened.
(b) For twenty years.
(c) For several years.
(d) Only a few months.
9. How long does the narrator recall the secret guard lasting?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) The lifetime of Hailsham.
(c) Nine months to a year.
(d) Three to five years.
10. At the end of chapter 4, what does Ruth accuse the narrator of doing all wrong?
(a) Putting their toys away.
(b) Drawing pictures of horses.
(c) Drawing a hopscotch grid on the sidewalk.
(d) Putting her imaginary horses away.
11. Why did the students feel Madame was different, odd?
(a) She avoided the guardians.
(b) She enjoyed the art that others thought was poorly made.
(c) She never allowed the children to come near her.
(d) She interacted with the kids more than others.
12. Whose departure from Hailsham shocks all the students in chapter 9?
(c) Miss Lucy.
(d) Miss Emily.
13. What does the narrator mentioned she often used for blankets in chapter 11?
(a) Blankets donated by rich widows.
(b) Old clothing.
(c) Wool cloth scraps.
(d) Old curtains and carpet peices.
14. When does the narrator hope she might be able to have more time to listen to her favorite music tape?
(a) When she settles down to have a family.
(b) When she leave college.
(c) When she stops being a carer.
(d) When she retires from her bookkeeping job.
15. In chapter 10, the narrator describes a fear of doing what once they arrived at the Cottages?
(a) Judging their own proper behaviors.
(b) Socializing with outsiders.
(c) Trusting the guardians.
(d) Traveling outside of the immediate grounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bramble, as described in chapter 4?
2. What is a guardian?
3. What writing assignment were the Hailsham students supposed to be working on during their two years at the Cottages?
4. Why was the narrator kicked out of the secret guard?
5. What book is the narrator reading in chapter 10 that Ruth rudely begins to describe the plot of to her?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)