|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about Arn that makes the soldier let him go without even a warning when he is caught sneaking to Mek's tent in the night?
(a) His decision to stand up to the soldier and not allow himself to be controlled.
(b) His smile.
(c) His fame as a khim player.
(d) His kind words about the soldier's sister.
2. Once Arn and his group is allowed to stop walking and they form a camp, what two groups do the Khmer Rouge soldiers separate the captives into?
(a) Males and females.
(b) Cambodians and Vietnamese.
(c) Families with children and families without children.
(d) Former peasants and former city-dwellers.
3. What event causes Arn to wonder if he has become a monster just like the Khmer Rouge soldiers?
(a) He feels happiness at seeing Kha die, since now he is at least out of his misery.
(b) He feels happiness at hearing that one soldier has been murdered for speaking roughly to another soldier.
(c) He feels happiness at hearing that his rich neighbors have all been killed for their elitist ways.
(d) He feels happiness at the sight of the boy who previously got him into trouble being beaten by a soldier for being lazy.
4. The first person Arn sees in over a year who is not wearing a black uniform is the new leader who arrives at the camp. How does Arn describe his appearance?
(a) He is wearing a business suit.
(b) He is wearing black shorts and a white shirt.
(c) He is wearing a linen caftan.
(d) He is wearing white shorts and no shirt.
5. What method does Mek, the new music teacher, tell Arn that he uses to survive?
(a) He watches the birds fly.
(b) He thinks about one hour at a time.
(c) He dreams.
(d) He composes music.
6. While the captives subsist on tiny amounts of rice and garbage, what do the Khmer Rouge eat?
(a) Sardines, mussels, and clams.
(b) Caviar, foie gras, and steak.
(c) Grass, leaves, and clay.
(d) Chicken, fish, and lemongrass.
7. The Khmer Rouge tell the band that they are going on a trip and everyone is expecting to be killed. Instead, what happens?
(a) They embark on a tour of the agricultural fields in order to entertain the workers.
(b) They go to a nearby village and are ordered to kill everyone living there.
(c) They are permitted to go the Thailand border to see if they can find their family members.
(d) They are put into the back of a truck and driven around for hours in order to disorient them.
8. How does Arn find out unequivocally that the government soldiers who answered the Khmer Rouge's call to go to the airport were subsequently murdered?
(a) The Khmer Rouge soldiers drive through town announcing the murders they've committed.
(b) His friend's high-ranking father was shot.
(c) His little brother sneaks away to the airport and comes back to report to Arn what he's seen.
(d) He sees their bodies during the mass exodus from the village.
9. Sophea brings news that someone in Arn's family has died while calling out for him. Who is it?
(a) Their mother.
(b) Their sister Jorami.
(c) Their brother Munny.
(d) Their sister Mali.
10. What does Arn do with the food the kitchen girl gives him after she is done using him for her pleasure?
(a) He puts it aside in case he sees his family again.
(b) He gives it to the Khmer Rouge leader with the white shorts.
(c) He throws it on the ground and stomps on it.
(d) He gives it to Siv or Kha or Mek.
11. Which of the following is NOT a topic of the Khmer Rouge songs the children are taught to play with their musical instruments?
(c) God's love.
12. What does Arn do with the lump of sugar the kitchen girl gives him after she is done with him?
(a) He sneaks into Mek's tent and shares it with him.
(b) He gives it to Kha.
(c) He gobbles it down once he leaves her tent.
(d) He throws it into the jungle.
13. After asking Sombo many times why he is permissive with Arn and overlooks his breaking of the rules, Sombo reveals the reason. What does he say is the reason?
(a) He says that he has a special affinity for Arn because of his musical talent.
(b) He says that he hates what the Khmer Rouge make him do to punish children who break the rules, so he tries not to turn them in if he can help it.
(c) He says that he knew Arn's father before he was killed and that he feels a responsibility to take care of Arn.
(d) He says that he was an orphan who was forced to steal in order to survive as well.
14. When the five-year-old boy that reminds Arn of his little brother sneaks out night after night, returning only in the morning, what does Arn eventually find out he is doing?
(a) He is stealing rice from the kitchen.
(b) He is eating dead people's flesh in the mango grove.
(c) He is climbing trees to eat the fruit.
(d) He is attacking the Khmer Rouge soldiers from the jungle.
15. After the children in the band have had no rice for many days, the Khmer Rouge tell them they are getting a special dinner of banana peels, rice husks, and rotten pieces of food. Arn knows that this is usually the food given to which kind of farm animal?
(a) A horse.
(b) A pig.
(c) A goat.
(d) A chicken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event causes Arn to sneak out and plead with the new music teacher to start exerting effort in his teaching?
2. What product does Arn skip school to sell, much to the chagrin of his older sister?
3. What does Arn say that convinces the new music teacher to make more of an effort to teach the children?
4. What dance do Arn and Munny perform for the crowd outside the theater?
5. What reason does Arn give for not eating the human liver that the Khmer Rouge soldier forces him to cook?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)