|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Miss Geraldine?
(a) A guardian at Hailsham who is everyone's favorite.
(b) A donor at the clinic where Kathy works.
(c) A teacher at the Cottages.
(d) A carer in Kathy's clinic.
2. Where is the novel set?
(b) New York.
3. How long does narrator say Miss Geraldine told her Madame has been coming to their school?
(a) Since it opened.
(b) For twenty years.
(c) Only a few months.
(d) For several years.
4. What does the narrator tell the reader unzipping meant to the students at Hailsham in chapter 7?
(a) They could unzip their heads and reveal their intelligence.
(b) They could unzip their bodies and provide organs easily.
(c) They could unzip their spines and remove their skeletons.
(d) They could unzip their clothing and show off their internal organs.
5. Why was often terribly cold in the farmhouse at the Cottages, as mentioned in chapter 10?
(a) The house was impossible to heat due to its size.
(b) The caretaker rarely brought in enough heaters.
(c) The weather made it impossible to keep up with the temperatures.
(d) The house was in poor repair.
6. How old was the narrator when she first recalls making friends with Ruth?
(a) Seven going on eight.
(c) Six going on seven.
7. Who admits to the students that she has indulged in the forbidden vice in chapter 6?
(a) Miss Jody.
(b) Miss Lucy.
(c) Miss Geraldine.
(d) Miss Emily.
8. Whose departure from Hailsham shocks all the students in chapter 9?
(c) Miss Lucy.
(d) Miss Emily.
9. Who first suggested that Madame was frightened of the students at Hailsham?
10. Why was the narrator kicked out of the secret guard?
(a) She did not collect her evidence properly.
(b) She had a fight with Ruth.
(c) She allowed Miss Geraldine to be injured.
(d) She gave away guard secrets.
11. What did Kathy see Miss Lucy doing in a quiet classroom at the beginning of chapter 8?
(a) Blacking out lines on unknown papers.
(b) Encouraging Tommy to create more art.
(c) Creating a new type of art.
(d) Scribbling over students' homework.
12. What are Sales?
(a) A store at Hailsham to reward students for good behavior.
(b) A student run market at Hailsham.
(c) A class that teaches economics at Hailsham.
(d) A merchant van that came to Hailsham once a month.
13. What does Ruth give the narrator in chapter 6 to replace her lost tape?
(a) A new hand mirror.
(b) A few tokens.
(c) A new tape of ballroom dancing music.
(d) A baby doll.
14. What were the students at Hailsham allowed to wear on weekends, but not during the week?
(a) Team jerseys.
(b) Their own clothing.
15. What was the Cottages before it became a halfway house for clones?
(a) A resort.
(b) A farm.
(c) A private school.
(d) A health spa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Walkman?
2. Who suggests that Kathy might be Tommy's next girlfriend in chapter 9?
3. What was the secret guards evidence against the conspirators?
4. Why do Peter and Gordon say they want to go to America in chapter 7?
5. Where did the donor in the narrator's third year grow up, causing her to recall her own childhood at Hailsham?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)