|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10-11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dave's stump?
(a) A tree stump at where a boy named Dave often cut wood for the fireplaces.
(b) A tree stump in the yard nicknamed Dave after the owner's son.
(c) A tree stump where a boy named Dave often sat to read or write.
(d) A tree stump where a boy named Dave is rumored to have died.
2. What does the narrator describe as a piece of art she bought at an Exchange in chapter 8?
(a) A paper mache doll.
(b) A collage of animal pictures.
(c) A small elephant sculpture.
(d) A calendar.
3. What excuse did Miss Emily give for the lack of tokens offered in exchange for the art Madame took away?
(a) That they should ask someone else.
(b) That they should just be happy to have a roof over their heads.
(c) That they should be given the tokens, but she did not have extras.
(d) That it was a great honor to have their art chosen.
4. What is the name of the narrating character?
(a) Horace G.
(b) Mitchell F.
(c) Kathy H.
(d) Ruth S.
5. What is an exchange, as it is explained in chapter 2?
(a) A program where students at Hailsham are encouraged to trade their favorite storybooks.
(b) An art exhibition where students both showed their own work and bought other's work.
(c) A social hour at Hailsham where students were encouraged to socialize with students from other schools.
(d) A program in which students would visit other schools in the area.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many others from their class does the narrator say came to the Cottages in chapter 10?
2. What is the secret guard?
3. How old was the narrator when she first recalls making friends with Ruth?
4. What writing assignment were the Hailsham students supposed to be working on during their two years at the Cottages?
5. What does the term completion mean when applied to a donor?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)