|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ruth ask Kathy to ask Tommy to come back to her in chapter 9?
(a) Because Kathy is the reason they broke up.
(b) Because Kathy has mind washing powers.
(c) Because Kathy is Tommy's best friend.
(d) Because Tommy and Kathy were always able to talk to one another.
2. Who was often blamed, as mentioned in chapter 11, for all the pornographic magazines discovered at the Cottages?
(a) The caretaker.
(b) The owner's son.
(c) A boy named Steve.
(d) Ruby and Tommy.
3. What was the secret guards evidence against the conspirators?
(a) Pictures of strangers.
(b) Drawings of crime scenes.
(c) Written confessions.
(d) Witnessed conversations.
4. Who is Keffers?
(a) The owner of the Cottages.
(b) The neighbor of the Cottages.
(c) The caretaker at the Cottages.
(d) A teacher at the Cottages.
5. Why do Peter and Gordon say they want to go to America in chapter 7?
(a) To become millionaires.
(b) To become doctors.
(c) To become actors.
(d) To be better educated.
6. Where did the narrator and Tommy often meet in secrecy during their years at Hailsham?
(a) The sports pavilion.
(b) The art room.
(c) The pond.
(d) The woods.
7. Why did the students at Hailsham love the sports pavilion?
(a) It reminded them of cottages in storybooks.
(b) It was filled with good smells.
(c) It was where they held their favorite classes.
(d) It represented their favorite activities.
8. What is Bramble, as described in chapter 4?
(a) A donkey.
(b) An imaginary horse.
(c) An imaginary cow.
(d) A dog.
9. What difference did the narrator begin to note in Tommy during their Senior 2 year, as described in chapter 2?
(a) He stopped playing sports.
(b) He stopped going to classes.
(c) He stopped losing his temper.
(d) He stopped hanging out with his friends.
10. Who calls Tommy an idiot in chapter 1 for not seeing that the boys are going to ignore him while picking players for the sports team?
11. What are tokens?
(a) Gifts for good grades at Hailsham.
(b) Coins used in video games.
(c) Rewards students are given for the artwork they supply to the exchanges.
(d) Toys for small children at Hailsham.
12. What does Ruth give the narrator in chapter 6 to replace her lost tape?
(a) A baby doll.
(b) A few tokens.
(c) A new hand mirror.
(d) A new tape of ballroom dancing music.
13. Who did the narrator once see giving a speech to an imaginary classroom, as described in chapter 4?
(a) Miss Jody.
(b) Miss Geraldine.
(c) Miss Emily.
(d) Miss Lucy.
14. What changes does the narrator note about her relationship with Ruby in chapter 11?
(a) They fight constantly and hate one another.
(b) They fight more, but they share confidences more.
(c) They are closer than ever.
(d) Nothing has changed.
15. Why did the narrator believe Ruth to be a good chess player?
(a) Ruth often commented on chess games in progress.
(b) Ruth said she was.
(c) Ruth had a collection of books on the subject.
(d) Ruth often voiced a desire to play the game.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tommy tell the narrator that he thinks Miss Lucy feels the students are not being taught properly?
2. Where did the donor in the narrator's third year grow up, causing her to recall her own childhood at Hailsham?
3. What warning does Miss Emily offer the students in chapter 7 about having sex with people in the outside world?
4. Who was Moira B?
5. What vice is strongly discouraged at Hailsham?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)