|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Arn start to suspect that Koong is Sombo's new favorite boy?
(a) Sombo now gives Koong extra food.
(b) Sombo now speaks roughly to Arn, while speaking sweetly to Koong.
(c) Sombo now sleeps alongside Koong.
(d) Sombo tells Arn not to be jealous, but it just makes Arn sure his suspicions are correct.
2. When Arn becomes delirious with hunger, he sees the monkey family and then his own family and they chant words to him over and over. What are those words he hears them chant?
(a) "See you again."
(b) "Why didn't you save us."
(c) "Come for us soon."
(d) "Peace be with you."
3. Arn hallucinates, seeing a rabbit as large as he is and this illusion seems to lead the way to Thailand. What color is the rabbit he hallucinates?
4. What happens the first time Arn plays volleyball?
(a) He sprains his ankle diving for the ball.
(b) He runs into another kid, bloodying both of their noses.
(c) He tucks into a crouch when the ball falls from the sky toward him.
(d) He spikes the ball over the net and scores a point for his team.
5. What does the hospital look like where Arn arrives when he gets off the bus?
(a) It is a big stucco building with lots of windows.
(b) It is a mud hut with a thatched roof.
(c) It is a brick building that looks like a prison.
(d) It is a tent with open sides.
6. Thinking he hears gunfire one night at the hospital, Arn awakes with a start and reaches for his gun. What is actually making the sound that he mistakes for gunfire?
(a) Kids whispering across the room.
(b) Starlings in the tree.
(c) Chickens in the yard.
(d) Rain on the roof.
7. Why does Sombo leave Arn and the other boys to fend for themselves?
(a) He leaves because he is mad at Arn for Arn's reaction after he murders the villagers.
(b) He leaves because Koong is sick with a fever and he wants to take him to a Thai hospital.
(c) He leaves because he is fed up with taking care of so many boys.
(d) He leaves because he knows that if there is one fewer mouth to feed, the boys will be more likely to survive.
8. Why does Arn decide he wants to become good at volleyball once he sees this is the most popular game at the Children's Center?
(a) Because he sees that whoever is good at the game becomes important in the eyes of the other kids.
(b) Because he used to play it back in his home village and he feels nostalgic about it.
(c) Because he wants to spend his time doing something productive so that he can forget about missing his family.
(d) Because he thinks he'll be good at it since during battles he's had to watch the sky for flying artillery.
9. Besides the fact that Arn was a child soldier and Sojeat and Ravi were not, what other main difference is there between his background and theirs?
(a) Sojeat's and Ravi's families had enough money to send them to school.
(b) Arn's parents both raised him until the Khmer Rouge came, while the parents of Sojeat and Ravi were divorced before then.
(c) Sojeat and Ravi used to look up the Khmer Rouge soldiers, while Arn did everything he could to rebel against them.
(d) Arn's family was religious, while the families of Sojeat and Ravi were not.
10. After Arns separates from the other boys, he wants to get to Thailand. What is the only landmark he knows about that will signal him he's about to get to Thailand?
(a) He knows he will have to wade through a swamp.
(b) He knows he will have to climb the tallest mountain of three peaks on the horizon.
(c) He knows he will have to cross a river.
(d) He knows he will have to cross a series of three bridges.
11. What creatures does the author depict fleeing from the sounds of war in order to underscore the theme of the unnatural?
12. Arn says there are many things to be afraid of at night, and now he has one more thing to be afraid of after they have shot everyone in the village below. What is that thing?
(a) Sleep since it is now filled with nightmares.
(b) The fire going out because of the danger of villagers who may have escaped coming to kill them for revenge.
(c) That he'll be left on his own since now sometimes the group moves in the nighttime and he has come close to being left behind.
(d) Sombo since he now comes in the night to tell Arn disturbing stories of his childhood.
13. The American man whom Arn at first calls Jesus Monk, later finding out his name is Mr. Pond, takes pity on Arn and gives him medicine to cure what ailment?
(a) Yellow Fever.
14. When the Little Fish receive automatic rifles, a tragedy happens. What is it?
(a) Arn shoots another boy from the dance group accidentally.
(b) Sombo leaves the group in disgust, saying the kids are being made to commit suicide.
(c) One of the boys from the dance group shoots himself accidentally.
(d) One of the boys from the dance group shoots Sombo accidentally.
15. The group of child soldiers led by Sombo and referred to as Little Fish with the Big Sting is comprised of how many children?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Arn that Sombo is only being mean in order to protect Arn from harm?
2. Once Sombo's group dwindles to a number of only seven kids, plus Sombo and Koong, they become so tired that they drop most of what they have been carrying. What are the two things they continue to carry?
3. Mek and Arn differ in their assessment of what their parting means. What are their two separate feelings about their separation?
4. Using the method of time measurement that Arn and the other captives must use, eight harvests means he's been held captive for how long?
5. When Arn finds Sophea lying motionless, he considers killing her to save her from rape, from murder at another's hands, or from being eaten by wild animals. He doesn't, instead choosing to take what action?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)